shape
carat
color
clarity

Bent Posts

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I am feeling so stupid right now. I wear my 3ctw diamond studs every day. They're set in 8 prong platinum martini settings. I just had a pendant set and a ring set. I got a new jewelry display box for travel. I placed me earrings through the little holes in the case and I bent both posts rather badly. I was able to straighten them out some. Do you think it's safe to wear my earrings or do I need to take them to a jeweler? I am so mad at myself right now. The posts are screw back. I'd hate for a post to break and to lose a stone. What do you think?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I would take them to a jeweler & ask if they could straighten them out, since they're screw backs. It might be less of an issue with friction (or whatever it's called) posts, but if the posts are very bent or weird, the backs might not screw on right. Sorry you did this! We've all done dumb stuff -- comes with breathing, I guess. ;-)

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
JewelFreak|1423182603|3828048 said:
I would take them to a jeweler & ask if they could straighten them out, since they're screw backs. It might be less of an issue with friction (or whatever it's called) posts, but if the posts are very bent or weird, the backs might not screw on right. Sorry you did this! We've all done dumb stuff -- comes with breathing, I guess. ;-)

I've been able to straighten them enough that I can screw them in, but I'm worried about metal fatigue. I don't want them to break :confused:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd take them to a jeweler just to be safe. I have screwback martini settings and thought I would love them, but on my ears with the regular screwback backs, they drooped. They were a gift and I did not want to make the giver feel bad so I didn't return them. My remedy to the droop situation was to force monster backs (like a regular earring back, only way larger, covers most of the back of my lobe) onto the posts (I KNOW, I KNOW) and that solved the droop issue. However, within a few months of wearing my studs like this several times a week, I noticed that my posts were very slightly bent, like above the threads on the post, almost right where the head meets the post in the smooth part of the post. Now I'm worried, like you are, that the heads might just pop off at some point and I'll have a REAL problem on my hands.

I'm taking mine to a local jeweler to have them reset into regular friction backs I can wear with monster backs (still martini settings). I can't stand wearing them to sleep in, anyway, and the monster backs seem really secure with every other regular stud earring I've ever used them with (pearl studs, love knots, etc.) so I feel pretty confident that this will work for me. I think that if yours are bent at the same point mine are, it really could be a ticking time bomb if the integrity of the metal has been compromised and the head(s) might separate from the posts. That would absolutely suck.

Good luck, let us know how you proceed!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
monarch64|1423284971|3828614 said:
I'd take them to a jeweler just to be safe. I have screwback martini settings and thought I would love them, but on my ears with the regular screwback backs, they drooped. They were a gift and I did not want to make the giver feel bad so I didn't return them. My remedy to the droop situation was to force monster backs (like a regular earring back, only way larger, covers most of the back of my lobe) onto the posts (I KNOW, I KNOW) and that solved the droop issue. However, within a few months of wearing my studs like this several times a week, I noticed that my posts were very slightly bent, like above the threads on the post, almost right where the head meets the post in the smooth part of the post. Now I'm worried, like you are, that the heads might just pop off at some point and I'll have a REAL problem on my hands.

I'm taking mine to a local jeweler to have them reset into regular friction backs I can wear with monster backs (still martini settings). I can't stand wearing them to sleep in, anyway, and the monster backs seem really secure with every other regular stud earring I've ever used them with (pearl studs, love knots, etc.) so I feel pretty confident that this will work for me. I think that if yours are bent at the same point mine are, it really could be a ticking time bomb if the integrity of the metal has been compromised and the head(s) might separate from the posts. That would absolutely suck.

Good luck, let us know how you proceed!

I think you're right. I'll take mine in on Monday to be safe. I've worn my earrings daily for years. I sleep and shower in them. I'm sorry that you haven't found yours comfortable. I hope that the new posts help. I really need to get mine insured. I can't stand the thought of losing one.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The screwbacks themselves are not uncomfortable, but I sleep on my side and they poke me in the head so I can't sleep in them. :lol: I think it's a wise decision to bring yours in; better safe than sorry for sure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results