carat
color
clarity

Best at-home hair color kits?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi ladies!
Can you please share which brand(s) of drugstore hair color you have tried, and which ones are the best in your opinion? There are so many different options. I'm thinking of trying Garnier or L'Oreal. But I'm open to any brand. Would like to hear your faves first. Thanks!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Laila, I only color my hair twice a year (I am too lazy to do it more LOL) so I am not an expert. But I do like what I use. Herbatint. It is less harsh than many hair coloring kits and it is super easy to use both which are critical for me. My hair is very fragile so I want to do as little damage to it as possible. As a bonus you can close up what you don't use and save it for another time so it is cost efficient too.

http://www.herbatintusa.com/herbatint.aspx

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer herbal essenses bc it's not permanent and because, after some experimentation, found a color that works well. Half the battle w/boxed dye is knowing which colors work w/skin tone.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For many years I used Preference by L'Oreal (in colors ranging from medium brown to deep brown to black to burgundy), but there came a time it just didn't do a good job covering my whole head anymore (basically, once I had more than 20% gray/white/silver hair coming in)

I switched to ColorSilk by Revlon for the next couple of years - loved the product, loved the pricing - used the light to dark brown colors.

A couple of months ago I bleached my hair and at this point I'm using Garnier Nutrisse 111 (White Chocolate) - very nice product, good consistency, great after-conditioner.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila, I have recently for the first time ever colored my hair myself.

I used Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color in Medium Cool Brown. It's ammonia-free and supposed to last 28 shampoos.

My hair is light/medium brown with SOME grays here and there. I am not completely sure it covered the grays.

But I am really happy with the results.

And I loved the price - I got it for like $4 at CVS because it happened to be on sale and I also got to apply a CVS Extrabucks Coupon. So I didn't care that I used only like 3/4 of the solution and had to throw some out.

ETA: one of the reasons I tried this brand is because it gets fairly consistent medium-high good reviews/stars from people. One of the things that really helped me also is searching YouTube for the exact brand and color - I found videos of people coloring their hair with the exact brand and shade so I got to see what the results and color ended up like. Not as exact as seeing it in person and of course many of these people had different skin tone and hair type than me, but at least gave me an idea of what I could expect.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like L'Oreal Excellence. I've been using it for 10 years or more (color choice has changed over time.)

The formula is thicker, more like a lotion than a liquid. I find it easier to apply without getting it down my face, neck, on my shoulders. The box also has two types of applicators. A single spout, or a multi spout, which looks like a little comb, with four or five teeth. I always use the comb choice, I find I get more even root coverage. With the single tip applicator, I always seemed to have a section of my roots that I missed.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1437808325|3907227 said:

I used Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color in Medium Cool Brown. It's ammonia-free and supposed to last 28 shampoos.

My hair is light/medium brown with SOME grays here and there. I am not completely sure it covered the grays.

And I loved the price - I got it for like $4 at CVS because it happened to be on sale and I also got to apply a CVS Extrabucks Coupon. So I didn't care that I used only like 3/4 of the solution and had to throw some out.

ETA: one of the reasons I tried this brand is because it gets fairly consistent medium-high good reviews/stars from people. One of the things that really helped me also is searching YouTube for the exact brand and color - I found videos of people coloring their hair with the exact brand and shade so I got to see what the results and color ended up like. Not as exact as seeing it in person and of course many of these people had different skin tone and hair type than me, but at least gave me an idea of what I could expect.

Oops, this is what I meant to say I use...natural instincts...got my other response mixed up with the shampoo name!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MC|1437846188|3907352 said:
CJ2008|1437808325|3907227 said:

Oops, this is what I meant to say I use...natural instincts...got my other response mixed up with the shampoo name!

MC your cat's cheeks are so pudgy remind me of my kittie's cheeks! I call her chipmunk often. ::)

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
If you have a Sally Beauty Supply nearby, I recommend checking it out. They carry quite a few brands and lines that are not available in drugstores, and a much larger range of colors. Plus you buy the developer and actual color separately, so you get a little more control over getting exactly what you need. I have used their Ion brand colors, both permanent and demi-permanent, for a couple of years and like them a lot. Depending on what kind of color change you want, you can use a lower level of developer, so there is less damage. They also sell some great post-color conditioning treatments.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I normally have my hairdresser do it (I only use non-permanent to cover gray), but when I need to do it myself, I use Clairol Natural Instincts because it is gentle on the hair. It doesn't last really long, maybe a couple of weeks at the roots, but that is mainly because of my hair growing out, and not that the color itself is gone that fast!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I use pro if I do it myself but if I have to get box in a pinch I get either feria or preference from loreal. I'm red so I need to stick with good Reds.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use Revlon Colorsilk in Light Ash Brown (50). When they say "light" they actually mean medium if you ask me.
It's very inexpensive. I think it's less than $4 a box. I've tried other more expensive colors but just can't fine a color
that suits me like the Revlon so I keep coming back.

