shape
carat
color
clarity

calling Sundial-thinking upgrade for earrings anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
I have been wearing these 2 ctw earrings for a little while now and am already thinking of the "next size up," keeping the quality (g-h si2 eye clean range) the same. I never thought I''d be comfortable with these for every day wear, but lately I''ve been experiencing shrinkage. I have looked at the archives here and loved the pictures I''ve seen. 2.5ctw seems to be just right. I drooled over that size when I first saw them in a group at the store, thinking instinctively that money aside-they would be my dream set. However, back to reality. I''m planning and thinking ahead. Would I regret the 2.5? How much size difference is there between 2 and 2.5? Is it that noticeable? I honestly can''t remember that kind of detail from seeing them back when. It''s just that every time I pass a mirror, I find myself saying to myself "oh, just a tad larger and I''m there!" Anyone else do that? I haven''t looked this much at myself since I was 17, and I''m 45! geez

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are 1.5 and I am wanting to upgrade in cut, color, and clarity. I''d really like to get it right this time! However, I need to get through my diamond ring upgrade before I can tackle that! Good luck and I can''t wait to see what you choose!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
There would only be about a half a millimeter larger... go to a jewelry store and see if you see the difference is worth it. Going from a 6.5 to a 7.0mm isn''t a huge jump but they should visually appear a little larger.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Diamondseeker2006 and MissPrudential, You know, I really shoud go look. I was thinking this morning the same thing--maybe the 3ctw would be "getting it right the first time" kind of thing for a little more. I''m being tempted by the fact that this store I deal with lets you trade other jewelry you''ve ever bought there for it''s full value, provided you pay again as much (solitaire anythings you just pay $1 more to trade). I have a bracelet I am thinking of trading that would help a lot.
The strange thing that I have discovered late in life, is that I can wear my smaller wedding set to fit in with friends and colleagues and then wear the honker earrings behind my hair--all it takes is a swept up do to pump up my look, at a moments notice. lol

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Justjulia I LOVE my 2.5 carat total weight studs and I wear them everyday with whatever I have on. However I traded in 1.5 carat total weight princess cut studs for mine so the change was very noticable. Go to your jewelers and compare to make sure you feel that there is enough difference to justify the cost. Personally for me these are my dream earrings and so far no shrinkage syndrome so I wouldn't go any bigger. Keep us posted on whatever you do!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 10:46:40 AM
Author: Sundial
Justjulia I LOVE my 2.5 carat total weight studs and I wear them everyday with whatever I have on. However I traded in 1.5 carat total weight princess cut studs for mine so the change was very noticable. Go to your jewelers and compare to make sure you feel that there is enough difference to justify the cost. Personally for me these are my dream earrings and so far no shrinkage syndrome so I wouldn''t go any bigger. Keep us posted on whatever you do!!!
Thanks Sundial,
That''s just what I wanted to hear. I don''t think I can swing the $ for the 3ctw, and they may be just over the top for my ears. I think the 2.5''s would be ideal. Thank you for the inspiration-I''m so glad to hear you are happy with yours and wouldn''t change. Now I feel good about it. I''ll let you know if/when I go look.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree that the 2.5 tcw would be a good upgrade and noticeable. 1.5 in each ear would be way over the top for me personally. I''m not sure I want 1.5 on my hand at the moment! LOL!

Anyway, I will attempt to attach a photo comparing sizes taken by Jonathan at Good Old Gold:

diamcompar1.jpg

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
You probably found this picture in your search but here is an ear shot of a 3 cttw set.
P1010219.JPG

I love this size but I think that having a more *reasonable* size is good to have in addition to this size... they complement eachother well. I''m getting an better quality 1cttw set and when I do I''ll post some pics. Sometimes I don''t feel comfortable wearing this size and think a 1cttw size would be better. I also have a .5cttw pair but those are just too small for me. They''ll soon be used as sidestones in some future colored stone ring.

Good luck! I''m sure you''ll find the perfect pair.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 11:22:31 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
I agree that the 2.5 tcw would be a good upgrade and noticeable. 1.5 in each ear would be way over the top for me personally. I''m not sure I want 1.5 on my hand at the moment! LOL!

Anyway, I will attempt to attach a photo comparing sizes taken by Jonathan at Good Old Gold:
How nice of you to do this! This helped A LOT.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 12:30:56 PM
Author: MissPrudential
You probably found this picture in your search but here is an ear shot of a 3 cttw set.
P1010219.JPG

I love this size but I think that having a more *reasonable* size is good to have in addition to this size... they complement eachother well. I''m getting an better quality 1cttw set and when I do I''ll post some pics. Sometimes I don''t feel comfortable wearing this size and think a 1cttw size would be better. I also have a .5cttw pair but those are just too small for me. They''ll soon be used as sidestones in some future colored stone ring.

