shape
carat
color
clarity

Beauty Products You Are Loving...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just got my Memebox order, just a ton of sheetmasks and two brow products, the brow things are Pony Effect brow gel in Crimson which is basically like a dark red, almost, and it's a great color for when my brows start going off color. The pencil is also crimson and is a slightly darker auburn, almost a near match, slightly darker than my It Cosmetics Super Skinny Brow Power in Auburn. That was actually a really pleasant surprise. I got the package yesterday after ordering Tuesday, and like a weirdo applied the brow stuff before going to Boxing. Let's just say, they both held up damn well to the amount of sweat that pours off of me. I had swatched both on my hand before putting them on, and it was NOT easy to get it off. My DHC oil cleanser, plus a heavy duty wipe were required. So, I was impressed. I usually use the Glossier Boy Brow in blonde bec they don't have a red one (and the brown is way ashy), and actually like it when my brows are "Fresh" bec it takes them down a bit. The texture is very waxy and I like it (just make it the VERY last thing you put on when doing your makeup, like, literally, trust me), and this pony brow brow gel is more like a normal brow gel.

I read ingredients best I could before ordering any of the sheet masks, bec I cant have lanolin or castor oil. I've never tried any of these. I like the Tony Moly Snail one I have tried before, so I am expecting that these should be even better.

dear lord these are huge, my apologies.

e54c02f61fd0c3cf31fa2de1bbf47541.jpg

09e5d8168809a1989838cfc6beee9e4f.jpg

1d8ebbf8e80dde8f0951e75c6fc0a7ce.jpg

4301c1ce1b6f42a20bbb1788b62ad10b.jpg

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
EvangelineG said:
I have been lurking on this thread for a few weeks now, and it has been so helpful!

A couple of months ago we moved to a much drier climate, and then spring hit (seasonal allergies), and my skin started to get very unhappy very quickly. I started the process of hunting for new products, but my skin was not tolerating anything I tried (stinging, redness, dryness). Two weeks ago I had a full blown allergic reaction, which landed me in the hospital (angioedema, anaphylaxis), and my poor face swelled up and was covered in hives (along with the rest of me!). Apparently I have developed a brand new food allergy (yay). So I am thinking the increasingly sensitized skin was tied in with my immune system going bonkers, and 2 weeks post reaction it is still sensitized- even my glasses sitting on my nose can be painful.

I had switched to a completely "bland" regime several weeks back when nothing was working, borrowing from products the derm has recommended for my son's extremely sensitive, eczema prone skin over the years (Neutrogena extra gentle creamy cleanser, Complex 15, cetaphil cream), and this has helped to heal the raw spots on my cheeks and to calm my skin down a lot. However, none of these products actually do anything to improve overall skin health or appearance- they are just innocuous, moisture band-aids (although I am grateful to have them when my skin was reacting to everything else), and I am looking for better products as I can slowly test things every couple of weeks.

Reading Caroline Hirons blog lead me to Deciem, and I purchased the Copper Amino Isolate Serum 1% from their NIOD line, and the SubQ Anti-Age serum and Sensitivity booster from their Hylamide line. http://deciem.com/ Does anyone have experience with any of these?

It will be a bit before I can test them- I have La Roche Posay Toleraine dermo cleanser lined up next, since I think the one I'm using is still not quite gentle enough. It is so hard to be patient! I want my face better now, and I have a dozen unopened bottles lined up on my dressing table calling my name...but my poor face has been through a lot recently...must go slowly. :shock:
Definitely take it slow. I'm allergic to quite a bit and react quite easily. I have to go back to square one a lot. I have my "core" that I know won't freak my skin out, and then from there add one at a time every 4 weeks or so.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yanaazul,
I started at the end of March, although I did switch around a few items due to sensitivity issues. I had a pretty established routine by mid April. The steps remain the same but several items were removed and replaced by others.

