shape
carat
color
clarity

Awkward Elevator moments

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you experience any? If so please share. I have them every time I get in one, from who''s going in first to who''s pushing the button... ugg- or maybe its anxiety.

meresal

Ideal_Rock
The elevators in our building are the black marble stuff on the sides and back (it's very reflective) and mirrors on the back of the sliding doors. I hate when people stare at other people using the walls. They ALL do it. I always pull my phone or Ipod out before I get on, so I have something to look at, if it's too packed I just stare at my shoes.

ETA: Unless it's the person that just got on to go up or down one floor. Then I'll stare at the back of their head until I can see thru it.
11.gif

Bia

Ideal_Rock
At school I don''t have anxiety over pushing floors because If I''m closest, I''ll just say, "what floor?"

At home, pushing floors is easy because I know where everyone lives in my building. BUT, because I live in a pre-war building, our elevator is not only small, it''s slow, and that means you have to make some type of conversation. You can''t just stand at your sides and ignore. I''ll usually comment on the weather. I know, creative.
20.gif
If it''s a friendly neighbor we''ll chit-chat but other than that, it''s the weather. Especially with the old biddies in my building who never do anything but complain.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Awkward elevator moments? I''ve never been in a really high building with many dozens of floors, so I haven''t been on one long enough to get weirded out by someone else, I guess.

Awkward would be the other person (or moi) having a ''gas incident''. Top or bottom.
9.gif

Awkward would be having to tell the guy next to you that his fly is unzipped. And then trying to act normal.
3.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:31:54 PM
Author: meresal

ETA: Unless it''s the person that just got on to go up or down one floor. Then I''ll stare at the back of their head until I can see thru it.
11.gif
I HATE that! We actually have an unspoken company rule that you''re not supposed to take the elevator unless it''s more than 2 floors. If you can''t do that many stairs, you have issues...

(obviously injuries etc don''t count)

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I have two main issues I can think of:

1. B.O. Good grief why can't people use a deodorant or anit-perspirant. They are cheap!!!!
2. Taking up too much space. Shopping/luggage can be stepped over by it's owner and should not take up it's own space. If it falls over it should be picked up.

29.gif

Ooooh here is #3 before I even hit submit. Kids pressing all the buttons before I get in. Agggh.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
I work in a building with 6 floors plus 2 basement floors. It's old, but not too slow. I just don't like making random conversation with complete strangers for 10 seconds, and there's not that many people here, so usually it's just me and someone else. And usually we're just staring at the floor numbers to watch when we get to our destination. Hehe, used to be awkward, but now I just play on my phone or watch the numbers. I find it's only awkward if I feel awkward. So I make a point to not feel that way and just act like I'm in my own little thought world
9.gif
, it's usually fine.

My biggest awkward moment has definitely been a month or two ago when it was pouring outside. I have to walk many blocks from my parking lot to the building, so I bought rain boots a long time ago so my pants wouldn't be soaked. It's not for looks, it's for function. So I got on the elevator at the bottom, with my frizzy hair, my cheeks red from walking, my dripping umbrella, and my black and colored polka dotted rainboots. Right as the doors opened to get on, by very high up boss (nice man, but I don't see him much) came out of a room and got on with me. I smiled and said hi. He just said hi, but was grinning so big as he saw me. I felt so foolish, haha. I was definitely a wet squeaky mess. We just carried on conversation about the rain...
20.gif
Then when you get off on our floor, you have to walk through some doors and down another long hallway before we split ways. Definitely awkward... to walk together, or just walk ahead of him... "ok, have a nice day..." "you too..."
37.gif

My biggest pet peeve / annoying moments in elevators are when people get on from the bottom floor who have been outside smoking. Then it's awkward as I try to hold my breath or breathe through my sleeve. Or when it comes up to the top floor to get me and I can smell the stench left over from someone else who got off below. I'm really sensitive to smoke, so it's no fault, it just grosses me out. But body odor, on the other hand, is unexcusable, in my book.
14.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 1:51:35 PM
Author: luvthemstrawberries
I work in a building with 6 floors plus 2 basement floors. It''s old, but not too slow. I just don''t like making random conversation with complete strangers for 10 seconds, and there''s not that many people here, so usually it''s just me and someone else. And usually we''re just staring at the floor numbers to watch when we get to our destination. Hehe, used to be awkward, but now I just play on my phone or watch the numbers. I find it''s only awkward if I feel awkward. So I make a point to not feel that way and just act like I''m in my own little thought world
9.gif
, it''s usually fine.

