shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling Coloradoans

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Do we have any users up in Boulder? If so, I'm praying for you all.

For those unaware, a wildfire has caught in the boulder region. Many residents have already lost their homes :( It's about 30-40 minute drive from Denver, CO and there are reports of being able to see the smoke from the rockies stadium downtown if that gives you an idea of how big it is. Here's an except from the denverpost:

"As more than 100 firefighters continued to battle a wildfire in the Boulder foothills, more than 3,000 homes were ordered evacuated by this afternoon as a plume of smoke drifted over the Denver metro area.

Firefighters have now ordered mandatory evacuations of an area bounded in the west by the Peak to Peak Highway, on the east by Highway 36, on the north by Left Hand Canyon Road and on the south by Highway 119."

Read more: 3,000 homes evacuated as fire races through Boulder foothills - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_16005028#ixzz0ynmiC24M

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
Now I have to ask for some dust. The fire has spread and my sister's house is in the red flag path...She and her young son live there and it's a really beautiful house that they worked really hard to have and it would be really terrible should anything happen. I'm not worried about them having to evacuate as that has never been as issue. More concerned about their house and any health issues they might encounter from the smoke. I couldn't even see the mountains on my way to work in Denver today because they were consumed by smoke. Not a very good sight... :(sad

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I'm sending thoughts and dust up that way for everyone up there!!!!

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
The cabin my father built when he moved to CO is currently safe. It is south of the evac zone. It in the next mountain south, so it is at risk. If it gets close there is very little they can do. Global warming allows the pine beetles to thrive. They have killed a lot of trees in that area over the last few years and so it is about as bad as it can get as far as conditions go. For an idea of how bad the beetle problem is, Rocky Mounatin National park to the north regularly gets listed on most endangered places in the US solely because of the beetle damage. Without cold winters to kill them, they take over and unlike the last time there was a (smaller) problem in the 70s, we cannot nuke them with pesticides.

I am happy that it appears gold hill will be saved. It is this amazing mountain town I just adore right in the middle of all of this. It is all wodden Victorian buildings. Without the few power lines and cars, you would swear you have stepped back in time 100 years; it is stronger than I have felt anywhere else, including Europe and China, it really is like the 20th century never happened there.

The winds are expected to shift it back over the burn zone, which may be the only way to contain it at this point.

random_thought

Brilliant_Rock
brazen_irish_hussy said:
I am happy that it appears gold hill will be saved. It is this amazing mountain town I just adore right in the middle of all of this. It is all wodden Victorian buildings. Without the few power lines and cars, you would swear you have stepped back in time 100 years; it is stronger than I have felt anywhere else, including Europe and China, it really is like the 20th century never happened there.

I agree that if you have not gone through this town and you live in the area that you should check it out! I hope your father's log cabin stays safe bih

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results