shape
carat
color
clarity

Can someone tell me about Miami?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
So, today it was -29 degrees outside. I decided, to break up the "frigid" I would start looking into our summer friends vacation.

Every year my husband and I take our friends on a week long trip to just get away, hang out, drink, do nothing. We generally go to Vegas because it's just a well rounded trip that I can plan on autopilot--something for everyone, dependable weather, great shopping. But, we're going on 5 years of the same old thing, and I'm just bored thinking about it. Now, that's not to say that I wouldn't go again, but I have this desire for something beachy.

I've thought about taking everyone to Miami for a few years now, but Vegas has always just been easier to plan. I love Miami and I adore South Beach particularly. I used to go every year over spring break and it was a blast. But we'd have to go in either late July or early August due to work schedules. I have some reservations because the trip advisors claim those months are really rainy...and I'm just wondering if I'm planning 8 days there, are they all going to be rained out? I know you can almost set your clock by the afternoon shower...but in those months does Miami get pounded by full day rain? I'd be setting up a couple of excursions, like going to Key West to snorkel, and I just worry we are going to get there are be locked in doors due to bad weather which would seriously ruin a beach vacation.

Also, for any area experts...if we do the Florida thing, I'm definitely leaning towards South Beach, selfishly. I am considering the Loews Hotel, because I've stayed there before and it's great and I can depend on an amazing level of service and beautifully appointed amenities...but is Fort Lauderdale a better hot spot for casual shopping, dining, and all the other stuff for the budget conscious of our travelers?

Some side information...

4 couples going, 8 people total
Late 20's-early 30's
Income varies greatly so I need to find a place where I'm not pricing anyone out. We pay for their hotel, flights and day trips...but meals and shopping and drinks are primarily on them.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Grew up vacationing there...actually was born in Ft.L. You'll be fine in those months. Loews is great, your friends will love it...can't speak to your friends' price ranges but they shouldn't have too many issues. Keys aren't far away and are a great day trip/overnight. You'll all love it!

Of COURSE SB is wonderful, but yes, Ft. L is better....you might plan on staying/shopping there and doing day trips to SB, KW, etc. My personal opinion is that you should book rooms in Ft. L. and party on from there. Lucky you!

Luv4ever

Rough_Rock
Lived in Miami for 6 years. Moved in 2008 but I agree with Monarch. You may get rain showers in the morning (if wind is from the east) or evening (Westerly wind) but its very rare to have it rain all day. But beware it is REALLY hot and muggy that time of year.

If you decide to visit South Beach you may want to warn your friends in advance about the fact that "Clothing Optional" is tolerated there (on the beach). :sun:

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Monarch and Luv4Ever!

I am going to look deeper in to Ft Lauderdale. I've never been, but when I spoke to my sister (Ft L is her choice vacation spot) she said it was great and very, very fun.

I was just primarily concerned about the weather. I didn't want to waste a week in rain, but a morning or evening shower is something I can handle. I found a great company that does a 13 hour tour to Key West with snorkeling on a reef which I thought would be a blast, and the good news is that they depart from both SB and Ft. L.

Thanks again for the info, I need to plan far out because it gives ample time for everyone else to get their vacation days settled and what not. And really, you've all made it fairly simple for me to get this started!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Italia, grew up in Miami, moved away some time ago but go down to S. Florida (West Palm Beach) at least 2x a year.

Weather that time of year: I wouldn't be stretching the truth by saying it's so hot and humid you feel like you can't breathe/think. But, I take it you'll be in air conditioning and/or at the beach. Beach is PERFECT in the summer. Constant ocean breeze and y'know you're on the beach. The sun is H.O.T. It feels like you have a heat lamp held next to your skin, so *definitely* pile on the sunscreen. It's NO JOKE down there. And I''m talking at least SPF 30.

Rain: usually in the summer it'll rain like no tomorrow in mid afternoon, then it stays steamy and humid afterwards. Basically the whole AM-midday the heat is piling up, the rain rolls in and everything's cleaned off and wet. Cycle repeats the next day. :)

Have fun.

~LC

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love Miami but NOT in the summer. It's soooo hot, humid and can rain a great deal.

Have you ever been to Nantucket?? Or Martha's Vineyard??

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Hi Italia!

I just wanted to chime in on Miami here. I've been there TONS of times, and I absolutely love it!! MH and I just went in August (stayed at Loews) and had a great time!! The weather was very nice (minimal rain) - but I wont lie, its VERY hot and humd at that time of year. You walk outside for 5 mins (even at 9pm) and you're soaked in sweat within a few minutes!!! However, even with that being said, we still enjoyed ourselvves immensely- just stayed inside in the AC mostly!! It was fine!

One thing I have to rave about is the beach. It was PERFECT. I am typically not an ocean swimmer because I'm afraid of not being able to see what's around me/sharks/jellyfish,etc, and when we went the water was so clear- like a pool, and sooo warm!! It was FAB, we spend most of our days on the beach in the water. We liked it so much we are contemplating going back again next summer.

If you can take lots of notes and keep this thread updated on what you'll be doing for your vaca that would be great! We would love to get down to Key West and snorkel- that sounds sooo fun!! :appl: What a nice friend you are to be planning this!!!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Hi Everyone!

So, I finally got a chance to have a pow wow with our friends and told them I was considering mixing it up a bit this year and going somewhere other than Vegas. They seemed okay with it, not thrilled, but okay until I mentioned Florida...that didn't go over so well. They weren't really "into it" like I had hoped. I have to admit, I'm disappointed. I was really hoping everyone would be excited, which they weren't.

I think they all really wanted to go to Vegas again. I remember that feeling, I felt the same way for 3 years, there was so much I hadn't seen or done and it was so fun I really wanted to go back and didn't mind taking the same vacation year after year. But, I'm burnt out on Vegas, and I cannot see spending that money just go do the same old thing for another 8 days.

I've busy looking up other locations that offer a mix of Vegas style fun and the beach location. I'm striving for a happy medium. I'm looking into Puerto Rico or maybe a long cruise. At this point I just really don't know.

But seriously, thanks everyone for the information. I am still considering taking a long, long weekend in FL just my husband and me so the information was helpful!

((hugs and thanks))

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
if you're paying for their flight, lodging, and activities, shouldn't they be thankful and not complain about a free trip?

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1295823291|2830782 said:
if you're paying for their flight, lodging, and activities, shouldn't they be thankful and not complain about a free trip?

Yes and no. I've found, in years past when I've paid for the entire trip, the traveling expenses are minimal compared to what you spend once you get there. Food, shopping, drinks all add up quickly. And, first and foremost, I want them to have fun. If they aren't into Florida, it's not the end of the world. I'd rather find some place we're all equally excited about than force a trip on them simply because I'm paying for the flight and hotel--that's not what this is about.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Italia. I'm in Florida...used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and just wanted to point out that July/August is the peak for hurricane season, so I would be nervous to book a trip just in case something pops up in the tropics. I would say anytime between Nov and May would be wonderful, but would suggest someplace other than FL that time of year, or at the very least make sure you can cancel/change your flight and hotel.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results