shape
carat
color
clarity

Apple Iphone, are you getting one?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yay! Good for your hubby! Glad he loves it. Will you post pictures for us to see?
9.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I went out to the Apple store and saw it-it''s pretty cool. I''m not that into gadgets, though. Just clothes, shoes and jewelry!

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Here is a photo of the iPod line in my area.

ipod line resA.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Some had fleeting fame

ipod 15 of fame resA1.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
But not everyone was a young tech geek:

ipod older customer res A.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Some are just in it for the $$$. This guy was paying $800 cash. He was carrying what looked much like a fake LV bag and paying in hundred dollar bills. Let''s hope those were real!

ipod guy with sign res A2.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 11:01:18 PM
Author: Beacon
But not everyone was a young tech geek:
That man is precious!
9.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
great pics beacon...too funny about the guy paying cash. i wonder how many will show up on ebay tonight?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our Philadelphia Mayor, John Street waited in line since 3 AM to get the Iphone. People were outraged!!! A little old lady walked up to him, and said, I have a problem with this. I think it's outrageous, you are sitting in line to get a phone!!!
20.gif
OMG, I cracked up. She was too funny!!!

And yeah, the pic of the old guy is too cute, he reminds me of my grandfather!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have Verizon and are too tied in to consider changing. Verizon gets the best service in most of the places we go. I am sure we can already get internet access on a phone by paying a monthly fee, but I can''t imagine it on a screen that small, not to mention the difficulty in typing. I take a 12" laptop with me when I travel, and I really prefer that. However, we have a 9" DVD player, and I wouldn''t mind a computer that size once the prices go down! Like some others, I really only use a cell phone as a phone!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nope, no need for one, I''m happy with my two year old Motorola flip phone, and DH has a razr and a crackberry so we''re all good on the phone front. I was watching the news last night and people were getting paid upwards of $200 just to stand in line for people who wanted to purchase iphones!
20.gif
So that''s, what, $800+ you''re willing to pay for a phone? Uh-uh, no way. But those people would probably say the same thing to me regarding jewelry, lol!

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Gosh, no Apple I Phone for me. I have had the same cell phone for the past 4 years, and it still works just fine. It is a little Samsung flip phone. It''s very teeny and cute, and it''s so old, that people think it''s new (I guess because it''s been off shelves for so long).

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 11:19:01 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Our Philadelphia Mayor, John Street waited in line since 3 AM to get the Iphone. People were outraged!!! A little old lady walked up to him, and said, I have a problem with this. I think it''s outrageous, you are sitting in line to get a phone!!!
20.gif

And yeah, the pic of the old guy is too cute, he reminds me of my grandfather!!!

Hahaha...that''s hilarious! You''d think he would have some connections so he wouldn''t have to wait in line! I don''t get why people were mad at him, though! Can''t a mayor take a day off every now and then?

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Love your pictures Beacon! Were you just passing by or were you waiting in line too?

That''s funny about the Mayor of Philadelphia. I saw on the news that Steve Wozniak the co-founder of Apple was the first one waiting in line for an iPhone at a store. You would think he has connections!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 12:15:07 AM
Author: thing2of2

Date: 6/29/2007 11:19:01 PM
Author: Kaleigh
Our Philadelphia Mayor, John Street waited in line since 3 AM to get the Iphone. People were outraged!!! A little old lady walked up to him, and said, I have a problem with this. I think it''s outrageous, you are sitting in line to get a phone!!!
20.gif

Hahaha...that''s hilarious! You''d think he would have some connections so he wouldn''t have to wait in line! I don''t get why people were mad at him, though! Can''t a mayor take a day off every now and then?
My thoughts exactly!! It made national news, so that really made me laugh!!!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
We just got back from checking it out at the Apple Store. The MASSIVE line (if any of you are familiar with the beverly center, it wrapped around 10 times in front of the apple store there and continued downstairs and halfway around the block @ San Vicente!!) had already come and gone by the time we got there at 8:45.

VERY cool. I didn''t want to want one, but I''m such a nut for tech stuff that I''m not surprised that I loved it. I think that FI''s excitement (seriously, a very laid-back guy was suddenly a 7-year-old kid in a candy store) contributed to my excitement over it. He is OBSESSED.

He''s getting one in Sept. when his old plan is up. I''ve decided it''s a "no" for me because it''s really not in my budget right now, but he''s working on all these hair-brained schemes for how he''s going to buy it or ask my parents to split it with him as a b-day present, etc. What a cutie
3.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 12:47:23 AM
Author: snlee
Love your pictures Beacon! Were you just passing by or were you waiting in line too?

That''s funny about the Mayor of Philadelphia. I saw on the news that Steve Wozniak the co-founder of Apple was the first one waiting in line for an iPhone at a store. You would think he has connections!

My FI is a software developer and so he gets all the apple emails, developers blogs, etc. I guess that Steve Jobs said that Steve W. could have an Iphone for free, no problem, but that it wouldn''t get to his house until Saturday.