Evangaline,
Allergies is a serious matter; go slow and let your skin settle down. Stick to the very basic cleanse, tone, and moisturize for now. I know there's so many fun things to try out, not to mention wanting to fix your skin right away, but this is best for the long term. I hope it'll get better soon.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you Ame and Chrono, I definitely will take it slow despite temptation. I've always had sensitive skin and had to be careful of fragrance, alcohol, etc. and not add in products willy nilly, but nothing like this whole immune system freakout domino-ing to my skin thing. :(sad

It is challenging because not one of the products that I used comfortably for years is currently being tolerated by my skin. Hopefully things continue to calm down, and I am looking at it as the perfect opportunity to learn about skincare and eventually end up with a great regime that helps me feel and look my very best.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
House Cat|1461937027|4025054 said:
Thanks for the moisturizer recs! I can't wait to try them!

Momhappy, I have fine and oily hair. It gets oily in the middle of the day, especially on my bangs. This is what I do...

First, a few highlights help. Truth is, they are drying. Even some color can help.

Next you need to find a shampoo that is clarifying but that doesn't cause reactive oiliness. I sort of switch between a clarifying shampoo and a normal shampoo.

I also shampoo wash one day and conditioner wash the second day (still shampoo washing my bangs and this really oily spot on the back of my head). So what I mean is, I wet my hair and take a tiny amount of shampoo and wash my bangs and that one super oily spot while making sure I don't get shampoo anywhere else. Then I rinse. Then I co-wash my hair, avoiding my bangs. I do this because I have been told that I need to cut down on shampooing to stop oiliness. I haven't been able to do that. This is a happy medium and it has helped.

I spray dry shampoo in my hair at the roots immediately after styling before it gets oily. This helps a lot! Use a good dry shampoo! They are not all created equal. I use batiste but I am going to try Living Proof next time.

Living proof also has a product that people have been raving about that keeps your hair oil free for days. It is an overnight mask. http://www.livingproof.com/buy/perfecthairday-nightcap-overnight-perfector I haven't personally tried it but I think it was Gypsy who tried it and liked it. I need to buy it and give it a try...

Hope some of this helps...

Thanks! It's not my hair that's oily - it's my daughter. She's going through puberty....and too young for highlights. I'm going to check out the Living Proof that you (and others) recommended.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a VERY oily scalp. I can wash it in the morning and by 6pm it's oily.

Nothing really helps. I'll be honest. Pureology had a scalp shampoo, and it was fantastic, but they discontinued it and the formulations now just strip my hair and leave it dry and do nothing for the scalp . Terrible. I've tried MANY MANY shampoos.

I've tried washing my hair less (every 4-6 days) for 6 months. Nope. I've tried washing my hair more for 6 months. Nope. I've tried everything in between.

I've gotten highlights. Nope. I've dyed my hair. Nope. Just got damaged hair with an oily scalp out of it. I don't dye it at all now, and it's the same, but my hair is healthier.

The best things I've found are the Living Proof hair mask, HC mentioned. And a good dry shampoo. I use the Living Proof dry shampoo. But it is VERY expensive for the number of uses you get. There are other dry shampoos that get great reviews, are available at Target, and cost much less. Especially for a teenager, I would recommend testing those first. I actually plan to myself after my current bottle runs out.

Having a dry shampoo is a life saver.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^Thanks for sharing that. I agree that dry shampoos are wonderful on an oily scalp. My concern (as I said before) is breathing it in every day - it can't be good for your lungs. We try to use it in large rooms (and hold our breath :lol: ), but you still end up breathing it in. Sometimes, we step outside on the back patio to spray and then come back in to brush. I have also used baby powder before too, but I don't think that's good for lungs either. I'm going to buy the Living Proof overnight product and see if that helps her.

