shape
carat
color
clarity

Birth Control = Bad Mates???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ei yi yi ... this article says that the Pill makes women pick "bad mates".???!!!

23.gif

(personally, haven''t been able to tolerate BCPs for a decade. and I *did* date some losers back then. HEH!)

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Cool study. It makes a lot of sense!

26.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
This, along with MANY other articles I''ve read recently, really makes me wonder what type of havoc the pill is causing in my life.

I''m seriously considering finding an alternative because I honestly believe the pill has changed me, and I''ve been on it for 5 years.

I''m scared I''ll be a completely different person when I''m not on it anymore.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
BCP''s = Birth Control Pills

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 12:18:52 PM
Author: CrookedRock
BCP's = Birth Control Pills
Hahaaha! Thanks, CR! My mind was on undesirable characters synonymous with losers... I was like, "Bad Clothes P___?" "Big Clueless Poops?"

Hello!? Mama needs coffee!
28.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 11:55:44 AM
Author: elledizzy5
I''m seriously considering finding an alternative because I honestly believe the pill has changed me, and I''ve been on it for 5 years.
I had terrible problems on them ... especially when I was transitioning from on to off or off to on. Mood swings, anxiety, ferocious anger ... blerg. Anything hormonal just
32.gif
''s me. So no Nuvaring, no Depo .. nothing easy. Sigh.

Ended up with a good old fashioned diaphragm (sorry if this is TMI).
3.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 12:51:40 PM
Author: decodelighted

I had terrible problems on them ... especially when I was transitioning from on to off or off to on. Mood swings, anxiety, ferocious anger ... blerg. Anything hormonal just
32.gif

3.gif
Rarely is something "TMI" for me.

I don''t know much about diaphragms, are they hard to use? Painful? Any downsides?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 12:53:02 PM
I don''t know much about diaphragms, are they hard to use? Painful? Any downsides?
It took a while to get comfy w/the application & removal. More, um, involved than a Tampax -- heh! And, certainly, it cuts down on the spontaneity. To be *super* honest & TMI''ey -- we''re *kinda* using the rhythm method now -- since the wedding 2 yrs. ago. Will go back to diaphragm when its beyond my generally healthy reproductive years -- unless menopause kicks in early & I needs some of those juicy hormones to keep me "normal". HA!

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Huh, that''s really interesting. I started dating DH when I was off the pill, and I do recall being fond of his personal smell. Eight years of BCP and a nasty sinus infection later, well, nothing smells like much! Very cool, thanks for sharing!

As an immunologist, I''ll have to look into this more- hormone control of MHC detection? Wierd.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I used diaphragms and an IUD. I used the sponge for awhile, until it failed.
39.gif
38.gif

The diaphragm was a PITA after awhile, but since I haven''t been lucky with super long term partners (if you could call that unlucky, considering some of the guys) I didn''t have to use anything for years and years.

Nothing is TMI for me. I had a baby, after that one can pretty much talk about anything.
41.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Very interesting . . .

I do remember finding certain men''s smell much more appealing pre-BCP, and can''t really tell much these days. Good thing I picked DH before being on the pill!

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I have been on BCP''s since I was 15. (Had major ovarian cysts and other probs... Then just stayed on them for other obvious reasons) I have dated PLENTY of losers in my past, up until I got together with my hubby. I am still on the pill though, so I don''t know about all that chemical stuff. Maybe we were just meant to be, BCP''s or not!!
28.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Interesting article...I chose DH without any BCP to influence my thinking and our relationship has lasted a long time. DD must have been conceived during honeymoon without any protection at all. My OB/GYN suggested the diaphragm as protection so followed his advice and was "fitted" for it. Unlike many women who''ve just given birth, I was super- h**ny, and didn''t reach for the darn diaphragm many times because I was too involved in "the fun" and the darn thing was awkward; plus there was a sort of gel that had to be applied before insertion. TMI?

Five months after DD''s birth, I was preggo with DS. Having two kids 14 months apart is no picnic as those of you who''ve had that experience will agree. After DS''s birth I demanded BCP which were prescribed with a great deal of hesitation. In those days (1964) "the pill" was the new kid on the block and there were many studies published about the dangers of its use. I DIDN''T CARE!!! It was either the pill or a mental institution. My mom, the ever-sensitive soul that she was, said, "Just quit doing IT" and my university friends said, "Are you trying to populate the world?" when I told them.

The BCP removed any desire for intimacy...but there was no other choice back then except the diaphragm or the "rhythm method" which didn''t work for me either. When DH was 49, he had the snip, snip procedure and it worked! No more babies!

I don''t think I''ve had any medical issues that could be traced to using the BCP for 20+ years, but I''m glad there are so many other options for women these days.
36.gif

Oh, and btw, menopause for me was at 56
20.gif

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
I just don''t get it. It said non-pill users had no preference of same-MHC odors versus non-similar MHC odors. So roughly 50% of women STILL choose partners that are "wrong" for them. It doesn''t say what percentage of pill users chose the similar MHC odors. It only says that they were more likely, which means it could be... 55%, 60%, 70%, 100%. It doesn''t say. I''d love to read the actual numbers in the study. I think this is a stretch.

krispi

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think I''ve chosen better guys since I''ve been ON the pill! The ones back then cheated on me a lot more too.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
They should just re title the article -
From the department of stating the obvious: "Lots of men who are complete losers only get laid because of the pill".

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock

32.gif

3.gif
ditto

aliciagirl

Shiny_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:34:23 PM
Author: tanuki

From the department of stating the obvious: ''Lots of men who are complete losers only get laid because of the pill''.

HAHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!
36.gif
1.gif
1.gif

vita*dolce

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 3:34:23 PM
Author: tanuki
From the department of stating the obvious: ''Lots of men who are complete losers only get laid because of the pill''.

LOL!!! brilliant!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock

32.gif

3.gif

I couldn''t handle BCPs either and ended up with an IUD - it''s the non-hormonal type to boot.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:43:36 PM
Author: aliciagirl
I just don''t get it. It said non-pill users had no preference of same-MHC odors versus non-similar MHC odors. So roughly 50% of women STILL choose partners that are ''wrong'' for them. It doesn''t say what percentage of pill users chose the similar MHC odors. It only says that they were more likely, which means it could be... 55%, 60%, 70%, 100%. It doesn''t say. I''d love to read the actual numbers in the study. I think this is a stretch.
I was thinking the same thing, Alicia. The numbers look like they''ve been stretched in the article in order to make a good headline/mainstream story. To me this smacks of the same pop-science bullsh*t that I read every other day or so that turns out to be not quite what the researchers were going for.

That said, I''d love to get my hands on the actual #s, but I''m too lazy to check my database to see if I can find it.

Birth control did make me a nutter, for sure, but not in ways that would impact my partner-choosing ability.
2.gif

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 1:43:52 PM
Author: phoenixgirl
Good thing I picked DH before being on the pill!
that''s the take-home message, isn''t it!
I think this story is kinda same ol same old that we''ve been getting about the pill since it was invented, really... and it makes sense, doesn''t it. I think being pregnant does make you a bit ''soft'' (for want of a better word)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results