I HATE going to the hairdresser and getting it done because I hate sitting around waiting for it to do it's thing. I'd rather
be in the privacy of my own home so I can do other things while its "cooking". Plus, now that I have a lot of gray roots
I need to color about every 4 weeks or so. I couldnt stand to go to the hairdresser that often. I don't consider fun or a luxury
to enjoy.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jazzoboe|1437858375|3907440 said:
If you have a Sally Beauty Supply nearby, I recommend checking it out. They carry quite a few brands and lines that are not available in drugstores, and a much larger range of colors. Plus you buy the developer and actual color separately, so you get a little more control over getting exactly what you need. I have used their Ion brand colors, both permanent and demi-permanent, for a couple of years and like them a lot. Depending on what kind of color change you want, you can use a lower level of developer, so there is less damage. They also sell some great post-color conditioning treatments.

If you tell them what you are currently using will they help you pick out what you need? I really have no way of knowing what to
get on my own.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!! This is what I ended up using, the L'Oreal Excellence. It came out a little darker than it was supposed to be, but hopefully it'll fade some in a few weeks.

KaeKae|1437844649|3907336 said:
I really like L'Oreal Excellence. I've been using it for 10 years or more (color choice has changed over time.)

The formula is thicker, more like a lotion than a liquid. I find it easier to apply without getting it down my face, neck, on my shoulders. The box also has two types of applicators. A single spout, or a multi spout, which looks like a little comb, with four or five teeth. I always use the comb choice, I find I get more even root coverage. With the single tip applicator, I always seemed to have a section of my roots that I missed.

makemepretty

Brilliant_Rock
I touch up my roots once a month and do an all over every couple of months to even it out. My hair grows fast and is down 3/4 of my back. I'm a medium brown hair color but I actually use dark blonde because everything else goes too dark. If I want a light brown color, I use medium blonde on my hair. I buy mine at Sallys...pretty much any brand there does the same thing but I use equal amounts of hair color and 20% sensitive skin developer. Works like a charm and never turns that awful orangey or too dark color like you get with boxed store brands. Easy- peasy!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like L'Oreal. I use a brush to touch up my roots- like they do it at the salon.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I use Garnier Nutrisse, going on 5 years now.

Works well, I also use an argon oil shampoo and conditioner.

The give-away on dyed hair is dried hair. Don't let it dry out!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1438400644|3909651 said:
I use Garnier Nutrisse, going on 5 years now.

Works well, I also use an argon oil shampoo and conditioner.

The give-away on dyed hair is dried hair. Don't let it dry out!

VERY good advice, which is why I do not pull the dye through to my ends every time I color. Repeatedly coloring the hair causes more and more damage, so I only do the roots most times. I pull through to the ends maybe once every 4-5th time I do my color (which is every 3-4 weeks. I'm trying to stretch that out, too.)

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also use L'Oreal Preferences. I use "Medium Brown" which is a dark brown with red undertones. Love it. I have been using this brand for 10 years and have never had any issues. Beware, "Dark Brown" (which I consider my hair color) comes out black.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
I also use Natural Instincts. I have very few gray hairs, so semi-permanent works well for me. At 50+, my own hair color needs a bit of a boost to look its best.

In the summer, my color choice is Light Cool Brown. Winter color is Medium Cool Brown. I have used the warm browns, but I prefer the cool browns with my fair skin and blue eyes.

jazzoboe

Shiny_Rock
I tried esalon once. The color was fine, but the price goes up significantly after your first order, so I didn't think it was worth using again. It might be helpful if you're having a hard time getting the color you want, since it allows an experienced colorist (supposedly) to adjust the dye based on your description of what you want, and you can upload pictures to help them out. It is certainly still cheaper than having your hair colored at a salon.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks jazzoboe. I'll stick with Herbatint. I actually just colored my hair with Herbatint and I really love how shiny and lovely the color is but I know it won't last. There sure is a lot of upkeep when you are a woman. Darn gray and thinning hair. :knockout:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
HollyS|1438630666|3910572 said:
I also use Natural Instincts. I have very few gray hairs, so semi-permanent works well for me. At 50+, my own hair color needs a bit of a boost to look its best.

In the summer, my color choice is Light Cool Brown. Winter color is Medium Cool Brown. I have used the warm browns, but I prefer the cool browns with my fair skin and blue eyes.

How is the Light Cool Brown, HollyS? Does it look like a dark BLONDE or is it truly brown?

I used the Medium Cool Brown for the first time recently and it's dark (but not too dark, I like it) - I am curious about the Light Cool one.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1438799806|3911558 said:
HollyS|1438630666|3910572 said:

How is the Light Cool Brown, HollyS? Does it look like a dark BLONDE or is it truly brown?

I used the Medium Cool Brown for the first time recently and it's dark (but not too dark, I like it) - I am curious about the Light Cool one.

It is a good medium brown color, really. It gives me a bit of a highlighted look because of how I comb it through my hair rather than massaging all over. I use the Medium Cool in the winter when I want to go a bit darker. They both work well with my fair skin and blue eyes. The warm browns are too reddish in certain types of light, so I changed to the cool tones. I'm happy with the results.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results