shape
carat
color
clarity

Anything materialistic that you love MORE than bling?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obviously, we're all blingaholics in one form or another. That explains my daily lurking of photos here and all over the internet. I'm sure I'm not alone :naughty: I'm curious what other types of "materialism" do PSers love? Any other collections? Hobbies? I know Kenny loves his uber camera equipment. Madame Bijoux and her Hermes bags. DeeJay and her Porsche! Anyone else have other loves of their lives?

Nothing sentimental. Obviously, I love my friends and family more than bling. My pet more than bling. I'm sure we all do. Throw sentimentality out the window, please ;)) I wanna know the juicy materialistic obsessions!

Travel? Purses? Cars? Expensive wines? Are you a foodie that will pay four digit dollars to enjoy a meal?
Oh, and hello, show and tell please. Gluttony at its finest.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:bigsmile:

Attachments

• billy_ray_jr.bmp
    5.7 MB · Views: 1,002

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
There's a few different things...if someone walked into my house, they would think it's books because we have our bookcases overflowing and have four kindles (just got another KF) and it is true, for sure...I do love books a lot, but I don't spend a lot because we have a great used book store that has books that are often brand new or look BN and are 1/2 price. So, luckily it's not that expensive. Also, I love clothes but hadn't purchased many until recently now that I went back down to a size 2 (all through weight lifting, no dieting because I love food, too!)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cruising! Just booked my next one tonight! Vancouver to LA.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1372559991|3474584 said:
Cruising! Just booked my next one tonight! Vancouver to LA.

Along these lines, I just really like money for travel, but if you're going for a material item...

CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES CLOTHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could lose much more time in a fabric store than in a jewellery store. (But more internet time looking at jewellery) I love fabrics...and pattern books! Ohh, don't get me started! I had to stop acquiring fabrics and start selling them because I just wasn't using them quickly enough.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great question madelise. That's a tough one to answer for me because I wouldn't be happy without my clothing collection or my bling collection. I love fashion and I love shopping and because clothes are less expensive than bling I shop much more often for clothes than I do bling.

I have a few hobbies but I don't consider them materialistic per se (cycling/working out/animal rescue/reading/kayaking/foodie) so I will leave it at clothing and bling as my most materialistic desires because those are the only things I collect in any sort of volume if that makes sense.

hippi_pixi

Brilliant_Rock
Shoes :). Not necessarily expensive ones, i love a bargain. But i can never get enough evem though i have a huge collection already. I'm well known for being a shoeaholic

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I buy paintings. When I was younger I was horrified by the prices on paintings in galleries. Suddenly, the internet became available and painters and gallery owners put their art up for sale. At first I was wary, but have been happy with my purchases and the costs.
I have promised myself, I will buy no more, as I have no more walls to put them on. Paintings are more meaningful to me than music.
I have no idea why, but it is an emotional experience for me, and I would love, much more than bling, to own a masterpiece. That is only in my dreams.

The other passion or want that I have had is now a no-no by a good portion of the population. I love fur. I've had a seal coat, I have a silver fox coat, and a vintage mink cape. I do scan ads for a full length mink coat. I have bought my niece a gorgeous fox jacket, that she loves, and uses for photographic shoots, where she is a stylist on the shoot.

Its been fun to look for these items.

Annette

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1372575391|3474645 said:
I could lose much more time in a fabric store than in a jewellery store. (But more internet time looking at jewellery) I love fabrics...and pattern books! Ohh, don't get me started! I had to stop acquiring fabrics and start selling them because I just wasn't using them quickly enough.