My biggest awkward moment has definitely been a month or two ago when it was pouring outside. I have to walk many blocks from my parking lot to the building, so I bought rain boots a long time ago so my pants wouldn''t be soaked. It''s not for looks, it''s for function. So I got on the elevator at the bottom, with my frizzy hair, my cheeks red from walking, my dripping umbrella, and my black and colored polka dotted rainboots. Right as the doors opened to get on, by very high up boss (nice man, but I don''t see him much) came out of a room and got on with me. I smiled and said hi. He just said hi, but was grinning so big as he saw me. I felt so foolish, haha. I was definitely a wet squeaky mess. We just carried on conversation about the rain...
20.gif
Then when you get off on our floor, you have to walk through some doors and down another long hallway before we split ways. Definitely awkward... to walk together, or just walk ahead of him... ''ok, have a nice day...'' ''you too...''
37.gif

My biggest pet peeve / annoying moments in elevators are when people get on from the bottom floor who have been outside smoking. Then it''s awkward as I try to hold my breath or breathe through my sleeve. Or when it comes up to the top floor to get me and I can smell the stench left over from someone else who got off below. I''m really sensitive to smoke, so it''s no fault, it just grosses me out. But body odor, on the other hand, is unexcusable, in my book.
14.gif
Yep been there done that too...
40.gif
seriously awkward.

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock

My biggest pet peeve / annoying moments in elevators are when people get on from the bottom floor who have been outside smoking. Then it''s awkward as I try to hold my breath or breathe through my sleeve. Or when it comes up to the top floor to get me and I can smell the stench left over from someone else who got off below. I''m really sensitive to smoke, so it''s no fault, it just grosses me out. But body odor, on the other hand, is unexcusable, in my book.
14.gif
Ewwww I hate the smoking thing! They call it 3rd hand smoke now.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 2:22:04 PM
Author: sunnyd

14.gif
Huh, I haven''t heart that yet. Interesting.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/18/2009 2:22:04 PM

14.gif

Really? That reminds me of a Connie Willis book, The Bellwether, in which people talk about second-hand second-hand smoke .... (But CW writes social parodies, so ... yeah.) Last I heard according to the WHO studies, even second-hand smoke didn''t have the potential to hurt non-smokers, unless one was, say, a bartender in a crowded, smokey bar who was breathing it in 24/7 (and even then, results were dubious), so barring serious allergies, third-hand-smoke is probably just a nasty smell, and not a health hazard. Do not be afraid!

Elevator etiquette is so weird - someone I know was just mentioning a short they''d seen *on an elevator TV* that asked, "Are You Approachable in Elevators?" All I could think was, who *wants* to be approachable in elevators? It''s the perfect time to practice your eye-contact aversion and pretend to be completely alone!

Erin

Ideal_Rock
Daley Center elevator. Two people who haven''t seen each other for a while say Hey, wow it''s been a while. Yeah, yeah, good, great, fantastic. The man says to the woman, "So how far along are you?" ............................... Oh, I''m not pregnant.
..................................................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................... 13 people on the elevator are silent for four more floors.

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I''m from NYC. Grew up in a high rise and now live on the 17th floor of a 35 story building.

I have to honestly say I''ve never had a weird elevator moment and i take it it at least 4 times a day.
Neither has my husband (called and asked him.)

