shape
carat
color
clarity

BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th bday.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Re: BGD experience. NOT happy, and no ring for mom's 70th b

Sorry this happened. Hate to see a fellow Virgo miss out on birthday bling! I don't think they should have accepted the job if they couldn't do it in time. (I'll keep my personal experiences out of it :wink2:) Have a great trip!!!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock

Wow... That really sucks. I wasn't too thrilled with their communication either. When I was in the market for a custom ring I got a quote, CAD, and changes from white flash before I even got one response from BGD. I really hope you can find something in time for your mom Tgal.

lulu

Ideal_Rock

I would have cancelled the order as soon as I saw the word "latency".

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hey T,

Sorry about your present situation. (yes, that's a play on words)

How about taking your mom to some shops while you're there, and wait for her to ooh and ahhh over something, then buy it for her? You get her what she likes, she loves what she gets, and it's still a bday present. Voila!?

Just a thought...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Ellen said:
Hey T,

How about taking your mom to some shops while you're there, and wait for her to ooh and ahhh over something, then buy it for her? You get her what she likes, she loves what she gets, and it's still a bday present. Voila!?

Just a thought...

Hey Ellen, always good to see you. Real quick...

That would be a good thought except...my mom doesn't shop and when she does, she will not ooh and ahh over anything. She's too afraid I'll buy it for her. :rodent:

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock

I'm so sorry that happened. Sounds so frustrating!!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

waterlilly said:
I say the entire first part about emailing the wrong address has pretty much nothing to do with any of this. So what she emailed them so late in the game? She clearly explained how quickly the ring was needed, they worked out a plan for having it shipped to Hawaii because they couldn't ship it directly to her by the day needed - and then seemed to have a 'stock' sort of response about it shipping on a completely unacceptable date.

She could have emailed them 5 minutes before it needed to ship - it doesn't matter. The fact is they told her YES, they could do it, and then dropped the ball.

Honestly that's the way I see it too. Didn't think much of mentioning it here (except that I'm trying to be thorough). What I'm guilty of is PROCRASTINATING since I had a big sales meeting the week of the 23rd and didn't do my usual research. :rolleyes: If I wrote here that I procrastinated, then found a ring I liked on BGD and asked if they could do it and they said they could, I think some might see it differently. Still, lesson learned...procrastinating is bad!! :oops:

For those of you mentioning WF...I saw a ring I really liked, but it was $500 more. Should have gone with it, but I didn't think it was in the budget since I'm talking our family and another family (of 5) out for my mom's birthday brunch. With all the money I'm spending, I should have just spent the extra $500, although there's no guarantee that WF could have delivered either!

I did tell my mom today while she was over that I tried to get her a gift, but was too late and had to cancel. She told me (of course) that she doesn't want a gift and that Hawaii is the best gift to spend time with family. I knew she'd say that. Ah well, as Thing said, I think maybe I'll just make it a birthday month and buy something for her when I come back.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sorry Tgal about your situation, as far as a backup plan... If you can't cancel, this may sound lame, but just an idea, I would just print the picture of the ring that you are having made and put it with a card, and just let her know its being delayed. I'm sure she'll probably tell you to cancel it immediately or so, but just tell her its enroute to her.

Lesley Harris

Rough_Rock
Trade

Hi All,

It's always difficult to read feedback like this and we do truly apologize for this situation. I would like to clarify that we originally told the customer that we needed 12 days from the day we ordered the setting to when we could ship. When she explained her situation, wanting to exceed her expectations, we agreed to put a rush on it and do what whatever it took to get the band out in time. We ordered the setting in from an outside manufacturer and it came a day late. With the Labor Day weekend we were out a day. Despite the setbacks, we would have been able to ship the band this Thursday via FedEx Priority overnight for a Friday delivery in time for the birthday but our customer unfortunately could only pick it up on Thursday from the FedEx Station. We were instructed to cancel the order if we could not ship tomorrow for a Thursday delivery and being that there was no way of having the band ready, we went ahead and canceled. We have the setting ready and if our customer decides she does want to have us complete the band after all and ship it after the birthday we would do so willingly. This really was a situation that was completely out of our control and we feel bad about not being able to deliver on our promise.

That being said, for those of you who have had less than perfect communication from us, we really strive to uphold our hard earned reputation of timely responses and personalized service. It's good that there are other companies that have the manpower/time to accommodate your particular requests and we hope that you have been happy with the results. When we do not answer it could be for a number of reasons including not receiving your e-mails, sending out e-mails that never get to you or are spammed (happens quite often), asking for several quotes over several months and not being ready yet, having an unusually heavy volume of e-mails or custom orders etc. For those customers who are considering working with us or who are waiting on a response that has taken longer than expected, please call in - that's all it will take.

