shape
carat
color
clarity

Belly button bling

vsc

Shiny_Rock
I've been toying with the idea of getting a belly button piercing. Just so, you know, there's another spot to wear nice jewelry!

Do any of you have such a piercing? What is your experience? Does it take a long time to heal (so, how long before I could swap the barbell for something nicer)? What are good places to find real, or nice quality belly button jewelry?
Is the piercing ever annoying or painful?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, how do I say this tactfully.... Maybe I can't, so here goes: When I think of a belly button ring, I think of a teenager or a college student rebelling against their parents. I never had one, but almost everyone had one in college, but nobody kept theirs after graduation. That was 10 years ago. Nowadays they are very passé, at least in my social circle.

Lest you still want one, yes, they can get annoying and painful. Several of my friends' rings got infected, and they often complained of them getting caught.

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
I have one - got it years ago and I still have it. I've had a few other piercings that I've let grow over (nostril and, ahem . . . other ones). The belly button took the longest to heal - I would say leave it in a few months before changing it (and you might want a pro changing it out for you).

All my body piercings used to match and were made by this lady: http://stores.ebay.com/Amazon-Jewelry?_rdc=1
She does beautiful work and can make anything you like - mine were yellow gold with opals. She doesn't have a lot posted right now, but perhaps she could send you some pics.

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Sonnyjane, thanks for your input!
I think we're from the same generation. I wanted one in high school and didn't. Then I got to college and everybody had one! So I didn't get one. It seemed so... common.

Now in my late 20s, I'm kinda regretting not having one... because I think they're cute and also quite private. It would be a safe place for me to get a piercing that is not so obvious to coworkers, etc. (as opposed to a nostril piercing for example).
But before going through with it, I really want to figure out if it is worth it.

LAjennifer, I will definitely check this link out! I've been very curious as to the cute things that are available! Thanks!
eta: I love the dangling barbell with the peridots and topaz!

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
vsc|1325304039|3092037 said:
Sonnyjane, thanks for your input!
I think we're from the same generation. I wanted one in high school and didn't. Then I got to college and everybody had one! So I didn't get one. It seemed so... common.

Now in my late 20s, I'm kinda regretting not having one... because I think they're cute and also quite private. It would be a safe place for me to get a piercing that is not so obvious to coworkers, etc. (as opposed to a nostril piercing for example).
But before going through with it, I really want to figure out if it is worth it.

LAjennifer, I will definitely check this link out! I've been very curious as to the cute things that are available! Thanks1

Yes, I'm also in my late 20's. I mean, I'm not knocking people that have had body piercings. Like you said, in college everyone had one. I actually chose to pierce my tongue (for an ex-boyfriend...ugh...) I had it for two years and then realized "oh wait, I need a real job" so I took it out. I mean, if you get it, you're not bound to it for life or anything. If you're not happy, you can always take it out and they're not resoundingly expensive or anything. In my opinion it's just a trend that has passed its prime...something for younger people. I realized that I misspoke in my first post. Not everyone that I know got rid of theirs right after graduation. I have one friend that kept it until she was 26. Then she got pregnant. She told me she finally realized she was way too old for it when her belly started growing and she had to remove it anyway.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I've had mine for about 12 years now, and am a huge fan. I'm sorry that some see them as passé, but I still love mine, and have no intentions of taking it out (it' actually one of the few piercings I've had that has stood the test of time). You should be able to get it pierced with a really quality piece if you want, I would suggest having a conversation with your local piercer about what type of jewelry you'd like, and go from there. Also, I've admired the same ebay seller for AGES! Never purchased from her though. Other, bigger name brands I would consider are Anatometal and Neometal, have owned a few of these, and they're really great quality.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got mine pierced when I was 19. It took several weeks to heal, and yes, it hurt.

I'm 34 now. It's just been my thing, I've never wanted to remove it because I've always liked the way it looks and I would feel naked without it! I don't like the look of a jewel-less belly button! I'm currently pregnant for the first time and plan to get a pregnancy piercing (yes, they make them) so my piercing doesn't close up. :bigsmile:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
monarch64|1325305019|3092049 said:
I got mine pierced when I was 19. It took several weeks to heal, and yes, it hurt.

