shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Fancy Shape Owners

What is the shape of your e-ring center stone and why did you choose it over a RB?

• Emerald or Asscher

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Other - please explain

• Cushion or Flanders

• Oval

• Marquise

• Heart

• Trillion

• Old Miner or Old European

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We all know that the RB is by far the most popular shape. But for all you fancy shape owners out there, what shape is the center stone of your e-ring. Please post a picture if you like and an explanation of why you chose that shape over the RB.

icelady

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Cflutist,

I currently have a Radiant center stone. I had a RB for 15 years (still have it, but I chipped the girdle and now it is in a semi-bezel set pendant). When I went to replace the diamond, I really wanted something very different. I love the ''cracked ice'' look, and the cut corners of the Radiant, so that is what I sought for my replacement diamond. Even though you have categorized the Princess and Radiant together, they are extremely different looks!

Here is my diamond. Not the best pic! I cannot get a pic to do it justice!

P1000377 (3).jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi icelady, wow

30.gif
that is a very beautiful ring. This is the first time I got the feast my eyes on it. If we ever get to go out on your boat, we can see it in person?
12.gif
11.gif

The only reason I grouped Princess and Radiant together was because they are both straight edged, and thought that they have a brillant faceting pattern on the pavillion versus the step cut of an emerald. Is that true?

icelady

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Cflutist!

A boat and diamond party!

9.gif
I''m all for it!

I may be wrong here, but I thought that the Radiant cut was adapted from the Emerald cut. Both the Emerald and Radiant cuts have clipped corners, and yes, the Radiant has additional faceting on the pavillion and creates the ''cracked ice'' look. The Princess not only normally has pointed corners, but has a very precise facet pattern creating kind of an ''X'' across the face.

Actually, you may well have better info than I, especially considering your background!!! Let me know what your thoughts are!

9.gif

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Icelady, the faceting differences between radiant and princess are very well illustrated at http://www.radiantcut.com/images/what.html.  This is my 3-stone princess ring.  It was designed by my husband with absolutely no input from me.  Strangely enough, it's almost exactly what I would have chosen so I was thrilled! 

xx1a.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Fuffi, wow, another beautiful ring.

36.gif
. Really like the overall proportions of the center stone and the side stones.

Don''t you guys just love looking at all this eye candy?

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Man oh Man, I love seeing these beauties.

givemediamonds

Rough_Rock

That is a spectacular ring.

I chose a marquise because it looked better on my hand. I thought it accented my fingers better then any other stones (it makes them look longer). I also love Ascher cuts! But to me they made the size of diamond look smaller (I tried on a 1 ct and it didn''t even look like a 1/2 carat)

icelady

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks Fuffi, I have read the link you posted above in the past. I couldn''t remember where I had read that the Radiant came from the Emerald cut originally.

Your ring is very beautiful. That is sweet that your husband knows you so well as to pick out something precisely as you would have!

36.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock

I currently have a pear as my center stone. When I got married 18+ years ago, I had a 0.75 ct marquise. I traded that up for a larger marquise. Then just a couple years ago, I sold it to a friend and used the money toward a pear. It is currently not in a setting because I''m having an e-ring and wedding band custom made -- which has been a NIGHTMARE I might add.

8.gif
I have not posted about it because I''m way too emotional and upset about it at the moment. If the custom rings don''t work out, I may sell it and change to a traditional RB just so I don''t have to think about it anymore. Anyway, it a 2.07, E color, SI2 eye clean.

DiamondLil

mypear.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock

I''m just a square kind of gal. Don''t know why. As much as I love the look of the RB, I am just drawn to the square. I wanted something with big flashes like the RB so I picked the ''modern'' square cushion. It looks a bit round in this temp setting. The side stone on the left is just the right side stone superimposed! Ana (Valeria) did it for me b/c I''d like to go with side accent stones in a Leon Mege setting! :)

P.S. Great thread and great rings so far!

threestonering1.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
a close up

mycushion1.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/14/2004 4:34:45 PM
Author: diamondlil

When I got married 18+ years ago, I had a 0.75 ct marquise. I traded that up for a larger marquise. Then just a couple years ago, I sold it to a friend and used the money toward a pear.

DiamondLil

DiamondLil, my background is very similar to yours. Started out with a .75 E-I1 marquise (which is now in a pendant), then a 1.47 F-VS1 marquise (which is now in a RHR), then a 2.05 D-VS2 Oval (which I later sold), now the 3.01 F-SI1 pear.

