color
clarity

are there any foods you don't eat?

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
kenny|1333607210|3163903 said:
I boycot all major fast food chains.

Actually I buy zero name-brand preprocessed food from the corporate giants , General Mills, Kraft, Kellogg's blah blah blah.

You might ask, "Gee Kenny, What's left?"
Actually tons of salads, fresh fruits and veges.
Brown rice, oatmeal, tofu, humus, taboule, whole grain breads, lentils, chicken, salmon, air-popped popcorn almost daily.
I mostly eat home-prepared simple food close to how it came from the earth.
I cook HUGE recipes, ziplock bag it into 30 servings, freeze them; I don't mind eating the same thing several days in a row.
My weakness is chocolate, ice cream and cookies.

I believe it's called "food." :lol: (another hater of factory made foodstuffs here.) I think I avoid that stuff mostly because when I was growing up, it wasn't available, or at least, not in the way it is today. I never really tasted it, because my dad always cooked meat, fish, grains and vegetables. We didn't have anything except home prepared food, with the exception of snack stuff like chips and cookies (and that was a rare treat). I'm sure we could have sought it out, or got some in a bigger town, but I was 10 when the first supermarket opened within driving distance to us, and the local stores didn't really sell anything branded or processed, so I never really got to seeing it as food. To be fair, I've eaten my share of crap, and I am waaaaaaay over fond of Pizza Hut, but my day to day food isn't corporate.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't eat red meat, chicken, turkey, pork and haven't for over 20 years. I fluctuate between being a vegan, vegetarian and a pescatarian.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are a lot of things I won't try (like foie gras, organ meat, and kangaroo! I didn't even know you could EAT kangaroo). There are probably many other things I won't eat but I thought of more typical foods for my list.

I won't eat duck, lamb or veal and I can't stand the thought of eating chicken with the skin. :knockout: I'm not a vegetarian but I could be one if I think too much about it.

I don't like peas or cantaloupe.

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
Offal and black pudding are a definate no no, some shellfish like whelks and cockles I won't eat and I cannot bear aubergine.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alot of these food I have not heard of....I personally will not eat mushrooms and no organ food at all yuck, I also dislike seafood, the smell just gags me, I hate walking thru the grocery store and smelling it :errrr:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
My list of 'do not like' foods is probably longer than my 'do like' foods. :nono: I do not enjoy being a picky eater, but I am what I am. I have tried foods over and over and over, in an attempt to like them. Only 2 have been successful thus far - sundried tomatoes and spinach.

For veggies, it's easier to list what I do like. I like carrots, potatoes, spinach, corn, green beans, and peas. I do not like...everything else. No tomatoes, onions, asparagus, sweet potatoes, squash, peppers, cucumbers, pumpkin (unless it's soup), and countless other things.

Other things I really dislike: all melons, all seafood (can have some fish, like mahi mahi and barramundi).

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
I don't eat:

Any kind of meat/seafood
Onions - hate hate hate em!!!
Mushrooms
Cooked bell peppers (I do eat raw peppers, though)
Tomatoes (Although I do eat ketchup and will only use pizza sauce (sans onions) for pasta)
Yogurt
Sour Cream
Cream cheese
Cottage cheese
Any kind of mayo except Hellman's
Mustard

I think that's about it. I'm a pretty picky eater. LOL

mayerling

Ideal_Rock
Too many to list! :lol:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Lima beans. Okra. :knockout: :knockout:

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The only food I absolutely will not eat is Kiwi fruit - I'm extremely allergic to them.

I am a big carnivore and love things like kangaroo, ostrich, crocodile, venison, buffalo etc, but draw the line at cat, dog, snake, real exotics, most insects and I prefer not to eat horse.

I don't care for offal (except in Haggis which I LOVE), mushrooms, brussel sprouts or most beans (broad/kidney/butter) but I will eat them if I have to - I learnt to just swallow things whole as a child without tasting them!

stephbolt

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't like ham, although other pig products are fine. I also don't like raw mushrooms, but when they are cooked I'm ok with them.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
jaysonsmom said:
I'll eat pretty much everything. The only things that I wouldn't eat are things you'd see on Bizarre Foods. Things such as fermented shark, putrified raw pork, fried tarantula......but all of the things that previous posters have posted are considered normal foods in my dining repertoire.