I'm 34 now. It's just been my thing, I've never wanted to remove it because I've always liked the way it looks and I would feel naked without it! I don't like the look of a jewel-less belly button! I'm currently pregnant for the first time and plan to get a pregnancy piercing (yes, they make them) so my piercing doesn't close up. :bigsmile:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. It's just a part of me. Mine's actually pierced on the bottom, rather than that top little "lip", but same sentiments.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1325305680|3092057 said:

This is pretty much exactly how I feel. It's just a part of me. Mine's actually pierced on the bottom, rather than that top little "lip", but same sentiments.

Cool! We can be common and passe and dated together!!! :wavey: :bigsmile:

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had mine pierced when I was 17 (my friends all pitched in to pay for my birthday, woop!) and I still like it. To be honest I often forget it's there, but I have no intentions of taking it out. I waited 3 months with the stainless steel ring until it was fully healed to buy the gold barbell I still have. It has a clear CZ set into the top ball and a larger one in the bottom ball. Shiny! :bigsmile:

If I had to take it out due to pregnancy or any other reason I think I'd miss it.

SweetAsscher

Shiny_Rock

I don't remember if any of my piercings hurt, but then again I'm super pain tolerant. Never had anything get infected either.
I've had mine for about 8 years now and through two pregnancies. I definitely recommend the temp preg thing! It's skinny and flexible so your piercing doesn't push out or give you a stretch mark. I love all my piercings and I too would feel naked without them. I do not like how my belly button looks without the jewelry there! I feel like my piercing are part of my personality.
I have a tiny star in my nose that I get many compliments on and a "diamond" stud just under and to the left of my lower lip. I think also my nose piercing makes me look even more Indian (I'm not) even though it's on the wrong side from what I've been told.
My other piercings such as my tongue ring are not visible and I've actually never had an issue with being seen as professional or getting a job.

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I have had pretty much everything pierced that you can have pierced and I will say without question the navel hurt the most, took the longest to heal, and is the only one I regret. I've since removed almost all of them (I did all that well over a decade ago-and a friend was apprenticing in the biz so I was a willing guinea pig) and the navel is the only one that left an unsightly mark. Not to be a downer!

I also have a high tolerance for pain (clearly!), don't get infections etc. My two cents-not that it matters-is that they're a pain and get caught on stuff far too often for my liking.

slg47

Ideal_Rock

Monnie congratulations!!!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I got mine right after I turned 18 and I just turned 29. It hurt like hell but I had no problems with the healing process. And I still have it in now. I'm like monarch and manderz - I think my tummy would feel naked without it.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
manderz|1325305680|3092057 said:

mine is pierced on the bottom as well as i have an "in-betweeny" belly button and they couldnt pierce the top. I have had mine for 10 years now and I have never thought of closing it up, its like my little tattoo- something that is a part of me and I think it would be weird to close it up.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Isn't the whole 'piercing everything but ears' kind of . . . yesterday?

Or have I just reached the age of "Why exactly would you do that?"

It's probably a little bit of both. ;))

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
lol! the only piercing I'm interested in at this point is that which is found in jewelry! I was looking some lovely pierced rings earlier!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've had mine for about 12 years now. Looking for some nice bling for it too

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Okay, that's it.

This thread has inspired me. Once I lose the baby weight? I'm rewarding myself with a belly button piercing.

And one of these: http://venusbymariatash.com/index.php?section=jewelry&category=navel

I've been admiring them for ages, and there's no time like the present, right?

As for the question of trendiness ... I think things like this will phase in and out of public consciousness, and have periods of intense popularity, followed by periods of intense mockery, just like everything else. But I got my lower back tat before that look hit big, or acquired its awful nickname, and lived through its popularity, and am now back to being the exception rather than the rule - and I've loved it the whole time. So why not follow your heart on this? Not like the trend police are going to come to confiscate it ....

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
I got mine when I was 22.

Well, first, make sure you go to a reputable piercing parlor!

And second, even though I did, they did mine crookedly! :( Not too bad, but a bit annoying considering. But in either case, I love my belly button ring and it gives me great incentive to workout and keep my stomach looking good :razz: I also don't wear those dangling butterfly charm, etc. rings though - I just use a simple barbell.

