shape
carat
color
clarity

Apple Iphone, are you getting one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hubby and 2 of his friends are *tailgating* at the Apple store later today while waiting in line. People actually started lining up outside the store yesterday and they don''t go on sale until 6:00pm tonight. The phones look pretty darn cool, can you imagine being able to surf PS wherever you phone works
10.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Waiting for 3rd or 4th generation here, when it gets sexy and thin and different colors. It''s inevitable.
emteeth.gif
Also til they expand past AT&T *ugh*. Not sure what they were thinking there.

rfath

Shiny_Rock
As much as I hate to be an early adopter (read: guinea pig), I think my husband will probably get me one to assuage his guilt at getting one.

Oh, DARN those guilty feelings!
19.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I want one, but probably will also wait awhile unless my tech obsessed FI gets me one. He actually has no interest in getting one for himself, but he loves to write little programs for our Mac computers, so he's very intrigued about writing programs for the iphone too. So if anyone in our house gets one it will be me, but he'll have programming privileges!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m going to wait a while. I''ll have to get a new cell phone next year because they won''t be supporting analog technology beginning Feb. 2008 - so - I''ll wait until then and see what''s out there.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 8:53:05 AM
Author: Julianna
Waiting for 3rd or 4th generation here, when it gets sexy and thin and different colors. It''s inevitable.
emteeth.gif

I agree with you, I''m holding out for a blue one to match my shuffle. Hubby was going to wait a while b/c he thinks there are going to be a lot of kinks with singular but his company is buying them so now he''s on board..lol

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 9:09:27 AM
Author: mrssalvo

Date: 6/29/2007 8:53:05 AM
Author: Julianna
emteeth.gif

I agree with you, I''m holding out for a blue one to match my shuffle. Hubby was going to wait a while b/c he thinks there are going to be a lot of kinks with singular but his company is buying them so now he''s on board..lol
I wish I worked for a company wherein every time a new gadget came out, they felt the need to buy ''em in bulk to stay at the bleeding edge of technology. Fantastic. Lucky him.
9.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
not really interested, i just got a new cell a month or so ago from sprint and i love it so far. and quite honestly, i may be old fashioned but i really don't want to use my phone to surf the web. i have a computer at home, one at work, and i kind of like that there is a small part of time when i am unreachable by email and unable to see the internet etc. it might be kind of nice to be able to look up something or whatever while out but really the chances of me needing that (as in ACTUALLY needing it, not just wanting it) are slim.

who knows maybe in another year or two when i'm ready for my next cell i'll be interested, but for now nah..

also to those interested in one, i recently saw something online about it being like $600 a year when all i said and done or something like that? it was a headline and i didn't read the article but i remember seeing it. so to whoever is buying one, be sure you know all the costs associated and all that.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
i am going to wait. i usually see how others like things before i buy. keep us posted on how he likes it; i am excited for him! they look cool!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Not only is the phone itself ridiculously expensive, the plans are very pricey. Whatever happened to a phone just being a phone? I am about at the time to get a new phone and I dread it because last time I had to wade through all the options and trying to find a phone that DIDN''T have a camera was so hard! I don''t want a camera phone. I don''t want an iphone. I don''t want email on it. I just want a phone-phone.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
I just knew there would be a thread on the iPhone here! PSers are up in everything. I'd like to have one, but I think I'll wait a while. Both my husband and I are into getting the *latest* phones, in fact I just got the Blackberry Curve which I love! However, I can wait on the iPhone...I think (ask me next year). Right now the price is the deal-breaker for me.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
sumbride, don''t know if they have cricket in your area but that is what I have now. $50 a month for long distance and texting, no other bells and whistles and no contracts. the downside, it doesn''t roam, so if i''m not in a city that also has cricket service I get no service. Doesn''t help me much when traveling but is great in all other respects.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
at&t is probably one of the worst providers in my area so that really puts any thought of it out of my mind. well, that and the pricetag
23.gif
i do think it would be awesome to use though!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
FI desperately wants one! He's been watching the keynote speeches and demo videos and reading reviews since it was first announced. He's planning to get one in Sept. when his other contract is up.

I'd probably like to have one too, if I could afford it!
3.gif
My contract isn't up until January, so we'll see how finances are then...

ETA: Mara, the $600/year being the plan? That's only $50/month. My current plan is the cheapest that verizon offers, and it's more expensive than that...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 11:26:59 AM
Author: mrssalvo
sumbride, don''t know if they have cricket in your area but that is what I have now. $50 a month for long distance and texting, no other bells and whistles and no contracts. the downside, it doesn''t roam, so if i''m not in a city that also has cricket service I get no service. Doesn''t help me much when traveling but is great in all other respects.
thanks MrsSalvo, but we travel a LOT so nationwide no roaming is a requirement for us. We have a family plan with cingular/att&t which is decent, but we have the lowest number of minutes (700) possible and we still accumulate most of that in roll-over minutes each month. We''re up to 5000 roll-over minutes between us and no hope or desire of ever using them. We don''t do the text thing very often... usually only when he''s at football games and can''t hear, or situations like that. I guess, for an IT person, I''m just "old fashioned"!
2.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 11:23:02 AM
Author: sumbride
Not only is the phone itself ridiculously expensive, the plans are very pricey. Whatever happened to a phone just being a phone? I am about at the time to get a new phone and I dread it because last time I had to wade through all the options and trying to find a phone that DIDN''T have a camera was so hard! I don''t want a camera phone. I don''t want an iphone. I don''t want email on it. I just want a phone-phone.
bingo agree 100%.
A lot of companies are not allowing camera phones on site also.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
RE: the internet thing... that's actually not the selling point for me. LOTS of regular phones (including my current one) have basic internet access (not all pages work, though--but the ones I need/use do). I'm actually most interested in the googlemaps functionality, which I'm sure I would use enough to run down the battery every day! My parents have a portable GPS which I am obsessed with, but the thing cost something like $900. iPhone w/ googlemaps is sorta the next best thing, is cheaper, and has other functionality as well.