Respectfully,

Lesley

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal said:
Ellen said:
Hey T,

Just a thought...

Hey Ellen, always good to see you. Real quick...

That would be a good thought except...my mom doesn't shop and when she does, she will not ooh and ahh over anything. She's too afraid I'll buy it for her. :rodent:

Rats.

Well, have a wonderful time anyway. And then get her something later, she'll be all the more surprised anywho.

And thanks T, good to "see" you too. :wavey:

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

They screwed up. They may still be talented jewelers and nice people ... but they screwed up, and in a public fashion, thanks (or not) to the existence of PS.

I still admire much of their stuff, and would probably buy from them ... so long as it wasn't intended for a deadline. Of any sort, really: for me, for somebody else, whatever. Nobody likes disappointment, and if you, in your professional capacity, say you can do something, bend over backwards and damn well do it (or, alternately, apologize profusely, explain it's the fault of your supplier/setter/shoe-making elf and offer free shipping, or something). My dad worked in the industry before he retired, and he had a saying: first you make your reputation, then your reputation makes you. From the sound of this thread, it sounds like people are avoiding talking because BGD consists of talented artisans and good folk, but nevertheless, guys, if you're reading this and can squeeze out the budget for another contact, perhaps it might be worth it?

P.S. - TG, I think making it a b-day month and getting your mom something maybe a little late will be worth it. If she enjoys the vacation, perhaps something with traditional Hawaiian plumeria? You might even be able to scope it out before you go, and "surprise" her with it during the trip. For me, that generally dodges the whole "mom who refuses to shop and be treated" issue ....

ETA - Looks like I cross-posted with Lesley. Redundancy! Though I do still sort of feel like the explanation ought to have gone to T-Gal directly ....

ilovethiswebsite

Brilliant_Rock

booo that sucks!

I also had a not so great experience with BGD, Jamie in particular. She was very rude to me so I decided to go with another vendor.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

I also had poor communication with BGD recently and went with ID Jewelry for a pair of diamond earrings.

It just made the decision that much easier for me. It wasn't a "sentimental" piece for me, so I wasn't really upset. I'm sorry to hear about your experience T-gal! They definitely should have been upfront about a feasible timeline for you.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lesley Harris said:
Hi All,

It's always difficult to read feedback like this and we do truly apologize for this situation. I would like to clarify that we originally told the customer that we needed 12 days from the day we ordered the setting to when we could ship. When she explained her situation, wanting to exceed her expectations, we agreed to put a rush on it and do what whatever it took to get the band out in time. We ordered the setting in from an outside manufacturer and it came a day late. With the Labor Day weekend we were out a day. Despite the setbacks, we would have been able to ship the band this Thursday via FedEx Priority overnight for a Friday delivery in time for the birthday but our customer unfortunately could only pick it up on Thursday from the FedEx Station. We were instructed to cancel the order if we could not ship tomorrow for a Thursday delivery and being that there was no way of having the band ready, we went ahead and canceled. We have the setting ready and if our customer decides she does want to have us complete the band after all and ship it after the birthday we would do so willingly. This really was a situation that was completely out of our control and we feel bad about not being able to deliver on our promise.

That being said, for those of you who have had less than perfect communication from us, we really strive to uphold our hard earned reputation of timely responses and personalized service. It's good that there are other companies that have the manpower/time to accommodate your particular requests and we hope that you have been happy with the results. When we do not answer it could be for a number of reasons including not receiving your e-mails, sending out e-mails that never get to you or are spammed (happens quite often), asking for several quotes over several months and not being ready yet, having an unusually heavy volume of e-mails or custom orders etc. For those customers who are considering working with us or who are waiting on a response that has taken longer than expected, please call in - that's all it will take.
Respectfully,

Lesley

Lesley, I did mention that in my initial post that Jamie said it would take 12 days. After my initial email stating when I would need it by to place the order, she said it could be done. I told her over phone and via email that I needed it by Thursday delivery if it were to be shipped to Hawaii, otherwise Wed might work better since she said it would be delivered by 10 am on the morning we left for Hawaii (and I could make it to the fed ex stations before hitting the airport). Lihue is an hour away from where we are staying and we had to be there Thursday for something else so it worked out. If it were shipped for Friday delivery, I could not spend 2 hours on my mother's birthday traveling to get the gift, nor honestly did I want to. I want to spend that day with her. I do think the miscommunication is that, in all fairness, if I could make the 2 hour drive RT drive to get it, I'd indeed have it for my mother's birthday.

