shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying glasses online- has anyone done it?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone bought glasses online? I'm considering it because the costs for the lenses are much cheaper than a B &M store, but am scared that the fit and prescription could be really off and I'd have no recourse to fix it. Any specific sites that you'd recommend?

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
We did recently have a thread on this and I discovered www.zennioptical.com.. I uploaded a straight on pic of myself to the site, measured the distances they needed and was able to "tryon" several styles. I did order a pair of prescription sunglasses with progressive lenses and they were PERFECT for me when they arrived!! just what I wanted and the prescription was spot on to my regular $700 eye dr glasses!! these cost me $135... no brainer where my next pair are coming from!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am a royal pain for this, I have yet to have them be "right" on the first or even second try, so I talked myself out of it. I wanted a pair of Warby Parker frames but the idea of sending back and forth was not gonna work for me.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I wonder if you could try Sears-B&M store. They have different levels of pricing and I got 2 pr for 149.00. Most eyeglass places are controlled by one company. They have diferent names on the outlets under their umbrella. Sears has many styles and an eye exam is included. Costco also has eyeglasses. Call each store before to price compare. My Sears glasses are fine for me.

Annette

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Ame, I'm like you- I'd be afraid of having to repeatedly send back and forth.

I've looked in quite a few boutique stores here in DC, as well as the standard chain ones. The issue is that I am Asian and have the typical Asian lack of a nose bridge, which means plastic frames generally aren't doable for me, since they don't have the nose pads that I need. I also have the high/fat cheeks so I have to take that into account. I also prefer my frames to be titanium since my eyes are -9 and -8 (getting better! used to be -10s) and titanium helped make the glasses lighter, but it's hard to find titanium frames that fit my needs.

My one store that I've gone to for years has fairly competitive prices (20% off, which according to what I've seen online, is about par with online prices), but their lenses are killing me. I get the 1.74 high index lenses and they want $449 plus another $150 for the anti-reflective coating (though, I would then get 20% off that price too). Everywhere else, even online, charges much, much less for their 1.74 lenses and includes the AR coating.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I purchased a pair from 39dollarglasses.com. I used a coupon code, so they were even less than $39! Probably like $24, and they are on upromise! I was losing glasses left and right. My daughter takes them and hides them!! Anyway, I didn't want to spend $400+, so just went ahead and got cheapies. My husband orders from them and won't even consider paying retail prices for glasses. When my RX changes, I'll probably get a pair of nice glasses and a few pairs of cheapies. Aside from the toddler issues, I tend to lose things anyway. The $39 glasses work great, but they do not sit perfectly, but I'm sort of ok with it for the price. :$$):

A co-worker recently had an eye exam, and they would not give him the measurement for the distance between his eyes! My doctor gave me that info, no problem.

Alistra

Shiny_Rock
If you don't have your pupillary distance on your RX, be very careful to measure it correctly. I ordered a pair, and although they were cute I was a bit off on my PD measurement. I had to send the glasses back, and haven't bothered giving it another try.

diaby2AFC

Rough_Rock
Pupillary distance can easily be measured by holding a ruler up to your eyes in front of the mirror. It's better to measure at least twice (using both sides of the ruler and/or bottom and above your eyes) to get a consistent reading.

Buying online is definitely twice (or even more) as cheap as going to a store. I've spoken to some optical professionals and there is nothing they hate more than these online outfits. They have plenty of harsh words for those that seek out online glasses. Fair enough to them for being upset for having some of their business taken away but they don't take this issue lightly.

I'd say, unless you know all your measurements exactly, it's best to have them taken by someone qualified. You wouldn't want your eyes to be permanently damaged by having your eyes adjust to an improper lens that's off by 1mm would you?

My dilemma is I found a frame I really like online and it's about 200 bucks cheaper than in the store (even after insurance). The thing is I don't even know how the frame will fit on my face.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Diaby brings up a good point. Most of the online stores have a restocking fee per frame and the ones I'm looking at are over $200. If I get 3 or 4 pairs to try on and end up returning most, if not all of them, that's a lot of money wasted in restocking fees!!

