shape
carat
color
clarity

Bad to knock diamond around?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the best solution is probably to leave in locked up in your office if you have a drawer or file cabinet for which you are the only one who has keys. Better yet is if you have an office door you can also lock. What do you do with your purse while you work out?

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
LOL, for what it's worth, LLJ, I'm closer to your end of the scale. There's no point to owning beautiful jewelry if you can't enjoy it. I tend to wear my rings for everything except silversmithing. Yes, sometimes I knock them against something and freak myself out ... but I'm as or more likely to have that happen when I'm doing something innocent! So, I insure my pieces and I check them semi-regularly (say, once or twice a week), and I'm good to go. Even my jeweler remarks on in what good condition I keep my rings (and this as he's repairing unrelated things like the stones spinning, mind you).

Even I would probably take them off at the gym, and put them on a chain around my neck or in a zipped pocket somewhere on me. No way would I leave them in a locker ... those things just get broken into a little too often for my comfort.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I work out 6 if not 7 days a week, in the middle of the day on weekdays. I do have a padlocked locker at the gym. If I did not wear it on the days I work out I would never wear it at all. Lol! So I'm gonna try putting it in the padding area for lulu lemon tops, know what I mean? I don't feel comfortable leaving it in my locker bc the gym in my work location is super busy and I don't think it's safe. On weekends, it's at at home while I run outside. Yeah, I admit I was a bit freaked when the barbell landed on my sternum and my diamond was right there. Luckily there was some give since it was against flesh. I get paranoid at my office because someone stole my desk laptop at my office before. And there are demonstrations around our building so at least 5 times a year the police blockade the front. You never know with my building. There are consulates of some politically sensitive countries housed in our building. Don't know how else to put that.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a very large safety pin and I pin my rings to my sports bra. No problem, no bouncing.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
liaerfbv|1390595619|3600519 said:
I bought a very large safety pin and I pin my rings to my sports bra. No problem, no bouncing.
use some shrink wrap tubing on the pin and it would be even better.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJ - I wear my rings 24/7 & they do take some hammer. My eternity has had to be re-shaped & have claws tightened 3 times in 3 years. Listen to advice & make your own decisions. BUT... I can share my experience of dropping my original pressure set princess cut engagement ring on to a slate floor: a diamond completely cracked in half. The insurance company wouldn't repair it because they stated the setting was not suitable for everyday wear. Do not drop your ring on to a slate floor :errrr:

But my theory is that my beautiful rings are far safer on my finger all of the time. I just ensure they get a "service" every 6 months at my jewelers to keep them secure & healthy, plus I pop in as I did today if ever something is concerning me (which turned out to be fine).

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Karl_K|1390597670|3600553 said:
use some shrink wrap tubing on the pin and it would be even better.

This is why I decided against the safety pin. But Saran Wrap is a very clever idea!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1390546379|3600094 said:
ETA: come to think of it, they should just make sports bras with a tiny pocket right there just for this purpose. Hmm. Ok, someone steal my idea but I want compensation. :naughty:

My old trainer has a 5+ carat MRB in a halo ( :-o :love: :love: <--- this is how I looked every time I saw it - HA!) -- GOD, IT WAS MASSIVE!!

Anyway, I digress... :bigsmile: She always wore something similar to this, except it had a zipper pocket in the front (in between "the girls" and one on the back (she used it for her access card and money). She was super paranoid about not having it on her person, but didn't want to damage it either:

http://www.joeybra.com/sport/joeybra-sport.htm

I'll keep looking for more...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

This would definitely work!! Good Idea! You could pin it in the front or near the armpit (both on the inside...) :))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1390605238|3600631 said:
ETA: come to think of it, they should just make sports bras with a tiny pocket right there just for this purpose. Hmm. Ok, someone steal my idea but I want compensation. :naughty:

My old trainer has a 5+ carat MRB in a halo ( :-o :love: :love: <--- this is how I looked every time I saw it - HA!) -- GOD, IT WAS MASSIVE!!

Anyway, I digress... :bigsmile: She always wore something similar to this, except it had a zipper pocket in the front (in between "the girls" and one on the back (she used it for her access card and money). She was super paranoid about not having it on her person, but didn't want to damage it either:

msop04, you are a stitch! LOL about the expression on your face when you looked at your old trainer's giant diamond!
I figured someone had already come up with some brilliant solution like that bra! Thanks for posting that link.

The large safety pin is a great solution as well!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1390607831|3600661 said:
msop04, you are a stitch! LOL about the expression on your face when you looked at your old trainer's giant diamond!
I figured someone had already come up with some brilliant solution like that bra! Thanks for posting that link.

The large safety pin is a great solution as well!

HA! No problem! I think I may get one too -- ya know... for those 5 times a month I frequent the gym. Or for ERRANDS!! When I run errands! :???: :lol: 8-)

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
You need a rack trap. I love mine. I was always shoving things down my bra when I had no pockets. Get the sport one, its sweat proof and has a velcro seal. Comfy and safe. Just tuck it on the side of your boob by your arm.
http://www.theracktrap.com/

_14069.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JaneSmith|1390609631|3600672 said:
You need a rack trap. I love mine. I was always shoving things down my bra when I had no pockets. Get the sport one, its sweat proof and has a velcro seal. Comfy and safe. Just tuck it on the side of your boob by your arm.