I'm with you Rhea!!! :D :D I've gotten into quilting, and while I'm a bit too frugal to get books, I'm having such a hard time resisting the fat quarters!!! :D My BFF and I are both making hexie quilts, love them! And I've just signed up for a hand quilting class, I am beyond excited!!!! D: :D :D

Before it was yarn, however I wouldn't troll the yarn shops because they are very expensive, and I tend toward lace/sock yarns. For those of you who aren't yarnies, that means crazy thin yarn. The problem was when we got new dressers and I am now able to fill a dresser drawer with shawls. Its too hot here to really make sweaters, and I run too hot to do cardigans (the students whine that they're cold), so I am getting into quilting... :D

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other weekness is going to concerts..I have traveled up to 10 hours by car to go see a concert and I always get my tickets on Ebay or Stubhub..once you been front row at a concert there is no going back :wink2: and believe me this can get quite expensive!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
hippi_pixi|1372591246|3474678 said:
Shoes :). Not necessarily expensive ones, i love a bargain. But i can never get enough evem though i have a huge collection already. I'm well known for being a shoeaholic

Same here. My coworkers are in awe of my never-ending rotation.....I don't buy expensive shoes, the most is around $200, but I have a lot of styles and colors, and roughly 60-80 pairs at any given time.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vintage. Show me a weird old thing, preferably from some slightly faded old house of status, and I am ON IT. I just missed out on a set of day-of-the-week straight razors from Asprey. Boo!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BOOKS.

I spend more on books in a year than I do on bling. Pretty impressive considering that each book costs $5-10 and each bling purchase is pretty much a minimum of $500 with stone and setting... Now that the books are on the kindle app, my rampant consumption isn't so obvious as it used to be.

In terms of luxury buying, that's really my husband's area... he loves his motorcycle and expensive gadgets for that (WHO KNEW that a good motorcycle helmet is like $800), fancy cooking gadgets (just bought a fancy sous vide thingy for a grand), expensive restaurants, etc. He's a major foodie and also loves cooking... but it's easy to justify any cooking gadget expenses because he does actually use them to make delicious food... and anything that gets him cooking me dinner is fine by me. otoh, I can barely tell the difference between McDonald's and a $500 dinner, so going to expensive restaurants kind of baffles me, but it clearly makes HIM happy, so whatever.

I like makeup, clothing, and shoes, but I don't think I really spend a ton of money on them. Maybe makeup. I easily spend $100 a month at Sephora.

I also love art of all kinds... jewelry is kind of an extension of that for me. I love going to art festivals and buying things, and buying things from my friends who are artists. My aunt is a potter and for our wedding she made us a set of 8 beautiful mugs. While we received a ton of nice stuff for our wedding, that is easily my favorite gift. While I have never bought anything super-expensive, I can see it happening in the future, as my husband also loves photography and paintings. He's less interested in any kind of three-dimensional art, but photography and paintings we both love. So this is an area where our materialism could expand in the future. (It can't right now because we have no places to hang things... I have enough family/friends who are/were painters that we have a ton of paintings already, and the few blank spaces left on our walls are for wedding pictures... I guess we did spend way more on a wedding photog than anyone else thought was necessary, but our pictures are amazeballs.)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
smitcompton|1372603037|3474737 said:
The other passion or want that I have had is now a no-no by a good portion of the population. I love fur. I've had a seal coat, I have a silver fox coat, and a vintage mink cape. I do scan ads for a full length mink coat. I have bought my niece a gorgeous fox jacket, that she loves, and uses for photographic shoots, where she is a stylist on the shoot.

I have some furs but nothing fancy. Mostly rabbit, but none are as soft as my pet rabbit. I always tell her that if she's a bad rabbit I'll turn her into a muff or a hat. She's not big enough to make anything else. This always appalls people.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Magazines, books about bling, cellphone related gadgetry (cases apps etc), OFFICE SUPPLIES (I seriously have a freaking poppin addiction), and wallets. I don't know what the heck my thing with wallets is, but despite being in a serious love affair with my Tumis, I am constantly looking for new ones in similar sizes but slightly different layouts. I like Travel Wallets (massive!) for day to day. I have no issue for my travel and "bar hopping" wallets. Those are fine. But daily wallets...constantly looking.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
distracts said:
I have some furs but nothing fancy. Mostly rabbit, but none are as soft as my pet rabbit. I always tell her that if she's a bad rabbit I'll turn her into a muff or a hat. She's not big enough to make anything else. This always appalls people.

