shape
carat
color
clarity

Besides jewelry what are your other expensive hobbies?

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
madelise|1457839247|4004233 said:
Is eating out considered a hobby?

Nowadays I would say yes, I have mates who spend as much money eating out at restaurants as I do on my hobbies. If not even more than I spend.

They post photos on their social media posing with their food like I post of me posing with my fishing catches :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I asked that earlier. :))

I love fine dining, and would rather go on my own then to let the experience spoilt by incompatible dining companions.

What I had spent on gourmet dining this year so far is sufficient to pay for my RH Amethyst setting. :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1457848505|4004311 said:
We're foodies.

Fortunately we are both good cooks so eating out is something we have REALLY cut back on a lot, which helps. But our grocery bills are higher than average because we buy nice quality stuff.

I believe one of the reasons I am eating out more is because I am cooking less at home.

Where I am working since end of May last year has a decent staff restaurant, and my main meal is lunch and only eat snacks in the evenings. Hence I seldom cook at home nowadays.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if it is a hobby, however, I cannot let go of my car that I bought from new back in 2002.

She is an old girl with high mileage and needs quite a lot of TLC, however, she is very dear to me, being with me for all these years when there were lots of changes in my life.

What I had spent on her so far in the past 6 years I could have bought another brand new one.

When she was off the road pending yet another major repair last year, I had to get a hired car to commute to work which is 134 miles round-trip.

The garage that has been looking after her since 2010 advised against driving that many miles after the repair, and I have continued to have a hired car since.

She is now restricted to weekend run-arounds with or without the dog.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1457818711|4004097 said:
Cozystitches|1457789976|4003867 said:
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg
Why are these older sewing machine so expensive?

The quality of these old machines is amazing! My machine is almost 76 years old (mfg Aug 1940), and I took her out of the box, plugged her in and she stitched beautifully. There's minimal plastic (I think it's called bakelite or barklite) on only a few places the rest is metal. They need oiling and some lube, but otherwise they typically work great (depending on how they were cared for). And expensive is a relative here on PS, my brand new Janome (whom I also love!) was $500, my FW was $300.

The other costs are fabric, so much $$. For a small quilt (like baby size) it can run very easily $100 plus.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1457780577|4003822 said:
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.

Spending thousands on vet bills doesn't shock me.

But a cabin in the mountains! :shock:

That is one lucky pup!

I nominate you for Pet Owner of the Year - wait - Decade! :lol:

:wavey:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches,

I don't sew, but Charlotte is beautiful! :love:

It seems as though many old machines, whether they're sewing machines or something else, were quality machines and built to last.

I'm sure Charlotte will provide you with many years of dependable service and bring much joy!

Congratulations!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier this year, I took up photography as a hobby.

I bought a camera and a telephoto lens, thinking that would be just about all I need. I can hear Kenny, Wink and others laugh as they read that.

But then I bought better winter boots for going out in the woods. I've been looking into winter mitts designed for photographers. I also need to buy snow pants/waterproof pants of some kind, because I'm often kneeling on one knee to take shots.

Within a week or so, I was thinking that my 70-300 mm lens wasn't quite sufficient for capturing wildlife at a distance. I've been looking at 400 mm or better.

I read about star trails - taking long exposure shots of the night sky - and want to try that. So I'll need to get a tripod and trigger release.

I've already taken a lot of photos that I'd like to keep and need some way of managing them; being able to search using keywords, etc. So I should probably purchase Lightroom (software that will provide keyword searching ability). And, although I don't think I want to do much editing, it would be nice to be able to correct distracting things, such as red-eye on a deer photo I just took.

I've driven to some nearby spots for photos, but have learned about a few that would require an overnight stay. And, of course, there are fabulous locations that require travelling further abroad (and I do love flying and travelling).

And then ...

Dancing Fire, you start this thread and
Wink, you respond ...

and know I've learned about Photoshop World (although it would be a long time before I'll be at the stage of even thinking of attending such a Conference; at this point it would all be way above my head!). But I can see myself attending some seminars/courses aimed at wildlife photography (or, maybe later, star trails, etc.).

I've been reading Library books on Photography (and watching lots of videos), but I might want to purchase a few books.

So I have a feeling that photography may become an expensive hobby. :lol:

That's OK, I love it! :appl:

Scandinavian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
december-fire|1457881293|4004451 said:
My dog. She is a bird dog (English setter) so we bought a cabin in the mountains to have a better training terrain with more birds, lol.

That is one lucky pup!

LOL - the rest of us enjoy the cabin also :) She is not very good at driving a car so we always go with her.. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Scandinavian|1457885630|4004483 said:
december-fire|1457881293|4004451 said:

That is one lucky pup!

