shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Purchase of 2014

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our allergist vet was a clinical trial vet for Apoquel and Finn, our male Westie who is insanely itchy, he was a trial dog for this drug. He got the injection form and the itch vanished for a good 8 weeks. When Apoquel came out, it is in pill form which did nothing for Finn's itch. So both dogs continue on Zyrtec, which was specifically formulated to address allergic itch.

OMG. The paw cysts. I can't tell you how much money and tears have been expended on the paw cysts for Maggie, our female with the replaced hips. We can't let her get an infection or let one rage, because it would go right to the prostheses and then we'd have to euthanize her. So we get paw cysts with her starting in spring and going through fall. Years and years of this, $$$$$, heartache.

Recurrent paw cysts: I so feel ya here. Antibiotics. Douxo pads. Douxo spray. Aggressive trimming of hair in the paws. Douxo pad followed by Virbac ResiKetoChlor (this did some good, you might try this combo hit to the paws).

Here's what the allergist vet has us do for recurrent the paw cysts:

Bleach bath.
You stand the dog in the sink or bathing tub in a water/bleach solution.

You have to keep the dog from licking the water of course. They should stand in it for anywhere from 5-10 minutes optimally.

Lemme look up the ratio the allergist vet gave us. Will get back to you.

For the nonpaw skin, Jake's Remedy did a good job for us---its available online from Frogworks. I also had some good luck with it on the paws.

Also, the cysts. We found that Maggie has an unusual anatomy to her paws in that she has some cave-like or occult pouches in there that harbor bacteria because its hidden away. Check your dog's paws realkly really carefully for these. Once we started going after those pouch-like areas, we had good success with the topicals. Both vets, the internist and allergist, said that the prevailing wisdom used to be that topicals were only to make owners feel like they were doing something but time and clinical trials are showing that topicals are actually the best therapy of all.

This November, I finally got really mad about these recurrent cysts and I INSISTED the vet give me mupirocin ointment for the paws.

Its the first treatment that completely resolved the cysts. Haven't had any since. If you get to the end of your rope or the dog does, insist on this. Some vets are resistant to prescribing it because they view it as the last veterinary antibiotic that has not had resistance shown.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1421346728|3816908 said:
Our allergist vet was a clinical trial vet for Apoquel and Finn, our male Westie who is insanely itchy, he was a trial dog for this drug. He got the injection form and the itch vanished for a good 8 weeks. When Apoquel came out, it is in pill form which did nothing for Finn's itch. So both dogs continue on Zyrtec, which was specifically formulated to address allergic itch.

OMG. The paw cysts. I can't tell you how much money and tears have been expended on the paw cysts for Maggie, our female with the replaced hips. We can't let her get an infection or let one rage, because it would go right to the prostheses and then we'd have to euthanize her. So we get paw cysts with her starting in spring and going through fall. Years and years of this, $$$$$, heartache.

Recurrent paw cysts: I so feel ya here. Antibiotics. Douxo pads. Douxo spray. Aggressive trimming of hair in the paws. Douxo pad followed by Virbac ResiKetoChlor (this did some good, you might try this combo hit to the paws).

Here's what the allergist vet has us do for recurrent the paw cysts:

Bleach bath.
You stand the dog in the sink or bathing tub in a water/bleach solution.

You have to keep the dog from licking the water of course. They should stand in it for anywhere from 5-10 minutes optimally.

Lemme look up the ratio the allergist vet gave us. Will get back to you.

For the nonpaw skin, Jake's Remedy did a good job for us---its available online from Frogworks. I also had some good luck with it on the paws.

Also, the cysts. We found that Maggie has an unusual anatomy to her paws in that she has some cave-like or occult pouches in there that harbor bacteria because its hidden away. Check your dog's paws realkly really carefully for these. Once we started going after those pouch-like areas, we had good success with the topicals. Both vets, the internist and allergist, said that the prevailing wisdom used to be that topicals were only to make owners feel like they were doing something but time and clinical trials are showing that topicals are actually the best therapy of all.

This November, I finally got really mad about these recurrent cysts and I INSISTED the vet give me mupirocin ointment for the paws.

Its the first treatment that completely resolved the cysts. Haven't had any since. If you get to the end of your rope or the dog does, insist on this. Some vets are resistant to prescribing it because they view it as the last veterinary antibiotic that has not had resistance shown.

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.
I had mupirocin but i thought it was for his facial folds? oh man, he's been on so many meds. I just can't remember anymore.
I know I didn't use it on his paws though. Will get another script from my vet and try it.

I'll check his paws for pouches but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have any. I've wiped those things so often over the last two years, I think I would have noticed. But will check again. He does have tail pocket.. it's a huge indent behind his stub of a tail. Just like a deep pocket that I need to clean with douxo twice a week or he gets yeasty.

Right now he's on prednisone because he had a terrible flare-up a few weeks ago. He finally got some relief but it feels like he's on steroids every 4 months or so. I hate doing it too because I was told I shouldn't be suppressing his immune system while he's on allergy therapy but we have no choice.

Regarding the Zyrtec, it didn't work for him. Neither did benadryl. What does work, but only when he gets hives is Claritin.

Can you start a thread? (i hate starting threads..lol) maybe those of us that have pets with allergies can all share tips and info. that would be wonderful.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
Best purchase of 2014 was actually a birthday gift purchased by my hubby - an iPad mini. He calls it my 'jewel box'. That's because the iPad makes it so convenient for me to lurk or log on to Pricescope! Much better than sitting in front of a computer.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnetgirl|1421720741|3819140 said:
Best purchase of 2014 was actually a birthday gift purchased by my hubby - an iPad mini. He calls it my 'jewel box'. That's because the iPad makes it so convenient for me to lurk or log on to Pricescope! Much better than sitting in front of a computer.

Excellent--win win!!

cheers--Sharon

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results