shape
carat
color
clarity

Apartment pets, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 5:09:54 PM
Author: glitterata
I highly recommend a budgie (parakeet). They''re at least as smart as cats and very affectionate and cuddly if you take the time to interact with them. They have definite personalities. I had one who would sit on my eyeglasses and groom my eyebrows or sit on my fingers and chirp to me while I was typing. He loved to have me pet his head and scratch him behind the neck.They have a cheerful chirping, but they''re not loud and bossy the way bigger parrots can be. Some people can teach them to talk and do tricks. They''re very clean. They don''t smell. They''re easy to take care of and can be left alone for two or three days if you go away for the weekend. They''re very inexpensive to feed--just seed or pellets, plus whatever veggies you''re eating yourself (but no avocados!). They''re gentle and don''t bite.

Parrotlets are another good choice for an apartment. They''re about the same size as parakeets and a little quieter, but also a little bossier, more stubborn, and can be nippy.

Edited to add: Oh, I missed the fact that you''ve had already parrots! So you know all about what fun they can be. Budgies and parrotlets are small species of parrots and have a lot in common with their bigger cousins. That''s especially true of parrotlets, which are a lot like tiny Amazons in personality. But both budgies and parrotlets are TONS quieter than most bigger parrots, so they might be better for apartments.
That is ridiculously cute!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 5:25:15 PM
Author: MonkeyPie
Date: 10/3/2008 5:09:54 PM

Author: glitterata

I highly recommend a budgie (parakeet). They''re at least as smart as cats and very affectionate and cuddly if you take the time to interact with them. They have definite personalities. I had one who would sit on my eyeglasses and groom my eyebrows or sit on my fingers and chirp to me while I was typing. He loved to have me pet his head and scratch him behind the neck.They have a cheerful chirping, but they''re not loud and bossy the way bigger parrots can be. Some people can teach them to talk and do tricks. They''re very clean. They don''t smell. They''re easy to take care of and can be left alone for two or three days if you go away for the weekend. They''re very inexpensive to feed--just seed or pellets, plus whatever veggies you''re eating yourself (but no avocados!). They''re gentle and don''t bite.

Parrotlets are another good choice for an apartment. They''re about the same size as parakeets and a little quieter, but also a little bossier, more stubborn, and can be nippy.

Edited to add: Oh, I missed the fact that you''ve had already parrots! So you know all about what fun they can be. Budgies and parrotlets are small species of parrots and have a lot in common with their bigger cousins. That''s especially true of parrotlets, which are a lot like tiny Amazons in personality. But both budgies and parrotlets are TONS quieter than most bigger parrots, so they might be better for apartments.

That is ridiculously cute!

It really was. He died three years ago. I miss him so much! He was a great little bird.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to add that if I decide to add to the current menagerie, following the planned acquisition of a mini homo sapiens in May, I will be getting a corvid.

They are super-clever and great pets. I live almost opposite the Tower of London and have been watching the Ravens that they have there - fascinating birds.

lesco

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/4/2008 8:16:17 AM
Author: Pandora II
Just wanted to add that if I decide to add to the current menagerie, following the planned acquisition of a mini homo sapiens in May, I will be getting a corvid.

They are super-clever and great pets. I live almost opposite the Tower of London and have been watching the Ravens that they have there - fascinating birds.
haha... too funny. That along with your non-stop pooper has me ROTLF. I had a hamster, whom I adored and now we have a betta fish. He is quite attentive for a fish if I may add.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Re: corvids, I knew someone who rescued a hurt baby crow. He nursed it to health, named it Edgar Allen Crow and taught it to say "Nevermore."

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
I agree with kcourselle... cats are awesome!
36.gif
That would be my first recommendation. They can be alone through the day, they are VERY interactive and affectionate, easy to care for, extremely clean, and so darn much fun!!! (May I ask, please, why you are not considering one?)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results