shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you remember all your passwords?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
do you write it down on a piece of paper?

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Most of mine are fairly similar. At work, we need to change password every 60 days. I just add a # at the end. So it will be password1, password2, etc. I can't remember very different ones, and don't want to write them down lest someone find them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can never remember them. I often end up having to reset, which means I have to constantly think of new ones. I don't write them down. Maybe I should? :confused:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do, and I use the app 1Password to make sure anytime they're changed I keep them updated and stored.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yep.

Got lots of practice at the stockbroker office. Had my computer, email, brokerage company, and clearing firm to log in and all had to have passwords. Most had different requirements and couldn't overlap. A couple had to be changed every 60 days with elaborate requirements. The rest were every 90 days. None were allowed to reuse more than 3 characters from passwords for the last huge number of resets.

After that, banks and whatever at home seem easy!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, they are all alphanumeric and change regularly. I use a password safe. I remember a few that I use the most often but can't remember every one and they're all different for safety reasons.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
My passwords are fairly similar as well, using the number at the end like some here are doing. You can also do this trick. For example if you like whales, use species of whales as your password, bluewhale1!, humpbackwhale1!, etc... Just gotta remember what your current species are. Hahah it's fun!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
acebruin|1433801680|3886688 said:
My passwords are fairly similar as well, using the number at the end like some here are doing. You can also do this trick. For example if you like whales, use species of whales as your password, bluewhale1!, humpbackwhale1!, etc... Just gotta remember what your current species are. Hahah it's fun!

OOOH! I love this idea! I'm gonna do this from now on---thanks!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Password manager Apps like Last Pass. I have about 40 passwords for different sites and systems at work and probably 50+ for personal. No way I can remember them all!

I read that passwords based on actual words are not that secure, but acronym type passwords based on phrases are safer.

Eg, instead of "greeneggsham1", a better option is "I2lgeah4b!" (I 2 like green eggs and ham 4 breakfast!) with a seemingly nonsensical letter number combo, with added capitalization and punctuation.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
I never remember anything anymore. I now use the program onepassword and all I have to do is remember one master password. You can store credit card info as well. When you go to a site it will fill in the info for you once the program is open. I love it! You can have the program pick a random super safe password for each site or choose your own. You can have it change your passwords whenever you want to.

NonieMarie

Brilliant_Rock
For years I had a small notebook that had all the passwords and sign on names. To be honest, when I first started, I had stacks of post its. Now I use lastpass and it is so much easier. I would be in trouble if my laptop was stolen from my house because I don't sign in and out when home.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1433896719|3887125 said:
No. I feel like I am constantly resetting them.

Me too. It's a huge pain. And at work we have to change it every 30 days and we have 3 different passwords every time we log on and if we are not using the computer for more than 10 minutes it automatically logs us off so we have to log in all over again. :wall:

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolutely don't remember them. Since you have to change them up so often, just adding 1 more number or letter at the end becomes 25 number or letters later. LOL Then if you lose count, oh boy, hell to pay! I also updated my phone on the last IOS update last fall & was stuck in iCloud hell for days & 10 days later had Apple store peeps check it & fix it. I have since learned to write them down & stash them somewhere safe. I also have them in my phone & occasionally email them to myself. I do absolutely remember my email password so I never have issues getting in to my account. LOL Great question.

Judy

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results