shape
carat
color
clarity

Best Mascara???

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
So I have long full elephant eye lashes and haven't been able to find a mascara that curls or defines. I recently got an eye lash curler, but it doesn't do much. Over the last year I have bought about 10 different mascars: IT cosmetics (the primer and the one with the ball), Bareminerals, Peter Roth, Trish McEvoy, Maybeline (just to compare if buying a cheaper one makes a difference or not) and ...

I've found that the tubular Trish one clumps like crazy! The peter roth one also clumps but I love the brush because it's good at separating. The others just coat my lashes but keep the straight. I'm pretty frustrated. Any recommendations would be awesome!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have never liked any of those "curling" formulas. They just don't work and don't curl in a natural or in any way attractive manner. I use a real curler for that, right now my favorite is a Tweezerman. And it's really mostly in the curler, a good curler does the work for you, so maybe your curler is not so good.

Part of the problem with the loss of curl is going to be because you're likely not using waterproof formulas. Non-waterproof formulas are too wet, and contain too much water. That kills curl. Waterproof formulas are not as wet and don't usually contain water so they're less likely to kill a curl.

My favorite mascaras are Maybelline Lash Discovery Waterproof (waterproof is VERY important for definition, longevity of curl and lack of clumping), which I use as a primer, and Maybelline Full n Soft Waterproof is what I pile on top for even more definition and fullness. When I want to slut it up more, I add a layer on top of those of Loreal Voluminous Waterproof. I do not wear non-waterproof mascara, ever. Period. No tubing, no non waterproof. I use real deal waterproof and I don't think I've ever found any high end mascara I like enough to repurchase, those three above are the holy grail for me. I occasionally use a Tweezerman lash comb if I get any overkill and need to separate more.

I'd kill for naturally fuller, Latisse didn't give me anything fuller, just longer.

Here's a pic of my eyes loaded with mascara.

aftercloseup.jpg

04diamond<3

Ideal_Rock
Huh, I never thought about that. No, I haven't been using waterproof mascara. I'll have to try it. I just picked up a revlon eye lash curler, but it's not doing much. I did some research and found this one (I almost bought it but of course it's now sold out):

http://www.shuuemura-usa.com/product/EYELASH-CURLER,default,pd.html

Does anyone else have this? Does it work?

And thanks Ame :wavey:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was just reading to use your blow dryer to heat up your eyelash curler
before using it...haven't tried it yet. Be careful if you decide to give it a try.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Great Lash Waterproof (2 coats), then I heat my eyelash curler with my blow dryer and curl, then I go over my lashes one more time to separate and set them. It's a great method I've used for years. You just have to be careful not to get the curler get too hot or you'll burn your eye. ;))

Ah! TYTY we posted at the same time.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
I love Covergirl Exact Eyelights Eye Brightening Mascara. Doesn't clump or smear at all and makes my lashes long and full.
Women ask me all the time what mascara I use. Great product. I also use a regular eyelash curler. Revlon I think.

carabella

Shiny_Rock
Lancôme definicils is my all-time favorite. I also love their lash primer, together you can get some good length and volume. I try other brands (both drug and department store) and always end up the happiest with Lancôme.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I have super long, thick eyelashes and I LOVE Clinique High Impact mascara and also Better Than Sex by Too Faced. I used to like Dior but they dry out waaaay too fast. I actually noticed that I have to switch it up with the mascara I use because my eyelashes get too used to one kind and it stop working how it did in the beginning.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have lashes like Ame. They are long, but not full. I use a Revlon lash curler, but the trick is to squeeze once at base of lashes, again towards middle, and again at the ends, basically working the curler up the full length of lashes.....then I use maybelline lash stiletto waterproof mascara. My lashes stay curled and fabulous all day!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love the Buxom line by Bare Minerals. (I did NOT like any of the other Bare Minerals mascaras though...)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Cover Girl Lash Exact, purple tube. Mascaras can only either hold the curl that already exists, or it can deflate the curl. Lash Exact holds a curl very well, and is not clumpy, however it is not a volumizing mascara. I have long lashes, but they are not thick, I have tried others but keep coming back to this one.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like Covergirl's LashBlast line. I used to use Fusion but now I use Clump Crusher. For me neither of these clump or leave me with raccoon eyes, even with eye-rubbing. I use the Tarte eyelash curler. Some people say if your lashes don't hold a curl, heat it up by sticking it in your bra while you're getting your makeup ready or blow your hairdryer on it a bit and that'll help.

