carat
color
clarity

Bad to knock diamond around?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I was just reading ello's thread about resetting because she has small children and wanted to protect her stone. Is it bad to knock your stone against things that aren't that hard? I knock it a couple times a day at least, on the rubber parts of the treadmill, sometimes the glass shower walls, my wood desk at the office, my ceramic mug. On rare occassions it drops on the stone floor at the gym. I can't leave it in the locker. I run many miles with two rings on, a little pave band next to my ering. There is no diamond on diamond rubbing. I try to take it off before washing dishes... Plastic or wood souls not damage a diamond right? And if I did not hit it very hard against glass...

Oh dear. I am afraid to see your annswers. :oops:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, dropping on a stone floor? :errrr: That one is very bad. You could chip your diamond or ding up your setting pretty badly!

The others don't sound as risky, but of course any knock or bump could technically cause damage.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you're thinking, OMG, she needs to bezel that rock, please just tell me. I always thought that you'd have to whack it pretty hard to crack a diamond. And I don't care that much if the setting gets dinged up. Oh geez. Since I'm considering a reset, I wonder if I have to throw a bezel setting into the mix. Could a halo at least protect the girdle??

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LLJsmom|1390535841|3600010 said:
...on the rubber parts of the treadmill
Meh.

sometimes the glass shower walls
Uh oh...

my wood desk at the office, my ceramic mug.
Ooh. Ow.

On rare occassions it drops on the stone floor at the gym.
NO!!!

I had to give my awesome (but stubborn) wife the same advice: Take it off. I know you love it. I know it's the symbol of your eternal love. But in some circumstances you should take it off... or come to peace with the fact that a knock against a suitably hard object - like a stone floor, ceramic tile, even a shower wall - could cause breakage.

I'd just add that if you have insurance you're covered. But the point, to me, is to preserve this particular emotional symbol. Each person has to decide on his/her own what that is worth.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John Pollard|1390538739|3600037 said:
Meh.

Uh oh...

Ooh. Ow.

NO!!!

I had to give my awesome (but stubborn) wife the same advice: Take it off. I know you love it. I know it's the symbol of your eternal love. But in some circumstances you should take it off... or come to peace with the fact that a knock against a suitably hard object - like a stone floor, ceramic tile, even a shower wall - could cause breakage.

I'd just add that if you have insurance you're covered. But the point, to me, is to preserve this particular emotional symbol. Each person has to decide on his/her own what that is worth.

Doh, this is bad if someone in the trade is telling me this...

I can take it off when I get home, but I can't really for the gym. Ok, I have to get gym clothes that have zipper pockets. Realistically, I can reduce the banging, but will likely not be able to completely eliminate it.

Would you say I am a prime candidate for a bezel set?? Would a halo be better? If the melee fall out, I can at least replace those...

BAd idea??

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meh.

Uh oh...

Ooh. Ow.

NO!!!

And I do have insurance, but how can I see if I cracked it? Just loupe the hell out of it? Feel the girdle for nicks? Would I be able to see a nick or chip with a 20X loupe?

Actually, my stone already got loose in the six prong already. It was turning, and I had to take it to the jeweler to retighten. This is not looking good.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good advice, John! My mother's original diamond actually shattered inside from a blow that she was not even aware of, so I realized early on that diamonds definitely can be damaged.

LLJsmom, are you going straight to the gym from work or something? I wouldn't wear it to the gym or shower in it if at all possible. Best case is to put them on right before leaving the house and taking them off as soon as you get home and before you go anywhere else or do any work in the house!

Yes, you should be able to see damage even with a 10x loupe.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LLJsmom|1390539468|3600046 said:
Doh, this is bad if someone in the trade is telling me this... I can take it off when I get home, but I can't really for the gym. Ok, I have to get gym clothes that have zipper pockets. Realistically, I can reduce the banging, but will likely not be able to completely eliminate it. Would you say I am a prime candidate for a bezel set?? Would a halo be better? If the melee fall out, I can at least replace those...BAd idea??
I have convinced my wife to put her ring in a wallet at the gym and store it in her locker. If it's stolen we have insurance. Yes, a bezel protects better if you want to go through the trouble. Frankly a halo (to me) is not better because you now expose all the pointers to whatever trauma you're talking about.

LLJsmom|1390539697|3600048 said:
And I do have insurance, but how can I see if I cracked it? Just loupe the hell out of it? Feel the girdle for nicks? Would I be able to see a nick or chip with a 20X loupe?
The kind of break I'm talking about involves a cleavage point and a fracture that you won't need a loupe to see.

Honestly, I am not trying to scare you. The chances of this happening are not overwhelming, but they exist.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1390539827|3600049 said:
Good advice, John! My mother's original diamond actually shattered inside from a blow that she was not even aware of, so I realized early on that diamonds definitely can be damaged.

LLJsmom, are you going straight to the gym from work or something? I wouldn't wear it to the gym or shower in it if at all possible. Best case is to put them on right before leaving the house and taking them off as soon as you get home and before you go anywhere else or do any work in the house!

