Can you control your inner pedant?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I get:
The results are in! Your inner pedant is
10% under control
You're a bearly contained ball of rage.

I think they're giving me too much credit.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm 63% under control and "fairly tolerant." I know (A LOT) people who would argue with that assessment...

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
25% under control
You're strict like a schoolteacher.

I'll tolerate muddled idioms (they're usually pretty funny) but stuff like text-speak, obnoxious spelling, and grammatical oblivion drives me nuts.
Exhibit A: just a couple of days ago someone told me "you're supposed to pick up the slack when I drop the ball" :bigsmile:

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1386961947|3573752 said:
I get:
10% under control
You're a bearly contained ball of rage.

I think they're giving me too much credit.

17% and shocked that it wasn't less ;-)

April20

Ideal_Rock
31%. Says I get riled up easily. But I almost never hear the things they listed, so even though they make me crazy, I figure I'm not that high strung. :cheeky:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"13% under control
You're a bearly contained ball of rage."

Shouldn't that be "barely!???" :lol:

And here I thought I was being sooooo tolerant!

ETA - heard just now on the radio (Sheriff's spokesperson speaking) "The suspect was found and he has deceased." AAAARG!

But no, I did not harm the radio. :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1386965657|3573784 said:
25% under control

I'll tolerate muddled idioms (they're usually pretty funny) but stuff like text-speak, obnoxious spelling, and grammatical oblivion drives me nuts.
Exhibit A: just a couple of days ago someone told me "you're supposed to pick up the slack when I drop the ball" :bigsmile:

My score is 20% and I am also strict like a schoolteacher. I agree with Yssie. I also cannot tolerate text speak and obvious grammatical errors. I am far from perfect re grammar but I try. I also mix up idioms/sayings so often that my dh asks me if English is my first language hahaha. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use "I" and "me" incorrectly. That really annoys me.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
100% under control.

Of course, being somewhat dyslexic helps... and getting 49 out of 50... wrong... on my last spelling test in high school (where my teacher literately threw her arms up and screamed... "I give up") gives me tolerance.

Now lie to me - and its a different reaction.

The best people are those who build others up,

Perry

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1386968959|3573828 said:
25% under control

My score is 20% and I am also strict like a schoolteacher. I agree with Yssie. I also cannot tolerate text speak and obvious grammatical errors. I am far from perfect re grammar but I try. I also mix up idioms/sayings so often that my dh asks me if English is my first language hahaha. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people use "I" and "me" incorrectly. That really annoys me.

I'd better brush up before meeting you in-person one day! That's one of the ones I get lazy about.

My pet peeve is lay/lie (and laid/lain). Thou shalt not go lay down, darn it!
iDeviceSpeak... It does indeed render one all thumbs...
The saying "it is what it is". I'd managed to figure that much out for myself, oddly enough, but thank you for the re-appraisal..?
"I ought to". "I ought not". Not "I ought not to". If you're going to try to be stuffy for goodness sake at least get the stuffiness right!
Hmm... okay, maybe I'm more uptight than I thought :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
OK, before I head off to see how I fare, I have to tell you that as I was scanning the posts in Hangout while enjoying a much needed glass of wine, I saw the title and though it said "Can you control your inner pendant?".....um, do you think I spend too much time on a jewelry forum?

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
My inner pedant is 45% under control. "You're a bit persnickety". :D

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
One of my colleagues kept a list of daft things people had said in the office. The best one was, "We're all just prawns in the game of life"! :lol:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Smith1942|1386973390|3573875 said:
One of my colleagues kept a list of daft things people had said in the office. The best one was, "We're all just prawns in the game of life"! :lol:

In the game of prawns, you win or you fry.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1386973583|3573876 said:
Smith1942|1386973390|3573875 said:

In the game of prawns, you win or you fry.

:lol: :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
"56% under control - You're a bit nitpicky."

No surprise there.

DK :))

April20

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1386972578|3573868 said:
OK, before I head off to see how I fare, I have to tell you that as I was scanning the posts in Hangout while enjoying a much needed glass of wine, I saw the title and though it said "Can you control your inner pendant?".....um, do you think I spend too much time on a jewelry forum?

Totally read it the same way.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1386971199|3573850 said:
missy|1386968959|3573828 said:
25% under control

I'd better brush up before meeting you in-person one day! That's one of the ones I get lazy about.