The other mascaras I like are Clinique's High Impact and Benefit BadGal. For me the Lancomes are all clumpy and the Diorshows leave me with horrible raccoon eyes after only two hours of wear.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I love Benefit's Bad Gal for everyday. Benefit's "They're real" mascara is also good for really defined, thick glamorous look, and gives me the look of fake lashes in about two coats. I usually just do one coat though, even if I'm going somewhere special.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
I am interested in learning how to use a curler, but I have an aversion.
I am terrified of being bumped, and ripping my eyelashes out!
Or... curling them hard I break them off...??? ;(

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1388459008|3583518 said:
before using it...haven't tried it yet. Be careful if you decide to give it a try.

I don't do this because it breaks your curler pad down faster and you can get burned and break your lashes off. Mine stay curled fine using my curler unheated and with waterproof mascara.

LaraOnline|1388486388|3583666 said:
Practicing is the big trick, and don't do it where you can be bumped! Also don't crimp hard, or on lashes with mascara on them already.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like Maybelline Full 'N Soft. I think I have average lashes and these define, lengthen and thicken them. I don't use an eyelash curler mainly because it's too much trouble and also because I don't want to cause any damage. I also prefer non-waterproof because it's much easier to remove without damaging my lashes though if it is raining I use the waterproof version. It's inexpensive and I like what it does for my lashes.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two that I like. The test for me is two-fold. It has to stay on all day and not flake all over my face, and not clump. Easy to take off is a plus too.

I like L'Oreal Double Extend mascara. This one is a 'tube' mascara and takes some practice learning to apply. It has a conditioner side that goes on first. You can't let it completely dry before you do the black coat. You apply the black coat until you get it to your liking then stop. It also needs to be a little damp. Because it is tubular, once it is dry you will mess it up if you try to add more. My DD doesnt like it because she like to curl her lashes after mascara as well. I can't convince her that is not good for them. Oh well. This mascara comes off easily and in tubes so it looks kinda weird but I love it. It's about 10 bucks a tube.

I recently tried Benefits "They're Real mascara when it was a Sephora Birthday give away and I really like it. It separates so well. Just don't get to close to your eye and poke it with the brush. It's a bit sharp. Don't ask how I know that. It does a good job and I went back and bought a tube -$23. This one is a little harder to remove but comes off with soap and water. I just usually have to wash it twice to not have black smudges under my eyes.

I have just ordinary lashes. Not long, not really thick. Sometimes I curl them, sometimes not. Both of these mascara's give me pretty thick and long enough lashes.

Ame, can I just say, girl, you are beautiful!

Oh, I have the Shu eyelash curler and I didn't find anything all that special about it. Pretty much the same as the 10 dollar kind for me.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also use Lancôme definicils but I'm not a crazy mascara person and I never curl them.. terrified of that thing.

ame.. your eyes are stunning... forget the lashes! They are a beautiful shade of green and with your red hair.. stunning!!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
luv2sparkle|1388506599|3583793 said:
I recently tried Benefits "They're Real mascara when it was a Sephora Birthday give away and I really like it. It separates so well. Just don't get to close to your eye and poke it with the brush. It's a bit sharp. Don't ask how I know that. It does a good job and I went back and bought a tube -$23. This one is a little harder to remove but comes off with soap and water. I just usually have to wash it twice to not have black smudges under my eyes.

I have just ordinary lashes. Not long, not really thick. Sometimes I curl them, sometimes not. Both of these mascara's give me pretty thick and long enough lashes.

Ame, can I just say, girl, you are beautiful!

Oh, I have the Shu eyelash curler and I didn't find anything all that special about it. Pretty much the same as the 10 dollar kind for me.
Aww thanks! :oops:

Mayk|1388508061|3583810 said:
I also use Lancôme definicils but I'm not a crazy mascara person and I never curl them.. terrified of that thing.

ame.. your eyes are stunning... forget the lashes! They are a beautiful shade of green and with your red hair.. stunning!!!!
Thanks ladies! I play up the eyes, brows and the hair. I would generally say I pile it on the eyes lol!

I switched from a Shu to a Shiseido, which they unfortunately changed a couple years ago, to a Tweezerman and I am pretty happy with the Tweezerman. It's about the same price point but it comes with lots more replacement pads. It curled my lashes better than either of the others. I have a Sonia Kashuk as well, somewhere in there, and apparently also a Revlon as well (did I mention I am a hoarder?) My daily use one though is the Tweezerman. I got mine at Nordstrom maybe two years ago now, and I think Ulta might sell that one too, but Sephora is what I linked to.

