shape
carat
color
clarity

Ask haircutter if she could "handle" a particular cut? :/

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've been going to the same salon for a few years...

My normal haircutter left, and I ended up using the girl who does my color for my haircuts too.

But they've all been trims, pretty much...

They've all been just fine, but I get the sense she's not as confident cutting hair as she is with color. This is just my perception.

I think I want to get a bob - I'm picturing one side a bit longer than the other, a little higher in the back than in the front, softly layered all around, and maybe (not sure about this) some long sideswept bangs.

Not sure if this would be considered a "complicated" cut - but I was thinking of somehow asking her if she feels comfortable doing this cut...I want to make sure I get a decent haircut and I tend to be straightforward but I also try to be tactful...

What are some ways I can ask her this in least insulting or threatening way possible? Any ideas? (or maybe this is an easy cut?)

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Ask haircutter if she could "handle" a particular cut? :

Not to scare you, but I got a Bob that was supposed to be pretty similar to what you suggested. The woman was okay but apparently not up to it. Ended up way short in back and super uneven. Big mess. Had to go elsewhere to have it corrected and ended up with hair sort of like someone stuck a bowl on my head :nono:

If she doesn't seem comfortable just find someone else. Don't even bother to ask.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That's a delicate situation and I'm with Too Patient. Don't even ask. I made the mistake of asking my hairdresser if he could do curly hair as he had been cutting my hair and blowing it straight for well over a decade (going to him over 20 years but just wearing it (naturally) curly for over 10 years now) and I had not been wearing it that way when I do it myself. Yeah I'm slow to change lol because I kept going to him (and still do) despite the fact he really couldn't cut my hair curly. He tried after I asked him (he said he could) and well it never turns out right. He has to blow it straight first and then curl it which makes no sense as my hair is curly and when he does it like that it is more wavy which is nice but I just want him to be able to cut it curly. Anyway sorry about the long explanation just to say don't bother asking. Find someone who has a similar haircut and similar hair texture and ask for their hairdressers info. Best way to do it IMO.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also wouldn't directly ask. You can ask to see examples of cuts she's done in the past of a similar cut, or you can call the salon and ask the receptionist. They aren't always the most knowledgeable, but if he/she has been there for a while, you can ask if any of the stylists have done this sort of cut and who they might recommend. That will lead you in a direction, but be sure to vet them by looking at past work (in case of favourtism or something).

I found my favourite (though most expensive) stylist by doing what Missy said. I was at work one day in retail, and saw a girl with the most beautiful hair and asked her where she got it done. She gave me the card of the gal and I went. I've stopped going for my regular cuts there as she is so expensive ($80 for just a cut! It was almost $400 for highlights), but for special occasions I still go to her.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Agreed. This is not an easy cut. I had this hair style for almost 8 years and looks amazing with good dimensional color when cut right. My SIL is a corporate stylist trainer for a national hair salon chain and a lot of stylists are just not that capable. She has even complained of ones that are unable to dampen the hair with a spray bottle and comb at the same time.

I also had a co worker ask for this haircut a few years ago and end up looking like Kate from "Jon and Kate plus 8" very short and spiky all the way to the crown. That ok, if that's what you are looking for but that is not a bob, stacked or otherwise.

Personally, if you feel uncomfortable , I wouldn't do it. My best suggestion I to ask around for recommendations, especially from people who have a cut that is similar to what you are looking for, or at least have a cut that looks more complex.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

Can you share an image similar to what you are looking for?

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OK good points everyone.

This brings up another dilemma though (since I already have someone in mind to do the haircut - he's just like 40 minutes away (rather than around the corner) but I want to try him precisely because he cuts this girl's hair and like her haircuts).

What do I say when I go back to her for color and she sees I clearly got my haircut somewhere else? :sick:

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

I've never said anything when I've gone to someone else to get my hair done and then gone back later to the person I was seeing before. And in small town Iowa-I'm more apt to see them at the store probably *right* after getting my hair done which is a bit uncomfortable, I figure it's business, right? Maybe there will be someone in the other salon that does color you like and then you won't need to go back. ;-)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you return to her because you love the way she does your color you don't need to say anything to her. I know it's hard but anything you might say will just sound like an excuse which it is. As packrat wrote it is business and not personal. Don't make it more uncomfortable by coming up with any excuses which she will clearly see through. She will appreciate you coming to see her for the color at least and that you have enough respect for her not to make up any stories.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

A 40 minute drive is well worth a good haircut IMO! And as the others said, if you return to her for colour, don't mention it.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock

CJ2008|1426872468|3850117 said:
OK good points everyone.

