shape
carat
color
clarity

Are the leaves changing colors where you live?

soocool

Ideal_Rock
One thing I love living in SE PA is watching the leaves turn beautiful colors in the fall. Unfortunately, because of the dreadfully hot and very dry summer we've had the leaves are turning yellow (without the beautiful intermittent colors) and falling to the ground rapidly. My maples are almost barren right now . The only good news is that all the lawn cleanup will probably be completed by the end of this month.

So how is the fall foliage looking in your neck of the woods?

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
We're still green here but I'm already looking forward to the change!

I hope wifey2be posts some of her fall pics. She takes such gorgeous photos of the colors.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Here in SE Michigan, most everything is still green, but a few trees in the courtyard at work have a few pink leaves. :appl:

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
No, and I hope they hold out for another month! My mom is coming to visit from Cali and she's never seen the New England fall. She does have some impressive color change where she lives, but in a coniferous forest it is few and far between. Here in a vastly deciduous landscape is bound to be far more impressive :D

So for all the travelers, coastal Connecticut hasn't started changing yet :D

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
davi_el_mejor said:
So for all the travelers, coastal Connecticut hasn't started changing yet

Where are you, davi? I am in southwestern Connecticut on the coast (on Long Island Sound) and Elrohwen is in this area, too! Our leaves are still green, but I have seen a border of red at the edge of one or two leaves!

Deb/AGBF
:read:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
We don't get much in terms of leaves changing, so no here. I wish I could go up to see the colors up north.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
For the most part, no, but there are a few trees here and there that are confused and have started changing color (just slightly) a bit early. Usually we don't get full color until the second week of October. I'm in western CT. I work in the Hudson Valley (a little further north than CT) and it's the same story here.

MissMina

Brilliant_Rock
Only because everything is drying up like a prune.
WE NEED RAIN !

soocool

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor said:
No, and I hope they hold out for another month! My mom is coming to visit from Cali and she's never seen the New England fall. She does have some impressive color change where she lives, but in a coniferous forest it is few and far between. Here in a vastly deciduous landscape is bound to be far more impressive :D

Maybe DH and I can take a road trip to CT towards the end of September for a long weekend.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor said:

My parents are visiting me next month as well, so I'm hoping for a bit of rain so the leaves are nice and bright!

I tried to take a phone pic of Boson Common from my office, but it didn't come out great. Not a yellow, red or orange leaf in sight!

greenleaves.jpg

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
soocool said:
davi_el_mejor said:

Maybe DH and I can take a road trip to CT towards the end of September for a long weekend.

In my four years in CT, I haven't found the leaf displays to be that impressive, sadly. I don't think it gets cold enough at night or something. I'd go further north if you can! Or go into upstate NY.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF said:
davi_el_mejor said:
So for all the travelers, coastal Connecticut hasn't started changing yet

Where are you, davi? I am in southwestern Connecticut on the coast (on Long Island Sound) and Elrohwen is in this area, too! Our leaves are still green, but I have seen a border of red at the edge of one or two leaves!

Deb/AGBF

Hi Deb and Elrohwen :wavey:

I'm in New Haven (but I'm not a Yaley!) The city heat really puts a damper on the color change, so we get very minimal change around here, but go 20 minutes up 91 and it's a different story! My mom's visit is the 16th through the 23rd. We're going up to Salem, so hopefully inland New England can do me a favor and peak around then :D

Strawdermangrl

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
soocool said:
One thing I love living in SE PA is watching the leaves turn beautiful colors in the fall. Unfortunately, because of the dreadfully hot and very dry summer we've had the leaves are turning yellow (without the beautiful intermittent colors) and falling to the ground rapidly. My maples are almost barren right now . The only good news is that all the lawn cleanup will probably be completed by the end of this month.

Not so much in Texas- Let me 'lay' out for you how pretty Houston is in the fall...if you can actually classify it as that. * NOTE * I grew up in VA, PA and NC. So? Yeah, I miss this time of year. ;( In Houston, one day you have leaves and then the next? They are on the ground and said tree is naked. They don't change, they don't wither, they straight up fall off.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elrohwen said:
In my four years in CT, I haven't found the leaf displays to be that impressive, sadly. I don't think it gets cold enough at night or something. I'd go further north if you can! Or go into upstate NY.

