shape
carat
color
clarity

Appetizer for Holiday Party

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
A club I belong to is having a holiday party and I need to bring an appetizer. The location is about a half hour away, and I don''t want to have to use the kitchen there to heat/reheat, as I''m not sure of the availability. I''m looking for tasty (and not too complicated) recipes for items that travel well and don''t need to be served right out of the oven. Any suggestions for me?????

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
any tasty treat from you jewelry box will work.
2.gif

What about a pate with special water crackers. I think you can use simple things...it is all in presentation. Using parsley around the edge of the platter...parsley holds up for long length of time and travels very well! You can apply a spread with a pastry bag and make a swirled dollop look like a million bucks. Dollop onto crispy things...or vegetables and add a small piece of long cut chive...or additional pretty looking things. Fresh dill spring can really add interest to a bland everyday thing. Add some caviar in the center and you can pull off some impressive display. Or cheeses and fruit tray. I have been using small cookie cutters to present my cheese and it really impresses. Used oak leaves for fall...a holly would be great for Christmas.

Mozzarella balls and antipasta tray all with pretty party picks.

You don''t to use any form of pastry as it would be so so with no heat and travel. Is there a theme or a reason you are gathering? We could use an idea of that and carry it on. Is it a legal eagle gathering? I''ll keep working on it for you...§

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh you can plan to use a warmer with a little flame underneath for say, cheese melt or a fondue type thing. These can be rented if you don''t have one. A little flickering flame is always cool and impressive. I don''t get out much do I? §

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
I usually bring a brie baked in a puff pastry w/your favorite jam and nuts baked together; it is always a HUGE hit and super easy. Don''t forget the crackers! hehee

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
The gathering is for a law school fraternity I belong to and those attending will be other law school students. Anything above just chips or veggies and dip would probably impress them!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
I was faced with this same dilemma yesterday.

Here were some of my thoughts:
- A sushi platter. If you have a Whole Foods nearby that could work. Also, Trader Joes has [cooked] sushi.
- Pate and a few cheeses [robiola, manchego, st. andre, gorgonzola, raclette, etc.] with table water type crackers.
- Sweets [chocolates, fancy cookies, a Stollen, panforte, panettone, etc.]
- nuts [coconut covered cashews or some other interesting combo]
- cream cheese with mango chutney on top of it plus crackers
- cream cheese with caviar on top of it
- smoked trout or smoked bluefish pate [Whole foods]

I wound up taking a nap and not having time to get anything! LOL!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Shrimp cocktail makes a nice presentation and is popular at parties.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i think anything cold would not be a problem if you put a cooler in your vehicle and popped whatever in there. i carry them in the back of my vehicle all the time to stick groceries and other purchases in.

do you make veggie pizza with the crescent rolls? small squares of that would be nice. there is also the one made with the fruit. how about some mini bagels with different cream cheese spreads? mini muffins could be nice also. meatballs served in a crockpot might work. have fun!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love all of the ideas that I''ve read so far. Yum! Here are a few other ideas:

What about deviled eggs? I''ve never made them but they look super easy.

Bruschetta and crusty bread

Brie with walnuts and brown sugar on top and french bread. Hmmm, although this is really easy (even I can make it!), I''m not sure how it would travel. I was going to suggest baking it when you got there but then I remembered that you''re not sure if you''d have access to an oven.

Swedish meatballs made in a crockpot, or kielbasa with a sweet and tangy sauce, also made in a crockpot (I can get directions for the kielbasa if you''re interested -- my FSIL makes it and it''s sooooo good.)

Stuffed mushrooms

Hummus and crackers and/or veggies

Proscuitto wrapped melon

Let us know what you decide to bring. Have fun!

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am coming to all the above parties :)

Linda

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooohh, Chargergrrl, that dip looks really tasty! You gotta love recipes that basically have you just mix a bunch of ingredients together.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
hehe- that''s why I chose it, Zoe!

Plus, I like that it''s from Cooking Light- can''t really be bad for you (well, unless you eat the whole thing!!)

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one that is always a hit:

Shrimp Dip

2 10 3/4 oz. cans of cream of shrimp soup
16 oz. cream cheese
lemon juice
worchestershire sauce
garlic powder
paprika
2 small cans (tuna size) of boiled shrimp. usually called tiny shrimp.