OMG, that's hilarious! There's really such a product?!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Jane, that is an amazing idea. I could use that when I'm not running. There would be chaffing if I ran with it. Definitely worth checking out.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
msop04|1390605238|3600631 said:

MSOP04, thanks so much. I would definitely consider that. I think that could work when doing weights. I would be worried there would be chaffing when running, but still a great idea. I will see if my plan to stick it in the padding area of lululemon tops would work. Will let you all know.

And a front zip I think is a better place than the side. Wow, even a personal trainer can manage a 5 carat in a halo? I should be able to make this work.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the great tips and for the tough love.

Ame, are you ok?? Sorry, didn't mean to give you a heart attack. ;-)

Yes, I do realize how serious you all are. I am going to try to improve. My rings are off already, and I didn't wash dishes with my ering tonight. I will not allow the ring to clink onto the stone floors anymore.

I will take it for a check up soon. :)

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I don't wear my eternity back d to work out in but I do wear my solitaire. I run many miles and I'm not afraid of it getting damaged while running. I have also dropped it on my slate floor twice and held my breath both times. So far no damage but it is scary.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lknvrb4|1390651219|3600920 said:
I don't wear my eternity back d to work out in but I do wear my solitaire. I run many miles and I'm not afraid of it getting damaged while running. I have also dropped it on my slate floor twice and held my breath both times. So far no damage but it is scary.

Lknvrb4, we need to form a support group. Lol! Glad it's been safe so far. You don't happen to live in northern CA do you? SF AREA? Would be lots of fun to run with a PSer.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The safety pin is a great idea! I have to remember that one in case I can't leave my rings in the locker.

Btw, I could never understand keeping stuff like phone or money in the bra. Doesn't it poke and shift around? Maybe I don't have enough cushioning there :lol:.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hah! That's genius!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I'm pretty sure that you knew your answer even before you posted your thread. Just because your rings are made of "strong" materials, doesn't mean that they can't be damaged. Repeated trauma can obviously cause damage. I wear my rings pretty much 24/7, but I'm not banging them around all the time, so I guess that I can't relate.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Safety pinned inside the bra between the boobs is a great plan. Or locked in your desk at work. But I do want to echo that you are courting trouble wearing it all the time, especially such a large diamond with other large side stones in a high stance ring with ony 4 prong! I take my ring off the shower, work out, wash dishes, or do any work involving gripping with my hands!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
My glove box and center console both lock in my car, and then obviously I can lock my car as well. Is this not an option for you? I really like the safety pin idea, except, I've actually had to safety pin my bra once, it had a front closure and the pin actually bent and came undone. Of course I realized it right away when I was 'poked' repeatedly, and suddenly felt 'free'....but who knows where my rings would have ended up had I pinned them and not noticed right away. BUT, like the others mentioned...that's why we carry insurance, and the risk is likely much smaller than wearing them the way you are right now. Hope you find a perfect solution, your rings are delicious :love: and I'd hate for anything to happen to them!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Christina...|1390689215|3601138 said:
My glove box and center console both lock in my car, and then obviously I can lock my car as well. Is this not an option for you? I really like the safety pin idea, except, I've actually had to safety pin my bra once, it had a front closure and the pin actually bent and came undone. Of course I realized it right away when I was 'poked' repeatedly, and suddenly felt 'free'....but who knows where my rings would have ended up had I pinned them and not noticed right away. BUT, like the others mentioned...that's why we carry insurance, and the risk is likely much smaller than wearing them the way you are right now. Hope you find a perfect solution, your rings are delicious :love: and I'd hate for anything to happen to them!!

Christina, I go directly from my office to the gym, so the car is not an option. Thanks for thinking about it though. I may try the safety pin idea, but it would be obvious. Still, better than losing or damaging right?

Today I went out and bought great workout pants that had FRONT zip pockets!! So hard to find. But these are really cool, so I can definitely wear these during a weight class, and not worry about crushing it since most pants have pockets in back. I am really excited about these.

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
baby monster|1390675790|3601045 said:
The safety pin is a great idea! I have to remember that one in case I can't leave my rings in the locker.

Btw, I could never understand keeping stuff like phone or money in the bra. Doesn't it poke and shift around? Maybe I don't have enough cushioning there :lol:.
I never put stuff in my bra for the whole day. That would be horribly uncomfortable! It is a short term solution to no pockets. :))

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I'm one of the few dissenters. I wear my rings everywhere - when I play sports, wash dishes, work, sleep. I keep a close eye on the stones and settings and have infrequent repairs as needed. I never cracked a stone. I've seen danger from removing rings. Not long ago, I found a diamond ring in the bathroom of an athletic club. People misplace and drop things a lot.

At home, I'm careful not to bang rings on the edge of my granite counter top.

When I play sports, I like wearing my rings as I enjoy looking at them during the slow times such as when my partner is retrieving a ball.

Farleysmom

Brilliant_Rock
I thought these were a neat idea. They're called Curves Stash and Go.

img_00001421.jpg

img_00001422.jpg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Farleysmom|1390775325|3601676 said:
I thought these were a neat idea. They're called Curves Stash and Go.

These are a very clever idea. :) Thanks Farleysmom.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1390684060|3601097 said:
Safety pinned inside the bra between the boobs is a great plan. Or locked in your desk at work. But I do want to echo that you are courting trouble wearing it all the time, especially such a large diamond with other large side stones in a high stance ring with ony 4 prong! I take my ring off the shower, work out, wash dishes, or do any work involving gripping with my hands!

Thanks Dreamer. Safety pinned between the girls is a great idea. Just need bigger girls, I think. lol!!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
baby monster|1390675790|3601045 said:

Yes, me two. Nursing two kids --> little cushioning to zero cushioning... lol!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results