shape
carat
color
clarity

Be honest..do you exceed the speed limit...

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
when driving on the freeway?
My friends say I drive like grandpa b/c I only go 5 miles over the speed limit.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I set cruise control to just a little over the speed limit, maybe 7 at the most and camp the right lane. If I have to shift left, I'll pick up speed to match the flow then get back in the right lane.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
There are automatic roadside speed cameras here so I never excessively speed - I have better things to do with my $150! That being said, I may never excessively speed, but I speed constantly. I am always 3-5 kms over the limit, knowing full well the cameras are usually set to give you ~5 km leeway.

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Yes I do speed, as does almost everyone here in Seoul. Depending on the location, it ranges from 5 kph to 20 kph over. I used to not speed more than 5-10 over but over here if you do not keep up with traffic-which is almost always speeding-it can be a bit dangerous. I know that spunds odd, but everyone speeds here and if you do not, you have drivers tailgating and cutting you off as they pass you.

Like JG, we have automatic roadside speed cameras here. There is a sign on the side of the street saying there will be a camera making sure you are going X kph in X meters. So traffic will speed as much as they want, slow down for the camera, and then speed up again.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
I might sometimes go 5km/hr over the limit on normal streets, and consistantly just under 10km/hr over the limit on motorways. Im under the impression that in aus tickets are given out exceeding 10km/hr over the limit, although they've tightened it recently and not told us by how much. So 7km/hr might be safer!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No more than 10 mph over the speed limit. I like to get where I am going in a timely and safe fashion without getting points on my license.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
armywife13|1396781044|3648295 said:
Yes I do speed, as does almost everyone here in Seoul. Depending on the location, it ranges from 5 kph to 20 kph over. I used to not speed more than 5-10 over but over here if you do not keep up with traffic-which is almost always speeding-it can be a bit dangerous. I know that spunds odd, but everyone speeds here and if you do not, you have drivers tailgating and cutting you off as they pass you.

Like JG, we have automatic roadside speed cameras here. There is a sign on the side of the street saying there will be a camera making sure you are going X kph in X meters. So traffic will speed as much as they want, slow down for the camera, and then speed up again.

We have those kind, set in particular locations with signs beforehand to remind you of their presence, but we also have mobile ones that move every day. They are set up in the back of white SUVs -- those are the ones you have to watch out for. No one in Perth trusts a light-coloured SUV on the side of the road or in the median. :lol:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1396781578|3648299 said:
I might sometimes go 5km/hr over the limit on normal streets, and consistantly just under 10km/hr over the limit on motorways. Im under the impression that in aus tickets are given out exceeding 10km/hr over the limit, although they've tightened it recently and not told us by how much. So 7km/hr might be safer!

My DH has gotten two tickets at 6km over - the police must be extra money-hungry in the great west.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
All the time but I try to keep it to 10 mph over. Cops here allow drivers that much.

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
i have been told that i do speed... maybe 10kph over irrespective of the speed limit in the metro area. if it is 60kph, i am at 70kph. if it is 70kph, i am at 80 kph and it is not because i look at the sign and say lets go 10kph over, similarly if it reduced to 60kph, i am at 70kph again... it automatically happens.... maybe i am following the general traffic speed.

One day we were in 2 separate cars: DD1 was with DH and DD2 was with me. We both drove home and i got home first. during the trip home, DD1 asked DH where was i, as she could not see my car. DH responded that i was ahead or something similar... When we got home.. DD1 said to me slow down daddy!!!!

Sadly, i still am usually 10kph over
hehehehehe

Kelinas

Shiny_Rock
Always. Its quite horrible.
I got pulled over last year for going 82 in a 65 but the officer gave me a written warning. Was good for a while then was late towork and got pulled over for doing 57 in a 45, but got only a verbal warning.

My friend and I went to Daytona Beach yesterday and he got pulled over doing 83 in 60 zone but the sheriff only gave a warning..

I really do try to stay at ~5 mph on regular roads and ~9 on highways.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Technically, yes. But practically, no. Out here in the Great Plains, people drive like maniacs, pretty much. If you don't flow with the traffic, you're going to be run over, it's as simple as that. Sometimes you get run over even when you DO.

I generally do 5-10 mph over the limit, and I try to hit the sweet spot of under 10. It's not uncommon though, if I'm driving into work really early at 5:30am, to have at least a couple of a-holes in PE* trucks, blast by at 90+, and more than once while on a certain section of my route, there has been a motorcycle that blasts up the CENTER white line between a pack of cars traveling together on a two-lane stretch. That'll take a few years off your life, seeing a motorcyclist about 10 inches from your driver's side door.

*PE "penile enhancement" truck - an extra large, high-profile pickup truck, the larger the better, ala a Ford F-350 club-cab, long-bed dually, preferably with a pristine bed-liner, and a color-matched bed cover, lots of sparkly chrome, and a paint job that looks like it was buffed with a diaper. Extra points for all the same features in a RAM truck, not having a tool box anywhere to be seen, and a pair of truck nuts dangling off the back. Used strictly as a commuter vehicle.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I go with traffic generally. I live in NY and often that means 10-15 over the limit. The limit is only 55 so going 65-70 doesn't concern me at all. As long as I'm not standing out from the pack then I'm fine with it.

Trekkie

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, look at all you casual criminals! :lol:

I don't really speed (in town, anyway - open road is a different story!) but I am a very aggressive driver.

I'm usually the one behind you hooting (honking?) because you don't pull away as soon as the light goes green.

