shape
carat
color
clarity

bloody dog nose???

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm working on about 2 hours of sleep here so I apologize in advance for any typos or less than fully coherent thoughts...

I just did the morning feeding routine with our animals. When I went to wake up our oldest dog (she is around 20-21 years old!), I noticed that she had a little trickle of blood coming out of her nostril.

There was some blood on her bed yesterday but I couldn't find anywhere she was bleeding. I checked all of our other animals (4 cats and another dog) and no sign of bleeding on them either. There isn't much blood on her bed. Just a few spots all day. (by spots I mean more than a drip but not large -- sort of the size you get if you spill a few drops of wine - bigger than you'd expect for a few drops but not huge)

What was coming out of her nose was very thick and sticky. Almost like it was already starting to dry because it was moving so slowly. Not a lot, but a noticeable line from one nostril.
The color is sort of dark. Not like bright red fresh blood.

Anyway, any help?
Anyone seen this in their dogs (or cats)? Could this just be the change in weather to dry cold air? (DH & I have had some problems with our noses bleeding just a little over the last week or so)

I just did a search on bloody dog noses and it turns up everything from maybe she just sneezed too hard all the way up to cancer or serious fungal infections.

(Now I'm off to get a couple of hours of sleep since my vet is closed still and I'm not going to be awake enough to call her if I don't get a couple more hours!)

ETA:
Editing to add some details that may be useful.

She is at least 20 years old. Likely 21.
She has lumps (a couple almost palm sized) all over her body. The couple that were biopsied a few years ago were not cancerous but the vet told us any of the lumps could be or could become over the years.
She also has an ongoing problem with ear infections. We have to use prescription medications (at least ear rinses and sometime pills) almost yearly and more if we don't use over the counter stuff frequently (like ear cleaning solution once every week or two and sometimes daily for a week or two).

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you live where it gets cold? Our kitty used to get bloody noses around this time because the air was so dry.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1416415453|3786490 said:
Do you live where it gets cold? Our kitty used to get bloody noses around this time because the air was so dry.

It isn't super cold, but it has been getting down into the 20s at night. She doesn't like to be out in the cold so she is in most of the time, but it is drier inside than she is used to also . Our dehumidifier is mostly off now but says the humidity inside has been getting down into the 40s (as opposed to our usual 50s with much effort, 60s+ if not actively dried).

DH and I have been getting mild nose bleeds in the last week so that could easily be it!

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my. I'm a veterinarian, and I would recommend taking her to your vet. Could be anything from abscessed teeth to cancer, but whatever it is it isn't normal. Especially if it has never happened before.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ecf8503|1416451832|3786894 said:
Oh my. I'm a veterinarian, and I would recommend taking her to your vet. Could be anything from abscessed teeth to cancer, but whatever it is it isn't normal. Especially if it has never happened before.

Thanks for chiming in! It is great to hear from a professional because it is so hard to know what is likely to be nothing much (and likely to just get better on its own) and what is an urgent OMG get it checked out sort of thing. (like my poor kitty who was seeping blood and we figured it was just part of heat :oops: )

That is sort of what it looked like from my Google search....

I did chat with my vet today when I took one of our cats in for an antibiotic injection (she just had an oviohysterectemy due to serious infection). She says that she isn't too worried yet but to keep an eye on her for the next few days.

She did just have her teeth cleaned last year and another check up with teeth in great condition. I was also able to get a pretty good look and they are all still looking pretty decent. I think cancer is far more likely, unfortunately.

DH just chimed in that he thinks one of the cats scratched her. I didn't see anything but she did have the blood on her at the time. I'm going to look closer and see if maybe that is the issue.

Thanks again!

I'll post more as I see more and let everyone know how it is going and what the vet finds if we have to go there.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
I hope your dog is ok and that its a simple explanation like your cat scratching. Please do update when you get more info.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my kitty did that and we took her to the vet she has a tumor and cancer :(sad she got diagnosed in March and she is till hanging in there, but she is getting close to the end, we took her to the vet last week and she thought she had maybe a month left. I hope you dog isnt anything extreme like our cat (she is only 9) but I would take her the vet and get her checked out.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bleeding on and off. Mostly just a little here and there. A couple of worse days, but usually like 10 minutes and more smears than blood.

She has been happy, comfortable, and enjoying life. Out to play with a ball in the sun and her favorite teddy bear in the house.

Now it is 2:30 in the morning. She has been bleeding since around 10pm. Stopped for a bit then going again. Had to haul out carpet cleaner while she sat outside. Couldn't bear to have her in rain. Set up baby gate and took her and her bed into the hall. I am sitting here with her now. If it gets any worse, I will need to make a call for the vet.