For those in the know, is there also something called an optical or optic center that's measured, or is that the same as the pupillary distance? Last time my lenses were done, they had to redo because what they called the optical center was off. I thought it was described to me as where your eyes hit the lenses vertically, as opposed to the horizontal measure of the PD. Am I making this up??

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Logan Sapphire|1360350440|3375422 said:
Diaby brings up a good point. Most of the online stores have a restocking fee per frame and the ones I'm looking at are over $200. If I get 3 or 4 pairs to try on and end up returning most, if not all of them, that's a lot of money wasted in restocking fees!!

For those in the know, is there also something called an optical or optic center that's measured, or is that the same as the pupillary distance? Last time my lenses were done, they had to redo because what they called the optical center was off. I thought it was described to me as where your eyes hit the lenses vertically, as opposed to the horizontal measure of the PD. Am I making this up??

You would need the vertical PD if you're making bifocal or transitional lenses, and also if you're making a pair with a very large frame. Some people have higher nose bridges than others, so they need to know where the glasses would lie on your face. Most of us Asians have flatter nose bridges (or non-existent nose bridges), where glasses lay much lower on our face. The giant thick black plastic pair of glasses that everyone is into now (think Wayfarers) lays very low on most of my previous Asian customers' faces, and we had to do a vertical and horizontal PD measurement since their eyes were basically at the very top of the glasses.. unlike how someone with a strong nose bridge would wear it higher up on their faces.

If your RX is a straight distance or reading, without any astigmatism.. It wouldn't matter as much. For those with astigmatism, it's very important to have the lens centered.

Coastal.com does free glasses every so often. I think they're doing it right now. I've had a few friends get a few free pairs through Coastal. I have yet to peruse that site. I go to my old employer for glasses. I like Crizal Alize lenses (extra anti-reflective.. kind of like Polarized but non-sunglasses), and I would never trust myself entering #'s and it being read wrongly, or missing an extra measurement or something.. on $$$ lenses.

Maybe I should get a free pair just to toss in my purse, though?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For Asians, I recommend nosepads. I can't stand plastic myself, unless it has a small bridge, but plastic definitely have to try on myself first.

Or if any frame is branded as "global fit" or something similar, basically means for Asian noses. You can have someone else measure your PD, or get it from your optometrist.

I don't know if you REALLY need 1.74 high index. The super hi-index lenses have more distortion, which kind of negates me getting super-premium AR coating.

ETA: I'm a -9.50 sphere, and have 1.67 hi-index on mine.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just recently heard about these sites and I am going to use them for sure! The price difference is huge! Too big not to give it a try.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
http://glassyeyes.blogspot.com/

has a ton of information. He might go for weeks without posting anything, but it's a great place to start.
I get mine from Costco because I have to try them on. (Roman nose, as in roamin' all over my face.) Plus they're cheaper with no insurance than any other place with insurance. Plus they make damn good lenses.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How successful you will be actually has a lot to do with how "severe" your prescription and eye problems are.

I cannot even get a local "mall" "Instant - make your glasses onsite" place to get my prescription right (I have had 3 failures at that - and no such "instant - grind the lens onsite" ever made me a pair of lenses that worked). I later talked to a person who worked at one of those places and she told me that they only tried to get the lens approximately close, and would loose money if they actually ground lenses to the prescriptions because of the time involved to get the last 25% of the curve right.

I have severe astigmatism (so high I cannot wear normal contacts) and need a fairly high correction. In order for me to be able to properly see I also need a custom base curve (the base curve is the curve ground on the front of most lenses - and then they grind the correction into the back of the lens). The vast majority of these places only use standard base curve blanks - which can affect how well you see and if the lenses magnify or shrink the world through the lens.

A high refractive index lens, and then various coatings also help.

