shape
carat
color
clarity

Are you introducing any new-to-you T-day dishes this year?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanksgiving is all about traditions, and many dinner tables will be laden with tried and true family favorites. But... some will bravely venture where their Thanksgiving meals have not gone before.

Are you introducing any new dishes to your Thanksgiving table this year?

I was looking for a non-creamy mushroom soup and stumbled on this recipe, which combines a cauliflower-based soup with oven-roasted mushrooms. I decided on another soup, but love the idea of oven-roasted mushrooms :love: so they're on tomorrow's menu. I'll let you know how it goes!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/11/no-cream-of-mushroom-soup-rosemary.html

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Are you introducing any new-to-you T-day dishes this yea

Yes! I am making a carrot cake. Because...well, I wanted one!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Roasted curried brussel sprouts. :naughty:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Steamed broccoli, with creamy cheddar poured over it will be new to this year's crowd. I made this in desperation one year after I failed at a casserole and needed something to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner. So simple yet so good it was the only dish besides the stuffing to run out completely by the end of dinner.

As for us, this year I am making homemade grilled flatbread pizza as an appetizer, for no reason other than me wanting some!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

nothing new, I have a son who likes the traditions and as long as he is living in my house I will abide by that :appl:

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Yes, but not by choice.

DH was diagnosed with diabetes a couple of weeks ago.

Every single thing we eat has been changed. Everything. :sick:

Have you ever tried to take the sugar and fat out of Thanksgiving? Do you know how many carbs are in Thanksgiving? :shock:

After 30 years, this year will have a lot of new stuff. And I'm not really much of a cook to begin with.

:|

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Elliot86|1417068751|3791115 said:
Steamed broccoli, with creamy cheddar poured over it will be new to this year's crowd. I made this in desperation one year after I failed at a casserole and needed something to bring to a Thanksgiving dinner. So simple yet so good it was the only dish besides the stuffing to run out completely by the end of dinner.

As for us, this year I am making homemade grilled flatbread pizza as an appetizer, for no reason other than me wanting some!

Ooh Elliot, can I come to your house...that sounds yummy!

iLander said:
Yes, but not by choice.

Have you ever tried to take the sugar and fat out of Thanksgiving? Do you know how many carbs are in Thanksgiving? :shock:

After 30 years, this year will have a lot of new stuff. And I'm not really much of a cook to begin with.

iLander, I am wishing your dh an easy transition to good health and I hope you guys have a wonderful holiday. I am sure your Thanksgiving food will be delicious and healthy this year. (((Hugs))) to you and your dh.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wednesday

Rough_Rock

missy|1417093811|3791189 said:
Wednesday|1417064156|3791081 said:

Umm, that looks pretty darn amazing! Perhaps you can post pics after you are finished making this? :lickout:

I hope it tastes as good as the recipe sounds!

I ended up having to halve the recipe because my 20 oz of rustic bread yielded a little less than 6 cups of cubed bread. I am a little unsure of how that will impact baking time. It's been setting up in the fridge since last night. If it turns out okay I can try to get some pics and report back. :)

momhappy

Ideal_Rock

Our Thanksgiving is the same. Every. Year.
….and that's just how we like it:)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found a recipe for a French Lemon Tart.
The recipe sounds easy enough.
I usually make pumpkin and custard pies, but change is good, too.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wednesday|1417096698|3791206 said:
missy|1417093811|3791189 said:
Wednesday|1417064156|3791081 said:

Umm, that looks pretty darn amazing! Perhaps you can post pics after you are finished making this? :lickout:

I hope it tastes as good as the recipe sounds!