Your pear is very pretty. Love the length to width ratio on it. Hope all goes well for you on your custom ring.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mmm, your cushion is also very beautiful. Isn''t this the third or fourth stone in your quest for the perfect stone? I think I''ve read about three of them since I joined PS in July 2004. The side stone looks just perfect with your center stone. I like the overall proportions of the two (for now). Good luck in finding another side stone, hope it is soon so you can complete your ring.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Yup! My orig was a princess...and that was sold...then there was a princess stone that I kept for a while but consigned...so those two count...but then were two princess stones that only lasted a day or two each though b/c of inclusions...so they don''t count. LOL......Gosh darn jeweler''s lights...those should be outlawed!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I have always been drawn to the fancy shapes because they are different and they are, in my opinion, a little more "artistic" than the more popular RBs. (Hey I am a musician). Also, since I have skinny fingers (size 3.75), I like diamonds that are longer than wide. That explains the two marquises, the oval, and now the pear (skipped over the emerald cut because I didn't like step cuts as much). On a skinny finger I think a 3ct pear (which is 7.9 mm wide) would look better than a 3 ct RB (which would be 9.4 mm wide). I know, the light return on a pear is no where near that of a H&A RB, but I like it anyway.

I just rememberd ... I have 24 .10ct Princess cuts in my RHR too.

small_P7210726b.jpg

goldengirl

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve chosen an RB as my ering stone....but my next acquisition will definitely be a cushion. I love square cuts and I love the faceting pattern of the newer cushions. Okay, either a cushion or a jubilee. Both are freakin'' gorgeous.
30.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emerald or Asscher cut owners ... any pictures you would like to share? So far, these are the most popular fancy cuts.

mostlywatching

Rough_Rock
I chose the emerald cut because I thought the RB was too common for me.  I wanted something classy and elegant that would look great on my small (3.75) finger.  My ring is an emerald with trapezoid sidestones.  The setting was custom made by my local b&m jeweler.  I don''t have any great pictures.  Pardon the dust in these (it''s a VVS1, so they are definitely NOT inclusions)

3423766723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D66%3B%3D54%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3A73%3A99%3C3ot1lsi

3423766723232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D66%3B%3D54%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3A739%3B99%3Aot1lsi

3423766723232%7Ffp64%3Dot%3E232%3B%3D66%3B%3D54%3A%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3A73%3A57%3A9ot1lsi

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Round diamonds just don''t do it for me, even though I admire them very much. I love the deep, mesmerizing effect of my EC and the way it sucks me in visually. Plus, I''m just more partial to squarish shapes. This is not a good picture of the stone, but you can get a sense of what the set looks like.

My right hand ring, incidentally, is an OMC. I also love the older cuts because of their charming, imprecise facets. I just find them full of personality in a way that newer cuts don''t.

myset.jpg

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
I have a Regent, is it correct that I voted under "Other"?

Since I was going to buy over the net, I knew I wanted something different from a RB and unique in its own right. It didnt hurt that the Regent is not available where I come from.
31.gif

I initially started on PS looking at ovals because of something I read in a magazine about Toni Braxton''s ring and what wearing ovals mean. I soon came to know about the regent from reading about how people were loving the (then) newest fancy shape. From there, I went on GOG, saw the pictures and absolutely fell in lust. I also love that it is my first well-cut "big" diamond; biggest (poorly cut) stone I owned before was 0.33ct.

newcollage.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mostlywatching and hest88:

I love the elegance and sophistication of your rings
30.gif

The trapezoid sidestones really complement your center stone MW.

And hest88, your setting is very beautiful and so unique.

Love both of these rings
36.gif

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tomatoe, your stone is so unique that it is not listed as a choice on Leonid''s diamond search which is where I got the list from.
Sorry about that. Would you say that it is closet to the cushion cut?

Another beautiful ring to feast our eyes on
36.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I have several RB ranging from .42ct to 1.24ct, but it just doesn''t do it for me. I have long 3.25 fingers, and RB just looks weird on my hand. I do like the way marquise looks tho, but they''re quite dangerous on me.

This is by far my favorite ring. It''s not an engagement ring (it''s not even a diamond), but it''s exactly what I want
when I do get engaged. It''s a Flanders Interlap set in a custom made ring by my local jeweler, and I got it as a fun ring to wear on cruises and vacations!

fortekitty4.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any more fancy cut owners want to post a picture? Would love to see an Asscher?

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2004 4:53:32 PM
Author: cflutist
Any more fancy cut owners want to post a picture? Would love to see an Asscher?

EDITTED TO ADD: PLEASE DO NOT USE MY PHOTOS WITHOUT MY PERMISSION!

Here's my 1.77ct I color/IF asscher:

whiteflash2.jpg

But I didn't pick an asscher over a round. I have 3 rounds (.99ct, 1.64ct, 2.28ct), a 2.01 ct. pear, a 1.01 ct. marquise, a 1.12 ct. radiant (light yellow). I alternate wearing all of them as my ering. I just love the variety!

Here's a picture of all but the asscher (plus a few extra ;-) ):

handful.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MaryAlaina, you asscher is just beautiful. In fact, it is my favorite of your rings. Is it new? I don''t recall seeing it
in your previous posts?

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! No, it is not new. I''ve had it over a year now. Hubby gave it to me for our anniversary last year.

njc

Brilliant_Rock
Hest! Your rings are amazing! I love them!
30.gif
And Im not a huge fan of emeralds, but i dont think your ring would look the same without it! I am in awe.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results