shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling DeeJay-DIY gel manicure ?

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I saw in the "what color are you rocking?" thread that you have your own UV light. Would you mind sharing which one you have and what you paid for it? Does it work with all gel polishes (I.e. gelish, OPI, Essie, etc.)? How do you remove the polish when it's time to re-apply?

Thanks so much for helping a girl out!

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I know I'm not the one you called for, but I have the DIY gel kit, too! I got the Nailene Sensationail set. I love it! It's around $50 for a starter kit, and they have very reasonable polishes and other products, like the base coat and primer. I really like the light because it doesn't use batteries, it comes with a wall plug. The polishes are $9, I think, and it's all available at Walmart.

As far as the polishes go, I mix and match, since the Gelish line has WAY more colors. The different brands all work well together, in my experience so far. I have only used Gelish and Sensationail, though. Sally Beauty has another line that I haven't tried, that is a bit cheaper.

I've been hooked for a bit over a year, and even in that time, there's easily 3-4 times more colors available. I get the Gelish ones from Sally Beauty, and have found some of my favorites on clearance for $5-$10. They're ~ $15 full price. Like I mentioned above, the Sensationail line is about $9 a bottle, and they have a fair amount of colors, definitely all of the basics are covered.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I realized I missed a question! Sorry about that!

I remove it completely the wrong way. Please take the next two sentences with a grain of salt, because this IS NOT the recommended method for removal. I file the surface of my nails until the color is gone, and then begin my re-apply. I don't like soaking my nails and fingertips in acetone, and that method takes MUCH longer. The directions indicate that you rough up the surface of the polish, soak the nails, and then push it off once softened. I find that it took MUCH longer to get soft than the directions stated.

I also wanted to add, I tried to use the gel top coat on top of normal, non-gel nail polish, and it was a total fail! It didn't work out at all, it didn't set right, looked awful, and was flaky and gooey at the same time. Very weird!

Do you have any other questions I can answer? I'm a huge fan, and I'll never go back to regular polish, or bare nails again. Well, I kept my regular polish for my toes, but for my fingers, gel for life!!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Wanted to chime in!

I do my on gels! I bought the Royal Nails UV lamp and nail dryer for 50$ on Amazon. Works AMAZING and you can fit both hands in it which cuts down the time spent doing the nails. I use all different polishes (CND, Gelish, etc.) and they all work very well.

Also, the UV lamp does have a built in fan in it if you choose to do regular polish.

Check it out on Amazon.

Manderz, we should post pics of our DIY gels :)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I would love to, but I can't ever get pics to post :( I always get some error or another. I'll give it a shot, though! BRB (have to clean my bling!)

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Here goes nothing... This is 2 coats of gelish Little Miss Sparkle, and one coat of Waterfield. I wanted the fuller coverage of Little Miss Sparkle, but the chunkier glitter from Waterfield.

_12906.jpg

_12907.jpg

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I just paid $30 to have mine done today, I would love to get a system and DIY it! Your nails look great. :bigsmile:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks Manderz and AN! You answered all of my questions and your nails look amazing! I'm definitely going to head over to Amazon and buy a light and some polishes! I spent $25 on mine yesterday....within a month, I'd be saving $$$! Of course, I'll have to get better at polishing my nails for them to look as good as yours, but I'm willing to try! ;-)

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Autumnovember|1387683025|3578940 said:
Wanted to chime in!

I do my on gels! I bought the Royal Nails UV lamp and nail dryer for 50$ on Amazon. Works AMAZING and you can fit both hands in it which cuts down the time spent doing the nails. I use all different polishes (CND, Gelish, etc.) and they all work very well.

Also, the UV lamp does have a built in fan in it if you choose to do regular polish.

Check it out on Amazon.

AN, I found one on Amazon, but it's showing at $199? Is yours the 54 watt?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
Happy to help!

Thanks for the compliments, too! Honestly, I'm still terrible with regular nail polish, but the gel nails are way easier to apply. The brushes and even the bristles are shorter, giving you more control. Give it 2 applications, and you'll have it down to a science! With regular nail polish, I can never get it nice and smooth before it starts to dry, and then if I do, it takes too long to dry, and I smack them into something (generally, I forget to pee first :roll: ) Then, I'd apply a second coat too soon. This system eliminates all of those issues, because the light cures it for you, no need to guess if it's dry, and it seems to smooth itself out.