It was the nonchalance of her email that had me floored. By nonchalance, I don't mean she was trying to pass it off or anything, but it seemed SO unaware of everything we had discussed. She had many emails from me that my mother's birthday was September 10. She had an email from me stating that I needed it by Thursday as that was the day I could pick up from the holding station in Hawaii. But to simply just say "we can ship it by Thursday for Friday" with no mention of what we had been emailing back and forth, it simply made me think everything we had agreed on before wasn't even part of the picture.

But sh*t happens. I do believe you and your company wanted to exceed my expectations. I believe intentions were good. It's just that IMHO, communication was poorly executed.

Although Lesley, I can't say I'm impressed with your reasons why customers may not get communications back from BGD. Many of those you mention are certainly valid and justifiable (which includes the always heavily debated reason of the "cry wolf" customer who asks too many questions and too many quotes and doesn't buy squat). You forgot a reason that I'm sure happens to the best of us: sometimes the vendor simply drops the ball.

Edited because I need to bloody well learn how to spell Lesley's name!! :rolleyes:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Circe said:
ETA - Looks like I cross-posted with Lesley. Redundancy! Though I do still sort of feel like the explanation ought to have gone to T-Gal directly ....

I have no problem with her posting here (although as I last checked, she didn't address me directly via e-mail - I guess BGD's reputation on PS might be of more importance, but she certainly doesn't owe me squat directly). If I post a "review", then said vendor is certainly welcome to comment and clarify events on my thread!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It sounds the the problem is the false promise of technology.
We believe in it, but are repeatedly disappointed by it.

There are many reasons email in either direction does not get through.
When you hit that send button you cannot be sure.
But when you talk to a person on the phone you CAN be sure.

Perhaps vendors (and customers) should adopt a PHONE-ONLY policy, especially for the initial order so all expectations are exchanged and agreed upon.
I certainly do when I order.

e-communication is not reliable enough.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

kenny said:
It sounds the the problem is vendors have websites where you can "order" without a phone call.

Perhaps vendors (and customers) should adopt a PHONE-ONLY policy.

Kenny, that probably wouldn't be a bad policy, but I know vendors like to have email back up, because let's face it...Pricescopers are crazy. :cheeky:

In this case, all emails seemed to have gone through (except my stupid email to Leslie...whoever she is! :rodent: ) Jamie DID call me initially when the labor day issue came up. I told her I'd find the address of where we were staying and it was back on the email trail from there.

Which begs kind of an interesting question...I wonder what vendors DO prefer? E-mails? Calls? Combo of both? If I was ordering anything complicated, I would have called for sure to have a discussion first (in fact, folks like Leon make you call him!) My mistake in thinking ordering a stock piece might be simple. And again, in all fairness, it would have been if I had gotten off my ass and not procrastinated. That was definitely, definitely my fault. Gah.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal said:
kenny said:
It sounds the the problem is vendors have websites where you can "order" without a phone call.

Perhaps vendors (and customers) should adopt a PHONE-ONLY policy.

Kenny, that probably wouldn't be a bad policy, but I know vendors like to have email back up, because let's face it...Pricescopers are crazy. :cheeky:

In this case, all emails seemed to have gone through (except my stupid email to Leslie...whoever she is! :rodent: ) Jamie DID call me initially when the labor day issue came up. I told her I'd find the address of where we were staying and it was back on the email trail from there.

Which begs kind of an interesting question...I wonder what vendors DO prefer? E-mails? Calls? Combo of both? If I was ordering anything complicated, I would have called for sure to have a discussion first (in fact, folks like Leon make you call him!) My mistake in thinking ordering a stock piece might be simple. And again, in all fairness, it would have been if I had gotten off my a$$ and not procrastinated. That was definitely, definitely my fault. Gah.

I am not going to say I told you so.. That would be awful of me.. And I heart you!!!! ::)

Here's the thing for all reading..

Lesson learned, if you have a time sensitive project, don't get a response to your initial email..
Pick up the phone... It's toll free, well most are...
That way you know for sure..
I never place an order via email.. I am too much of a control freak..
It may work for some, and that's great.
But in this case had it been done by phone initially.. and not emailing the wrong address we wouldn't be having this discussion.

A lot of time was lost, in emails that never got to them..

And now a deadline has past that could have been met had the above been followed.

Don't shoot me, just saying it like it is..