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1462190371|4026110 said:
^Thanks for sharing that. I agree that dry shampoos are wonderful on an oily scalp. My concern (as I said before) is breathing it in every day - it can't be good for your lungs. We try to use it in large rooms (and hold our breath :lol: ), but you still end up breathing it in. Sometimes, we step outside on the back patio to spray and then come back in to brush. I have also used baby powder before too, but I don't think that's good for lungs either. I'm going to buy the Living Proof overnight product and see if that helps her.
There are dry shampoos out there that you can sprinkle into your hands or onto the roots and then run into the hair. You could also find her a volumiZing powder that does the same thing.

People rave about cornstarch as a dry shampoo on the Internet. I would watch a YouTube video or two on it. I am not tempted to try it because my hair is dark.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
Dry shampoo has been lifesaver for me. If I wash my hair more then once a week it gets stripped, and gets dry and breaks. Its been such a hassle, but dry shampoo (I use Batiste) is a miracle worker!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It seems that my list of skin triggers is getting longer:

Galactomyces/saccharomyces ferment filtrate (which is why I cannot use Missha FTE and Goodal Camellia Oil)
Coconut Oil
Honey
Mineral Oil
Alcohol (ethanol, denat alcohol, SD alcohol, etc)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do any of you use oil-based body washes? Or just plain oils to wash your body skin?

I found the Neutrogena one for the body but it has fragrance and a bunch of stuff in it.

And for those of you that use oils...where do you guys purchase them? (I was buying them at Whole Foods but they come in small bottles and they don't have a large selection. I'd like to try some more types, since DH has not found THE oil for him yet.)

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1462364646|4027063 said:

Galactomyces/saccharomyces ferment filtrate (which is why I cannot use Missha FTE and Goodal Camellia Oil)
Coconut Oil
Honey
Mineral Oil

Oh no, honey too? :( And you were loving the Scinic AIO. I actually have this but haven't started using it yet -- I've been trying find a new sunscreen so I've been rotating them one at a time for a couple of weeks each, and don't want to introduce anything else at the same time. For something that's 90% honey extract, there's sure a lot of stuff in there, so I do want to be careful about introducing it.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock

Coconut Oil
Honey
Mineral Oil

Ugh, I am sorry to hear your list is getting longer Chrono. It is so much work and such a long process to figure out what will work for you when you have sensitive skin, and so disappointing to give up products you like!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock

Coconut Oil
Honey
Mineral Oil

wow I am so sorry! Have you tried the innisfree sunblock yet? I was hoping it would work out for you

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
azstonie|1461790963|4024305 said:
Ckrickett---I use Peter Thomas Roth peel pads every morning before my shower, I love them.
I got them and tried them out for the first time last night! I really liked them, and I hope they continue to work as nicely as they did yesterday

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

momhappy - have you considered witch hazel? I remember doing that as a teenager...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1462380529|4027191 said:

Coconut Oil
Honey
Mineral Oil

Ugh, I am sorry to hear your list is getting longer Chrono. It is so much work and such a long process to figure out what will work for you when you have sensitive skin, and so disappointing to give up products you like!

I'm sorry too Chrono. I cannot use the above ingredients either. It sucks having hypersensitive and reactive skin. But you are on the way to finding exactly what works for you and what will provide good results! (((HUGS))).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Missy,
I haven't seen any updates from you. How is it going?

ckrickett,
The Innisfree sunblock just arrived last night so I haven't the opportunity to try it out.

Evangeline,
Yes, it is tough. I'm sorry you have very sensitive skin too. :blackeye:

Yanaazul,
I am sending the Honey AIO back to Memebox but I get to try the Snail AIO later this week. :devil: My skin definitely loves lacto bacillus though!

CJ,
I've never used oil based body washes before. I get my oils from Garden of Wisdom.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
CJ2008|1462400257|4027351 said:

momhappy - have you considered witch hazel? I remember doing that as a teenager...

Thanks! I'll research that and maybe give it a try:)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1462450104|4027561 said:
CJ,
I've never used oil based body washes before. I get my oils from Garden of Wisdom.

Thank you chrono. :))

Hope your skin issues resolve - my DH has much more trouble than I do with skin and it is so difficult to try to even begin to understand what ingredients cause issues and so frustrating that he'll like a cream or whatever and then days later he can't use it any more.