This brings up another dilemma though (since I already have someone in mind to do the haircut - he's just like 40 minutes away (rather than around the corner) but I want to try him precisely because he cuts this girl's hair and like her haircuts).

What do I say when I go back to her for color and she sees I clearly got my haircut somewhere else? :sick:
IF you address it at all, just say you found a girl who had a haircut you loved and asked her where she got it and got in with that stylist so it would be identical, or that you found someone you really clicked with. You don't owe her anything in that regard.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ame|1426875494|3850161 said:
CJ2008|1426872468|3850117 said:
OK good points everyone.

IF you address it at all, just say you found a girl who had a haircut you loved and asked her where she got it and got in with that stylist so it would be identical, or that you found someone you really clicked with. You don't owe her anything in that regard.

Thanks Ame - I know I don't owe her...I just really like her. I feel like she listens to me and is willing to try things with me (like pinkish / rose face framing hair highlights :D) that she normally does not do...

But I know I have to look out for myself ultimately...I don't want to walk around with a bad haircut just to not make her feel bad.

Thanks everyone.

I sent a text to the 40-minute guy see when he's available.

(man, I've become so LAZY. I used to take a one hour TRAIN RIDE to get my haircuts at a prestigious salon. Now I just want to go around the corner and be DONE with it!)

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

My hair is very strong and straight, and I have a double crown, which makes it very difficult to cut well.

I have had a number of cut disasters with cutters who were not very experienced.

Hence my current hairdresser is only my 4th permenant one since 1989 as she is a very good cutter.

I chanced upon her when I saw a colleague with a very well-cut bob soon after starting a new job back in 2006, and asked where she had it cut, and I have been with her since, even after changing job and working in another town.

At one stage, she was contemplating moving to another salon, and I asked her right away if we could exchange contact details, so that I could follow her to her new salon. In the end, she stayed and all is well.

I would advise the OP to be direct and upfront about it, and ask if the colourist is sufficiently experienced in cutting hair in a particular style, and request for recommendation if she is not. Hopefully, she knows her limitations and would recommend a better cutter.

Good luck, as I appreciate how stressful it can be with changing hairdresser/colourist!

DK :))

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Good luck!!!! My hair is the most important thing to me, im currently growing out a nightmare, crying about it would have been too easy (my regular stylist moved crosscountry to NJ).

The bob is the hardest cut. In 25 years of asking specifically about the bob, this is what all the stylists told me.

Here is what I'm going to do when I have enough grown out: Go to the classy large salon by my neighborhood on a Friday or Saturday and sit in the waiting room. Going to watch the heads leaving---when I see the cut I want, I'll ask who cut it. I'll keep watching/asking for a few hours. Then, I'll get a consult with the stylist/s.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I wouldn't even ask her. I doubt if you would feel comfortable even if she said yes, and that she had done that cut a million times. Just go to the other stylist. A good stylist won't be offended. She will just be glad you came back to her for your color.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I haven't read the responses but I can tell you that is a complicated cut and you'd be better off watching women on the street with a similar hair cut and asking where they got their hair cut and who did the cut. my approach is always, "you have a great hair and I love your hair cut. do you mind me asking who cut your hair?" I find that women always appreciate the compliment and share the info. also, for that particular style you really do need a particular type of hair [not fine]. also, the guy I goes to says it is a lot of upkeep.........regular trims and commitment to styling at home. yes, I floated an idea by him 6 weeks ago and it just isn't me. and for the record: I love the hair style you've described! sigh.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Well, against my better instincts and your advice, I kept my appointment with my local girl and went for it.

:sick:

What happened was a combination of lazy - plus that the other stylist never texted me back with his availability.

She actually did a decent job - it's asymmetrical (one side a little longer than the other) and a little bit graduated (longer in the front than in the back).

It's not as "angular" as I'd like - but she explained to me that in order to go more graduated it would have to be a lot shorter in the back, which I did not want. I don't know if this is accurate or if she doesn't have the skill to graduate it towards the front more without cutting the back more.

She seemed nervous and I heard her say "I have to figure out how to connect it to the back" when I told her we should go a little shorter on the one side :sick:

haha

But this seems to be her thing she talks outloud when she's not sure about things (she does this with color, too, but somehow she always gets it right or close to it).

The haircut overall looks like a good haircut. The one thing I think needs to be better is the side that's longer - there's too much hair I think rather than the front being more like one piece that's long...so it may be the "not graduated/angular enough" thing again.

She told me to go back if I want anything different but like I said I am not sure if it's accurate that we'd need to go shorter in the back to grraduate more or if she just doesn't have the skill / creativity to do it with the length there is.