The only thing I'm sort of on the fence about is... am I a "one gadget for everything" (iPhone) kinda gal or a "different gadgets for different things" (iPod, GPS, cell, etc.) kinda gal. One gadget for everything might mean that I don't USE all the functionality for fear of running out of battery and not being able to use the REALLY important stuff if I need to...

Sorry, tangent
3.gif

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Musey, that battery thing is not a small point. The iphone battery is not replaceable and the battery issues with iPods were a huge deal on the first (several) generations.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
hah i dunno musey, i just remember reading it somewhere, maybe it was a MONTH? in which case that''d be insane so yeah i don''t know haha.

also is it just me or does anyone not really WANT one device for everything? i kind of like having my cell separate from mp3 player and the like.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
so hubby is #10 in line. he just sent me a message that the store just bought everyone waiting pizza...

mara, I agree that I wouldn''t care/want my mp3 in my phone. I love just my little ipod for working out and wouldn''t want to use the iphone for that, way too big...

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 12:00:08 PM
Author: musey
RE: the internet thing... that''s actually not the selling point for me. LOTS of regular phones (including my current one) have basic internet access (not all pages work, though--but the ones I need/use do). I''m actually most interested in the googlemaps functionality, which I''m sure I would use enough to run down the battery every day! My parents have a portable GPS which I am obsessed with, but the thing cost something like $900. iPhone w/ googlemaps is sorta the next best thing, is cheaper, and has other functionality as well.

The only thing I''m sort of on the fence about is... am I a ''one gadget for everything'' (iPhone) kinda gal or a ''different gadgets for different things'' (iPod, GPS, cell, etc.) kinda gal. One gadget for everything might mean that I don''t USE all the functionality for fear of running out of battery and not being able to use the REALLY important stuff if I need to...

Sorry, tangent
3.gif
My husband and I own a Nextel store so of course we''re watching the iPhone to see what happens in our market. The phone looks super cool but the AT&T network is horrible in our area.

On a different note, one of the main thing my husband sells is data packages to businesses for things like GPS. So the slick little portable GPS can all be done on your cell phone. The version he sells most allows you to upload a list of places you would like to visit then gives you turn by turn directions (on the visually on the phon plus verbally) which is pretty much just like the portable GPS devices. When he sells it to businesses they also do geofencing...basically define a territory for each person and if the person goes out of the territory notice is sent. Same thing for speed etc. There is even a version that monitors engine stuff and will turn off the vehicle if certain paremeters are broken...(of course the driver gets plenty of warnings and notice first).

From my viewpoint, I hope Verizon never gets the iPhone because they are our main competitor but I bet they will get it first after AT&T from the industry stuff I''m hearing.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
They do look cool but I won't be getting one. I have yet to get an iPod!

I have an old cell phone and have wanted to get a new one for a long time! The problem I have is that in order to get a new cell phone (for free or for cheap), I'd have to switch over to a Cingular plan and I don't want to. I still have the old AT&T plan. We have a family plan and it's a GREAT deal! Best deal ever. We'll never find a better plan. Another option I have is to buy a phone and have it unlocked so I could use it with my AT&T plan/AT&T SIM card. It all seems like so much trouble so I haven't done anything yet, even though I'm dying for a new cell phone! What I don't understand is that if Cingular is the new AT&T, then why are they only using phones compatible with Cingular SIM cards and trying to make old AT&T customers switch to Cingular plans?! Argh!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sum, the iPhone battery is replaceable. You just have to send it in to be done, much like iPods.

Mara, no you''re not the only one--that''s exactly why I was pondering it. If I had an iPhone, I think I''d end up using it only for calls and internet, and save the music for my mp3 player.

Island, to the GPS thing--I''m not pumped on them so much for the driving directions. It''s more the "hmm, I''m hungry for greek food, I wonder where the closest restaurant is..." perks. That thing came in SO handy during our last vacation, when we didn''t have internet access for things like citysearch/google/etc.

Snlee, that''s so strange that you''d have to get a new plan!! On verizon you can switch your phone out at any time (I believe?), you just can''t get a discount on the new phone unless you sign a new contract. The more tidbits I hear about cingular/at&t, the less I like it
20.gif

eks6426

Ideal_Rock

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmm... WHY have I never heard of this before??
6.gif
Must check out the website...

basil

Brilliant_Rock
No, I''m not. My cell is my only phone, so I really only use it as a phone phone.

The idea of access to email and internet all the time is appealing to me, though. My dad has a Treo, and it''s kind of fun to check your email during car trips or in airports or whatever. And to not need to bring your laptop on short trips. If I got a phone to browse the internet, I''d get an iPhone. But that''s probably a few years off for me right now...I have Verizon anyway now it''d be annoying for me, fiance, and my mom to all switch since we''re all on the same plan right now.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
well, hubby is the proud new owner of the phone. He is freaking out, he just loves it. he said itune's show pics of the CD covers and you tap the screen to choose the song you want. Iphoto is really cool too. One of his favorite features is the junk feature on the email which his crackberry doesn't have so now he can get rid of all the spam that plugs up his email. He said it is a lot smaller than he thought it would be and very thin, almost as thin as his current phone. Also, he love the googlemap and GPS. Time will tell how AT&T does as the provider. Hubby thinks other providers will probably get them in about a year. I can't wait until he gets home so I can see it in person..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results