LOL - the rest of us enjoy the cabin also :) She is not very good at driving a car so we always go with her.. ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

She has a cabin in the mountains AND chauffeurs (plural!)!!! :shock:

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
My daughter's softball career is my husband and my joint hobbie. We are her number one fans and supporters, dh is assistant coach and I'm dugout mom. We bought a $70,000 SUV for tournament road trips and amount of money spent on new bats, bags, wagons, tents, chairs, masks, other miscellaneous gear is ridiculous. She also has a lot of 3-day weekend tournaments where we have to stay in hotels, eat out for every meal.... So thousands are spent on softball every year. I would not trade it for anything! 3 games today:) what would I do without softball?

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
december-fire|1457884344|4004474 said:

I bought a camera and a telephoto lens, thinking that would be just about all I need. I can hear Kenny, Wink and others laugh as they read that.

But then I bought better winter boots for going out in the woods. I've been looking into winter mitts designed for photographers. I also need to buy snow pants/waterproof pants of some kind, because I'm often kneeling on one knee to take shots.

Within a week or so, I was thinking that my 70-300 mm lens wasn't quite sufficient for capturing wildlife at a distance. I've been looking at 400 mm or better.

I read about star trails - taking long exposure shots of the night sky - and want to try that. So I'll need to get a tripod and trigger release.

I've already taken a lot of photos that I'd like to keep and need some way of managing them; being able to search using keywords, etc. So I should probably purchase Lightroom (software that will provide keyword searching ability). And, although I don't think I want to do much editing, it would be nice to be able to correct distracting things, such as red-eye on a deer photo I just took.

I've driven to some nearby spots for photos, but have learned about a few that would require an overnight stay. And, of course, there are fabulous locations that require travelling further abroad (and I do love flying and travelling).

And then ...

Wink, you respond ...

and know I've learned about Photoshop World (although it would be a long time before I'll be at the stage of even thinking of attending such a Conference; at this point it would all be way above my head!). But I can see myself attending some seminars/courses aimed at wildlife photography (or, maybe later, star trails, etc.).

I've been reading Library books on Photography (and watching lots of videos), but I might want to purchase a few books.

I have been admiring your photos, you do much better than I do with the bird photos. You can subscribe to the creative cloud version of Photoshop for about ten bucks a month. I decided to do so as it usable anywhere from any computer and they even have a phone app, but I am not yet comfortable cropping and editing photos from my phone. In going through my books yesterday I was looking at my depreciation schedule and next year I will have completely depreciated more than 10 k worth of camera's lenses and light boxes. I probably spent close to another 2k on Photoshop starting at version 4 or 5 and buying the upgrades every year and a half or so.

There will not be any more upgrades for the purchased version, although there are constant improvements to the creative cloud version. I went to two different Photoshop Worlds although the last one I attended would be probably ten or more years ago. I have wanted to go again ever since and finally just bit the bullet and got my tickets via the early bird purchase. I never regretted a dime of the cost of those conferences and always learned something that I was able to use in my business at each conference.

I wrote a letter to the editor after my second one and sent an example of "the one thing that alone paid for the trip" to him. I got a phone call asking me to let them use it as an article and offering to pay me $100 if I did. I laughed all the way home and told my wife about it and we spent it all at one of the more expensive restaurants in town. (That was an exorbitant dinner in Boise back then.)

Though I am far from a professional photographer I make a good living that is enhanced by the photos that I take, such as the one in this week's Jewel of the Month that is next to this thread as I am typing. Still, that would not be a good enough reason to spend the money if I did not enjoy doing it so much. I really treasure the response from clients who get the pictures when their jewelry is finished so that they have something to enjoy while their jewelry is in transit..

I strongly recommend that you look at KelbyOne.com. Scott Kelby merged it with Photoshop User Magazine and offers tremendous educational courses and videos all for about $200 per year if I am remembering correctly. It is Scott Kelby who organized the Photoshop World program, I think this one will be the 19th or 20th one they have done. He is a very good teacher and the crew he has put together are some of the best instructors in the photography world.

Wink

P.S. Kenny is the MAN on incredible and diverse photography. I would love to visit with him someday and spend a couple of days sitting at his feet and learning about how he does things.

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Awww Cozystiches,

I also have an old singer featherweight ....what a beautiful machine! I love all the old attachments for these! Love to quilt as well! Enjoy!

Luce

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Waterskiing is also an expensive hobby!

_36670.jpg

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wink|1457886942|4004496 said:
december-fire|1457884344|4004474 said:

And then ...

Wink, you respond ...