My pet peeve is lay/lie (and laid/lain). Thou shalt not go lay down, darn it!
iDeviceSpeak... It does indeed render one all thumbs...
The saying "it is what it is". I'd managed to figure that much out for myself, oddly enough, but thank you for the re-appraisal..?
"I ought to". "I ought not". Not "I ought not to". If you're going to try to be stuffy for goodness sake at least get the stuffiness right!
Hmm... okay, maybe I'm more uptight than I thought :bigsmile:

LOL no worries Yssie. For some reason I don't think it would bother me if you mixed those words up. ;))
Meeting you IRL would be worth hearing any grammatical errors. :appl:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
18% under control :lol:

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
me?
110% under control.
perhaps I am more mellow than I appear........don't tell anyone!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was surprised I was 46% under control and only, "a little persnickety" rather than joining those who were , "balls of rage"! I suspect I gained points in tolerance because I do not mind what people do when they text or abbreviate on a computer. I would not expect to see an author publish a book in print in which he wrote, "RU" or, "LOL" so I am not terribly bothered by seeing those things.

Deb/AGBF

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
21% -- I'm a strict prissy schoolteacher and proud of it! And BEARLY under control??? Need to put red marker all over the face of the writer of the test! :nono: Write BARELY 50 times after school.

Smith1942 said:
:lol: :lol: Did you keep a straight face, Smith? Don't think I could have!

--- Laurie

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
I am 29% strict as a school teacher. I also thought someone had misspelled pendant. :lol:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
3% tolerant! There was one statement I wavered on, and if I had answered 'I can't tolerate that!' I probably would have had perfect zero :bigsmile:

I would challenge anyone to explain the differences between the lie/lay verbs to a class of 25 fourteen year old testosterone - charged guys. I couldn't keep a straight face either. :appl: :wavey:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak|1387031267|3574114 said:
21% -- I'm a strict prissy schoolteacher and proud of it! And BEARLY under control??? Need to put red marker all over the face of the writer of the test! :nono: Write BARELY 50 times after school.

Smith1942 said:

--- Laurie

Oh, the whole office exploded. (It was a really small department.) Imagine eight people ROFLing!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
isaku5|1387038936|3574152 said:
3% tolerant! There was one statement I wavered on, and if I had answered 'I can't tolerate that!' I probably would have had perfect zero :bigsmile:

I would challenge anyone to explain the differences between the lie/lay verbs to a class of 25 fourteen year old testosterone - charged guys. I couldn't keep a straight face either. :appl: :wavey:

Yeah, it's situations like that which put me off the idea of teaching! :lol: Only one thing worse than what you described above.....teaching them s*x ed!!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1387048064|3574241 said:
JewelFreak|1387031267|3574114 said:

Smith1942 said:

--- Laurie

Oh, the whole office exploded. (It was a really small department.) Imagine eight people ROFLing!

AHAHAHAHAHA! I can! :lol: :lol: :lol:

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Smith1942|1387048143|3574243 said:
isaku5|1387038936|3574152 said:

Yeah, it's situations like that which put me off the idea of teaching! :lol: Only one thing worse than what you described above.....teaching them s*x ed!!

Funny that you should mention s*x. That was another of my tasks - again to a boys only Grade 11 class.

The assignment was to choose a couple of paragraphs from an article in a recent Reader's Digest. The purpose of this exercise was to check on their oral reading skills. The fun- loving guys in the class chose a fellow who had no idea what he was saying, but the guys chose him and told me that he had chosen an excellent passage to read aloud. Sure.

It turned out to be a medical topic and the poor guy had no idea at all about what he was reading aloud. After the first sentence I knew that knowledge of his subject was absent, but I let him go to it and corrected his mis-pronunciations of words like vagina, penis, intercourse, orgasm etc. He stumbled on and the other kids were hoping I was going to stop him any minute. Not me. He proceeded until he had finished that part of the article.

I praised him for learning how to pronounce certain words and said nothing about the choice of article. To the dismay of the class, I told them that there was much to be learned from that reading and that if they wished, I had a dictionary so that all who were unsure of any of the words could be enlightened. In addition, I happened to mention that the library had a much clearer detailed explanation in their medical dictionary.

The students were totally deflated, but without further ado we moved on.

I chose teaching as a career because of the challenges. It was a perfect fit. :devil:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results