shape
carat
color
clarity

Can depression explain away animal cruelty?

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I won't even look at the linked page.'
In answer to your question, "Can depression explain away animal cruelty?"
No.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Hell no. She's a psychopath. I'd have no problems if someone microwaved her until her organs burst.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1393132872|3620992 said:
Hell no. She's a psychopath. I'd have no problems if someone microwaved her until her organs burst.

This.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG. Just the link name made me heave.

I cannot click on that. I won't be able to read that.

But I suffered from depression for years. And at times it was VERY severe. In my own experience depression enhances what is already there in a negative way. Plus it adds hopelessness and lethargy. It doesn't 'create' new personality flaws.

To me... this person was clearly disturbed as it was. And maybe the depression made things worse and enhanced the cruelty in her already present and combined it with poor decision making but... it didn't CAUSE the animal cruelty. That was in her heart already.

Hospatogi

Brilliant_Rock
Gypsy said:
OMG. Just the link name made me heave.

I cannot click on that. I won't be able to read that.

But I suffered from depression for years. And at times it was VERY severe. In my own experience depression enhances what is already there in a negative way. Plus it adds hopelessness and lethargy. It doesn't 'create' new personality flaws.

To me... this person was clearly disturbed as it was. And maybe the depression made things worse and enhanced the cruelty in her already present and combined it with poor decision making but... it didn't CAUSE the animal cruelty. That was in her heart already.
Hi Gypsy,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I'm sure it hasn't been an easy journey for you. I've had people in my life who have also been very depressed but with therapy, medication and plenty of love and support they are doing much better now. It really upsets me that this person is using depression as a defense for her actions . I really wish we had stiffer penalties for animal cruelty here. I bet she will probably just get a fine and probation whereas if this was a human baby she would be in jail for a very long time.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I won't click on it either.
I think that you've brought up two different things entirely. Can depression offer an explanation for the behavior? Yes. Can it explain it away and/or justify the behavior? No. Mental illness can explain why some behaviors occur, but that still doesn't make those behaviors somehow okay.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Explain it away? Of course not. What she did is deplorable.

Can depression or mental illness factor into abuse? Of course. For many reasons.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
No. I'm not going to read that article -- wish I hadn't read the link. Depression does NOT cause cruelty. More likely the opposite -- severe depression runs in my family & a story like that only deepens the sadness; before medication, that would have sent me to bed in tears.

As so often, this is a person who refuses to take responsibility for her own actions. Blame depression. Blame The System. Blame Twinkies. But don't blame me -- the devil made me do it! She's a sadist, period. I hope she pays for it on a higher level someday.

--- Laurie

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty|1393132872|3620992 said:

This. :angryfire:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow I really wish I had not read that link. :(

No.

Like everyone else has said, that has to be "in you" already for something like depression to bring it out.

Or you have to be mentally ill or a psychopath.

I often wonder what would happen if the laws were changed to not treat animals as property. The sentences these people receive are probably not enough.

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's depressive psychosis, possibly. You can't tell anything meaningful from this article.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, I wish I had resisted the temptation to read that. Thomas Harris- could be off about the name, I mean the guy who wrote "The Silence of the Lambs" - wrote a similar s end to give depth to a psychopathic character in one of his books. I thought HE as a sick **** just cor conceiving of such a thing, much less actually doing it. I read it as a teen and had nightmares for weeks. This will probably have much the same effect.

And, no, to answer the original question, this doesn't fit with a depressive diagnosis at ALL.

Put me in the camp voting for much harsher penalties for animal cruelty.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hospatogi|1393132227|3620979 said:
Hi all,

I just read this and it made me sad, horrified, outraged, and just plain shocked . Her defense is that she was depressed. I understand that there are many people in this country suffering with mental health issues. I get that we need a better system to help people. But I am having a hard time believing that anyone could do this and not have some kind of twisted psyche .
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/woman-microwaves-cat-minutes-dies-horrid-death-article-1.1698559
No, it cannot explain it away, frankly, nothing can.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Depression does not explain this. I think she's a psychopath.

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
A complete lack of empathy is a terrifying thing, definitely not opening this link.

hlmr

Ideal_Rock
Depressed people don't have the energy to be this EVIL!!! :knockout:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lulu|1393189582|3621342 said:
Depression does not explain this. I think she's a psychopath.

+ 1 either a psychopath or a halfwit or both. A large majority of the population suffers depression, that doesn't mean they will torture animals, children or another human being because of it.