Also, just wanted to add that at that picture, I was 1 week past application. I can't get more that a day or two without chips from normal polish.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
manderz|1387722351|3579064 said:
Happy to help!

Thanks for the compliments, too! Honestly, I'm still terrible with regular nail polish, but the gel nails are way easier to apply. The brushes and even the bristles are shorter, giving you more control. Give it 2 applications, and you'll have it down to a science! With regular nail polish, I can never get it nice and smooth before it starts to dry, and then if I do, it takes too long to dry, and I smack them into something (generally, I forget to pee first :roll: ) Then, I'd apply a second coat too soon. This system eliminates all of those issues, because the light cures it for you, no need to guess if it's dry, and it seems to smooth itself out.

Also, just wanted to add that at that picture, I was 1 week past application. I can't get more that a day or two without chips from normal polish.

Thank you sooo much for all of the helpful info manderz! So glad to hear that you think it's easier to apply than regular nail polish. I'll definitely get a pale color to start with so that any mistakes will be less noticeable! What do you do if you get some on your cuticles (before you've dried with the lamp)? Can you use a wooden skewer soaked in acetone to clean it off or do you have to start from scratch again? Do you happen to have a recommendation for a fairly light neutral color to start with?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EDIT: I keep trying to fix my post because the words are running off the right side
of the post box. Not sure what's going on here, but my apologies if this looks weird!

Yenny, I'm late to the game but you've been very well taken care of by our beautifully-
nailed PSers! (Manderz: :love: )

Some words of advice:

Do not EVER (and I mean N*E*V*E*R) peel the polish off. Even though it doesn't seem
like you're doing much damage, you're actually peeling a layer of your own nail off
with the polish. You will sorely regret this (trust me--I know people who have done
this and absolutely destroyed their nails). I can't speak to the method of filing the
polish off because I actually do soak it off with acetone (taking a course filing block
and roughing up the surface first). When I started doing my nails with this stuff a
couple of years ago the polish took MUCH longer to soak off, but now it's a lot better.

Another tidbit (which also gets to a question in your last post): Try your damndest not
to get any on your cuticles or the skin around the sides of your nails because that will
potentially lift and peel (adding the temptation to peel it off too). You asked about
being able to get any overage off with an orange stick; you can do this BEFORE you
stick your hand under the light (and you don't any acetone on it) but once it's set,
IT'S SET. You won't be able to get it off after that. This will sound goofy, but maybe
try doing your nails with a super light color and *on purpose* stay a bit away from your
cuticles (nothing crazy, just more than your normally would) until you see how the
polish handles. I do agree that it's easier to work with than regular polish so you may
be surprised at how easy it is (especially after a couple of time) to do it well.

My original kit came with the light, base and top coats, two polishes, and the stuff you
clean your nails with afterwards (I can't think of what it's called now... ). Speaking of
that stuff you use afterwards, your nails will be dry but sticky after you take them out
for the final time so do use that stuff. I am pretty sure it's a mix of acetone and alcohol
so when I run out (yes, I'm still using my original bottle from the beginning because you
use so so little) I'm just going to while up a bottle of my own. And don't worry about
using something with acetone in it to wipe off the residue because, don't forget, you
have to SOAK this stuff off with acetone, so the quick swipe with an acetone mix on a
paper towel or something will have no negative impact.

For the light color, my advice is to go with something a little more "translucent" than
"solid." I'm going to try to explain that because it makes no sense (ha!). Here is an
example (for illustrative purposes -- not with gel polish) http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmavenbride.com%2Fwedding-nail-polish-colors%2F&h=0&w=0&sz=1&tbnid=HeWgtlNuWcy28M&tbnh=170&tbnw=297&zoom=1&docid=ab8Fey97YoIgPM&ei=yAy3UofKJ-LM2AW9ioCYCA.......
My advice is to NOT go this route because it can look streaky.
Instead try something like this with a tiny bit of shimmer:
https://www.google.com/search?q=nail+polish+colors+light+skin&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=vQ23UrK9EOHq2AXenIDgDQ&ved=0CEgQsAQ&biw=1093&bih=549#q=nail+polish+colors+light+shimmer&tbm=isch&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=rwUs64WvR5lA2M%3A%3BZ8N-fFNBj-jEFM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stephscloset.com%252Fblog%252Fimages%252Fphotos%252Flarge-1877.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.stephscloset.com%252Fblog%252Fbeauty%252F2009%252F03%252F491%252Fcolor-club-catwalk-queen-spring-collection%252F%3B600%3B404.......