Maybe when the other stylist texts me I'll set up a consultation with him and get his take on the cut and on making it more graduated (although I realize he may want to "sell me" to get me as a client - but hopefully, he's ethical and if it is indeed a good / great cut he'll tell me).

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

movie zombie|1426950678|3850585 said:
I haven't read the responses but I can tell you that is a complicated cut and you'd be better off watching women on the street with a similar hair cut and asking where they got their hair cut and who did the cut. my approach is always, "you have a great hair and I love your hair cut. do you mind me asking who cut your hair?" I find that women always appreciate the compliment and share the info. also, for that particular style you really do need a particular type of hair [not fine]. also, the guy I goes to says it is a lot of upkeep.........regular trims and commitment to styling at home. yes, I floated an idea by him 6 weeks ago and it just isn't me. and for the record: I love the hair style you've described! sigh.

MZ - I am usually very conservative with the haircuts I get, and the color...

I don't want a lot of upkeep I don't want to have to blow dry every day, etc.

But lately - lately, I just don't care and I want what I want for as long as I can have it.

If this haircut (which cost me $75 plus tip) only lasts looking OK for 6 weeks so be it...

I'll look good and polished and edgy for 6 weeks.

Having said that - I feel like what I did today is not so dramatic / angular that it will quickly go sloppy. When I choose a hair color, even if it's edgy, I try to think about and discuss with my stylist how it will look when it washes out. My hair is completely washed out right now but the 2 rose strands/chunks remain...and they give my otherwise dull light brown hair a little "something".

Lately, I've just been feeling it's worth it, to try something new or different.

We look better right now at this moment than we'll look in 10 years. Let's do these edgy things while we still can.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

This cut is awesome for thin straight hair, but it takes style time every day. From the inspiration pics you posted I don't necessarily see the edginess you were trying to achieve. They also didn't show what you were trying to achieve in the back and how short you are comfortable going in the back. They looked more like a regular bob with light layering.

If you want a more dramatic angle, but have the front chin length you will have to go shorter in the back tapering it more and exposing the nape of the neck. The more dramatic/edgier the more the greater the difference the length between the front ant the back will be. The difficult part is getting those two to connect and blend.
pdata_internetexplorer_temp_saved_images_asymmetrical-stacked-bob-haircut-short-hairstyles-ideas.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Ponder for pointing all those things out because it helps me see where there are "holes" in my explanation - and also that maybe my haircutter did everything exactly right and as I asked her to!

From my perspective, this one was somewhat edgy (at least compared to the haircut I had).

http://beauty.about.com/od/hairstylingtipstricks/ss/Bob-Hairstyles-For-Older-Women_8.htm#step-heading

I don't see as much angle as I do in that picture - but then again, yes, I kept it about 1.5 - 2 inches below my jaw line and I did tell my stylist I did not want to go too short in the back. So the picture you showed - awesome look - but that's not what I told my stylist I wanted.

We went conservative and then she cut more when I told her it wasn't angular enough...

It looks like something like this and this...

bob.jpg

bob2.jpg

ETA and I'm thinking I'd like the right side a little piecier on the ends maybe? not too much more but a little more...the edges/bottom feels a little heavy to me right now and not piecey or angular enough.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Those are good inspiration pics, CJ.

Ponder, is that you in that pic? The color is amazing and so is that cut. So sophisticated. I'm horribly jealous!!!

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

It sounds like a good start for both you and your stylist. You have accomplished two major hurdles, cutting your hair short and having her do it effectively.

If you are pleased so far with the cut, I wouldn't abandon her. Live with it a bit and see if you can find some more inspiration pics to show her from all angles. Pinterest would be a great place to start. For this cut having good communication about what you want/don't want in the back is just as important as the front. And you can experiment over the next couple of cuts. The good thing about short hair is that it seems like it grows faster, almost annoyingly so.

I'm sorry if I didn't think your inspirations were edgy, I have a skewed perception of conservative hair with my SIL doing some crazy things over the last 20 years. We had dinner on Friday with a stylist friend others on Sunday who just went purple all over and it looked amazing!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock

When I got my hair done the other day, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I wanted and how to describe it. She asked me if I was on pinterest and if I'd seen anything on there that I liked. Ummmmmyeah I have a board for hair so we looked it up and she went thru it, and based what she did off that. That maybe would be an option, you could show her exactly what you're thinking of, like this but not like that, this shape but not that color etc, for next time.

ponder

Brilliant_Rock

azstonie|1426967900|3850684 said:

Ponder, is that you in that pic? The color is amazing and so is that cut. So sophisticated. I'm horribly jealous!!!

No, not me. I have been on my phone this morning and couldn't post one of me. Plus how many shots of the back of the head to most people have? Not many, but I do have this one. Back of my head and DD#2.