Good luck! I''m sure you''ll find the perfect pair.
Yours are so goreous. I don''t think yours look too big, at all. Many of my clients wear this size- I''ll tell ya, I think it looks great to wear earrings like this with jeans! Do you wear your hair up a lot? Here''s the scoop on what I just found out. Dh called and they have a 2.8ctw pair that is at a good price because of the degree of inclusions (at least one has a feather when louped, but they say it is eye clean over the phone-si2) (a better price than the 2.5 they have). So maybe I can get the best of all worlds, somewhere in the range of what I''m looking for. I sure hope they are truly eye clean and have sparkle. I''d hate it if they were deadish. So, they are setting them in white gold as we speak and I''ll pick up tomorrow. Fingers crossed, I hope I like em as much as I hope I will!

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I do wear my hair up but I wouldn''t say I do it alot. I have short hair, however, so even when it''s down you can see the SPARKLE!

The 2.8 pair you found sounds very promising. I hope it goes well and they turn out lovely.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I actually changed my hair style after I got my new studs so they could be seen all the time!!! Is that the action of a diamond obssessed pricescoper or what?

Those 2.8 carat studs sound like they have potential Julia, so check them out and let us know. It will be nice to compare them to the 2.5 pair and the ones you already have. You certainly want them to be real sparklers!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 1:27:17 PM
Author: MissPrudential
I do wear my hair up but I wouldn''t say I do it alot. I have short hair, however, so even when it''s down you can see the SPARKLE!

The 2.8 pair you found sounds very promising. I hope it goes well and they turn out lovely.
Well, those earrings look FABULOUS on you. I couldn''t tell exactly from the picture if your hair was pulled up and back or was cut--but I like how your ears are exposed. Thanks for the good wishes.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/12/2006 2:04:11 PM
I actually changed my hair style after I got my new studs so they could be seen all the time!!! Is that the action of a diamond obssessed pricescoper or what?

Those 2.8 carat studs sound like they have potential Julia, so check them out and let us know. It will be nice to compare them to the 2.5 pair and the ones you already have. You certainly want them to be real sparklers!
Spoken like a true PS''er!!!! Dh is going to pick them up tomorrow on the way home from work. So, I won''t have the opportunity to compare or really be very picky. If he comes home with something that looks cloudy or not quite right, you can bet I''ll be takin'' em back. Hopefully, they will be good quality-I''m a stickler for a good cut. The only thing I don''t like for now is that they are not martini set. I''m soooooo excited tonight. I feel like I''m finally getting close to what I want my daily look to be.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi! I just wanted to say congrats...and to say that I went from one carat each that I got for a birthday years ago to substantially larger. My husband got them at Tiffany''s, and frankly, while they are large, I do not think they look too big, since my earlobe is not tiny. (we not only have to deal with ring size but lobe size too!). So, to me, it really depends on how large a space you have on your lobe and the proportions of the stones. I am actually having Tiffany''s "martini" or three prong them in platinum because they hang tipped, even with discs, because of my piercing location (looks ok with earrings on wires but for some reason not looking good with the studs) and also, because I think my lobes are not quite straight if that makes sense. I think, get the nicest and biggest you can and you will not regret it as long as they fit your earlobe without completely covering it. (some girls just have nice tiny lobes)...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 1:32:08 AM
Author: diamondfan
Hi! I just wanted to say congrats...and to say that I went from one carat each that I got for a birthday years ago to substantially larger. My husband got them at Tiffany''s, and frankly, while they are large, I do not think they look too big, since my earlobe is not tiny. (we not only have to deal with ring size but lobe size too!). So, to me, it really depends on how large a space you have on your lobe and the proportions of the stones. I am actually having Tiffany''s ''martini'' or three prong them in platinum because they hang tipped, even with discs, because of my piercing location (looks ok with earrings on wires but for some reason not looking good with the studs) and also, because I think my lobes are not quite straight if that makes sense. I think, get the nicest and biggest you can and you will not regret it as long as they fit your earlobe without completely covering it. (some girls just have nice tiny lobes)...
diamondfan, thank you. I am leaning that way hard... I am just worried about the clarity of the bigger ones in question. If these are not just "wonderful" I am going to wait. I worry about the drooping thing. I guess I''m going to have to wait and see how they do. Good pt about covering the whole earlobe-I''ll have to look at that. I''m going to have dh call me and describe how these compare when he gets to the place this am. I''m nervous as heck.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
what would you think about cleaning them really well, putting them away in the box for a month. After a month, get them back out. This works for me in shrinkage syndrome. makes me appreciate more too. ;> saves money too ha ha

edited to add: if you can delay for thirty days, then you will know that it's not a passing fancy.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 8:17:43 AM
Author: justjulia