BTW, dark colors take longer to cure than light colors. When I do a deep red or
something like that I stick my hand in for an extra two minute cycle. Oh--that's
important! Make sure you get a light with a timer on it or else you're sitting
there watching the clock. Really annoying! And there are also LED lights that
cure in seconds rather than two minutes, but they cost HUNDREDS of dollars
(or they did the last time I checked). Final word on lights, if you're impatient
(like I am!) you can put both hands in the light at the same time. Just be careful
and make sure the top fingers aren't covering the bottom hand nails. It probably
makes no difference whatsoever but I alternate which hand is on top each time
I stick them in the light.

Whew -- this is a NOVEL! I'm sorry about that!!! I have a couple of pics on my
phone of recent colors (taken for other reasons but you can see my nails) and
if you want I can't try to post them.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just thought of a couple other things: The polish colors will likely not be the exact same as they appear on the samples or on the bottles. I've learned this over time. And I typically do three thin(er) coats of color rather than two thicker one. That's also important; paint with a light hand. Thinner is definitely better with this stuff. And DON'T shake it up first or you may get air bubbles.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thank you so much DeeJay! I really appreciate the time you took to be so detailed! I think I'm ready to try this out for myself! I'll let you all know how it goes....fingers crossed (but not while under the light! :cheeky: )

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm late to see this thread and am so happy to hear others love doing their own gelicures too!! I also love Gelish brand, and only use it anymore. I will say though, if you can find a LED lamp for a decent price on Amazon, go for that instead of the UV. I apply sunscreen on my hands then use acetone to remove oils on my nail bed just so my hands don't age that quickly... but since using gel polishes, I've noticed a change in my hands already. It's been around 2 years or so? My hands always feel puffy after coming out of the UV lamp, and they're red and irritated. I put up with it because I love how I don't have to do my nails for 2-3 weeks, and they look PERFECT, but I keep wondering about the longterm damages to my hands. I can do face lifts, neck lifts, and breast lifts... but I've yet to hear about a hand lift! And as fellow blingaholics and ringaholics, I'm sure this is a part of the body you all care for well too!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1387721520|3579059 said:
Autumnovember|1387683025|3578940 said:
Wanted to chime in!

Check it out on Amazon.

AN, I found one on Amazon, but it's showing at $199? Is yours the 54 watt?

Yep, 54 Watt and I just checked Amazon, I have no idea why its selling for 199$. My best friend and I both bought ours for 50.00$! I'm gonna have to do some digging when I get home.

For now, I leave you with some of my DIY gel manicures. My nails get so, so, so long after I do my gel nails for about a month straight!

The first color is Alpine, second is A little cream please, and the last is Every month is Oktoberfest.

If you do some googling you can find swatches of hundred of colors that people have done themselves on their nails and that will give you a better idea of what it will look like!

Also, when you do the base coat, make sure that your nail is cleaned off with alcohol beforehand. Do the base coat as thinly as possible. As for top coat, make sure you do not get ANY on your skin because you'll end up being able to peel of the entire coat of polish. Thin coat with top coat too. Clean off the top coat after it is cured with alcohol. If you don't, your nail will feel sticky and feel like its not dry.

screen_shot_2013-12-22_at_2.png

screen_shot_2013-12-22_at_0.png

screen_shot_2013-12-22_at_1.png

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks for the tips Madelise! I'll see if I can find a LED lamp at a reasonable price. When I get my nails done at the salon, I slather my hands with 50+ sunscreen...I definitely don't want my hands to age prematurely! :errrr:

AN, thanks for sharing your tips for good application and the colors. I LOVE the Everyday is Oktoberfest!

