shape
carat
color
clarity

Are plain wedding bands outdated?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I had an interesting conversation with a friend who is engaged and is looking for a wedding band. Her engagement ring is beautiful and any number of style wedding bands would look fab with it. I told her that while I happen to have three bands (1 plain, 1 half-eternity, 1 full eternity) that qualify as a "wedding band" to go with my new three stone e-ring, the plain band looks best. It makes the diamonds pop, is super comfy, I can stack it with another band on my right hand if I wanted too, is durable (gym, gardening, kid''s sports games), etc.

Anyway, her reaction? That plain bands are outdated and that she had wanted to mention that while my new e-ring was beautiful, the plain band makes it look "old" and "stale".
20.gif

So I thought I''d ask a group of people that know jewelry best
9.gif

Are plain wedding bands now considered outdated?

FWIW, I''m still wearing my plain band with my three stone ring because I love it together and think it looks lovely. Tomorrow I may wear my three stone ring with the eternity band; I like having options
2.gif
31.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think so at all! What a silly comment! I think a plain band really makes a ring like yours shine.

fabcrab

Brilliant_Rock
Although my wedding band isn''t plain, I don''t think plain bands are outdated. In fact, IMO it''s one of those timeless designs that will never go out of style.

That''s great how you have options!

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
plain wedding bands will never ever go out of style! Her comment was just silly. Is a plain tiffany knife edge band that goes with their solitaire ever "outdated"??? I think not!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t think plain wedding bands are outdated at all. I see lots of stylish, fashionable women wearing them.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/21/2007 1:08:05 AM
Author:february2003bride
I had an interesting conversation with a friend who is engaged and is looking for a wedding band. Her engagement ring is beautiful and any number of style wedding bands would look fab with it. I told her that while I happen to have three bands (1 plain, 1 half-eternity, 1 full eternity) that qualify as a ''wedding band'' to go with my new three stone e-ring, the plain band looks best. It makes the diamonds pop, is super comfy, I can stack it with another band on my right hand if I wanted too, is durable (gym, gardening, kid''s sports games), etc.

Anyway, her reaction? That plain bands are outdated and that she had wanted to mention that while my new e-ring was beautiful, the plain band makes it look ''old'' and ''stale''.
20.gif

So I thought I''d ask a group of people that know jewelry best
9.gif

Are plain wedding bands now considered outdated?

FWIW, I''m still wearing my plain band with my three stone ring because I love it together and think it looks lovely. Tomorrow I may wear my three stone ring with the eternity band; I like having options
2.gif
31.gif
Ugh - nonsense
20.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
No way! They''re classic! I''m getting married in September and the wedding band that we just bougth for me is plain. It was by far my favorite style and EVERYONE sold them. If they were outdated, would every store really have them in every width imagineable?

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
Tacori- Aww, thanks! I wasn''t even thinking of my plain band when she said that. What immediately popped into my head was Travellingal''s band, San Diego Lady''s band and LaurenthePartier''s band because I LOVE their e-rings with their PLAIN bands. All I said back was "oh" because I was thinking of pricescope immediately after she said that and didn''t really feel like arguing with her
20.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
No way - plain bands will *never* be out of style, they are THE epitome of symbolism. They are mysterious and speak *volumes* without disclosing anything about wealth or status and that gives them a humble quality that roots its foundations in the love and commitment in a marriage, rather than the decorative quality of its rings. IMO everyone should have a plain wedding band and then add other bands as you have. There''s nothing wrong with blingy bands, even worn in place of the plain band, but for the exchange it is my opinion that the band should be simple, based on everything that ISN''T stylish and trendy, and even if it sits in your box, will always be there as a classic reminder of what the bands really (are supposed to) mean.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
She''s just jealous!!! I think plain bands are classic and timeless. I really love the look of just a plain band actually. It speaks volumes without being LOUD.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
She is out of touch! I think they are classic and classy! I have a plain wedding band, 3mm platinum comfort fit, a half eternity band, and a full eternity band. I wear my plain band all the time! Sometimes alone and sometimes in combo with the other bands to stack.

I did have a 3 stone ring from blue nile that I bought recently (1.25 center with .51 sides). I had it for 3 weeks and ended up returning it before the 30 days were up because I decided I would rather get one big stone in a simpler setting.

Anyhow, during the 3 weeks I had and wore the ring, of my 3 rings, I thought the plain band looked the best with it. I thoght the eternity band and the 1/2 eternity band looked to busy with it. I thought the plain band with the 3 stone looked the best wtih it.

