shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you someone's "the one that got away"?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am going to pull a DF here and just throw a question out. Do you think anyone from your past thinks that you are the one that got away?

D

Deactivated member 42515

Re: Are you someone's "the one that got away"?

If I say yes, does that make me stuck up ? Haha

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes! I was engaged at 21. We dated for five years before I ended it. That was a decade ago, and we are now both married to other people, yet that fool still calls me two to four times a year. I always ignore his calls, yet he persists.

I think it's sad, because while *I* believe I'm a super awesome person, I really am not the right person for him and never was. He attended our ten-year HS reunion just to see me, and the whole thing is just silly. He needs to respect his wife and stop thinking whatever fool ideas he thinks about me. At this point I know it has NOTHING to do with *me* and everything to do with some figment he's created in his mind.

D

Deactivated member 42515

Re: Are you someone's "the one that got away"?

Haven said:
Yes! I was engaged at 21. We dated for five years before I ended it. That was a decade ago, and we are now both married to other people, yet that fool still calls me two to four times a year. I always ignore his calls, yet he persists.

I think it's sad, because while *I* believe I'm a super awesome person, I really am not the right person for him and never was. He attended our ten-year HS reunion just to see me, and the whole thing is just silly. He needs to respect his wife and stop thinking whatever fool ideas he thinks about me. At this point I know it has NOTHING to do with *me* and everything to do with some figment he's created in his mind.
Hahaha! "Yet that fool keeps calling me! " That made me laugh! I pity the foo! He is a fool! He should be concentrating on his wife! But then again, I'm sure you're a catch haven!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Haven|1350520246|3287433 said:
At this point I know it has NOTHING to do with *me* and everything to do with some figment he's created in his mind.

I think this is the most common situation, actually. Once we are away from the person, we forget all the annoying bits and just remember the good, which get better and better with each passing day.

In my case, my college boyfriend (who dumped me when he moved to a different city and then, when he moved back, told me there was no way we would get back together) called out of the blue, because he was having problems and wanted to talk. I, of course, told him to come over for dinner (yes, I am that big a fool). He proceeded to arrive an hour and a half late for dinner, criticize my music choice (I have always been a huge classical music fan so that shouldn't have surprised him), criticize my dessert (hastily put together because he didn't bring the one he said he would) and, then, tell me how he was lonely, all his friends were married and the woman he was seeing was asking him if he was serious (she had a child and wasn't up to casual dating). To top it off, he concludes that I was the love of his life, that he shouldn't have let me leave and he wanted to get back together.

I was never happier to say I was very happy with my current relationship.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Are you someone's

YayTacori|1350520175|3287430 said:
If I say yes, does that make me stuck up ? Haha

Details!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
maybe, some guy I dated wanted to get married. I ran the other way when he talked about marriage! :errrr:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. A few. I left all my boyfriends, with an exception of the first one. He's now sitting his a$$ in jail, with only other boys to play with, so he's probably regretting his sudden change of lifestyle soon after we broke up.

I've been chased down, I've been proposed to, I've been stalked…. I've had them bawl, I've had them chase me down in their cars, I've had them show up to my house, show up in my ROOM.. show up at my work.. phew!

Tacori - I don't think it's stuck up? I think we all have "ones that get away". Until you're over them, they ARE "the One". Some people never get over the breakup. Some people believe that we only have ONE "the One", and hold on way too dearly. Sometimes, restraining orders are necessary :naughty:. Luckily for me, and hopefully for you, it has never led to that scenario. It does happen often, though. I'm sure those cases all over the news of ex-lovers' crimes of passions.. are all because one person thought their "one" got away.

And Lady Disdain, haha, it really does sound like a DF topic!!!!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I happen to think so about my college boyfriend, but I could be completely off. I definitely broke his heart at the time (like 6 years ago). He called and texted me for a while after. I saw him at a wedding earlier this year and he nearly broke my fiance's hand when he shook it. Talk about awkward.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1350519970|3287425 said:
I am going to pull a DF here and just throw a question out. Do you think anyone from your past thinks that you are the one that got away?
how about you?

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
Odd this came up.

I had a guy message me Monday night that he has loved me for 11 years!! mmmkay

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Is it mean that I was laughing pretty hard at your description of him? :naughty:

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Skippy|1350524496|3287492 said:
how about you?

I already told my story up thread :bigsmile:

Basically, my college BF shows up out of the blue, whining that I was the One, etc, after criticizing my cooking and music. Sorry, I didn't get away, I ran away!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Nothing to that level, but I do have to say that I'm still friends with my ex and EVERY girl he's seriously dated since we broke up has been 1) far less attractive (sorry for the egotism there!); and more importantly, 2) batsh!t crazy. I am not exaggerating.

So I don't think he thinks I'm the one who got away, but I'm sure he also realizes he had it pretty darn good :p

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lady_Disdain|1350527363|3287523 said:
Sorry, I didn't get away, I ran away!

LOL! Why is it that the ones that still obsess over you are always the craziest loonies? Oh wait, because obsessing after time has past is loony in itself.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I've dated a few losers.

joyluck

Rough_Rock
Ah, maybe not "one that got away" but more of "what if things were different"? We had a LDR and it put such a strain on us. We are still friends to this day but for a while we wondered "what if."