I have been admiring your photos, you do much better than I do with the bird photos. You can subscribe to the creative cloud version of Photoshop for about ten bucks a month. I decided to do so as it usable anywhere from any computer and they even have a phone app, but I am not yet comfortable cropping and editing photos from my phone. In going through my books yesterday I was looking at my depreciation schedule and next year I will have completely depreciated more than 10 k worth of camera's lenses and light boxes. I probably spent close to another 2k on Photoshop starting at version 4 or 5 and buying the upgrades every year and a half or so.

There will not be any more upgrades for the purchased version, although there are constant improvements to the creative cloud version. I went to two different Photoshop Worlds although the last one I attended would be probably ten or more years ago. I have wanted to go again ever since and finally just bit the bullet and got my tickets via the early bird purchase. I never regretted a dime of the cost of those conferences and always learned something that I was able to use in my business at each conference.

I wrote a letter to the editor after my second one and sent an example of "the one thing that alone paid for the trip" to him. I got a phone call asking me to let them use it as an article and offering to pay me $100 if I did. I laughed all the way home and told my wife about it and we spent it all at one of the more expensive restaurants in town. (That was an exorbitant dinner in Boise back then.)

Though I am far from a professional photographer I make a good living that is enhanced by the photos that I take, such as the one in this week's Jewel of the Month that is next to this thread as I am typing. Still, that would not be a good enough reason to spend the money if I did not enjoy doing it so much. I really treasure the response from clients who get the pictures when their jewelry is finished so that they have something to enjoy while their jewelry is in transit..

I strongly recommend that you look at KelbyOne.com. Scott Kelby merged it with Photoshop User Magazine and offers tremendous educational courses and videos all for about $200 per year if I am remembering correctly. It is Scott Kelby who organized the Photoshop World program, I think this one will be the 19th or 20th one they have done. He is a very good teacher and the crew he has put together are some of the best instructors in the photography world.

Wink

P.S. Kenny is the MAN on incredible and diverse photography. I would love to visit with him someday and spend a couple of days sitting at his feet and learning about how he does things.

Wink,

I was admiring your incredible photo of that gorgeous pendant yesterday! Both are breathtaking; the photo and the beautiful pendant! :appl:

Thank you for your comment about my bird photos. I'm learning (trying to, anyway) and loving it! The only thing better than enjoying one love, is combining it with another; so loving photography and nature/wildlife is making my new hobby particularly enjoyable. Sometimes, I catch myself staring in amazement at an animal without thinking to hold up my camera to take a photo. My daughter teases me because every time I see a deer, which happens regularly, I act as though I'm seeing one for the first time in my life. If the early evening sunset is causing the deer to glow in a magical light, well, I'm captivated. :))

After reading your response, I looked up KelbyOne and saved it in my 'Favorites - Photography' folder. I'll be checking it out and appreciate you telling me about Scott Kelby! Thank you!

Lenses, etc., can be very costly. But if a person can afford something and it brings them joy, then that's wonderful. I tend to look after things, so I think my camera-related purchases will likely be 'wants' rather than needing to replace equipment that I've abused or lost (Heaven forbid!). Now that my children are grown, I think its time to spoil myself. :angel:

Thank you for taking the time to reply and providing the information. Much appreciated!

Kenny,

I have no doubt that you're a creative and talented photographer!

I'd love it if you'd share your photos - and tips! Pleeese. :bigsmile:

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Luce|1457887910|4004506 said:
Waterskiing is also an expensive hobby!

Wow!!! :appl:

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sewing and quilting. I just got my new sewing machine yesterday. She's a Singer Featherweight 221, made in 1940 :shock: and she works great! I also have another machine I bought in November which wasn't cheap either. I hesitate to think how much I've spent over the years on fabric and notions. I think I'm good with machines now, so other than servicing (cleaning etc) I should be good....maybe.. :Up_to_something: I think they're like jewelry, just "need one more".. :lol: :twirl: Here's the pic of Charlotte... charlotte_2.jpg charlotte.jpg

Oh she's a beauty! I love the gold lettering and designs on the old Singers. Nice name too, that's what I named my first car.

I used to spend a ton on fabric, notions, patterns, magazines...but now I don't have the time to sew. When I was a stay at home mom I had time to sew all my clothes. I got into tailoring even though I had no need for tailored outfits. I still wear blazers that I made 15 years ago!

My other hobby was watercolor painting. I think in this lifetime I will not sew through my fabric stash or use up all my watercolor supplies unless I disconnect the internet and get off this computer.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my other expensive hobbies. Bought this $20 gold piece a few days ago. Notice the 1907 date in roman numeral. IMO, the most beautiful U.S. coin ever minted.

img_11052.jpg

img_11053.jpg

img_11054.jpg

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My flutes (my primary one is 14k rose gold) and sheet music.