And when I travel I like to wear my plain band too so I can wear a wedding band but not worry about safety and attention for wearing diamonds while traveling.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I disagree with your friend and I agree with everyone else who replied. Maybe your friend was told this by a jeweler who was trying to sell her a more expensive diamond band.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think they''re outdated at all. I have a confession to make. I love my little dainty ering and wband, but sometimes I look at someone wearing a simple plain wedding band with nothing else and think ''I have got to get one of those.''
1.gif

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hm, old and stale or timeless and classic? To each their own, but my wedding band is less about what is in style than something I enjoy and is meaningful to me.

Febbride, thanks for the compliment. My set is totally against the current PS trend, but I find ways not to feel old and stale!
9.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
No way! Plain bands are not outdated. They are classic.

ladyciel

Brilliant_Rock
If there is any "rule" about what''s classic rather than what''s more likely to go out of style, I''d say it''s grace and simplicity. Those two elements can outlast anything. What epitomizes those traits better than a well made plain band?? Nothing I can think of! Plain bands might now be currently trendy, and I suppose classic pieces sometimes do become the "modern" choice, but personally I don''t want a "trendy" wedding set. I want rings that will age with me as well as my marriage does!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 10:05:55 AM
Author: february2003bride
Tacori- Aww, thanks! I wasn''t even thinking of my plain band when she said that. What immediately popped into my head was Travellingal''s band, San Diego Lady''s band and LaurenthePartier''s band because I LOVE their e-rings with their PLAIN bands. All I said back was ''oh'' because I was thinking of pricescope immediately after she said that and didn''t really feel like arguing with her
20.gif

Oh I thought she directed it at you (which would be very rude). I don''t think she is jealous of plain bands (that would be kind of pointless since she could easily buy her own) I think she is just clueless about what classy is
2.gif
I think it is important to take your personal taste out of it when making such a rash, general statement.
20.gif

ursulawrite

Shiny_Rock
Poppycock! I recently bought a plain band to go with my e-ring as my original band (a full eternity of more than 2 carats) completely overwhelmed my 1.3 carat solitaire. I think it looks much chicer, personally.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/21/2007 10:52:57 AM
Author: neatfreak
She''s just jealous!!! I think plain bands are classic and timeless. I really love the look of just a plain band actually. It speaks volumes without being LOUD.

You hit the nail on the head.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think plain bands are outdated at all. Maybe people are opting to go for more bling in their bands these days, but if this is true, I still don''t think it makes plain bands outdated. My new band is plain and I got it because it was what was recommended to me (it would sit flush with my trellis setting). It also looks great with my engagement ring and I''m very happy with it.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not that you need one more confirmation, but I''d say as long as Tiffany is still selling them, they are definitely still in style! I''d like to have a plain band, too, for when the bling is not appropriate. I like to have multiple options!

divergrrl

Ideal_Rock
Carrie: you once described your plain band with your e-ring similar to a "clean white shirt with jeans". Always looks good. (that stuck with me)

I think plain bands are timeless, beautiful, and relevant. They are as "stale" as a classic tiffany solitaire.

IMO you have the best of 3 worlds with your 3 bands....your friend just had diarrhea of the mouth is all.

Diver

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmph. I consider myself pretty "up with the times" and my husband talked me out of a plain platinum band and into one with diamonds...
2.gif
I love plain bands!

galeteia

Brilliant_Rock
A few weeks ago I was ogling sparklies in a jewellery store with a friend, and the woman behind the counter told us that the plain band was supposed to symbolize "unbroken" commitment and/or love (can''t remember know) and she found that ironic, considering the trend towards bands broken up by being set with diamonds. She was an older woman, and seemed to know her stuff; I can''t imagine her just pulling that out of thin air.

For me, nothing but a plain band would do. I see women wearing sparklie rings on various fingers, and am unsure whether or not they are married, but a plain wedding band is unmistakable, no matter what other rings they may be wearing.

The humbleness of a plain wedding band also appeals to me. It says ''for richer or poorer, sickness and health'' to me more than something that looks like jewellery that could be worn on any finger. I do think that the stackable rings and combinations people use are very pretty (Ooo, sparklie!
30.gif
), but they don''t shout Married to me the way plain bands do.
1.gif

P.S. By know her stuff, I mean that she casually named off some the designers while talking about the design elements of the rings we were focusing on, who I recognized (thanks PS!), and she was very up-to-date on what was happening with the Canadian mining industry, and was willing to talk cut with me!
6.gif
She knew we were just looking (smallish town, but was clearing enjoying sharing her passion about diamonds with avid listeners. Sometimes, people are great.
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I noticed you called her a friend...I think what happened was she has been struggling with a choice...and when we do that we tell ourselves goofy little things to help make up our minds. When she opened her mouth that stuff just fell out. Since is it kinda gooey she can''t clean up the mess, but you still call her friend.