Cool momhappy - hope you find something for your DD that works well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, I might be taking it too slowly and conservatively because I am using just the tiniest bit of Retin-A and using lots of moisturizer combined with it. And I am applying it only twice a week. Monday nights and Thursday nights. So while I am not seeing any negative effects (YAY) I am not seeing any positive effects either. LOL. But I am continuing this slow pace because once I experience a setback it might be difficult to get back to my "normal" if you kwim. SO not worth rushing. Thank you for asking.

I cannot remember who asked in this thread about soap but this is what I use to wash my hands and I never use regular soap since my POD outbreak in october 2014.

Dr. Bronner's 18-in-1 Hemp Pure-Castile Soap Baby Mild
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=161148&catid=277898&aid=338666&aparam=161148&kpid=161148&CAWELAID=120142990000023975&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=15551035213&CATCI=pla-96761576413

Evangeline, how are you doing?

Has anyone tried the sunscreen I recommended? The CotZ face for sensitive skin? I find it non irritating and even soothing and it goes on very smoothly. I can apply it and leave the house without makeup if my skin is not misbehaving that is. Hoping everyone finds sunscreen they can successfully use without issues.

drbronnerhempsoap.jpg

tsavvy

Shiny_Rock
I have really enjoyed this thread for some new product ideas. I'm in my early 40's and have sensitive skin with some issues that seem to have worsened in the past year. My BF is a long-time AmorePacific devotee, but I've never wanted to pay the crazy AP prices. She recently started using some Innisfree, so with her recommendations and ideas from this thread and snail-loving blogs, I picked up some a variety of items and have been transitioning my skin care to something more similar to the k-beauty routines. It is a slow process since I only try out one new product at a time and usually don't use something new on a daily basis until it is clear that my skin isn't going to react.

chrono, missy, ame, ckrickett - I appreciated your descriptions of your routines and the extremely detailed comments and recommendations provided.

Products that I love/really like:
Grain Ferment Cleansing Sherbet
Cosrx Advanced Snail 96 Mucin: My face loves, loves, loves this and I think this and the Cosrx BHA blackhead liquid are responsible for repairing red, scaly patches on my nose after 8-10 weeks of trying a range of prescription and OTC treatments.
Creme de la Mer lotion and FAB Ultra Repair Cream: Both of these do a good job moisturizing and don't irritate my skin.

Products that I'm trying out:
Holy Snails Shark Sauce (doesn't irritate, but can't see any improvements yet)
Innisfree Green Tea Lotion and Cream

On order:
Mizon AHA/BHA Daily Clean Toner (to replace Benton Aloe BHA toner which I like, but don't love)
Benton Fermentation Eye Cream
Peter Thomas Roth Peel Pads
Mizon Snail Recovery Gel Cream
Innisfree Orchid Enriched Cream (also ordered one for my mom)
CotZ SPF 40 Sensitive (ordered this for my mom, too)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ,
Sounds like your DH is my skin twin. I'd love the texture and feel of a product then a day or two later, my skin rebels. :(

Missy,
Slow and conservative is a good thing! It sure beats a bad reaction, then the scramble to recover from it, which sometimes might even exacerbate it.

Updated routine:
I consider this my baseline routine since it is non reactive and works on my skin as I've been using this for the past few weeks.