This topic is pretty funny to me as it''s so the norm here, that I don''t think the natives ever think of it.
I know I didn''t until I saw this thread
9.gif

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 2:57:06 PM
Author: Starset Princess
Daley Center elevator. Two people who haven''t seen each other for a while say Hey, wow it''s been a while. Yeah, yeah, good, great, fantastic. The man says to the woman, ''So how far along are you?'' ............................... Oh, I''m not pregnant.
..................................................................................................................................................................................
............................................................................... 13 people on the elevator are silent for four more floors.
lol.. I stay away from the pregnant comment unless I hear them talking about it... after an incident a while back.. never do I ask that question.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just last weekend I was in an elevator with a few people who were speaking a language that I didn't recognize. I thought it sounded beautiful and was enjoying just listening to them speak, until I started to realize they were talking about me. Talk about awkward. Man, I wish I could have understood what they were saying...

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
lol reminds me....

I was like 6 or 7 and in thing to do was if you tooted to wave it around and say.. just improving the smell in here.

now it was an elevator at a doctors office during the day with a ton of old people in it.

Well you get the picture....

I think my mom wanted to crawl under the floor.... lol

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 3:42:55 PM
Author: strmrdr
lol reminds me....

I was like 6 or 7 and in thing to do was if you tooted to wave it around and say.. just improving the smell in here.

now it was an elevator at a doctors office during the day with a ton of old people in it.

KARL OMG! Shame on you!

...but LMFAO!

princesss

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 1:43:33 PM

ETA: Unless it''s the person that just got on to go up or down one floor. Then I''ll stare at the back of their head until I can see thru it.
11.gif
I HATE that! We actually have an unspoken company rule that you''re not supposed to take the elevator unless it''s more than 2 floors. If you can''t do that many stairs, you have issues...

I''m totally a one floor rider, lol. Rarely, but if I worked out so hard the day before (like doing the 30DS yesterday) and I can barely walk, I take the elevator and I enjoy it. My building is 4 stories, so there is no reason to ever take an elevator unless you have crazy bags, are injured, have a medical condition, or justify it to yourself because you worked out oh-so-hard, lol.

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 3:53:08 PM
Author: princesss

Date: 5/18/2009 1:43:33 PM

11.gif

I''m totally a one floor rider, lol. Rarely, but if I worked out so hard the day before (like doing the 30DS yesterday) and I can barely walk, I take the elevator and I enjoy it. My building is 4 stories, so there is no reason to ever take an elevator unless you have crazy bags, are injured, have a medical condition, or justify it to yourself because you worked out oh-so-hard, lol.
Ditto!! i think it also makes a difference though when your building is only a few floors. If you have to stop every floor for a 40 floor building... ANNOYING. But stopping at 3 and 2 on your way to 1 from 4 isn''t that big of a deal.

luvthemstrawberries

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 2:46:12 PM
Author: Circe

Really? That reminds me of a Connie Willis book, The Bellwether, in which people talk about second-hand second-hand smoke .... (But CW writes social parodies, so ... yeah.) Last I heard according to the WHO studies, even second-hand smoke didn''t have the potential to hurt non-smokers, unless one was, say, a bartender in a crowded, smokey bar who was breathing it in 24/7 (and even then, results were dubious), so barring serious allergies, third-hand-smoke is probably just a nasty smell, and not a health hazard. Do not be afraid!

Elevator etiquette is so weird - someone I know was just mentioning a short they''d seen *on an elevator TV* that asked, ''Are You Approachable in Elevators?'' All I could think was, who *wants* to be approachable in elevators? It''s the perfect time to practice your eye-contact aversion and pretend to be completely alone!
Hehe this is exactly what I was trying to say that I do.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/18/2009 3:47:48 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 5/18/2009 3:42:55 PM

lol reminds me....

KARL OMG! Shame on you!

...but LMFAO!
Well I was only 6 or 7 but I could see myself doing that now!
lol
Will have to remember it in case I accidentally pass one in an elevator

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/18/2009 11:09:08 PM

Well I was only 6 or 7 but I could see myself doing that now!
lol
Will have to remember it in case I accidentally pass one in an elevator
then you just point to the lady standing next to you and say....she did it!!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband''s grandmother was in the hospital and we''d go up after supper every day. Every time the elevator door closed he''d mess around and put his hands around my neck and pretend to choke me (his hands are so big they don''t even touch my neck). He''d keep that up until the elevator would stop then quit and act like Mr. Innocent. After a few weeks of this he was out of town and I went up there to see her by myself. I get in the elevator with this really creepy looking guy and boy did I have angst when the elevator door closed. I could see this guy trying to choke me. I told my husband thanks for putting those thoughts in my head.