Travel, we have been cruising since 2001 in balcony cabins multiple times a year. Ever since my brain surgery last year, decided to start living a little so now we only cruise in full suites with lots of amenities.

Not really a hobby, but like to buy USDA Prime grade steaks as Sir John Pollard can attest to.

Pretty frugal in other ways, don't eat out much and do a lot of food shopping at Costco and Trader Joes.

Not a glamour gal so I save money on female grooming products.

Will buy tee shirts from Costco, but have bought evening gowns at Nordstoms.

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DF, you still collect koi fish?

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1457910094|4004636 said:
My flutes (my primary one is 14k rose gold) and sheet music.

Travel, we have been cruising since 2001 in balcony cabins multiple times a year. Ever since my brain surgery last year, decided to start living a little so now we only cruise in full suites with lots of amenities.

CF, Sorry to jijack, but do you have any experience with River Cruises?? I've started my own thread and would appreciate your input since you have a lot of cruising experience!

cheers--Sharon

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
cflutist|1457910158|4004637 said:
DF, you still collect koi fish?
Yes, last month was my first purchase in 4 yrs, but the fish is still in Japan. It should be here by next month.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Maria D|1457891315|4004527 said:

Oh she's a beauty! I love the gold lettering and designs on the old Singers. Nice name too, that's what I named my first car.

I used to spend a ton on fabric, notions, patterns, magazines...but now I don't have the time to sew. When I was a stay at home mom I had time to sew all my clothes. I got into tailoring even though I had no need for tailored outfits. I still wear blazers that I made 15 years ago!

My other hobby was watercolor painting. I think in this lifetime I will not sew through my fabric stash or use up all my watercolor supplies unless I disconnect the internet and get off this computer.

By all means, I'll use up your stash! :naughty: :lol: I cleaned out my son's closet (aka my "stash room") and found I have quite a bit, but its just soooooo pretty.

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Concert trips and our dogs. :wavey: .

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tattoos.

1724173_10206398900306251_7599352598636175493_0.jpg

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1457849011|4004315 said:

Nowadays I would say yes, I have mates who spend as much money eating out at restaurants as I do on my hobbies. If not even more than I spend.

They post photos on their social media posing with their food like I post of me posing with my fishing catches :lol:

That's totally me, lol. One year, I spent 5 figures on restaurants. My Visa card gives that annual summary thing, and I was shocked. 2015, I spent 6k on eating out. I take pics of my goodies if they're pretty looking. I'm Asian, though... And I realize it's a very 1) Asian "thing" to do, 2) millennial thing to do, and 3) Los Angeleno thing to do. So I hit the trifecta.

My friends and I can meet for brunch, then get dessert at another place, then go to a cafe for drinks afterwards. Conversation carries to all 3 venues. Totally normal for us.

My fiancé isn't Asian, and didn't grow up in the city area I did. I had to "ruin" him by exposing him to good food. He's now as picky as I am. I'm currently on a mission to "ruin" the in-laws. They perceive my 4/10 is 8/10. I can't wait to make them snobs.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dk168|1457849744|4004317 said:

I asked that earlier. :))

I love fine dining, and would rather go on my own then to let the experience spoilt by incompatible dining companions.

What I had spent on gourmet dining this year so far is sufficient to pay for my RH Amethyst setting. :rolleyes: :bigsmile:

You and I would get along very well. Wars were prevented over food, ya know?! ;))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cozystitches|1457879927|4004442 said:
Dancing Fire|1457818711|4004097 said:
Why are these older sewing machine so expensive?

The quality of these old machines is amazing! My machine is almost 76 years old (mfg Aug 1940), and I took her out of the box, plugged her in and she stitched beautifully. There's minimal plastic (I think it's called bakelite or barklite) on only a few places the rest is metal. They need oiling and some lube, but otherwise they typically work great (depending on how they were cared for). And expensive is a relative here on PS, my brand new Janome (whom I also love!) was $500, my FW was $300.

The other costs are fabric, so much $$. For a small quilt (like baby size) it can run very easily $100 plus.
It looks just like the one my mother had (she used to sew our clothing when we were younger). Musical instruments are my other vice and it can get very expensive. :knockout:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't really "collect" anything else. But I do have expensive tastes (at times :shifty: )

and thats not all of them.

I would have said computer stuff but thats what I do for a living...so it kinda doesn't count. :tongue:

p1100116.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too much take out during the week - DH doesn't have the patience for work drama AND restaurant patrons so take out is the compromise, and we usually eat out at least 2x during the weekend.

3 cats = their food and litter adds up fast!

online shopping, particularly for clothing and handbags. I can shop in my closet now :errrr: ! I'm on a ban going forward. I'm reinstating the rule - donate 2 items, replace with ONE!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results