Ditto, I eat most things that are "normal". But I won't eat:

-Sauerkraut
-Miracle Whip
-Lima beans

Other than that, I'm not picky at all. And some of the things you've listed I've never heard of, so maybe I wouldn't eat those things either??

And I don't understand how some of you don't like avocado! I could probably eat a whole avocado in one sitting :lickout: Mmm...

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I am somewhat of a picky eater and I used to work for the FDA and had access to food recall lists, so my list could be very long. However, the biggies for me are:

- Tuna fish
- Lamb
- Oatmeal
- Liver
- Bologna
- Lima beans, cooked cabbage, not crazy about green peas either
- Ham
- Spam
- Cottage cheese

I do eat ketchup and mayo (on occasion), but only Heinz Ketchup and Hellman's Mayo.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
mushrooms, raw tomato by itself, mussels, brussels sprouts

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Anything that had a face :knockout: (Longtime vegetarian here.) Not a vegan though, so will eat some dairy. Stuff with gelatin is out- most Skittles, marshmallows, yogurt, etc.

Also, won't/don't eat treenut or peanut products in our house, as my son is allergic to them.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Logan Sapphire, Skittles no longer have gelatin, at least not in the US. They changed that about a year :?: ago. And Dandies is a very good vegan marshmallow (in case you wanted some).

Long time vegan here, so all the typical stuff with that is out. I also refuse to eat anything contaminated with figs (mentally gagging just thinking about it). I dislike and avoid, but don't outright refuse, okra, lotus root, red cabbage, and eggplant.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
kefira|1333635641|3164064 said:
Logan Sapphire, Skittles no longer have gelatin, at least not in the US. They changed that about a year :?: ago. And Dandies is a very good vegan marshmallow (in case you wanted some).

Long time vegan here, so all the typical stuff with that is out. I also refuse to eat anything contaminated with figs (mentally gagging just thinking about it). I dislike and avoid, but don't outright refuse, okra, lotus root, red cabbage, and eggplant.

Well this is exciting news! :appl: I know some of their other flavors are gelatin-free, but I didn't know the original red bagged ones were. I'll check it out next time I'm at Target. Where do you get Dandies from? I've checked Whole Foods (several stores in my area) and can't seem to find vegan marshmallows there. I'd rather eat the Skittles than marshmallow so I've not been too fussed about finding some, but I usually have to skip some cute recipes for my kids b/c we can't find marshmallows.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't eat meat/fish/poultry, but I also don't eat mushrooms, olives, beets, sauerkraut, or marmalade; and I can only tolerate mustard and mayo if they are ingredients (ie in egg salad or macaroni/pasta salads) - can't abide them as condiments/sandwich spreads. I also don't eat lemon- or lime-flavored cakes/pies/cookies/sweets.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Logan Sapphire|1333637225|3164091 said:
Well this is exciting news! :appl: I know some of their other flavors are gelatin-free, but I didn't know the original red bagged ones were. I'll check it out next time I'm at Target. Where do you get Dandies from? I've checked Whole Foods (several stores in my area) and can't seem to find vegan marshmallows there. I'd rather eat the Skittles than marshmallow so I've not been too fussed about finding some, but I usually have to skip some cute recipes for my kids b/c we can't find marshmallows.

I thread stalked you a bit to see if I could figure out your general area...DC, maybe? If so, here's a link that should help. If not, you can put the correct area in and see where you can get them. You can order them through Vegan Essentials if nothing else. I recommend eating them fresh (very yum), but they do go stale eventually. I hope your kiddos like them. :))

Amber St. Clare

Brilliant_Rock
ABSOLUTELY NO:

Onions
Fish--of any variety
Pickles or dill
Corned Beef
Cooked vegetables
ANYTHING spicy--my stomach can't tolerate it

The list is quite long, maybe I should just list what I do eat

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
kefira|1333639778|3164110 said:
Logan Sapphire|1333637225|3164091 said:

I thread stalked you a bit to see if I could figure out your general area...DC, maybe? If so, here's a link that should help. If not, you can put the correct area in and see where you can get them. You can order them through Vegan Essentials if nothing else. I recommend eating them fresh (very yum), but they do go stale eventually. I hope your kiddos like them. :))

Thanks! Yes, you're right- I'm in the DC area. Good detective work! I used to live fairly close to Sticky Fingers before I got married and the first Christmas that my husband and I were dating (only been a couple of months), he went to SF and got me a huge assortment of their stuff and wrapped it up neatly. And then oddly enough, when we were in Seoul, we ran into a Sticky Fingers in a department store.