Just the other day I told an enormous bodybuilder to put away the effing phone while he was driving and flipped him the bird as I did so.

Oh... And my town is populated by pedestrians who think they have a right to walk wherever they like, regardless of pedestrian crossings or traffic. I'm so sick and tired of this that I no longer stop, I just keep going. It's given several of them quite a fright!

amc80

Ideal_Rock
When I lived on California I did. But that's because the flow of traffic was probably 80, especially in San Diego. People fly down there. Here in NV you will get pulled over for going faster than 70 in a 65. Plus DH is a cop so I try to be good.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1396791300|3648333 said:
I go with traffic generally. I live in NY and often that means 10-15 over the limit. The limit is only 55 so going 65-70 doesn't concern me at all. As long as I'm not standing out from the pack then I'm fine with it.

^ I agree with this - but when it comes to cross-country/long-distance road trips, it is possible that my car has trouble staying below 90mph in some areas...

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I avoid the fast lane because I drive like an old lady. The speed limit is 70 here and I may go 75 at the fastest, but my most comfortable speed is in the 40s :errrr:

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I drive like an old lady too. I live near a main road that has a lot of accidents. Too much overtaking. There are lots of speed cameras and the police also park mobile cameras at the side of the road to catch you out. If we get speeding convictions here it can double your car insurance so I'm very careful.

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I speed pretty regularly. I never go so fast that I feel unsafe, and rarely over 10mph over the limit. Speed limits haven't changed in years, and he safety and reliability of cars HAS changed, drastically, even in the last 10 years. I think it's time to re-evaluate speed limits, especially expressways/freeways/highways.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
manderz|1396805204|3648422 said:
I speed pretty regularly. I never go so fast that I feel unsafe, and rarely over 10mph over the limit. Speed limits haven't changed in years, and he safety and reliability of cars HAS changed, drastically, even in the last 10 years. I think it's time to re-evaluate speed limits, especially expressways/freeways/highways.

Disagree. The safety of modern cars is not a reason to push the limits so that we overcome the measures put in place. Because if you go fast enough, no safety measure in the world will matter. Most interstates are back up to 70-75mph, and that's quite fast enough for me, considering that whatever the speed limit is will always then be pushed by a 10mph excess, (as evidenced in this very thread). There are also many more vehicles and much larger ones, on the road in most areas that aren't the American outback, another reason to not raise the limits, and finally, until we repair our infrastructure (says the woman who had a piece (about the size of my fist) of a section of the deck of an elevated portion of I-35 fall on the roof of her 48-hour-old 2014 Mazda 6) - we don't need to be further pounding the hell out of it.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do the opposite.
Instead of getting there in as little time as possible I get there on as little gas as possible in my little hybrid car.

Even so, I feel terribly guilty that so many of my country's sons and daughters are sent to die in oil wars so we can guzzle the stuff.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Im from Michigan. We pretty much all speed. lol.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trekkie|1396792327|3648337 said:
Oh... And my town is populated by pedestrians who think they have a right to walk wherever they like, regardless of pedestrian crossings or traffic. I'm so sick and tired of this that I no longer stop, I just keep going. It's given several of them quite a fright!
:lol: ..people do same here in certain part of town... :angryfire:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the interstate, I try to stay under 10 over the limit. I generally set the cruise control for about 8 over and drive without stress! Around town I try to stick to 5 over because I think it is more likely to get stopped.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and I have had two previous speeding tickets in the past.

DK :oops:

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
ksinger|1396813013|3648494 said:
manderz|1396805204|3648422 said:

Disagree. The safety of modern cars is not a reason to push the limits so that we overcome the measures put in place. Because if you go fast enough, no safety measure in the world will matter. Most interstates are back up to 70-75mph, and that's quite fast enough for me, considering that whatever the speed limit is will always then be pushed by a 10mph excess, (as evidenced in this very thread). There are also many more vehicles and much larger ones, on the road in most areas that aren't the American outback, another reason to not raise the limits, and finally, until we repair our infrastructure (says the woman who had a piece (about the size of my fist) of a section of the deck of an elevated portion of I-35 fall on the roof of her 48-hour-old 2014 Mazda 6) - we don't need to be further pounding the hell out of it.

I'm so sorry about your car! That's rough.

I will admit, I do adjust my speed to the road conditions, but around here, the fastest speed limit we have is 65, and that's only one interstate. All the other ones are 55. You're right about the infrastructure, there are certainly sections of roadway where I'd never consider going 80, but there are others I've been on that 80 felt like a crawl. Again, I would never drive in a manner that left me, or one of my passengers, feeling anxious or unsafe. Perhaps address the infrastructure, then re-evaluate.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I do. And DH is far worse than me.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1396817836|3648523 said:
On the interstate, I try to stay under 10 over the limit. I generally set the cruise control for about 8 over and drive without stress! Around town I try to stick to 5 over because I think it is more likely to get stopped.

This is my driving style to a tee.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
70-75 mph is the fastest I'll travel in my SUV on the highway. Even at that speed I don't feel totally comfortable. I used to speed but that was back when I drove small, easily-maneuverable cars. And I don't care if everyone else is going 90, I stay to the right and they're all free to pass me (and they do!) 100 years ago in driver's ed, I remember our instructor teaching us to stay out of the "wolf pack" (a group of vehicles all clustered together going the same speed) because of the potential for pile-ups, etc.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All the time. I have had more speeding tickets than I can count. I have gone to traffic school too many times. I try to use my cruise control a lot more these days. The PD in my town LOVE to write tickets.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results