Don''t take it personally. It was just on the surface as she is obviously trying to convince herself what is right. It is also possible that she can''t afford the other kind and used the same line on you that she did to convince her FI that they had to spend more on the band. She was just looking for validation/response from someone who obviously knew and had experience with successful sets...you have mulitiple. She will only have one? Just shrug it off. Continue to call her friend...and wear the plain one and do so with grace.

DKS

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/22/2007 2:12:46 AM
Author: Galateia
A few weeks ago I was ogling sparklies in a jewellery store with a friend, and the woman behind the counter told us that the plain band was supposed to symbolize ''unbroken'' commitment and/or love (can''t remember know) and she found that ironic, considering the trend towards bands broken up by being set with diamonds.

I don''t think they are out of date, there are plenty of them seen in the UK too, only in recent years have people been seen with bands with diamonds set in them. Although engraving on a plain band has been popular for years and years. Hardly ever if ever is an eternity ring or half eternity ring used as a wedding band over here - I have never seen it.

What happens though if the plain band has to be resized, is that not being broken up as well in the same way as being set with diamonds? What do others think about that?

Samantha Red

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/22/2007 6:12:59 AM
Author: Pyramid

Date: 5/22/2007 2:12:46 AM
Author: Galateia
A few weeks ago I was ogling sparklies in a jewellery store with a friend, and the woman behind the counter told us that the plain band was supposed to symbolize ''unbroken'' commitment and/or love (can''t remember know) and she found that ironic, considering the trend towards bands broken up by being set with diamonds.

I don''t think they are out of date, there are plenty of them seen in the UK too, only in recent years have people been seen with bands with diamonds set in them. Although engraving on a plain band has been popular for years and years. Hardly ever if ever is an eternity ring or half eternity ring used as a wedding band over here - I have never seen it.

What happens though if the plain band has to be resized, is that not being broken up as well in the same way as being set with diamonds? What do others think about that?
I too live in the UK and when I get married in 2009 I plan to have a diamond band and a plain band, purely because my lifestyle is such that a diamond band will not be practical all the time, but I really want one ( I am drooling over the ritani endless love pave bands). I also know that there will be times when I just want the simplicity of the plain and simple band. My friend is a registrar and performs marriage ceremonies three days a week. She says that diamond bands are definitely becoming more popular over here. British women nearly always have a wedding band though. I noticed when I lived in the US and here on PS that some people use their ER as fulfilling both functions. My view is that everyone should do what is right for them and it shouldn''t be an issue for anyone else. In my opinion for me, the more bling the better, but each to their own
35.gif

tangoecho

Rough_Rock
I agree with all of you. I have a diamond eternity ring AND a half diamond band AND a plain band that I switch out according to the situation. (worn with or without my engagement ring). Maybe in today's time of "a bigger diamond is better, the more bling the better", snap judgements are made about a persons economic/social/educational status according to whether their band is plain or diamond. Which frankly is wrong. My brother in laws mom only wore a plain band and they had mucho dinero.

Personally I feel a plain band in whatever color gold or type of metal that a person likes is a necessity. I just can't imagine washing my 120 pound dog, adding compost to my garden, staying up all night with a sick (coming out both ends) child, swimming in the Gulf of Mexico or hiking up a side of a mountain with my diamond bands or engagement ring on. Just for practical reasons to avoid damaging the rings or the diamonds. It's much easier & cheaper (no insurance claim necessary) to replace a $150 plain gold band in case of damage or loss than my much more expensive diamond rings.

By the way, I have done none of the above the past week but have worn only my plain band every day. I just love it and go through spurts where it's the only thing I want to wear!
21.gif

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
A few weeks ago I was ogling sparklies in a jewellery store with a friend, and the woman behind the counter told us that the plain band was supposed to symbolize "unbroken" commitment and/or love (can''t remember now) and she found that ironic, considering the trend towards bands broken up by being set with diamonds.

I have heard that it was a Jewish custom for the wedding ring to be a plain gold band, with no stones or engraving. I''m by no means an expert on Jewish wedding traditions, though.

I do like the look of a simple, plain band. It''s terribly elegant.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results