Nyc2chigal

Shiny_Rock
Absolutely not!!!!!!
If you can't take it, give that poor animal a chance at life with someone else who will not put it in danger.
Period.

Makes me want to hug my little Zoe right now... :(sad

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Depression doesn't explain it. It's cruelty, simple as that. She killed the cat because it attacked her goldfish. Whose fault was that? Hers.

omg! Don't Google it, because there are actual images of the cat. None in the link, above. I'd be perfectly okay with exterminating people like her on the spot. No trial, no jury. Drag her out, shoot her, and feed her body to zoo animals.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I ... jesus, TC, thanks for saying, because I was starting to get curious as to whether any further information on this person had beenb released, and I have no doubt the imagery would stay in my head.

Animal cruelty of this caliber is usual more a sign of sociopathy than depression. I don't think I want to delve into what's apparently out there, but I do wonder if this is the first thing of this nature she's done, because it tends to be a thing that escalates over time.

FWIW - and I'm guessing not much necessarily - but an engineer friend attempted to provide solace with the info that in circumstances like these, the brain is the first organ to fail. So while the corporeal body may have suffered, it would have been effectively brain dead and not conscious of it almost immediately, apparently. I hope that's true. And I'm *not* googling to learn more, because I am a coward.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I don't know. I think she needs help AND she needs to be prosecuted. Depression should not exempt her from punishment. I wish there was a law that prevents animal abusers from ever owning pets ever again.

D

Deactivated member 42515

TC1987 said:
Depression doesn't explain it. It's cruelty, simple as that. She killed the cat because it attacked her goldfish. Whose fault was that? Hers.

omg! Don't Google it, because there are actual images of the cat. None in the link, above. I'd be perfectly okay with exterminating people like her on the spot. No trial, no jury. Drag her out, shoot her, and feed her body to zoo animals.

Why even let the zoo animals suffer by eating her? They are already suffering as is being cooped up in cages.

I say she is tortured every day until she is almost at the brink of death, for about 10 years (how long an average animal lives). Then gutted, made to eat her own intestines, then buried alive. Gruesome? I think not. I DO NOT tolerate the abuse of animals in any form. Eating or beating.

This woman is clearly a deranged psychopath that needs to be punished to the full extent of the law. No, further than that since I feel that animal cruelty laws needs to be harsher and more enforced. She should feel how it feels to be microwaved until she explodes.

Depression is an excuse. She MUST be punished.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my! :-o :angryfire: :nono:

I shouldn't have read that! Any form of abusing an animal should be severely punished.

I don't care what this "person" claims they suffer from. She is a sick sick heartless creep who should NEVER be allowed near animals or kids or anyone again. She deserves to go through just as much agony and pain as that defenseless kitten went through.

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
It's psychopathy. Karma is a bitch. Other people will punish her the rest of her life.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1393261814|3621947 said:
I ... jesus, TC, thanks for saying, because I was starting to get curious as to whether any further information on this person had beenb released, and I have no doubt the imagery would stay in my head.

Animal cruelty of this caliber is usual more a sign of sociopathy than depression. I don't think I want to delve into what's apparently out there, but I do wonder if this is the first thing of this nature she's done, because it tends to be a thing that escalates over time.

FWIW - and I'm guessing not much necessarily - but an engineer friend attempted to provide solace with the info that in circumstances like these, the brain is the first organ to fail. So while the corporeal body may have suffered, it would have been effectively brain dead and not conscious of it almost immediately, apparently. I hope that's true. And I'm *not* googling to learn more, because I am a coward.

I was just coming on here to post this. You are correct. I forwarded this article to a friend of mine who is a vet. She said the trauma from the radiation would have been so sudden and extreme, even though the cat remained alive it was likely already gone in the sense that it thankfully had no idea what had happened to it. Brain dead but still displaying mechanical reflexes during the process of death.

It is somewhat of a comfort to know that this poor animal's experience was brief pain into unconsciousness, then death.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is no excuse for cruelty to animals. The quasi-human scum that torture animals are cowards: they're afraid to get into a boxing ring and go one on one with someone who might hurt them.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
Madam Bijoux|1393275525|3622112 said:
There is no excuse for cruelty to animals. The quasi-human scum that torture animals are cowards: they're afraid to get into a boxing ring and go one on one with someone who might hurt them.

True. They always have to pick on someone weaker. I can't think of any animal abuser, or people-abuser for that matter, who wasn't a loser.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results