AdiS

Brilliant_Rock
The elevators in our building are the black marble stuff on the sides and back (it''s very reflective) and mirrors on the back of the sliding doors. I hate when people stare at other people using the walls. They ALL do it. I always pull my phone or Ipod out before I get on, so I have something to look at, if it''s too packed I just stare at my shoes.

11.gif
Same here. I hate it! Hello, I can see you staring at me, you''re not the only one who can use the magical reflective powers of the elevator
20.gif

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had one years ago when I worked in an insurance company. As I was only part-time I never knew when new staff were starting so I got into the elevator and there was a girl standing there so I said hi and pressed the button. About half way up to the top floor, she turns to me and says "did you know I was raped when I was 13 and held a dying woman in my arms?". I was standing there going WTF! Turns out she was one of the new girls but I thought that I was being stuck with some looney in the lift! What are you meant to say to someone that says that to you.

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
On our wedding night, we stayed at the Westin Peachtree Atlanta, which is something like 73 floors, and they upgraded our room to the Presidential Suite, so we were almost at the very top of the hotel. Apparently, the weekend we got married, Atlanta had some sporting event or convention or something going on because there were about 150 drunk people roaming around the hotel when we got there at 3 am, and we spent the entire elevator ride up to our suite answering questions from a group of very drunk and very hungry girls about what we had in the takeout boxes our wedding caterer had packed up for us. DH and I still quote the one elevator girl sometimes joking around, so our version of "Do you want to get something to eat?" is"Guuuuuuuuuurl, I''m hongry like a hostage? Can i have summadat? It smell so goooooooood MMH!" It was funny at first, but with an elevator ride that long, we were starting to fear getting mauled for our wedding cake!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 3:32:00 AM
Author: bee*
I had one years ago when I worked in an insurance company. As I was only part-time I never knew when new staff were starting so I got into the elevator and there was a girl standing there so I said hi and pressed the button. About half way up to the top floor, she turns to me and says ''did you know I was raped when I was 13 and held a dying woman in my arms?''. I was standing there going WTF! Turns out she was one of the new girls but I thought that I was being stuck with some looney in the lift! What are you meant to say to someone that says that to you.
Even if she was one of the new girls, sounds like she still is a looney! Who says something like that to a person they do not know? That''s happened to me before and (for me) it''s difficult to be sympathetic when being dumped on in a blindsided manner.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/19/2009 4:46:41 AM
Author: doodle
On our wedding night, we stayed at the Westin Peachtree Atlanta, which is something like 73 floors, and they upgraded our room to the Presidential Suite, so we were almost at the very top of the hotel. Apparently, the weekend we got married, Atlanta had some sporting event or convention or something going on because there were about 150 drunk people roaming around the hotel when we got there at 3 am, and we spent the entire elevator ride up to our suite answering questions from a group of very drunk and very hungry girls about what we had in the takeout boxes our wedding caterer had packed up for us. DH and I still quote the one elevator girl sometimes joking around, so our version of ''Do you want to get something to eat?'' is''Guuuuuuuuuurl, I''m hongry like a hostage? Can i have summadat? It smell so goooooooood MMH!'' It was funny at first, but with an elevator ride that long, we were starting to fear getting mauled for our wedding cake!

LMFAO!
Oh that is seriously hilarious. I would sooo have wafted the smell in their direction lol.

chiapet

Brilliant_Rock
I made the mistake of dating a guy who lives in my building. He''s on the 27th floor, I''m on the 35th floor. We had a weird break-up so now when we happen to be in the elevator at the same time, we''re both soooo awkward! We avoid eye contact and try to make small talk that''s on neutral subjects. It doesn''t help that my elevator is super-slow. Moral of the story: don''t date a guy who lives in the same building.
17.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results