HEE, that's hilarious. I say much the same to my, pink-eared, white-furred "cat," who is obviously a rabbit in a bad disguise ....

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually have a coat I wear in the winter to walk the dogs and it looks like I'm either truly The Demon's momma or *wearing* his momma. All I'm missing is a white ruff and a tail, and I'm sure my furrier could accommodate both of those things.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know if they are materialistic but they're friggin expensive ... :knockout:

I love to paint in watercolor.
It's a wickedly unforgiving and difficult medium.
You can't fix mistakes because the paint is transparent and cannot be removed without damaging the paper.
Purists don't use white paint so you have to leave the white of the paper.

I've found that fine brushes, paints and paper are essential if you want the best results.
Kolinski Sable watercolor brushes are the best.
You can charge one up a with a ton of paint, and it won't drip as you are moving it over the painting.
They can give you both wide even washes and come to a needle point and everything in between.
I find lesser brushes don't do what I want and are very frustrating to use.

Around 15 years ago I bought a set of the best, Windsor Newton Series 7, hand made in England.
I paint less often now but when I do these brushes are like driving a Ferrari, and are worth every penny.
Today the largest one in the set goes for $360, alone.

http://www.cheapjoes.com/catalog/product/view/id/10417/

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Mine is definitely travel. I'll balk at spending $200 on a dress, shoes, purse, makeup, coat, whatever - but if that $200 is an inter-island flight, or snorkelling day trip, or night in a treehouse, I don't think twice. My concept of the value of money changes when travel is involved, much to DH's amusement. A $100 bottle of champagne for my birthday is ridiculous, but the same bottle at the bottom of the Grand Canyon is a necessity! :tongue:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Dee*Jay|1372558369|3474575 said:

EKKKK DEEJay!!! You are the one that started it!!! I need to ask you about Porsche's. I have been looking at the Gray Boxer for awhile now but won't pull the trigger till we know where we are moving next- oh yes and save up for a larger down payment. I'm so jealous! Tell me how much you love your car!>??!?!

Besides bling we travel alot. We try to do at least 1 major trip every year.

HollyS

Ideal_Rock
If money were no object, and I had plenty of it . . . .

I would buy, renovate, or build a home that had everything I wanted. And I would probably continue to tweak, change up the décor, and buy lovely things for it. The location would be important; and the ability to buy enough property would be key.

I would give up my bling for that. Absolutely.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1372638623|3475030 said:
Dee*Jay|1372558369|3474575 said:

EKKKK DEEJay!!! You are the one that started it!!! I need to ask you about Porsche's. I have been looking at the Gray Boxer for awhile now but won't pull the trigger till we know where we are moving next- oh yes and save up for a larger down payment. I'm so jealous! Tell me how much you love your car!>??!?!

Besides bling we travel alot. We try to do at least 1 major trip every year.

I'm not sure I *can* tell you in mere words how much I love this thing! I get up on some weekend mornings at an ungodly hour just to take it for a "spirited drive" in the lightest possible traffic on the express lanes of the highway (which are of a configuration that make it impossible for the cops to hide). I smile like a fool the whole time I'm driving it, and when I hit the accelerator this is me --> :bigsmile: There's just no substitute for PERFORMANCE. I'm sad it took me until the age of 42 to get this thing; to think, I could have been driving a Billy Ray for years now.

So tell me more about your upcoming boxter! :devil:

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Guitars...this is my brand new Show Pro Pedal Steel
show-pro.jpg

Even the bottom is beautiful ( to me anyway)
show-pro-bottom.jpg

SB621- I LOVED my BoxsterS- and I've also owned a 911 Carrera.
Some Porsche-ephiles might call it sacrilege- but I can't say I loved one more than the other.
The new models are slobber-worthy.
Silver with the all red interior....OMG

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine would be perfume.
Also, I like spending money on eating out at fine restaurants.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
canuk-gal|1372633798|3474979 said:

OMG that coat is divine!!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love both lady and gent blings.

zxq.jpg

_7688.jpg

dscn0126.jpg