clarity

bros and football

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This may just be because I am in a severly p!$sy mood, but I am sooooo annoyed

Some guy on Facebook tonight posted "im not into football "

I jokingly responded with "wrong answer"

So if course now I see all the other things all his guy friends are posting.

Some guy a few minutes ago posted "did you say that with your mouth or your va....."

Oh good gracious I was ready to rage. That so offensive. Sexism in general gets me in a rage but why is it that a woman can't be into sports?

I listen to ESPN radio in the car on my way too and from work. There is an afternoon local radio show that unfortunately is replaying when I get out of work. Along with their utter lack of quality radio personality, the host constantly calls people who don't appreciate this or that aspect of some sport "skirts"

I don't know. Its just so ignorant. 34% of NFL viewership is female. So what present is that of the email population that watches football. I'd wager at least half.

Ugh. Just my pet peeve for the day.

Restore the roar.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
That is incredibly offensive--it doesn't happen to me often, but if it does, I just block and move on. :angryfire:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Are you sure that the guy was saying that to you and not the guy who originally said he wasn't into football (in which case it's also offensive but also really funny)?

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
Add me to the list of people who find this highly offensive!! :angryfire: I can't stand it when calling a man "a woman" or using any other indication of female anatomy is to be seen as insulting.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, it's offensive. Those comments are ignorant and offensive.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411|1378474799|3515574 said:
Are you sure that the guy was saying that to you and not the guy who originally said he wasn't into football (in which case it's also offensive but also really funny)?

This. Neil you have absolutely misunderstood the post! The guy was saying that about the original guy that said he didn't like football! He was making fun of him, basically calling him a "girl" for not liking football. It had nothing to do with you!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1378483093|3515670 said:

This. Neil you have absolutely misunderstood the post! The guy was saying that about the original guy that said he didn't like football! He was making fun of him, basically calling him a "girl" for not liking football. It had nothing to do with you!

No youve misunderstood my post I think. I'm annoyed that a man who doesn't like football gets called a woman.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Niel|1378483303|3515674 said:

No youve misunderstood my post I think. I'm annoyed that a man who doesn't like football gets called a woman.

Ahh. Okay. Yeah the phrasing of your post was misleading. You said "Why is it that a woman can't be into sports?" but nobody ever said that they can't. Many women, myself included, watch football. It IS probably generally accepted that on the whole, however, men are culturally expected to like watching sports while women are not, and therefore it's a joke that if you're a man and don't watch football, you're a "girl".

People make fun of me because I'm a girl that doesn't cook, clean, do laundry, or want kids. I understand that cultural norms, albeit perhaps unfair, indicate that most women do those things. Ehh. No harm done.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1378484060|3515688 said:
Niel|1378483303|3515674 said:

Ahh. Okay. Yeah the phrasing of your post was misleading. You said "Why is it that a woman can't be into sports?" but nobody ever said that they can't. Many women, myself included, watch football. It IS probably generally accepted that on the whole, however, men are culturally expected to like watching sports while women are not, and therefore it's a joke that if you're a man and don't watch football, you're a "girl".

People make fun of me because I'm a girl that doesn't cook, clean, do laundry, or want kids. I understand that cultural norms, albeit perhaps unfair, indicate that most women do those things. Ehh. No harm done.

By saying he's a woman by not liking sports is asserting the idea that most woman aren't which simply isn't true. And the concept of insulting someone by calling then a woman is annoying. As I said its a pet peeve. Maybe it doesn't bother you but I find it flipping annoying.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results