167580_179937608695268_5157871_n_1__0.jpg

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ponder|1426968133|3850688 said:
It sounds like a good start for both you and your stylist. You have accomplished two major hurdles, cutting your hair short and having her do it effectively.

If you are pleased so far with the cut, I wouldn't abandon her. Live with it a bit and see if you can find some more inspiration pics to show her from all angles. Pinterest would be a great place to start. For this cut having good communication about what you want/don't want in the back is just as important as the front. And you can experiment over the next couple of cuts. The good thing about short hair is that it seems like it grows faster, almost annoyingly so.

I'm sorry if I didn't think your inspirations were edgy, I have a skewed perception of conservative hair with my SIL doing some crazy things over the last 20 years. We had dinner on Friday with a stylist friend others on Sunday who just went purple all over and it looked amazing!

I agree - and that's what I'm saying Ponder...I really like her, she listens to me, and she comes very close - if not right on point - to doing whatever it is I ask. And that's with me sometimes starting out with one thought and then going with another.

And yes, I am now realizing the back is key - I didn't show her any pictures of that because I was not thinking it mattered. She asked me how short I was willing to go though and now I realize that dictated the rest of the ability to go more angular.

I'm thinking one (fairly easy I think?) thing we can do next time is leave 1 little strand of hair in the very front just a tiny bit longer than the rest. That may help it look the whole thing more angular than it really is.

OMG please don't feel bad! I've been coming out of my conservative shell a little bit here and there so for me even going this short, and asymmetrical, is edgy. But it's all relative, you know? I envy women with great skin coloring and skin who can be just as edgy now as when they were younger! I can be a little edgy, but too much would look like I'm trying too hard - so I play "just enough."

ETA: so thank you! you really helped me see how much my hair stylist was dealing with!

ETA2: Pretty hair, Ponder! Very cool.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

packrat|1426968765|3850693 said:
When I got my hair done the other day, I was racking my brain trying to figure out what I wanted and how to describe it. She asked me if I was on pinterest and if I'd seen anything on there that I liked. Ummmmmyeah I have a board for hair so we looked it up and she went thru it, and based what she did off that. That maybe would be an option, you could show her exactly what you're thinking of, like this but not like that, this shape but not that color etc, for next time.

Oh I showed up with pictures.

I don't mess around. :lol:

Problem is I started out with one inspiration picture (one of Sandra Bullock's bob) and then decided it was too safe and I wanted more angles and asymmetry.

Wasn't really a "problem" though - she told me she'd rather start safe and then go more edgy if I wanted it.

(she knows me well)

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks azstonie - they also work well because my hair is thin and fine so it's close to what my finished look could be (versus for example Beyonce's bob which looks really full)

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

ponder|1426968788|3850694 said:

No, not me. I have been on my phone this morning and couldn't post one of me. Plus how many shots of the back of the head to most people have? Not many, but I do have this one. Back of my head and DD#2.

167580_179937608695268_5157871_n_1__0.jpg

Now I'm jealous a second time today, LOL, ponder I love your haircut and color! Its great and that is a sweet sweet pic of your baby too. Thank you for sharing, really nice!!!

Are you a hair stylist?

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

CJ2008|1426969515|3850700 said:

Thanks azstonie - they also work well because my hair is thin and fine so it's close to what my finished look could be (versus for example Beyonce's bob which looks really full)

CJ, I have fine hair too, with lots of it in some places and not enough of it in others. Stylists who don't pay attention get in trouble with it because they cut the back (lots/thick) and then they get around to the hair around my face and there are thin spots near my forehead due to the funky hairline my father's side of the family has. Some of it is straight, some of it is wavy and some is curly :lol: If I wear my hair long, the weight pulls out the wavy curly sections and it looks pretty uniform but boring. I would like just below my shoulders with a beveled edge on the bottom for springy curls but I must not describe the cut right because the last person cut it as if she was THINNING the hair by doing long layers that started in the middle of MY HEAD, which is a complete disaster for curly/wavy/straight hair. Profanity was used by me, I'm not ashamed to say, when I got home and saw what had happened. I waited a couple of months and went to another stylist who was grumpy with me and strange (before she cut my hair we talked a few minutes and she said: "Okay, I like your accessories and your jewelry, I can cut your hair.") but she improved on the bad haircut and when I described the way the stylist used the scissors she said the prior stylist was "bricking" my hair. Which I specifically asked NOT to have happen, texturing curly/wavy hair just wrecks it.

I have also had people tell me: Product, product, product.

I have tried Living Proof and liked quite a few of their line, anyone else?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results