My biggest thing with mascaras is not just the formula, it's the brush. Covergirl mostly got rid of their brush brushes, and went to those weird plasticky finger things and I cannot stand them!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1388494853|3583697 said:
tyty333|1388459008|3583518 said:

I don't do this because it breaks your curler pad down faster and you can get burned and break your lashes off. Mine stay curled fine using my curler unheated and with waterproof mascara.

Practicing is the big trick, and don't do it where you can be bumped! Also don't crimp hard, or on lashes with mascara on them already.

Please don't use a hairdryer -- a friend of mine burned the skin around her eye doing that!! :-o I've found that as long as you "knock the cold" off it, it does great. I just put the metal part on the palm of my hand for about 5 seconds and then curl away! :praise:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lancôme--Hypnose Star: love the brush/product.
YSL--colored, non waterproof: love the brush/product
Guerlain--colored, non waterproof: love the brush/product

Shu U eyelash curler: meh

cheers--Sharon

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the hair dryer method is risky! I've done it for so many years that I have it perfected and I always test the curler on my palm first before using it on my eyelashes. It doesn't damage my lashes because I use 2 coats of mascara first and THEN curl. For the record, my lashes are medium length and thick, so no matter what curler I use they don't hold a curl without heat. Please don't use the heat method if you're not really skilled with a curler to begin with! I would hate for anyone to end up with a fried eye!

bebe

Ideal_Rock
"Babydoll" YSL

"Yes, They are real" Benefit

If a mascara flakes all over my face, even if it's new, I pitch it. Hate that. And if I can't get it off without ripping my lashes
out, then I never buy it again.

Been using Maybeline's mascara remover in the blue bottle for decades but looking for something a little more
moisturizing these days!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you only curl BEFORE mascara, you shouldn't break your eyelashes.

And in 13 years of curling my eyelashes, I've only ripped a couple out once. And I'm incredibly clumsy.

lol Ame, the plasticky brushes on CG mascaras are why I like them!

bebe|1388516427|3583915 said:
Been using Maybeline's mascara remover in the blue bottle for decades but looking for something a little more moisturizing these days!

I use pure mineral oil. Since a lot of what they sell in the store is cut with fragrance or vitamin e, I use Snow River Wood Oil. Or else Albolene, which is my go-to cold cream now that the Ponds formula changed and breaks me out.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1388514874|3583885 said:
Yes, the hair dryer method is risky! I've done it for so many years that I have it perfected and I always test the curler on my palm first before using it on my eyelashes. It doesn't damage my lashes because I use 2 coats of mascara first and THEN curl. For the record, my lashes are medium length and thick, so no matter what curler I use they don't hold a curl without heat. Please don't use the heat method if you're not really skilled with a curler to begin with! I would hate for anyone to end up with a fried eye!
Ohhh Girrrrl you should not curl lashes with the mascara on em already!

distracts|1388522007|3583981 said:

If you only curl BEFORE mascara, you shouldn't break your eyelashes.

And in 13 years of curling my eyelashes, I've only ripped a couple out once. And I'm incredibly clumsy.

lol Ame, the plasticky brushes on CG mascaras are why I like them!

bebe|1388516427|3583915 said:
Been using Maybeline's mascara remover in the blue bottle for decades but looking for something a little more moisturizing these days!

I use pure mineral oil. Since a lot of what they sell in the store is cut with fragrance or vitamin e, I use Snow River Wood Oil. Or else Albolene, which is my go-to cold cream now that the Ponds formula changed and breaks me out.
I remove my eyemakeup with DHC Cleansing Oil right as I am getting in the shower, and use my regular foaming cleanser at the end of my shower after I've rinsed the conditioner off and washed my body.

Bleh I hate those plasticy finger brushes! They don't separate well and they leave too much wet product behind!

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've tried just about every mascara I can name, and my all time favorite is still the L'Oreal "Lashout." I don't use waterproof mascara because of how miserable it is to get off. My second favorite is by Rimmel, and I think it's called sexxy curves. It has a funky shaped brush, and really works well. Both are easy to get off, and neither bother my sensitive eyes. I always use a lash curler, and have only ripped lashes out once (Ruby was playing in my room while we were getting ready to leave, and she screamed). That was on the way to her christening, lol.

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have never heard about heating the eyelash curler, but as I mentioned above, trick is to squeeze the curler at little intervals all the way along the length of the lashes, starting at the base. I learned this from a friend who is a professional make-up artist, and mascara should be applied ion 3 coats, with no more than 15 second lapse between each coat. Wait longer and clumping issues occur.....her advice really worked for me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wear the Clinique High Impact as well. It thickens and defines, is budget friendly, doesn't out fast, and doesn't flake.

Also I am allergic to a lot of mascaras and I don't react to it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results