So Steve W. decided to wait in line to get his instead so he could have it on Friday!!!! I think it was probably more for his own amusement than anything else!

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
I always get things after the hype about them has gone away and prices have gone down. lol.
I just got a motorola razr...and it''s been out forever.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I always like new gadgets but the iPhone is just too pricey for me. If it were 400 bucks I''d be more inclined to *think* about it, but I already have a phone with internet, an iPod, and I have a navigation system in my car and another one for the motorcycle. So even when I''m on my road trips, I still wouldn''t need it.

What I really need is a water proof compact laptop with a 24 hour battery and wireless sattelite internet/phone access to help me get to where I''m going when I''m traveling through oblivion.

:razz:

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
As sad as this sounds, I''m not impressed by the iPhone. I already have a $700 phone/internet/music player/ultra gadget and from what I''ve read the iPhone doesn''t really break any new ground in the smart phone industry but really just dumbs down the technology so the "average" person feels comfortable with it. I have a Samsung IP-830 and it''s a little intimidating at first because it is somewhat complicated to get up and working properly but I can do just about everything on my phone. This is my 4th PDA type phone and I can''t imagine going to a regular cell phone any time soon.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think the appeal is similar to MAC vs. PC... even if the mac doesn''t necessarily do the average-computer-stuff better it certainly looks prettier! (I say this as a former PC loyalist converted to apple by my FI.)

It seems to be "all about the extras," though in this case, instead of the extras being applications, they are little flourishes in the form of animations/customizing. I''m one of those people who says "ooh" "ahh" over the pinch-to-zoom feature and similar.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at an i phone yesterday. It''s an amazing gadget, but I will never use half of the features. It has to be activated through i-tunes. I heard that Apple will be selling it in Asia next year and Asia''s phone system is so much more advanced than ours that the i phone they''ll be selling there will make this present one obsolete.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apple is the marketing genius.

our Mayor in Philadelphia apparently waited on line since the wee hours and people were annoyed that he was in line for an I phone instead of working! He stinks anyway, but thought if the mayor has not ability to get one, that is pretty funny.

I am not that much of a tech person and think, while they seem cool, I am sure there will be kinks to work out as time goes on. And the prices may go down over time as well. Also, I think it is large for me, I could not fit it in a small bag. Also, I would not likely use most of the stuff on it so why bother?

My 12 year old wants one, but he loses things so I would not get him something that expensive, plus it is not on Verizon which is our carrier, and so we would need to use another carrier just for that. Again, that might change over time but now is an issue.

I heard Apple is giving all of their 18,000 employees one for free, but assume that they then have to pay the monthly service which can run 100.00 a month...crazy....

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/29/2007 1:42:55 PM

They do look cool but I won''t be getting one. I have yet to get an iPod!

I have an old cell phone and have wanted to get a new one for a long time! The problem I have is that in order to get a new cell phone (for free or for cheap), I''d have to switch over to a Cingular plan and I don''t want to. I still have the old AT&T plan. We have a family plan and it''s a GREAT deal! Best deal ever. We''ll never find a better plan. Another option I have is to buy a phone and have it unlocked so I could use it with my AT&T plan/AT&T SIM card. It all seems like so much trouble so I haven''t done anything yet, even though I''m dying for a new cell phone! What I don''t understand is that if Cingular is the new AT&T, then why are they only using phones compatible with Cingular SIM cards and trying to make old AT&T customers switch to Cingular plans?! Argh!
Hey snlee, from what I understand, AT&T is the new Cingular, not the other way around as you have it. Cingular''s being phased out. I doubt AT&T forces Cingular customers onto their plans, but if you wanted to get a new plan, you''d probably end up with an AT&T one. Sure hope AT&T absorbs the Cingular network, theirs is utter crap. Check out AT&T''s website. It says "AT&T Wireless, formerly Cingular Wireless" right at the top.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 11:05:16 AM
Author: Julianna

I have an old cell phone and have wanted to get a new one for a long time! The problem I have is that in order to get a new cell phone (for free or for cheap), I''d have to switch over to a Cingular plan and I don''t want to. I still have the old AT&T plan. We have a family plan and it''s a GREAT deal! Best deal ever. We''ll never find a better plan. Another option I have is to buy a phone and have it unlocked so I could use it with my AT&T plan/AT&T SIM card. It all seems like so much trouble so I haven''t done anything yet, even though I''m dying for a new cell phone! What I don''t understand is that if Cingular is the new AT&T, then why are they only using phones compatible with Cingular SIM cards and trying to make old AT&T customers switch to Cingular plans?! Argh!
Hey snlee, from what I understand, AT&T is the new Cingular, not the other way around as you have it. Cingular''s being phased out. I doubt AT&T forces Cingular customers onto their plans, but if you wanted to get a new plan, you''d probably end up with an AT&T one. Sure hope AT&T absorbs the Cingular network, theirs is utter crap. Check out AT&T''s website. It says ''AT&T Wireless, formerly Cingular Wireless'' right at the top.