TGal, wishing your Mom a very happy 70th birthday and a wonderful trip. I think you are such a great daughter!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

E-mail is much better than a phone call though, because like TGal said, there is a paper trail and everything is in writing so there should be no confusion. Moreover, not everyone likes talking on the phone (or they sometimes can't during working hours!), so e-mail should be a valid and reliable option. I basically planned my whole wedding via e-mails to vendors because I worked full time, and it worked out great!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

I think in this case the phone call was necessary. Then email is fine after the agreed upon time sensitive work to be done...

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh said:
I think in this case the phone call was necessary. Then email is fine after the agreed upon time sensitive work to be done...

I actually don't agree that an phone call was necessary. What was necessary was me just using the regular email/contact info on the site. At the time (on the 16th) I wasn't sure that the BGD ring was the one I wanted, so I put an inquiry out on what the ring might look like without a glamour shot. I figured I'd give it a few days and go from there. What I didn't realize is that my yearly sales meeting would be so full on, I never had time to call home and talk to Amelia (barely eeking out calls to my husband). I just didn't get to put in an order during that week. But still, it's worth an "I told you so." :tongue:

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:

I actually don't agree that an phone call was necessary. What was necessary was me just using the regular email/contact info on the site. At the time (on the 16th) I wasn't sure that the BGD ring was the one I wanted, so I put an inquiry out on what the ring might look like without a glamour shot. I figured I'd give it a few days and go from there. What I didn't realize is that my yearly sales meeting would be so full on, I never had time to call home and talk to Amelia (barely eeking out calls to my husband). I just didn't get to put in an order during that week. But still, it's worth an "I told you so." :tongue:

Ok, Ok, now you got the Mom in me crying... You bring up Amelia, and I melt.. xxooo :wavey:

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock

Lesley Harris said:
When we do not answer it could be for a number of reasons including not receiving your e-mails, sending out e-mails that never get to you or are spammed (happens quite often), asking for several quotes over several months and not being ready yet, having an unusually heavy volume of e-mails or custom orders etc. For those customers who are considering working with us or who are waiting on a response that has taken longer than expected, please call in - that's all it will take.
All it will take? Really? At what point should they expect to be told that "Patience is a virtue" ... as if customers were seeking behavioral advice instead of, um, A FREAKIN' (OVERDUE) UPDATE. Of course maybe that "special" treatment was just for me.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock

Heck, T-Gal, if you like the ring, I suggest you go ahead and order the ring. Your mom sounds a lot like mine, in that she never expects much. Giving it to her later won't matter to her at all, and she will be thrilled.

I think a lot of jewelers would have problems with such a rush job. I know my projects always seem to take longer than I'd like. :twirl:

Try to have a great time in Hawaii with your mom. Sounds like a wonderful trip. :wavey:

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh said:
TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:

Ok, Ok, now you got the Mom in me crying... You bring up Amelia, and I melt.. xxooo :wavey:

Well hey, the daughter in me cries when I think of moms. My mom is turning 70! I guess this is why this is so frustrating (on many levels, including my own blame in all this)...I shoulda done better to commemorate the event. You just don't know how long you get to be together, yanno? I mean, hell, I just got into my 2nd car accident in two months!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Deco...Doh! :wink2:

Flygirl, there are other rings I could like better, or more importantly, I think she could like better. It was between this and Beverly K (because the WF ring was out of my budget). I thought since I had never worked with BGD, I'd give it a shot. Now, just not for me. I will get her something, but it will be with more research, and uh...more time on my end. :bigsmile:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TGal, have Amelia make an "I love Grandma" card or painting or craft. I'm sure she will be more than thrilled. :) You could buy your mom a pretty pearl necklace or something similar from a local department store now that you have limited time.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock

TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:
TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:

Well hey, the daughter in me cries when I think of moms. My mom is turning 70! I guess this is why this is so frustrating (on many levels, including my own blame in all this)...I shoulda done better to commemorate the event. You just don't know how long you get to be together, yanno? I mean, hell, I just got into my 2nd car accident in two months!

I apologize. I was one of the first to respond after your 2nd accident, and care about you.. I am sorry if I came across as being hard in this thread. Not my intent at all...

Leaving now, but please know I adore you... ::)

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock

Kaleigh said:
TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:
TravelingGal said:
Kaleigh said:

I apologize. I was one of the first to respond after your 2nd accident, and care about you.. I am sorry if I came across as being hard in this thread. Not my intent at all...

Leaving now, but please know I adore you... ::)

Heh? Not at all! Hard? Ha, that's funny woman!

edit: blah

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results