If you only need a low correction lens, do not have much astigmatism, and could not really benefit from some of the special coatings - then you will probably do OK if you can get them the right dimensions.

In my case - I work with a local eye doctor who pays special attention to ensure I get the right lenses (and they take longer than most of the glasses they provide). He uses a specific lab for "highly technical" lenses such as mine, which is different than their normal lab for most of their other glasses.

I gladly pay the cost of this - good eyesight is worth its weight in unobtanium. Such a pair of glasses was the difference in me being a good enough international level whitewater slalom judge to be chosen to be an official at 2 world championships and an Olympics.

To put this in perspective - just my lenses and coatings alone typically cost more than most people pay for an entire set of glasses (including the frame)

I guess it all comes down to how much you value good clear eyesight. I also wonder how many people have actually had a "near perfect" prescription so they could see the difference it makes versus "just good enough."

Edited to add this comment: You do not always get what you pay for (some people/businesses do rip you off); but, you never get what you do not pay for.

Have a great day,

Perry

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I'm totally surprised no one has mentioned Costco! I have done the online thing when I've found designer frames in store (copied down the model number... bought online) but most of the time I go to Costco!

You mentioned High Index lenses... theirs were way cheaper than the place I went online even. I've had no issues at all and am very pleased with my glasses. I buy glasses once or twice a year because A) I buy <$200 glasses, and B) I'm very hard on them. I also like leaving a pair at work, a pair at my desk, and a pair on my bedside stand.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
perry|1360406951|3375944 said:
How successful you will be actually has a lot to do with how "severe" your prescription and eye problems are.

I cannot even get a local "mall" "Instant - make your glasses onsite" place to get my prescription right (I have had 3 failures at that - and no such "instant - grind the lens onsite" ever made me a pair of lenses that worked). I later talked to a person who worked at one of those places and she told me that they only tried to get the lens approximately close, and would loose money if they actually ground lenses to the prescriptions because of the time involved to get the last 25% of the curve right.

I have severe astigmatism (so high I cannot wear normal contacts) and need a fairly high correction. In order for me to be able to properly see I also need a custom base curve (the base curve is the curve ground on the front of most lenses - and then they grind the correction into the back of the lens). The vast majority of these places only use standard base curve blanks - which can affect how well you see and if the lenses magnify or shrink the world through the lens.

A high refractive index lens, and then various coatings also help.

If you only need a low correction lens, do not have much astigmatism, and could not really benefit from some of the special coatings - then you will probably do OK if you can get them the right dimensions.

In my case - I work with a local eye doctor who pays special attention to ensure I get the right lenses (and they take longer than most of the glasses they provide). He uses a specific lab for "highly technical" lenses such as mine, which is different than their normal lab for most of their other glasses.

I gladly pay the cost of this - good eyesight is worth its weight in unobtanium. Such a pair of glasses was the difference in me being a good enough international level whitewater slalom judge to be chosen to be an official at 2 world championships and an Olympics.

To put this in perspective - just my lenses and coatings alone typically cost more than most people pay for an entire set of glasses (including the frame)

I guess it all comes down to how much you value good clear eyesight. I also wonder how many people have actually had a "near perfect" prescription so they could see the difference it makes versus "just good enough."

Edited to add this comment: You do not always get what you pay for (some people/businesses do rip you off); but, you never get what you do not pay for.

Have a great day,

Perry

You make some excellent points Perry.

If you have a simple Rx and you can get the glasses much more cheaply at one of these online places well, you have little to lose to try it. But, no one is going to go to the extra trouble it takes to make sure it fits exactly right and that all the measurements are exactly correct. You cannot expect your local optician to take the time and trouble if you are not ordering it from them.

If you have anything above a simple Rx you have a higher probability of running into trouble. That includes any type of bifocal Rx (lots of more complicated measurements involved with this) or a higher Rx as Perry points out.