Really want her to get better tonight. I want more than anything for her to have a good week and enjoy another Shabbat dinner then just go to sleep in comfort and not wake up.
I know that isn't likely.

She has been my puppy for more than 20 years. My heart is breaking.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been sitting here with my sweet girl all night. She is doing a bit better but I know I will have to make a sad decision soon. I won't let her suffer...

4260eb41cf3681cc353fc8f169f1bfe6.jpg

dog-quotes-9.jpg

emilysquotes.jpg

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Still not better. I've been up all night. She is calm and reasonably comfortable, but I can't let her go on like this.

I'm going to give her an extra yummy breakfast and call the vet. The lady who I was going to have come out isn't there any more. Hoping someone else will drive over here. Worst case, there is a nice vet just a mile away. Can call them and beg them to come over.
Don't want to put her through the trauma of a car ride when they upset her so much any more.

My heart is shattered. I knew this day would come but it is too soon.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, toopatient, I'm sorry. I'm thinking of you both right now and sending love to you both. You are a wonderful doggie mama. I hope a vet will come out to you, I completely agree about the stress of the car ride. Home is best. 20-21 years old, oh my goodness, that is a long relationship btw you two. I know you love her very much. Lots of your friends here at PS are sending love and calm thoughts to you.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm really sorry for what you're faced with needing to do for your beloved furbaby. I was in this situation a little over a year ago, and it's a tough decision to make to know when it's the right time to let go. Often, our 'selfishness' of not wanting to let go, not wanting to give up, not wanting to endure the pain of the loss takes precedent, so my thoughts are with you, and I wish you strength and love with your furbaby during such a difficult time. Just know that it means the world to them that you're there for them and make them comfortable, and he/she will be waiting for you at the Rainbow Bridge. ((hugs))

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both.

It has been a rough night sitting up with her. She is sleeping right now finally.

I have a wonderful woman coming out today. Will know specific time soon. She is a full out veterinarian highly recommended by a trusted source. Will do a short exam first (basically just assess, not like a full exam) and let us know if there is any treatment options we may have missed it anything like that. I feel better with this than one of the many home euthanasia people who do just the euthanasia. I would hate to look back and wonder if we could have done more to give her a longer (while comfortable) life.

I have also found a well thought of crematorium that does truly or i hate cremation and has very good tracking to make sure no mix ups. They even allow the family to watch as much as they would like. I can't do that, but I like that they are so open.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient and diamondrnglover, I am so sorry about what your are going through with your pets. Sending you both hugs.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh Toopatient, I am so sorry. What a sweet baby! Many Hugs and prayers that this is not the end and you have more time with her.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear this!

Dust to you and your beautiful, furry friend.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry. This is heartbreaking. Take care.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too Patient,

I am so so sorry. i wish there was something I could do to take away your pain.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hugs and sending peaceful thoughts to you and your fur babe that her passing is swift, without fear, and filled with love.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for your kind words of support.

Sentra enjoyed a last walk through her yard and sat with her favorite bush for some time. Got to drink fresh rainwater and then come in for some more snuggles.

She laid down on my feet and drifted off to sleep. Lots of pets and happy stories then a gentle help to drift the rest of the way. She was ready. It was all so peaceful and quiet.

I am thankful that she was healthy and happy right up until almost the end and left it clear that the time was here. No ambiguity. No regrets.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too Patient, I am so so sorry. Sending you hugs and love and glad Sentra went peacefully without pain surrounded by love. (((Hugs))).

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so sorry, TooPatient. You gave Sentra the very best life and she knows it. Sending you dust to help mend your heart.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too Patient,

I'm so sorry. Her last few hours with you sounded so peaceful and full of love. You gave her a wonderful life and surrounded her with love. I can only imagine how hard this is on you and am so sorry.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient...If I were a dog I would want you to be my owner. Lots of warm thoughts for your lovely girl and you during the
difficult time.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Goodness, very sad. Healing vibes across the miles....

Sharon

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am so so sorry TooPatient. ;( As a fellow dog lover - I know this just breaks your heart. You did the right thing, she is happy, calm and at peace now without any pain or fear. Thinking of you at this sad difficult time. :blackeye:

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
I'm heartbroken for you and so very sorry for the loss of your beloved family member. Thinking of you and sending lots of healing dust.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh TooPatient, I am so sorry. I was hoping to come back and find your baby had rallied. So very hard. My thoughts are with you.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh no, I am so very sorry TooPatient, this is such a hard thing and my heart aches for you - sending thoughts of comfort to you, I will be keeping you in my thoughts during this painful time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results