And maybe my ex wishes he treated me better because he's in an awful state right now and I'm happily married. Guess he didn't realize what he had til it was gone. TOO BAD! :D

Anastasia

Shiny_Rock
One for sure. He dumped me after less than a year of dating, because he didn't want to get serious. Two years later, he called me out of the blue saying that he always thought about me and wanted to try again. At this point I was serious with DH. I won't lie and say that I didn't get a little satisfaction out of telling him that I was in love with someone else.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a great question, LD! Much more inventive than DF's. I've had a number of exes try to stay in touch, but I doubt any of them really thought I was the one; just missed some elements of our relationship and was taking a trip down memory lane...

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
Yes, to several. They ALWAYS call back . . . or show up.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I know that one of my exes wanted to marry me. We were young, and he was a world traveler, and we just never got together at the right time. He was definitely sad when I told him that I was getting married... Perhaps in a parallel dimension we are married to each other. ;))

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, it's kind of sad actually. He was a sweet boy that I met when we were 14 and became good friends. Over the years, my grandfather told me that he was in love with me, but I didn't believe him. He came to visit me in college and after a couple of drinks, made a pass at me, which I very badly deflected. Our friendship limped on, but when I told him I was getting married, that was it. He told me he always thought we'd get married, etc.

He got married within a few months of me and divorced less than a year later. I always feel like he only got married to try to forget me and I feel guilty, especially since they had a child together. He's such a good guy, but a romantic relationship would never have worked. We're FB friends now, but I still think he wonders "what if"....

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
yennyfire|1350557386|3287663 said:
Yes, it's kind of sad actually. He was a sweet boy that I met when we were 14 and became good friends. Over the years, my grandfather told me that he was in love with me, but I didn't believe him. He came to visit me in college and after a couple of drinks, made a pass at me, which I very badly deflected. Our friendship limped on, but when I told him I was getting married, that was it. He told me he always thought we'd get married, etc.

He got married within a few months of me and divorced less than a year later. I always feel like he only got married to try to forget me and I feel guilty, especially since they had a child together. He's such a good guy, but a romantic relationship would never have worked. We're FB friends now, but I still think he wonders "what if"....

That is sad, yenny. I do hope he finds happiness!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yea I think so, I dated a guy briefly when I was 16, we were friends first and then we dated for a couple of months, in my opinion nothing serious, well to this day if he runs into my Mom (they live in the same general area and he is now working at a grocery store) he still ask about me, how I am doing if I am still married, ect...for the record he is married with 2 kids....it really just kind of creeps me out, he always tells my Mom how he wished we could have stayed together...

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
minousbijoux|1350534312|3287591 said:
What a great question, LD! Much more inventive than DF's. I've had a number of exes try to stay in touch, but I doubt any of them really thought I was the one; just missed some elements of our relationship and was taking a trip down memory lane...

A trip down memory lane is better than the quick trip to the bedroom many exes have in mind.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, and after multiple iterations over a 28 year span, he finally got smart, gave in to the inevitable, and married me. ;)) I call him my bungee-boyfriend.

Echidna

Brilliant_Rock
Cool question, LD!

Perhaps you ladies should talk extensively about your bling addictions, in the hope that your troublesome exes will think THEY were lucky to get away? :cheeky:

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Yes.

My ex-fiance from 1979 believes (now) that I'm the one that got away.

In reality, I'm the one he threw away.

And I've lived fairly drama free ever since.

Well, until he called me out of the blue, in 2010.

Now when he calls or texts, I just hand the phone to DH and they have a polite "Hey, how ya doin'" conversation.

He can live in "what if" land if he wants to; I'm perfectly happy where I am.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

I don't know and I honestly don't want to know. It would be too creepy.

Of course, I harbored fantasies during a couple of breakups that my exes were losers and I was way too good for them and they'd come back later saying that now they realized how bad they treated me and they hadn't realized how good they had it. But of course, those conversations never happened and by the time I was on my own and in another relationship, I didn't want to have that conversation. I had moved on.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1350521494|3287451 said:
At this point I know it has NOTHING to do with *me* and everything to do with some figment he's created in his mind.

I think this is the most common situation, actually. Once we are away from the person, we forget all the annoying bits and just remember the good, which get better and better with each passing day.

In my case, my college boyfriend (who dumped me when he moved to a different city and then, when he moved back, told me there was no way we would get back together) called out of the blue, because he was having problems and wanted to talk. I, of course, told him to come over for dinner (yes, I am that big a fool). He proceeded to arrive an hour and a half late for dinner, criticize my music choice (I have always been a huge classical music fan so that shouldn't have surprised him), criticize my dessert (hastily put together because he didn't bring the one he said he would) and, then, tell me how he was lonely, all his friends were married and the woman he was seeing was asking him if he was serious (she had a child and wasn't up to casual dating). To top it off, he concludes that I was the love of his life, that he shouldn't have let me leave and he wanted to get back together.
I was never happier to say I was very happy with my current relationship.

Geez. And he thought that by being a jackass, that would win you back?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results