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Probably a stupid question: Can you use the lights with regular nail polish? If so, what do they do? I bought two bottles of Essie yesterday (OMGOSH! beautiful!) and was wondering still about the lights. Do they help regular polish dry fast/hard? :D

ETA: I got Nothing else metals and A Cut Above (especially for the name, but it's pretty too!) ;-)

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozy, the lights unfortunately don't do a thing for regular polish. There is "stuff" (a very technical term!) in the gel polish that gets "cured" by the UV or LED light rays, making the polish behave the way it does, but regular polish lacks whatever that special composition it. I think some lights do have a small fan in them, so that might add a tiny benefit to the drying process of regular polish, but that's really about it.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry cozy!

BTW, one thing to note for anyone thinking about the UV vs. LED lights is that some gel polishes don't work with the LED so if you go that route for the light make sure you're buying polish that's compatible or it won't cure. This thread convinced me to do a little more research on the light and I'm going to replace my UV light with an LED. I found one on amazon for $39... but the shipping is $17! Oh well, it's still the least expensive 18W version I can find, but that whole shipping thing annoys me.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
How do you know which polishes work with LED and which don't? Does it say it on the bottle? Which LED light did you get if you don't mind sharing?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yenny, the polish will say what it works with so just take a look at the description. I believe Red Carpet (which you can get at Sally) works with LED and I'm pretty sure Gelish does too, but please do check before buying because I would hate to have you rely on just my memory. (Senility at 43 is a terrible thing... !)

I bought this light:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CEIDWK6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I picked this one because it's 18W (as opposed to 12) and wide enough for two hands. I also like that it has a base on the bottom that you rest your fingers on as opposed to some that are open on the bottom (that may be more specific to the mini lights [i.e., that you can only use on one hand at a time] but for some reason I really want that piece of plastic rather than just having it light down onto my table or counter). The light should be at my house when I get home from these two weeks in Tahoe and I will let you know what I think once I do my nails (probably on the 4th or 5th at the latest).

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks DeeJay! I'll be anxious to hear what you think about the new light! Have a wonderful trip to Tahoe and have a Happy Holiday!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a link to a Gelish polish that specifically talk about UV:

http://www.amazon.com/2011-Summer-Collection-Harmony-Gelish/dp/B0057UR38A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1387917443&sr=8-2&keywords=gelish+nail+polish+colors

And here is a Red Carpet one that says it can be cured by both types of lights (with different times of course):

http://www.amazon.com/Red-Carpet-Manicure-Polish-Dressed/dp/B00BPL4VMQ/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1387917527&sr=8-10&keywords=red+carpet+gel+nail+polish

I've never paid too much attention to the "product description" before but now I will be sure to.

Happy holidays to you too yenny!!!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Twice I had gel polish and both times it took a good four months for my nails to recover, both times soaked in acetone to remove, no peeling. How do you manage? Second, there is a link between skin cancer and the uv lights. Doesn't that worry you?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1388080561|3580835 said:
Twice I had gel polish and both times it took a good four months for my nails to recover, both times soaked in acetone to remove, no peeling. How do you manage? Second, there is a link between skin cancer and the uv lights. Doesn't that worry you?

Mine don't get damaged whatsoever from it. Maybe it was the way they did it?

They have special gloves you can wear if it is a concern. I'm not worried about it, my hands aren't under there for hours at a time.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AprilBaby, I agree with AutumnNovember that the risk is probably pretty minimal from the UV light, but that being said I did just order an LED light! I would have gone that route in the beginning but they were SO expensive a couple of years ago that I couldn't bring myself to bite the bullet, but the cost has come down substantially so why not?

About your bad experience though; it's possible your nails just don't play well with the gel unfortunately. There is at least one brand of gel polish that sets in five minutes without any light. I read the reviews for you hoping I could give you some good news, but some of them aren't too positive and it doesn't seem to give the 10 day wear feature of a regular gel manicure, but it's supposed to last for several days. The brand is Nutra Nail if you want to google it. I really thought I saw another brand (Sally Hansen?) when I was at Ulta a few weeks ago but I can't find anything on it now. I'll keep looking for you and maybe it will pop up.

Just out of curiosity, how do your nails do with regular non-gel polish?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My nails are gorgeous with regular polish, even with removing it once a week. Right now the look like they went thru the meat grinder and my gel was done sept 9. The ends have been all split and brittle. Acrylics were terrible the two times I tried it. The nail beds turned blue and the felt very tight.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results