Having said that if you have a basic Rx and the cost is much less and you can afford to take the chance then you have little to lose. And for an extra pair of glasses or 2 it just might be the way to go. Many private practices cannot match the online prices because they buy in such bulk that they get it much more cheaply than your doctor's offices.

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Logan Sapphire,
I have some friends who've gotten good results w/ the usual places (e.g., Warby Parker as well as the Chinese/Korean manufacturers). But they all have pretty straightforward, low prescriptions. I have terrible eyes (worse than -7.0) and would never buy online because I'm sure these glasses would either be: 1) too thick or 2) compressed thinly, but without regard to distortion.

So if you have a reasonable prescription, I'd give it a shot. :)

EricaR

Ideal_Rock
I just went through all of this! After a recent eye exam the doctor led me out to the displays of glasses and immediately started pushing the high end brands. I found a pair I really liked, and after insurance they were about $300 (been a few weeks so I forget the exact cost). I told them I needed to think about it. Walked out and drove over to Costco. There I found the exact same frames and without going through insurance the glasses cost $200. I ordered them and went home feeling smug.

And then I got online and started reading. A vast majority (85%+) of glasses sold in the US come from one company - Luxottica. Luxottica is crazy crazy powerful in the world of eyewear. They own the factories where frames and lenses are made, they own the labs where the lenses are ground down and fitted to frames, they own big name brands (Oakley, Ray Ban), and they own the retail shops where glasses are sold (Sunglass Hut, etc). Oh, and for good measure they also own one of the two largest vision insurance companies in the country. If you want a good idea of just how powerful they are, google and read about how they forced Oakley's owners into selling their company.

The frames you are wearing now (if you wear glasses) probably contain $3 worth of materials. If they have a fancy designer name on the side, add $15-20 for licensing fees. (Pssssttttt. Tiffany, Chanel, etc don't design the frames. Luxottica does and in some cases the brands don't even sign off on the final designs.) My optometrist admitted that he pays an average of $35 for a pair of frames, then turns around and marks them up to average of $300. Say what?!? Look, I know you have to make money. And I'd much rather keep money local than sending it off somewhere else. But I'm not willing to pay a 1000% markup. The frames I fell I'm love with are not some fancy brand name. They were marked at $250. I got him to show me the pricing sheet on that brand - he only paid $19 to Luxottica for them.

So now that I new just how little those "fancy designer" glasses actually cost, I started looking into shops online. Like someone above said (I'm on my iPad and can't scroll up to see) I found Zenni Optical. I asked around and found there were several people I knew who had purchased from them and were very happy. The online reviews were glowing. One review site had more than 600 reviewers, and they had an average of 4.5 out of 5 stars. I knew the general shape that works best for my face, so I went to the site, uploaded a photo of ,y fave, and started trying them on. Once I settled on a pair of frames I added my lenses. The total, including shipping and a fee for having a strong prescription (-4.5 in one eye) my total was $50. $50!!!!! I figured it was worth a shot. By then it was too late to cancel the Costco order so I just figured I'd have two pairs.

The one from Zenni arrived three days earlier than the ones from Costco. The quality is fantastic! There is no way someone would know that they are "cheapies". Even with my strong-ish prescription, they are dead on. I actually find them to be much more comfortable than the Costco ones and quite a bit lighter.

Here is one photo I took. On the left is a pair of $150 coach sunglasses (Luxottica) that some lovely PSers gave me. On the right are the $15 frames from Zenni. I am thrilled with them. Next up - sunglasses! Zenni will add a tint to any lenses for just a few dollars. I've always wanted prescription sunglasses!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1360485027.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay EricaR!! That was me - I ordered from Zennioptical and I have another pair on order as well --- my sunglasses are perfect for me (and I was prepared for them to be just a waste of money) so with that success under my belt, I'm trying some rimless ones - just because I can!! And with my Rx, they came to $83 + shipping to Canada... not a huge risk if they work out!

