shape
carat
color
clarity

Authentic Chicken Enchilada Ring Recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
This could be a shot in the dark...Does anyone have an authentic (i.e. no crescent rolls involved) chicken enchilada ring recipe?

We had a meeting with the president of our organization on Tuesday, and it was catered by the president''s neighbor. At first, I thought it an odd looking dish. It was essentially a chicken stuffed bundt cake, but the cake was a type of cormeal/maize breading. The stuffing seemed to be a combination of shredded chicken, tomato sauce, green chiles, Mexican seasonings, and a sprinkling of corn. I figure I could replicate that reasonably well, but I''m stumped about the cornmeal/maize cake part. It was absolutely delicious. I took some home, and gave some to my mom. She too was skeptical about it''s appearance: chicken bundt cake. But she LOVED it.
18.gif

Anyone have any idea what I''m talking about? If so, do you have a recipe you''d like to share?

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
can''t you just use corn bread? Make a batch, pour it in the bundt/loaf pan, add chicken mix, and top with more cornbread batter.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I never heard of it, but I love Mexican food and this sounds absolutely delicious
18.gif
18.gif
18.gif

ice-queen

Shiny_Rock
Sounds delish! But this dish sounds like it is based more on a tamale than an enchilada. A tamale is basically a corn meal dough (masa) with various fillings that is steamed in a corn husk. What you are describing essentially sounds to me like a giant ring-shaped tamale (minus the steaming in a corn husk aspect). So…I would try using an “instant corn masa mix” (found in the Mexican or Latin section of the supermarket).

jcarlylew

Ideal_Rock
and here i thought this was another form of engagement chicken..
20.gif

although the recipe sounds delish!!
18.gif

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, Hudson. I had thought about corn bread, but the texture, color and flavor wouldn''t quite match what I had on Tuesday. I do love corn bread though. It would probably be a really good substitute if I am not able to come up with a closer match.

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/4/2009 11:06:33 PM
Author: ice-queen
Sounds delish! But this dish sounds like it is based more on a tamale than an enchilada. A tamale is basically a corn meal dough (masa) with various fillings that is steamed in a corn husk. What you are describing essentially sounds to me like a giant ring-shaped tamale (minus the steaming in a corn husk aspect). So…I would try using an “instant corn masa mix” (found in the Mexican or Latin section of the supermarket).

That sounds perfect, ice-queen! I hadn''t even thought about the dough as resembling that from a tamale, but now that you mention it, it sounds right on! Thanks so much. I''m going to run out this weekend and try to find some instant corn masa mix! Chicken TAMALE ring for everyone!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/5/2009 7:26:39 AM
Author: jcarlylew
and here i thought this was another form of engagement chicken..
20.gif

although the recipe sounds delish!!
18.gif

So sorry to disappoint, JC. However, I already think this dish could have some magical/engagement properties. It''s so unique and tasty. My bf and I are planning engagement in the fall. Maybe I''ll make this for him mid-summer and see if it speeds things up at all.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results