Ditto all of this.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1390539827|3600049 said:

Diamondseeker, I workout in the middle of the day. Yeah, I go back to work. I have at least stopped lifting weights with it.

John Pollard said:
LLJsmom|1390539468|3600046 said:
Doh, this is bad if someone in the trade is telling me this... I can take it off when I get home, but I can't really for the gym. Ok, I have to get gym clothes that have zipper pockets. Realistically, I can reduce the banging, but will likely not be able to completely eliminate it. Would you say I am a prime candidate for a bezel set?? Would a halo be better? If the melee fall out, I can at least replace those...BAd idea??

I have convinced my wife to put her ring in a wallet at the gym and store it in her locker. If it's stolen we have insurance. Yes, a bezel protects better if you want to go through the trouble. Frankly a halo (to me) is not better because you now expose all the pointers to whatever trauma you're talking about.

Honestly, I am not trying to scare you. The chances of this happening are not overwhelming, but they exist.

I don't forsee being able to change the gym schedule. I will definitely take it off when I get home then. Promise. Would halo or bezel be better at protecting the center stone?

Ok, excellent point. I do have insurance. ok, maybe i do need to stop wearing it at the gym and in the shower. oh geez. I feel like such an idiot!! I appreciate the straight talk. I am scared, because I am doing stupid $h**.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LLJsmom|1390540629|3600063 said:
I don't forsee being able to change the gym schedule.
Let's keep this real: I'm someone who has transformed my (aging) life with exercise. Your physical health is the priority here, and good on you for the commitment. Now be creative. If you're not comfortable with a wallet, can you buy a lanyard and put the ring around your neck, or similarly out of harm's way, at the gym?

ok, maybe i do need to stop wearing it at the gym and in the shower. oh geez. I feel like such an idiot!! I appreciate the straight talk. I am scared, because I am doing stupid $h**.
Do not feel like an idiot. You're asking great questions but, again, let's keep this real: The ring is a physical object but your physical fitness is about your life. Do what you can to protect it, but keep the main thing the main thing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Meh.
utoh for the setting however if you have to catch yourself.
What just flew past my head?
Why is my shank an oval?
Why is all the skin missing from my finger? (yes it has happened)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1390541484|3600066 said:
Meh.
utoh for the setting however if you have to catch yourself.
What just flew past my head?
Why is my shank an oval?
Why is all the skin missing from my finger? (yes it has happened)

:lol: :lol: Yeah, I realized it fell out of my pants pocket when I was changing when I heard the clink on the floor just yesterday.

Hmmm, missing skin. Another interesting fact that never occurred to me. My girlfriend wore her ering for the whole marathon. Yeah, ok, I will make the gym thing work. But I would only just put them in zipper pockets. It will still rub for an hour in the pockets on the treadmill. Is that bad for the stone too? Dang, this is getting so complicated!! And the pockets are in the back so I can't do chest presses lying on my back. Well, actually, I confess I have actually laid on top of my ring, but the mat is cushioned. I wonder if that is why the prong to tweaked. You know. The more I think about it, the leaving it in the locker seems to make the most sense.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsMom, my solution for keeping your ring safe at the gym is to keep it in your sports bra.

You can do this by sewing in one of those small fabric "envelopes"--something like this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/1477900806/Fancy_fabric_envelop_jewelry_bags.html into the sports bra between the cups where it won't bother you too much.

When I got married the first time, I had my grandmother's engagement ring as my "something old" and my mother sewed it into the bustline of my wedding gown. I never even knew it was there.

Just a thought!

ETA: come to think of it, they should just make sports bras with a tiny pocket right there just for this purpose. Hmm. Ok, someone steal my idea but I want compensation. :naughty:

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I guess what I don't understand is why you can't keep it in your locker at the gym? Do you not use a lock? When I was wearing my rings to the gym I would keep a ring box in my purse, take them off before I got to the gym so nobody would see them, put them in the box and put the box back in my purse. Then I'd lock my purse, along with my other belongings, in my locker. When I left the gym, I'd wait till I got to my car to put them back on (again, so nobody would see them).

I'm a big fan of bezels, btw. :wink2:

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think someone posted a thread recently about a rubber cover for rings while exercising? I'm not sure how comfortable to wear or how effective they are in protecting your jewelry? :confused:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you lock it in your desk or a locker at work? It's great you can work out at lunch and I would just find a place to lock my ring away while I am at the gym if I were you. That's a chance worth taking (locking it away somewhere while you are exercising) IMO and then you can even start lifting weights again on your lunch hour.

Meezermom

Shiny_Rock
I don't wear my engagement ring to the gym. In fact, I don't wear my diamond wedding band to the gym. I replace both with a plain white gold band.

When I get home from work or from shopping, I immediately take off my rings. Not so much for protection (although that's certainly a part of it), but because I'm more comfortable that way.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone,

I was just reading ello's thread about resetting because she has small children and wanted to protect her stone. Is it bad to knock your stone against things that aren't that hard? I knock it a couple times a day at least, on the rubber parts of the treadmill, sometimes the glass shower walls, my wood desk at the office, my ceramic mug. On rare occassions it drops on the stone floor at the gym. I can't leave it in the locker. I run many miles with two rings on, a little pave band next to my ering. There is no diamond on diamond rubbing. I try to take it off before washing dishes... Plastic or wood souls not damage a diamond right? And if I did not hit it very hard against glass...