Serve with an assortment of crackers such as water crackers, Triscuits etc. Can add a few larger shrimp for garnish.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
what you want is something that is easy to just pop into your mouth without any mess or heat, the following is all I can think of just now.....all can be prepared well in advance:

1. red pepper humous with veggie sticks

2. mini new potatoes filled with cream cheese and chives

3. crostini with goats cheese (or other cheese) and onion relish

4. mini sausages cooked with a glaze of sesame oil, soy sauce and honey - scrummydelicious - you could have veggie and meat sausages - serve with cocktail sticks

5. mini-wraps filled with chicken caesar salad or blt or whatever

I''ll have a think about other ideas.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
have to jump in here with rave reviews about the cream cheese block suggestion. a coworker made this once for a party and at first i thought it looked a little cheesy haha but it was sooo good. i might whip up the cream cheese and not just do a block but either way works...she put a bunch of caramel on top of the block of cheese and then dropped chopped peanuts all over it. and served it with triscuits. the salt from the crackers and the sweet from the cheese and caramel was so divine. the thing was gone in like 10 min. mostly me i''m sure! and super easy to put together at work. block of cream cheese, jar of caramel or a sweet jelly, some nuts, and crackers. boom!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like to do pinwheel sandwiches - they''re easy to make and carry and usually a hit. Spread a tortilla with the cream cheese mixture and then top with the meat of choice, and roll ''em up. They have to chill in the fridge for at least an hour or two before cutting to hold their shape. Slice them and place them sideways on the platter - they look like spirals which is how they got their pinwheel name I''m sure, and they''re bite size so they''re easy to eat at a party.

Combos I''ve tried:
apricot cream cheese with ham (mix 1 block cream cheese with 2 tbs apricot jam and 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots)
mustard cream cheese with salami (mix 1 block cream cheese with a few tbs mustard and mayo to taste)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I made these for our Christmas party over the weekend. They did not last long. They are delicious. Be sure to triple the recipe. I had to quadruple it.

one looooong sourdough baguette
one can of chopped black olives
one cup of shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 teaspoon of curry powder
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
chopped scallions

mix it all together. Spread it on sliced thin baguettes and put it under the boiler until bubbly. Serve hot. They are out of the world. One male guest ate 20 of them.... HA!!

I make it the night before, so the flavors can really blend.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2007 11:11:27 AM
Author: FireGoddess
I like to do pinwheel sandwiches - they''re easy to make and carry and usually a hit. Spread a tortilla with the cream cheese mixture and then top with the meat of choice, and roll ''em up. They have to chill in the fridge for at least an hour or two before cutting to hold their shape. Slice them and place them sideways on the platter - they look like spirals which is how they got their pinwheel name I''m sure, and they''re bite size so they''re easy to eat at a party.

Combos I''ve tried:
apricot cream cheese with ham (mix 1 block cream cheese with 2 tbs apricot jam and 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots)
mustard cream cheese with salami (mix 1 block cream cheese with a few tbs mustard and mayo to taste)
To add on to FG''s wonderful pinwheel ideas: salsa and cream cheese with shaved Virginia baked ham and sliced black olives.

Also: jalapenos stuffed with whipped cream cheese (you can mix in spices if you wish) served with raspberry/chipotle dip, can be wrapped in bacon as well.

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Oh poo! I lost power and couldn''t add to the thread.

Looks like you got some great ones so I''ll keep mine for next time.

I agree with Mara on the block thing...don''t care for the presentation of it. My girlfriends hubby is a big whig attorney in their city. They gather at the drop of a hat. Once thing that my friend must take as it is demanded from the group is her jalapeno jelly dip.

Yuck it sounds to me. She says all she does is warm a jar of jalapeno jelly and pour it over a block of cream cheese. I said, YUK! Is it green? Doesn''t it look like slime or something else that starts with an "s" smeared on cream cheese...or does it look like pond scum?
32.gif
She says yes...but it so delicious. Ok then. Well, that is what she says. I pass on the jar of jalapeno jelly often and still say YUK! Pond scum! But if it were me, I would do as Mara suggested..and whip that puppy into nirvana. §

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
I love this white pizza dip, super easy and always and huge success.