I'm glad you had a good experience as well! and thanks for all that info on Luxottica - very interesting.

diaby2AFC

Rough_Rock
Yes, wholesale prices are like 10x cheaper than retail.

Has anyone tried replacementlensexpress just for prescription lens?

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Perry brings up some excellent points. I think I've been dissuaded from doing it online. I don't have a straightforward prescription- I have astimagtism which is worsening and being Asian with my unique nose bridges and face shape, I think doing it in person would be the best bet. I've been very happy with the lenses my boutique store has done for me for the last decade, but I think I will ask about the lens prices. They want $449 for the 1.74s plus $149 for the anti-reflective coating, which seems pricey to me. All the other B&M stores I've gone to include the AR coating automatically with the 1.74s and it's cheaper. Hmm...

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
I on the other hand have been intrigued enough to give it a try.
I uploaded my picture and have tried on several pairs and as soon as I get my prescription from home, I'm ordering !!

I just got "Paula Deen" glasses in December. So I've used up my insurance for the next 2 years.

I have in the past purchased Brighton frames in a boutique and took my fairly strong progressive lens prescription to Costco, and they charged $12 per lens for my own frames ( a setting fee I guess) and the glasses were 1/2 of what my eye dr wanted for way cuter frames. They were great.
I have used them for sunglasses too.

This last time I used Walmart because my eye dr bought the franchise there and with insurance my glasses cost $344.00 . More than Costco but less than her old place.
I have always admired Penelope on Criminal Minds virtually unlimited eyeglass collection, so I figure online is the way to go. I cant wear contacts so I wear glasses literally until I fall asleep and immediatly upon waking, so few cute pair seem like fun.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did an eye exam and ordered a new pair of glasses a little over a week ago:

I thought I'd post what the cost of the Glasses were from my local eye clinic:

Retail Prices:

Altair Ultraclip Frames (with magnetic clip on Polaroid sunglasses): $180

Verilux Comfort Lenses: $165

Coatings & Tints: $135

Special Custom ground base curve & ensure the lenses are ground right: No Charge; but it takes about an extra half a week to get the glasses.

Total Retail: $480

After Insurance coverage: $268 (pd in full)

I normally get a few years from a pair of glasses too (and I can do that due to the coatings I put on the lenses, and I take care of the glasses). My current glasses are 3 years old.

Hope that provides a cost check.

Have a great day,

Perry

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Perry, that sounds like a great deal to me! My frames usually run around $300-400. Lenses are usually around $400-500. I have federal health insurance which doesn't pay for glasses, though places usually give a 20% discount.

I did find a couple of great options today. The top two contenders are $657 and $698, which is definitely cheaper than others I've looked at. One guy (who was quite odd) told me that I had some of the biggest cheeks he'd ever seen and that clearly God didn't intend for me to wear plastic frames. true, but so rude to put it like that!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ms P|1360413175|3375972 said:
I'm totally surprised no one has mentioned Costco! I have done the online thing when I've found designer frames in store (copied down the model number... bought online) but most of the time I go to Costco!

You mentioned High Index lenses... theirs were way cheaper than the place I went online even. I've had no issues at all and am very pleased with my glasses. I buy glasses once or twice a year because A) I buy <$200 glasses, and B) I'm very hard on them. I also like leaving a pair at work, a pair at my desk, and a pair on my bedside stand.

We have done Costco too.

daintyG

Brilliant_Rock
I got mine from Coastal.com. First time customers can get select frames for free, plus any lens upgrade and s/h. I paid $25 once I added coatings to the lenses and had them shipped. I got it right on the first try just by typing in the dimensions of my current glasses--they fit almost as I had expected. I called customer service and they said that if you don't like the glasses for any reason, you can return them.

san diego searcher

Rough_Rock
I'm intrigued by Warby Parker but Costco also has comparable prices. This is my first pair of prescription sunnies. Both WP and Costco offer polarized. I can try on in person at Costco or can do the try five pair with Warby. Does anyone know which is better quality as far as lenses and frames?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results