I ended up having to halve the recipe because my 20 oz of rustic bread yielded a little less than 6 cups of cubed bread. I am a little unsure of how that will impact baking time. It's been setting up in the fridge since last night. If it turns out okay I can try to get some pics and report back. :)

That does sound yummy! Let us know how it went!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

iLander|1417093479|3791184 said:
Yes, but not by choice.

ilander - Best of luck to you - I'm sure you (and hubby?) will come up with a tasty dinner, and the maybe even the start of some new-to-you Thanksgiving dinner traditions! (Are you into Brussels sprouts at all? Gypsy's roasted curried brussel sprouts sound wonderful!)

maccers

Brilliant_Rock

VRBeauty|1417054490|3791014 said:
Thanksgiving is all about traditions, and many dinner tables will be laden with tried and true family favorites. But... some will bravely venture where their Thanksgiving meals have not gone before.

Are you introducing any new dishes to your Thanksgiving table this year?

I was looking for a non-creamy mushroom soup and stumbled on this recipe, which combines a cauliflower-based soup with oven-roasted mushrooms. I decided on another soup, but love the idea of oven-roasted mushrooms :love: so they're on tomorrow's menu. I'll let you know how it goes!

http://kblog.lunchboxbunch.com/2012/11/no-cream-of-mushroom-soup-rosemary.html

That soup sounds amazing. I have bookmarked it. DH can't have too much dairy, so it's perfect.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

The roast mushrooms were delicious, and disappeared quickly. :mrgreen: I might use balsamic vinegar rather than apple cider vinegar next time though.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

My MIL wanted me to bring "corn pudding" so I brought that. Never made it before but it is a simple recipe and well-received, so may do it again some year. Green bean casserole for 2nd year has been supplanted by roasted brussel spouts and also a yellow squash casserole.
But we always have the standards of turkey, cranberry sauce, stuffing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes. For dessert pumpkin pie, apple pie, and pecan pie.

iLander

Ideal_Rock

Thanks, Missy and VRBeauty! :wavey:

We managed to get it all done, and his sugar level was actually decent after the meal. :appl: :appl:

For dessert, I made a diabetic pie with lite Cool Whip and sugar free Jello Pudding mix. :appl: There were some calories/sugar in the premade crust, but not much, and the super low calorie chocolate tasted fantastic. A low-brow recipe to be sure, but all the low -sugar pumpkin pie (and pecan) recipes featured fake sweeteners by the cup, which he hates the taste of. But this unfancy recipe had no aftertaste. :cheeky:

Plus DD made a cranberry relish with no sugar, using only apples, grapes, cranberries and orange juice. All lightly boiled in an open pan, and it was actually pretty good. The sugar in our usual choice, "Canberries", is astounding. :shock: Fruit sugars, when broken down into jelly or juice, do not have the fibre to offset their affect on blood sugar. So, no juice or jellies for us. :(sad

We also had plain microwaved sweet potatoes instead of the usual sugar and marshmallow concoction.

Here is the recipe: Wash sweet potato. Do not peel. Poke hole with knife. Microwave (5-10 minutes, depending on size) until soft. Split open like a baked potato. Eat. :bigsmile:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock

ILander, so impressed you made it through your first diabetes friendly Thanksgiving. We had a new dish this year - rolls made with sweet potatoes and apples. They were delectable. And not diabetic friendly I'm sure.

NTave

Shiny_Rock

I made a pumpkin cheesecake with a salted caramel sauce and ginger snap crust. Sauce and crust were good, but cheesecake was a Pinterest fail.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mashed rutabaga and carrots. Got a mixed reaction. Some liked and some wanted their regular mashed white potatoes. I thought they came out delicious and just finished the last little bit :lickout: .

Wednesday

Rough_Rock

Been busy so haven't had a chance to update on the bread pudding experiment: Mine definitely did not come out like the magazine pic! When I served it, it fell apart and looked rather like stuffing. The flavors were very good, though. The butterscotch sauce came out perfectly, and I would recommend using a light drizzle of it - no need to make as much as was called for in the recipe.

This was my first bread pudding, so I am not sure what would make the custard more even/thicker. I suspect it was partially due to my use of rustic Italian bread (rather than rustic white) - the bread I bought was possibly not as absorbent. Could also have been the step where the eggs and sugar are beaten. Oh well! It was still yummy.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results