Date: 5/13/2006 1:32:08 AM
Hi! I just wanted to say congrats...and to say that I went from one carat each that I got for a birthday years ago to substantially larger. My husband got them at Tiffany''s, and frankly, while they are large, I do not think they look too big, since my earlobe is not tiny. (we not only have to deal with ring size but lobe size too!). So, to me, it really depends on how large a space you have on your lobe and the proportions of the stones. I am actually having Tiffany''s ''martini'' or three prong them in platinum because they hang tipped, even with discs, because of my piercing location (looks ok with earrings on wires but for some reason not looking good with the studs) and also, because I think my lobes are not quite straight if that makes sense. I think, get the nicest and biggest you can and you will not regret it as long as they fit your earlobe without completely covering it. (some girls just have nice tiny lobes)...
diamondfan, thank you. I am leaning that way hard... I am just worried about the clarity of the bigger ones in question. If these are not just ''wonderful'' I am going to wait. I worry about the drooping thing. I guess I''m going to have to wait and see how they do. Good pt about covering the whole earlobe-I''ll have to look at that. I''m going to have dh call me and describe how these compare when he gets to the place this am. I''m nervous as heck.

The drooping can sometimes be dealt with if you use the plastic discs behind your ears. It creates a flat surface for them to rest against, on the other side of your lobe. I am hoping the martini setting really alleiviates it for me, because I cannot deal with people seeing the top or side of mine. What is weird is I do not recall them doing that before, suddenly I noticed it, so I wonder if maybe with some age my ear is drooping more? (yikes) but anyway, I am changing it to be more flat to the ear...I am excited about it. I am sure you will make a good choice, and if they are not special, take a pass til next time...there will be better ones for you if these are not suitable...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan is right, earlobe size really plays a part in how big a stud you can wear. I have large detached earlobes so my 1.25 carat each studs look just fine. As far as drooping goes, mine are set in three-prong martini settings and they do not droop. I am looking forward to hearing how you like these new earrings when you see them!!!

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Oh y''all,
I''m so disappointed. Dh called this morning and told me what I feared: they were dead. I think I educated dh enough to know frozen spit when he saw it. Alas, he finally got to see what I warned about. Anyway, different strokes for different blokes I guess. Some people would love them for their sheer size, but I''ve been doing this too long to go for dull, lifeless rocks. I should have known that the price was simply too good. Dh kept saying he loved what I already had. So, he came back with the 2ctw and I decided to keep them. I just can''t justify (read:afford) the 2500 or so for the jump to 2.5 for now. Well, do you think the grass is always greener syndrome is inevitable?
Here''s a question for you-would you wear earring jackets on 2ctw? Would that be tacky? Or would it give me that slight increase in size I am craving?
I''m just so down right now. These earrings are lovely and I need to just chill. Thanks for listening and your wise advice. I think I''m going to go drown my blues in a good cup of expresso.
39.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it will happen when the time is right...better to have your gorgeous ones and wait for better ones to come along! you will be happier in the long run...sorry though "sniff sniff", it is hard to be disappointed...

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 5:48:49 PM
Well, it will happen when the time is right...better to have your gorgeous ones and wait for better ones to come along! you will be happier in the long run...sorry though ''sniff sniff'', it is hard to be disappointed...
You''re right. Very very right. Man, this is hard. Well, I''m fortunate to have these and like you said, I''ll be happier in the long run. Patience is a virtue. (I know there''s some punch line that''s supposed to be here but I can''t think of it at the moment!) I''m trying to be positive. Ugh.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
So sorry the new studs didn''t work out for you Julia, but you don''t want to settle for anything less than super sparkly even for earrings! It is hard though to get your hopes up about an exciting new upgrade and have it fall through. Hang in there, the right ones will come along and you do have your beautiful 2 ctw. ones in the meantime.

justjulia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2006 7:38:04 PM
So sorry the new studs didn''t work out for you Julia, but you don''t want to settle for anything less than super sparkly even for earrings! It is hard though to get your hopes up about an exciting new upgrade and have it fall through. Hang in there, the right ones will come along and you do have your beautiful 2 ctw. ones in the meantime.
Thanks as always Sundial. You''re the best.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results