shape
carat
color
clarity

bling pics on ipod/phone, address in bag...security risk?

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I think this is a no sh*t sherlock post but the other day I put a couple of the photos I'd recently taken of my engagement ring onto my iPod and off I went shopping. I realised while I was out that I'd recently used the map application to find directions from my house to an appointment and that, when I went into that app those directions were still the first thing on the screen.

That, coupled to the fact that since I have absolutely no important or confidential data (other than those few pics) on the iPod I don't have a screen lock on it, made me realise that I was asking for trouble. :???: So I deleted all photos and changed the map app screen info.

Just thought I'd mention it because it is a random combination of factors that could lead to a horrible situation. Could be that one had one's address on something in a bag and the phone/pod whatever with pics loaded. Don't want to make anyone paranoid, but thought I'd mention it.

But I could well be the only one dumb enough to set up such a combination of factors.... (probably)

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Re: bling pics on ipod/phone, address in bag...security risk

Good point!

I always have a screen lock on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laughinggravy0|1339016666|3210674 said:
Hi, I think this is a no sh*t sherlock post but the other day I put a couple of the photos I'd recently taken of my engagement ring onto my iPod and off I went shopping. I realised while I was out that I'd recently used the map application to find directions from my house to an appointment and that, when I went into that app those directions were still the first thing on the screen.

That, coupled to the fact that since I have absolutely no important or confidential data (other than those few pics) on the iPod I don't have a screen lock on it, made me realise that I was asking for trouble. :???: So I deleted all photos and changed the map app screen info.

Just thought I'd mention it because it is a random combination of factors that could lead to a horrible situation. Could be that one had one's address on something in a bag and the phone/pod whatever with pics loaded. Don't want to make anyone paranoid, but thought I'd mention it.

But I could well be the only one dumb enough to set up such a combination of factors.... (probably)
I always have a screen lock on but I also have a passcode lock now after my phone being stolen previously.

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock

Oh certainly, if it was a phone I'd put a lock on it. But its an iPod Touch and I listen to audio books deeeeeep into the night and found the screen lock a real hassle when half asleep.

But then I think iPods are more directed at kids, I guess adults and older kids use smart phones. My step son (13) got an iPod Touch a few months ago, a little while after I got mine. We love 'em :twirl:

My phone is very much not a smart phone (can you have a dumb phone?) That's locked. I really don't like phones at all, so I can't bring myself to spend real money on one.

Pics and address - worth thinking about.

Ame, sorry to hear about that. That must be a horrible feeling. I have forgotten mine twice, and each time its been handed into the nearest logical place (receptions both times) and I have no doubt at all its because it isn't considered worth keeping by any one other than me. On the other hand, I make loosing them an Olympic sport.

Anyone use the 'wipe my iPhone/pod' app? Long distance, hard disk wipe.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Yep. We used "find my iphone" to track the people who stole it and when appeared we weren't going to get it back, we just hit remote wipe. This person stole it deliberately. They reached into my purse and took it, probably trying to get my wallet which is HUGE and would've been noticeable to walk out with. Either way, still frustrating. If I found a phone, I would try to call it's owner first, and if that didn't work I'd turn it in or give it to the police to reach it's rightful owner. I just hate that people take someone else's stuff.

Laughinggravy0

Shiny_Rock

That does suck!
I'm sorry. When you do that remote wipe does it disable the phone too? Damn well should - lock down the hard disk (or whatever the brain of the phone is called - not the world's most tech person).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

Laughinggravy0|1339094279|3211311 said:
That does suck!
I'm sorry. When you do that remote wipe does it disable the phone too? Damn well should - lock down the hard disk (or whatever the brain of the phone is called - not the world's most tech person).
No, it doesn't, it just wipes all your personal data off and restores it to factory settings. To shut it down you have to call the carrier and get the number moved. Unless it's on a CDMA carrier (Verizon or Sprint) the problem is that the thief can then just hook it up to his computer and restore it to whatever his info is, and it's his. Vzw and Sprint literally kill the phone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results