carat
color
clarity

Attractive bins/containers

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi...

We have a "problem" :bigsmile: with clothes ending in piles on top of of our dressers...both clean clothes (hate putting away laundry :sick:) and clothes that we take off and for whatever reason don't go in the hamper or don't get hung up (jeans, etc.)

I was thinking of getting some attractive trays/bins to at least make it look better since we're probably not going to change habits any time soon...

Does anybody have/use bins/containers to hold their "interim" clothes? Or use something else that works well?
Do you know where I can get attractive looking bins that would look good being displayed?

Thanks! :)

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
Home goods, home goods, or home goods :twirl:

If you don't have one in your area, The Container Store would have some, and I'm sure others will have suggestions too. I know what you mean by needing places to put clothes. We had clothes everywhere until I happened upon a 3 section laundry sorter at Costco about a year ago.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
NewShiny,

I love Home Goods! ::) But one thing I don't like is that it's often hard to find say, 4 matching containers...

I could look of course...

I don't have any Container Stores near me...and I hate their shipping charges, but you're right, they do have nice stuff...

I guess I was hoping for maybe some uncommon places to find really nice bins...maybe I could look in Ballards, too...

NewShiny

Shiny_Rock
I do know of several uncommon places you might find them but they are all local-type stores in my area. Sorry I can't be of more help. I love looking for stuff like this. Ballard is another good idea. You might also try west elm, frontgate, or Garnet Hill. Good luck!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm. If you hate putting away your laundry what's to say you'll actually put your stuff in bins?

I hate putting away laundry when I let things go to the point I get overwhelmed. I used to wait to do several loads at once (usually weekends) and it would take like the WHOLE day. Now I do at least one load per day and keep up with the entire thing start to finish, including putting it all away whether than means hanging in a closet or folding and placing in dresser drawers. I have a separate lingerie chest (it's like a narrow 6 drawer tower) from my dresser that is part of our bedroom suite, and that helps tremendously with socks and undies and bras.

My off-season clothing goes into white plastic bins with lids and they are stacked in the back of my closet. I could leave everything hanging year round, but it tends to get dusty in there and I also don't have enough hangers. I like for all my hangers to match (they're all wooden), and I colorize everything so it looks nice visually and that motivates me to keep it organized.

mogster

Shiny_Rock
How about lined wicker baskets? They're available everywhere and you could have different sized/colored/textured ones without looking like they are mismatched.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about wicker baskets? They're more attractive than plastic bins and they might help do the trick.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1390943366|3602839 said:
Hmm. If you hate putting away your laundry what's to say you'll actually put your stuff in bins?

You're not supposed to ask me stuff like this I just want the bins OK? :lol:

You're right.

But I actually think I would do it. I think that if it's within arm's reach and it's just a dropping motion (rather than say, taking off a lid) I will do it. I usually get a "feeling" for systems that could work for me. I just have never found a pair of containers that I would feel good about displaying in the bedroom.

I do laundry a few times a week, but no matter how little I have to put away I absolutely hate doing it. :???:

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Zoe and Mogster.

I thought about wicker...but I'm thinking it may look too casual...I want it to look really "put together."

I actually was even thinking like a wood...but I'd be concerned that they would scratch the wood dresser...

I am envisioning something kind of sophisticated and pretty looking...maybe even a fabric...not sure.

I'm just realizing, maybe Pier 1 Imports? They sometimes have really pretty trays...I have one in my kitchen to hold my pocketbook...but that one would be too shallow for clothing...

amc80

Ideal_Rock
Oh good, someone else who has piles of both clean and dirty laundry. I hate putting laundry away. Looking forward to suggestions!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find I just need to suck it up and put in one or the other, dirty or clean. Otherwise the in-between pile gets toooo scary...

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1390944602|3602855 said:
monarch64|1390943366|3602839 said:

You're not supposed to ask me stuff like this I just want the bins OK? :lol:

You're right.

But I actually think I would do it. I think that if it's within arm's reach and it's just a dropping motion (rather than say, taking off a lid) I will do it. I usually get a "feeling" for systems that could work for me. I just have never found a pair of containers that I would feel good about displaying in the bedroom.

I do laundry a few times a week, but no matter how little I have to put away I absolutely hate doing it. :???:

LOL! I know, sorry! I like your Pier One idea, I almost always find something perfect there no matter what I'm looking for.

sweet_blossom

Shiny_Rock
Hi CJ2008, I know you said maybe not wicker, but just in case you change your mind. I saw the Ikea BYHOLMA Chest on Tell It To Your Neighbor--so I don't know what they look like in person. The chest comes in grey or brown for $59.99 and available online. And here is a picture of them in a bedroom. You could keep the lid open to drop in clothes and close the lid when you want it to look neat or company comes over. You could do two (or try one to see if this is a solution and put a divider in there)--one for clean clothes and the other for interim clothes. They could go along an empty wall (lean the lid open on the wall) or at the end of the bed (if the lid isn't kept open).

storage.jpg

coolers_inside_basket.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Monarch - yes, I always find something cute at Pier One...I haven't gone yet, I've been sick, but I will.

LLJsmom - yes, I can't tell you how many times I've just thrown clothes back into the hamper so as to avoid the in-between pile from getting too scary.

Then again, lately, I really DO wash my shirts after every single wear, even if I only wore them for a few hours. I've become so sensitive to clothes that don't smell fresh. And to smelling not fresh clothes on others. :knockout:

amc80 - one of my least favorite jobs (nothing beats my hate for doing the floors ::)

sweet_blossom - thank you! The gray wicker may not be too bad, it may look a little less casual than the brown...but more important is the idea of a bench/chest...so I can also keep my eyes open for something that may "fit" and that may be easier to find what I'm looking for more than in a tray.

PetitiePoire

Shiny_Rock
CJ2008|1390928056|3602726 said:
Hi...

We have a "problem" :bigsmile: with clothes ending in piles on top of of our dressers...both clean clothes (hate putting away laundry :sick:) and clothes that we take off and for whatever reason don't go in the hamper or don't get hung up (jeans, etc.)

I was thinking of getting some attractive trays/bins to at least make it look better since we're probably not going to change habits any time soon...

Does anybody have/use bins/containers to hold their "interim" clothes? Or use something else that works well?
Do you know where I can get attractive looking bins that would look good being displayed?

Thanks! :)

This is my favorite way to put away clothes! Unfortunately, DH strongly disagrees. Anytime I've had a walk in closet, I would just put storage bins (large ones from target) along the wall and "sort" that way. It's definitely not a very attractive way, but I love being able to just throw each item in it's bin. Most of my clothes are wrinkle free, so I'm not concerned with that... I really hate folding and/or hanging things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results