If you were an old AT&T customer, before it was Cingular, then you''ll DEFINITELY have to change plans. We had a great AT&T plan, but had to switch to a Cingular plan that wasn''t as good when we wanted new phones, which we had to get because they changed technology/tower signals around here and our old AT&T phones no longer worked much... so then we switched to Cingular and had great service... but now it''s AT&T again... so I''m wondering how long before the "old" Cingular technology doesn''t work anymore and I''ll have to switch BACK to AT&T, with no doubt a more expensive plan.

It''s really getting ridiculous. All of this has happened in the last TWO years.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 8:29:12 AM
Author: diamondfan
I heard Apple is giving all of their 18,000 employees one for free, but assume that they then have to pay the monthly service which can run 100.00 a month...crazy....
I heard that too, although plans start at $70 (not $100). My current plan is $50, though, so I''d have trouble justifying the price jump for no extra plan features.

A lot of my relatives are switching from Verizon to at&t because of this, which means no more mobile-to-mobile minutes for me... which means I kind of should switch anyway, but I don''t like any of at&t''s other phones
14.gif
. FI''s parents might pull me in on their family plan for $30 extra a month, but I may be stuck with one of their not-as-cute-as-verizon phones unless someone else pays for it or helps me pay for it
9.gif
31.gif
haha. It''s just too darn expensive!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/2/2007 11:39:59 AM
Author: sumbride
We had a great AT&T plan, but had to switch to a Cingular plan that wasn''t as good when we wanted new phones, which we had to get because they changed technology/tower signals around here and our old AT&T phones no longer worked much... so then we switched to Cingular and had great service... but now it''s AT&T again... so I''m wondering how long before the ''old'' Cingular technology doesn''t work anymore and I''ll have to switch BACK to AT&T, with no doubt a more expensive plan.

It''s really getting ridiculous. All of this has happened in the last TWO years.
I wish the US would just follow suit with Japan and Europe. They''re at least 8-10 years ahead of us on mobile device technology (including networks--not just their units)
20.gif
ugh. I heard that the delayed overseas release of the iPhone made some US people say "oh, poor Europe! they can''t get their iPhones!" Meanwhile people in Europe and Japan are thinking okay, we''ve had phones like this or BETTER since 2000...

FI has friend in Korea that he was bragging about the iPhone to, and the guy was just laughing at the "poor Americans, so behind in technology!!"
3.gif

Julianna

Brilliant_Rock

If you were an old AT&T customer, before it was Cingular, then you''ll DEFINITELY have to change plans. We had a great AT&T plan, but had to switch to a Cingular plan that wasn''t as good when we wanted new phones, which we had to get because they changed technology/tower signals around here and our old AT&T phones no longer worked much... so then we switched to Cingular and had great service... but now it''s AT&T again... so I''m wondering how long before the ''old'' Cingular technology doesn''t work anymore and I''ll have to switch BACK to AT&T, with no doubt a more expensive plan.

Wow. That is scamalicious. You go way back with them. I say jump ship. Verizon''s got coverage everywhere (though it''s massively expensive for the right options) and TMobile (that''s who I''m with) has fantastic plans and customer service but sorta crap coverage. Either has to be better than a company that can''t decide who they are.
20.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock

Date: 7/2/2007 11:05:16 AM
Author: Julianna

Hey snlee, from what I understand, AT&T is the new Cingular, not the other way around as you have it. Cingular''s being phased out. I doubt AT&T forces Cingular customers onto their plans, but if you wanted to get a new plan, you''d probably end up with an AT&T one. Sure hope AT&T absorbs the Cingular network, theirs is utter crap. Check out AT&T''s website. It says ''AT&T Wireless, formerly Cingular Wireless'' right at the top.
If you were an old AT&T customer, before it was Cingular, then you''ll DEFINITELY have to change plans. We had a great AT&T plan, but had to switch to a Cingular plan that wasn''t as good when we wanted new phones, which we had to get because they changed technology/tower signals around here and our old AT&T phones no longer worked much... so then we switched to Cingular and had great service... but now it''s AT&T again... so I''m wondering how long before the ''old'' Cingular technology doesn''t work anymore and I''ll have to switch BACK to AT&T, with no doubt a more expensive plan.

I agree, it''s getting ridiculous and I''m so sick of all the changes! I can''t even keep up with it all! I just want to keep my good plan (I haven''t had any major reception problems) and get a new phone!
6.gif

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/30/2007 1:54:28 PM
Author: neatfreak

My FI is a software developer and so he gets all the apple emails, developers blogs, etc. I guess that Steve Jobs said that Steve W. could have an Iphone for free, no problem, but that it wouldn''t get to his house until Saturday.

So Steve W. decided to wait in line to get his instead so he could have it on Friday!!!! I think it was probably more for his own amusement than anything else!
Yeah, that''s what I heard after I posted this. Steve W. also wanted to get his kid a phone. I also heard people let him cut to the front of the line after they found out who he was.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results