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Well I like most things, but unfortunately they don't like me (GERD and gastritis), soooooo on an alkaline diet with no wheat (or similar), dairy, citrus, onion family, chocolate, coffee or black/green tea.

What's left? Well, veggies, some fruits, brown rice, quinoa, tofu, beans and lentils, nuts and seeds, a bit of fish or chicken here and there. On a great day I get to have a piece of rye toast with peanut butter.

Funny being on a restricted diet. Some days you feel pretty good, and don't have the cravings, and other days...I give up my left ___ for a piece of cheesy pizza or slice of chocolate cake. I do get to have one really fabulous cup of coffee occasionally. Man does that ever taste good!

Begonia

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1333602904|3163884 said:
Pork organ meat and feet and skin and snout.
Chicken feet... okay, feet in general.
Parsnips.
Cooked turnips (pickled is okay though)
Blood if I can help it although I enjoy cooked marrow.
Vegemite is nasty
Companion animals, including horse.

That's all I can think of, but I reserve the right to add things as I recall them.

Gypsy

Never had that, how is it prepared can I ask? What does it taste like?

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh, and I no longer eat any fastfood. I used to eat it several times a week, and have since given it up because of a wheat allergry. Now when I do eat sometime from a fastfood place- even if it's fries or onion rings- i get severe abdominal cramping. My body rejects it :(

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
There's not too much I would categorically rule out...some types of sushi (eel and urchin) and liver top my list. I'm iffy with pork, as I like it in some of its cured forms (prosciutto, speck) and in carnitas, shredded pork Cuban sandwiches, and the like. But most "plain" pork, like chops or loins, doesn't agree with my digestive system, and I have hated ham since I was a tiny child. I don't like real hot dogs but love Smart Dogs/Tofu Pups. Feet, snouts, and organs generally ick me out but I did have delicious beef tongue recently. I try to eat meat that has been ethically and humanely raised, but I've gotten sort of lax about this recently and need to be more vigilant about it.

Oh, licorice and white chocolate (a.k.a. sweetened vanilla wax) are also no-gos.

Tanzigrrl

Brilliant_Rock
let's see:

green olives
artichokes
meat cooked "rare" - medium to well-done are the only options for me
cheesecake <--I know, I know, but it's so heavy, and ... I don't know, I think it's gross

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are only 2 foods on the earth that I truly DESPISE. Olives and beets. Won't touch them under any circumstances.

Oh, and no corn of any kind - allergic. So no corn starch, corn syrup, corn oil, corn flour, corn meal...you get the picture. So that automatically eliminates most processed and pantry items. It's sad.

kefira

Shiny_Rock
Ha, Erica! You reminded me that when I met my husband, he hated olives. He always pointed out that they spell 'evil o' backwards. Now he likes them, though, and his favorite alcoholic drink is a martini.

Oh yeah...let's add gin to the list things I don't eat.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jennifer W|1333616322|3163928 said:
Maisie|1333613375|3163923 said:
Liver. I was forced to eat it as a child and it tastes disgusting! The texture makes me gag.

I also don't like:

watermelon, (It makes me vomit)
oranges (migraine trigger)
butterbeans (the texture is awful!)
Semolina (again, the texture puts me off)
smoked fish (indigestion)
Twiglets (not sure if you have them over there but they are really gross!)
Any kind of milkshake or yoghurt drink. I would throw that right back up!

I'm sure there are many more but I can't think of them just now.

You are wrong, so wrong. Twiglets are just about the nicest thing. Crunchy, savoury loveliness. :bigsmile:
what are twiglets?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results