ETA: It didn't hurt that much for me (I think I have a fairly high pain tolerance though). Only time is when I was carrying a laundry basket and it caught on my recent piercing - YOUCH. Just be careful of things like that (bumping into something, etc.). Healed pretty quickly, no infection, no migration of the piercing. Also, I'm in my mid-twenties now but I plan on keeping the ring for a while.

As to piercings, to each their own. I have 6 ear piercings (4 in my right ear, 2 - should have been 3 - in my left) and I'm contemplating getting a tiny nose stud after I get a permanent teaching job :razz: It's just a part of my overall style and look (i.e. an accent to an otherwise very preppy look) and part of who I am at this point, so I plan on keeping my piercings well into my 30s at least. It's funny though - my students think I'm so much cooler because I have my multiple ear piercings, haha.

vsc

Shiny_Rock
Manderz: thanks for the names. I will check them out.
Monarch and sweetasscher: good to know about pregnancy piercings. I didn't know about these, but had been wondering if it was an issue at all.
DandiAndi: I like those barbells with a stone on top and bottom! They're cute as an every day set.

MrsTaylor: thanks for the warning. It does seem that these are difficult to heal.

Stargurl, autumngems and Amys bling: I'm glad you enjoy them! I've really always loved them... they are so feminine...

HollyS: I felt that way for a while. I guess there's some fashion aspect and some part of getting older. I guess I'm reaching a "third life crisis" where I realize I still have a chance to do some of these things and enjoy them :) while I still can.

Circe: :appl: I think it's a great idea! and congrats on the little one, by the way. I love that site that you linked up... I particularly adore the dangly ones. I also second the trend opinion. I think when I was younger I was too focused on what was in trend (because I didn't want to follow it). Now I realize, who cares? I like them. They're cute. Like you said, no one's going to take it away from you!

BEG: I will be looking for someplace reputable, and making sure they aim right! good point. And I agree on the incentive to keep in shape :). I've always liked my stomach/belly button and that's part of why I'd like to decorate them and also part of why I'd be afraid of messing them up... It's cool that your ear piercings break the ice with your students. I feel like in the past 10 years or so, piercings have gotten so much more accepted, I'm almost surprised more teachers don't have multiple ear piercings!

ETA: Those of you with piercings, have you ever lost the barbell/ring? I tend to lose earrings, unless they are studs with a screw back. So I don't really get super expensive earrings unless I know there's no way they'll get off my ear easily. Are the piercings secure?

shihtzulover

Brilliant_Rock
I first had mine pierced when I was 18. For me, I wasn't rebelling against my parents, but instead against being the 'goody two shoes' girl that I generally was by nature.

I really loved it a lot, but it did get irritated a lot and got caught on things. Apparently, you aren't supposed to change the jewelry until it heals completely, with can take anywhere from six months to two years. I didn't realize this, and I really angered it when I tried to change the barbell too soon.

They can also occasionally 'reject', which means that your body pushes it forward like a splinter, until it eventually just falls out with no skin to hold it in (if you don't take it out before this point). You can have it re-pierced after this, and sometimes the scar tissue can cause it to stay in place the second time around.

Mine grew forward slowly, and I thought that it was rejecting, so I took it out and let it heal, and then had it re-pierced. The second one did the same thing, although I let it do its own thing this time, and it eventually seemed to settle in where it seems comfortable.

Honestly, if I could go back, I wouldn't ever get it pierced in the first place - because when I take it out, there's a scar there, and I would rather just not have to deal with that. On the other hand, it's still pretty cute, and I still like it.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
vsc|1325383626|3092631 said:
Manderz: thanks for the names. I will check them out.
No problem!! I'm a fan because they have interchangeable ends, so you don't ever even have to take out the bar, if you don't want to (which is great, since they can be a bit finicky).
vsc|1325383626|3092631 said:
ETA: Those of you with piercings, have you ever lost the barbell/ring? I tend to lose earrings, unless they are studs with a screw back. So I don't really get super expensive earrings unless I know there's no way they'll get off my ear easily. Are the piercings secure?
I think that as long as you check it, you'll be fine. I've never lost a piece of piercing jewelry (other than a tongue barbell, but that's a different story) while it was in, it was always when I was cleaning/changing it. Latex gloves are a great help when changing the threaded balls, and if you change them in the bathroom, toss a washcloth over the sink drain.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results