A.M.
1. Cleanse: Water rinse
2. Essence: Snowbang [for hydration]
3. Serum: Shark Sauce [for hyperpigmentation]
4. Facial Oil: El Dorado Oil Serum [stable form of Vit C]
5. Mask: Freeset Donkey Milk Healing / Aqua [for extra hydration, and calms the redness]
6. Sunscreen: Innisfree / Atopita

P.M.
1. Cleanse: Botanic Farm Grain Ferment Cleansing Sherbet [remove sunscreen]
2. Double Cleanse: Gokujyn Hyaluronic Cleansing Foam [remove dirt]
3. BHA: Corsx BHA Blackhead Power Liquid pH4.0 [for pores]
4. AHA: Papa Recipe White Flower 8% AHA Gel pH3.8 [for uneven skin]
5. Essence: Snowbang
6. Serum: Shark Sauce
7. Mask: Freeset Donkey Milk Healing / Aqua
8: Moisturize: Skin Ceramic Donkey Milk Yogurt Sleeping Pack

I've removed Wishtrend OST21.5 Vitamin C serum because it isn't travel friendly and replaced it with El Dorado Oil Serum, which contains THDA, an oil soluble and stable form of Vitamin C that does not require refridgeration. I also usually wake up before the alarm clock rings, so I'd start my morning routine, slap on the mask and go back to bed until the alarm clock rings. :lol: I find that my skin is able to stay hydrated all day long in the dry office air if I double mask.

Although this is working great, I'd like to add a toner and an ampoule into my routine. I will be patch testing Enprani Moistfull Booskin, which I hope will help my essence and serum absorb better, and will ease back into the Missha Borabit for aging skin. I will also be patch testing Scinic Snail AIO out of pure curiousity. :lol:

I am still testing the Innisfree sunscreen.

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1462530265|4028004 said:
Evangeline, how are you doing?

Hi Missy, thanks for asking. I've been avoiding tree nuts, peanuts and sulfates, since these three are my top suspects for the anapylaxis and so far so good. Taking an anti histamine daily for the seasonal allergies, which should also be good for calming my skin reactivity as well, and my skin has been mending nicely...until this morning. My usual bland moisturizer stung my cheeks like crazy, and I have red patches that are now hot...sigh.

Suspects are:

-day 3 of trialing a new product- Hylamide Sensitivity fix booster

-used a cheapo Tresemme sea salt spray on my hair last night that has fragrance in it that was recommended by a friend, and went to bed with my hair wet. I am sure in my tossing and turning the product would have made some contact with my face via pillowcase, and my ears are also a little hot and red today...so...

I feel stupid. I just didn't think of the hair stuff in terms of needing to isolate and test for a skin reaction even though I've been being soooo careful with my face. :wall: My hair did look very wavy and pretty this morning...but the smell- ack, gag. And I usually don't use much if any hair product, because of how much fragrances bug me! Again, feeling stupid.

At least it should be easy to sort out. No stinky hair stuff, wash my pillowcase and apply the Hylamide test product only on one half of my face to see what happens over the next couple of days.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Evangeline, sorry about your latest setback but please don't blame yourself. It is a tricky navigation for those of us with hypersensitive skin and sometimes it isn't anything we do at all but rather external factors. Fortunately it seems in this case it is one of 2 culprits so glad you are getting that figured out. I use only hair products without lots of chemicals and those pesky sulfates. Here is what I use that might be close to the hair product you just tried but that doesn't have harmful ingredients in it.

Is this something you think might help your hair? I love it. I spray it on while my hair is still damp and it dries without frizz or crunchiness. Hate that crunchiness. It has fragrance listed as its last ingredient so not sure if that is an issue for you. I will tell you I cannot tolerate most fragrances at all in any way but for some reason it doesn't affect me when using this spray. Very faint fragrance and maybe it won't bother you either? Anyway just sharing it in case you (or someone else) finds it helpful.

https://www.ouidad.com/wave-create-sea-spray.html

Hope you are back on the road of recovery and smooth sailing before you know it and good for you in figuring out how to calm your skin and keep it healthy!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Instant reaction to the Scinic snail AIO; my whole face turned an angry red and DS1 said I looked like a cooked lobster. Needless to say, it's not going to be a part of my routine. :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1462662405|4028771 said:
Instant reaction to the Scinic snail AIO; my whole face turned an angry red and DS1 said I looked like a cooked lobster. Needless to say, it's not going to be a part of my routine. :bigsmile:

Hoping your face heals quickly and you are all better today Chrono.
Happy Mother's Day!