Actually, they can be gorgeous here, depending on the year. I don't think it's the cold that's the problem. I think the problem is the spread of the suburbs. Where I am, at least, there are just not enough maple trees. If one goes farther north, there are far more of them. In my opinion, maple trees are the answer to the beauty of a New England autumn!

Deb/AGBF

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
AGBF said:
Elrohwen said:

Actually, they can be gorgeous here, depending on the year. I don't think it's the cold that's the problem. I think the problem is the spread of the suburbs. Where I am, at least, there are just not enough maple trees. If one goes farther north, there are far more of them. In my opinion, maple trees are the answer to the beauty of a New England autumn!

Deb/AGBF

That could be it! Though I haven't really seen impressive displays in the Hudson Valley either - even the maple trees have been dull. I guess the weather just hasn't been perfectly right in the past couple years.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Tree color comes from the temperature difference during the day and night. Warm days, cold nights means more color. Suburbs/cities kill the temperature variant.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor said:
Tree color comes from the temperature difference during the day and night. Warm days, cold nights means more color. Suburbs/cities kill the temperature variant.

That is definitely true, though I haven't seen good color this far south in recent years, even in the country. I blame global warming! I don't really spend time in the developed/suburban areas and the trees are still pretty brown every year. I'm hoping for some good color this year!

eta: I think the coast also evens out the temperature, so the nights don't get as cold as they do even half an hour further north (that's what I was trying to get at above, but you said it better than I could!)

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Some of the leaves are turning color here in northern New England but most of them are still green.

ETA: It is a little early for the leaves to change though. Mid-October should (hopefully) be beautiful!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nothing in Iowa yet. We take a lot of weekend drives when they start tho. Some of the long and winding gravel roads are just amazing with all the timber. JD knows all the good roads b/c he travels them so much when he's out hunting/trapping. We live in a valley so it's fun to take roads up in the hills so you can enjoy the view of the valley on the way back down.

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
Unfortunately yes. This summer has been soooo gloomy. We broke the record for continuous days of rain and it's just so upsetting. We're supposed to have sun all of this week, but it's kind of cloudy right now. It's just so sad. Our summers are just so short that it's so disappointing for it not to be nice. Ugh, this is making me sad.

lulu

Ideal_Rock
Up in the Michigan thumb it's just starting. Maybe by the time they really change I won't be such a photo posting idiot. Is there some sort of tutorial for that here?

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Still freaking hot in Texas. Sigh. I would just be happy to have a high below 90!

Hera

Ideal_Rock
They are! Of course as much as San Diego's leaves can change. We had really bizarre weather this whole summer which felt much more like Spring. Our heat waves were in the mid 80's in my part of town. So strange, but I liked it because it stayed nice and cool. My mom, though, told me that they weren't changing in Los Angeles yet.

PinkTower

Brilliant_Rock
Strawdermangrl said:
soocool said:

Not so much in Texas- Let me 'lay' out for you how pretty Houston is in the fall...if you can actually classify it as that. * NOTE * I grew up in VA, PA and NC. So? Yeah, I miss this time of year. ;( In Houston, one day you have leaves and then the next? They are on the ground and said tree is naked. They don't change, they don't wither, they straight up fall off.
I used to have a next door neighbor from H. She summed it up like this:
The only time they used their grill was in January. I am in So. Georgia, but we are like the Poconos compared to Houston.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
We are headed up to the Bloomsburg Fair (Bloomsburg PA) on Sept 25 and perhaps will see some nice foliage. Lady Antebellum will be performing on Monday night so we will let DD miss 2 days of school (she'll ride home with my nephew) and we wil continue perhaps to NY state to find the "fall foliage" and perhaps sample some wine in the Fingerlakes.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
No, not really. It's been hot/cold/hot/cold here so the leaves are probably going to go haywire and fall off before there's much nice color to enjoy.

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
No... and it makes me pouty. I'm from the midwest and living in Texas right now which barely has Fall at all much less the beautiful experience that is fall in the midwest.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results