I seriously just stroked out reading this. I am not kidding. Someone come pick me up off the floor.

And this, folks, is part of why I almost never wear my rings. I need to use my hands. Rings plus using hands just doesn't compute. At least I don't have that pesky "gym" business getting in the way.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lil Misfit|1390567176|3600145 said:
I guess what I don't understand is why you can't keep it in your locker at the gym? Do you not use a lock? When I was wearing my rings to the gym I would keep a ring box in my purse, take them off before I got to the gym so nobody would see them, put them in the box and put the box back in my purse. Then I'd lock my purse, along with my other belongings, in my locker. When I left the gym, I'd wait till I got to my car to put them back on (again, so nobody would see them).

I'm a big fan of bezels, btw. :wink2:
I'd do it at like...work or something. This is exactly what happened to me when my rings got stolen FYI. Someone saw me do it and knew they were in there. Followed me and bam, stole my purse.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1390573364|3600178 said:
Hi everyone,

I seriously just stroked out reading this. I am not kidding. Someone come pick me up off the floor.

And this, folks, is part of why I almost never wear my rings. I need to use my hands. Rings plus using hands just doesn't compute. At least I don't have that pesky "gym" business getting in the way.

LOL, I was thinking "I sure hope Ame doesn't see this one!"

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dropped a pave band on tile floor once. One stone fell out so I try not to do that anymore. As far as gym, I take off my rings and watch and keep them in the locker. But only because it's a very small and secure facility. Otherwise, I'd never leave any valuables in a regular gym because I always hear about lockers being broken into. If you're going during lunch, try leaving rings in a locked drawer in your work desk or wear them on a chain while exercising.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you drive to the gym? Can you leave it in the car trunk inconspicuously as you take out your gym bag?

If you walk to the gym, then I'd get one of those thin rubber lanyard/necklaces from Rio Grande and slide your ring on there, and wear it around your neck. If you wear a crewneck Tee, it should stay underneath your shirt and not be in your way.

If you do handstands / yoga / etc., then probably tucking it into your sports bra in a tiny fabric sleeve like another poster suggested is the way to go.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Laila619|1390575519|3600206 said:
ame|1390573364|3600178 said:
Hi everyone,

LOL, I was thinking "I sure hope Ame doesn't see this one!"
I hyperventilated and fell right over.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hang it around your neck on a chain, if you don't want to leave it in your locker. Thick chain, sturdy chain.

And stop dropping it! :lol:

Diamonds can crack and chip.

If you have any colored stones, they can crack and chip VERY EASILY. The worst offenders are Tanzanite, Emerald, Opal. They really shouldn't even be rings.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok quick update. I have a plan. Will try it out today. I dropped it because I piut it in pants pocket without zipper. I am totally freaked out that I already chipped it or something. I want to take it out of my string and just out it in the safe deposit box now. I loupes it last night and didn't see anything. Oh geez... Gonna contact my jeweler today. I have to bring it to the gym cause I work out in the middle of the day 4/5 days during the week. Can't wear it on my neck cause the bouncing would bug me, if I am running for an hour. A 30 pound barbell hit my diamond pendant as I was doing a clean and press so I'm really careful about that now. Will let you all know how this goes. On weekends when I run I leave it at home. :).

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LLJsmom|1390585121|3600371 said:
Ok quick update. I have a plan. Will try it out today. I dropped it because I piut it in pants pocket without zipper. I am totally freaked out that I already chipped it or something. I want to take it out of my string and just out it in the safe deposit box now. I loupes it last night and didn't see anything. Oh geez... Gonna contact my jeweler today. I have to bring it to the gym cause I work out in the middle of the day 4/5 days during the week. Can't wear it on my neck cause the bouncing would bug me, if I am running for an hour. A 30 pound barbell hit my diamond pendant as I was doing a clean and press so I'm really careful about that now. Will let you all know how this goes. On weekends when I run I leave it at home. :).
Damn! You like REALLY work out hard! Maybe pin it to your sports bra? But I'd get it checked out first, make sure nothing is wrong with any of the stones or with the setting.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ame|1390586418|3600387 said:
Damn! You like REALLY work out hard! Maybe pin it to your sports bra? But I'd get it checked out first, make sure nothing is wrong with any of the stones or with the setting.

Yeah, it's either that or Prozac. :lol:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dang is this soo difficult? So you have a schedule, you work out it seems regularly. Just leave your ring at home those days. It's not the end of the world! Much better than risking your ring to the damage you seem to be subjecting it.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arghhhh, CRINGE! Nooooo. I'm surprised it didn't crack.

I really don't understand working out in any jewelry at all. I think it would be gross to feel the jewelry sticking to your skin and bouncing around when you're sweating and running. If you have anything white gold, sweat can be bad for it. And of course there is the risk for so much damage. Just don't wear it on days when you're working out, lock it in your glove box, leave it locked in your desk at work, or whatever makes sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results