WHITE PIZZA DIP

1 envelope Lipton® Recipe Secrets® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix

1 container (16 oz.) sour cream

1 cup (8 oz.) ricotta cheese

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (about 4 oz.)

1/4 cup (1 oz.) chopped pepperoni (optional)

1 loaf Italian or French bread, sliced

1. Preheat oven to 350°. In shallow 1-quart casserole, combine Lipton® Recipe Secrets ® Savory Herb with Garlic Soup Mix, sour cream, ricotta cheese, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and pepperoni.

2. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese.

3. Bake uncovered 30 minutes or until heated through. Serve with bread.

Makes: 3 cups dip
Preparation Time: 10 Minute(s)
Cook Time: 30 Minute(s)

whitepizzadip.jpg

sap483

Brilliant_Rock
Like Zoe suggested, bruschetta is super easy and travels well. I make the following one often and it's always gone in a matter of minutes.

Double Tomato Bruschetta

The pinwheels someone else suggested are also a great idea. Another way to change up that recipe is to use a flavored cream cheese. Aloutte has a garlic herb spread that tastes delicious with turkey or chicken! My mom makes also makes a vegetarian version of the pinwheels using beans, salsa and cream cheese.

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/11/2007 4:36:03 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Oh poo! I lost power and couldn''t add to the thread.

Looks like you got some great ones so I''ll keep mine for next time.

I agree with Mara on the block thing...don''t care for the presentation of it. My girlfriends hubby is a big whig attorney in their city. They gather at the drop of a hat. Once thing that my friend must take as it is demanded from the group is her jalapeno jelly dip.

Yuck it sounds to me. She says all she does is warm a jar of jalapeno jelly and pour it over a block of cream cheese. I said, YUK! Is it green? Doesn''t it look like slime or something else that starts with an ''s'' smeared on cream cheese...or does it look like pond scum?
32.gif
She says yes...but it so delicious. Ok then. Well, that is what she says. I pass on the jar of jalapeno jelly often and still say YUK! Pond scum! But if it were me, I would do as Mara suggested..and whip that puppy into nirvana. §
We eat this DKS, it is FANTASTICO....
36.gif
9.gif

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
There are so many wonderful sounding ideas you have suggested. Now the hard part is going to be picking one!

Mara, I love the cream cheese, caramel, nuts idea. Just trying to figure out- if I whipped the cream cheese, would it be then best to layer the items in a glass bowl? Or how would you suggest serving it?

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ok, who mentioned baked brie with Jam and nuts? I want that recipe.

I make stuffed mushrooms and those are always a hit

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
Update:

I brought 2. I did the cream cheese, caramel, sliced almonds and triscuits- people LOVED it. Thanks Mara!

And I made a cheese ball and served it with celery and wheat thins. (You soften a block of cream cheese, add about 2 oz. of bleu cheese, 1 minced clove of garlic, 1 T. mayo, 1 t. chopped pimento. Roll in chopped walnuts.)

Both were a big hit and eaten completely!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Cool! They both sound really great! And traveled well I would imagine. Cool to be a big hit? I can only imagine!
2.gif

Glad they were all eaten. Hubby wouldn''t have allowed them to return home. He would say "throw that out!" Why dear? "You never know if someone double dipped or not!" §

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
MA i just saw your post....sorry i never responded but sounds like you got it figured out...yay. so awesome that it was a huge hit, people seem to LOVE that dish!! did you whip it or how did you serve it? my coworker just served it as a block on a glass plate covered with caramel and then sprinkled the nuts all over it and the dish and put the crackers around it on the plate. i remember thinking that i wasn''t a huge fan of the visual of the ''block'' of cream cheese, but wasn''t sure what would be a better way. guess whipping it would have worked!

MaryAlaina

Brilliant_Rock
No, I left it as a block, and just poured the caramel over it, and put the almonds on top. I served it on a pretty dish though, and had the triscuits circling everything. I thought it looked nice, and later the hostess even told me that was her favorite appetizer!

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
how did you warm the block or did i dream that it was warmed?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results