EvangelineG

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the product recommendation Missy! That is exactly the type of thing I am after. I have natural wave in my hair, I just wanted something to boost it a bit. I used to be ok with some subtle fragrance in hair products, so I will give it a try when everything is calmer.

Yesterday my cheeks were so miserable, hot and stinging. The cheek where I had applied the Hylamide Sensitivity Fix was calmer than the other, but both were still very inflamed. I researched what I thought I might be able to tolerate that would help, and decided to take a chance on La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5.

http://www.en.laroche-posay.ca/products-treatments/Cicaplast/CICAPLAST-BAUME-B5-p8682.aspx

I'm so glad I did. After some intitial stinging, which I had read to expect (it resolved within seconds), the relief...great googly moogly the RELIEF! The stinging and heat were completely gone. I applied twice yesterday and this morning my cheeks are only slightly red. I think this is going to be a really great product to have in my reaction response arsenal, and wanted to share here for any other sensitive skin ladies who may be interested.

And happy Mothers Day to everybody! :wavey:

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry to hear about the additional sensitivities, Chrono. Hopefully the new set of products don't irritate the skin.

I'm not currently using an ampoule right now, but the skin seems to be less irritated lately. Not sure if it's because of the new Perseids oil or the multitude of vitamins and supplements I'm on. I've stopped the BOLC-A temporarily as I'm doing fertility treatments.

Also not so sure about the Skin, Inc. serums. It seems like I can't use Co-Q 10 on my face. However, I am taking a Co-Q 10 supplement so...guess it's ok to ingest, but not to use on the skin. At first, I thought my face was reacting to the other Skin serums as well, but now it doesn't seem like it does. But, at $90 for three of them, I'm not sure I'll get them again.

I did get sucked into buying Belif's Creamy Deep Moisturizer and Hangover Soothing Mask. I really like the mask, especially chilled from the fridge. Also got the Caolion hot and cool pore cleansing pack. I've only used the pore pack on my nose.

The next products I have purchased to try out: Corsyx Centella alcohol free toner and Adlay organic slowganic cleanser. We'll see how those work out.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EvangelineG|1462725985|4028994 said:
Thanks for the product recommendation Missy! That is exactly the type of thing I am after. I have natural wave in my hair, I just wanted something to boost it a bit. I used to be ok with some subtle fragrance in hair products, so I will give it a try when everything is calmer.

Yesterday my cheeks were so miserable, hot and stinging. The cheek where I had applied the Hylamide Sensitivity Fix was calmer than the other, but both were still very inflamed. I researched what I thought I might be able to tolerate that would help, and decided to take a chance on La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5.

http://www.en.laroche-posay.ca/products-treatments/Cicaplast/CICAPLAST-BAUME-B5-p8682.aspx

I'm so glad I did. After some intitial stinging, which I had read to expect (it resolved within seconds), the relief...great googly moogly the RELIEF! The stinging and heat were completely gone. I applied twice yesterday and this morning my cheeks are only slightly red. I think this is going to be a really great product to have in my reaction response arsenal, and wanted to share here for any other sensitive skin ladies who may be interested.

And happy Mothers Day to everybody! :wavey:

You're very welcome Evangeline. I hope you like it. And glad you are finding relief with La Roche Posay Cicaplast Baume B5. I thought that was pretty good but if you are ever in the mood to experiment I really loved Avene Cicalfate for calming my very irritated face. I found it more soothing than the Cicaplast. Of course as with all things YMMV but I just throw it out there in case it could help calm your face down should you need something again.

Yimmers, glad your skin is less irritated now...Yay! I don't know about you but I know my whole mood lifts if my face is behaving. Sad but true. I am trying to reach the point where I am happy no matter what is going on with my face and other health related issues but I haven't quite mastered that yet so woohoo for calm skin days for all PSers.

Good luck with your next set of new products to try.

Chrono, how are you doing now? Hoping things have calmed down and you are having good skin days.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results