shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone want to play find that vintage dress (or one similar)

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My husband is having a company Christmas party in early Dec. and I'm out of dresses to wear since I've worn all that I have (for some reason he says no to me wearing my vintage wedding gown-I'm still trying ton convince him that it doesn't matter what others think-it should be worn again).

It's not a super formal affair but most of the guys wear suits and the women wear formal dresses (to the degree they are comfortable with-some cocktail dresses and others more formal-some just church best).

While watching criminal minds last night I saw a vintage gown that I fell in love with. I've done a horrible screen shot capture of the dress and I'm hoping that with your help I can find something similar. I'm on a budget-so I would prefer used over new-but since I never buy anything new anymore if it's super close (and some place I can try it on) I'm willing to splurge :naughty:

If there is a name for this style of gown that will help me in my hunt I'd appreciate that info too. I have no clue where to start and vintage dress brings up a LOT more than I'm willing to go though :(sad

Thanks so much!

criminalmindsdress.jpg

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Re: Anyone want to play find that vintage dress (or one simi

It's 1940s, or 40s inspired, and it has cap sleeves. Beyond that ... hm, not sure, but I'll stalk Etsy for ya! What measurements do you need, roughly?

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks Circe-I was hoping you'd chime in. I'd say a size 2 or a size 4 dress (32 bust ish and I think my hips are around 26-27ish waist I have no clue). I'm 5'6" and around 107 lbs if that helps but chesty for my size (C-D).

I'll narrow the search down :)

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Nnnnnoooo idea how much this one costs, but the description might help in tracking another down ... http://www.circabrides.com/honey-40s-vintage-dress.php

Modern dress sizes are useless for finding vintage - in modern sizes, depending on their fit model, I can go from 0 to 12. What the ...? Easier to know I need a 39 bust, 28 waist, and 36 hips. If you're a 32C-D you're probably an inch or two lower on the scale and could take a 37" bust ... for the rest, bust out the tape measure! Nothing worse than finding the perfect vintage thing and realizing the seams can't be let out ....

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Circe|1382632709|3543751 said:
Nnnnnoooo idea how much this one costs, but the description might help in tracking another down ... http://www.circabrides.com/honey-40s-vintage-dress.php

Modern dress sizes are useless for finding vintage - in modern sizes, depending on their fit model, I can go from 0 to 12. What the ...? Easier to know I need a 39 bust, 28 waist, and 36 hips. If you're a 32C-D you're probably an inch or two lower on the scale and could take a 37" bust ... for the rest, bust out the tape measure! Nothing worse than finding the perfect vintage thing and realizing the seams can't be let out ....
I must have lucked out with my vintage wedding gown then :)

Check THIS one out (this only makes me sad I missed out on the sale in 2010)
http://www.stylehive.com/bookmark/handmade-1940s-gown-red-satin-evening-formal-by-unforgettableyou-926336

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock

lots of patterns on etsy and the internet....time to make or have one made.
nothing exactly what you're looking for but I like the style of some of the patterns from this modern company:
http://www.decadesofstyle.com/vintage-patterns-1930s

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock

There is a big shoulder pad in there. I would say, if you have to make something or adapt a readymade dress, it's a 1" extended shoulder pad. That is the shoulder pad you'd need to buy. The dress itself also has what's called extended shoulder.

There might be some current or discontinued Vintage Vogue or Retro Butterick dress or blouse patterns that are acceptable substitutes for that dress.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A few options for vintage clothing generally - for those who have the time and money:

Vintage patterns http://www.sovintagepatterns.com/VINTAGE-GOWN-PATTERNS-_c_26.html

True vintage designer dresses http://www.thefrock.com/FW_page1_main.html

a few modern adaptations http://www.unique-vintage.com/2013-prom-dresses-brown-chiffon-modest-prom-dress-p-25742.html
http://www.newyorkdress.com/Frenchy/HFH6938.html

("modest prom dresses" or "modest gowns" might be good search terms to try)

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Ah, that's a lovely dress. You're going to have a hard time finding it though for the simple reason that there is almost certainly no pattern.

It appears to be a draped piece, which would be appropriate for an expensive gown of the period. To make a dress like that you start with the woman, or a model the same size, or one of those adjustable dress forms. You then sew a waistband from muslin and sizing onto the dress form and start pinning muslin and shoulder pads. Then you sew the muslin in place and try it on. Then you start over again with the expensive fabric.

It's not a particularly difficult skill and you might be able to find someone to do it for you.

Another complication is that it appears to be silk, which would also be appropriate for the period. Polyester can look a lot like silk when it's lying on the table, but it doesn't drape the same at all. If it is silk and you made the exact same dress in polyester it just would move or slinky or shimmy or glisten the same way. The bodice also appears to be bias cut, which makes a huge difference in the drape.

If you're interested you can probably find some period books on dress design on the Internet. This sounds like a lot of effort but the effects can be well worth it--think of Ginger Rogers in a gown that flows like water but moves like it has its own idea of what the dance steps should be.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Cluless|1382872090|3545495 said:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/155224610/vintage-black-chiffon-gown-w-attached?ref=shop_home_active

Ooh, that's a pretty dress Cluless!

I found a beautiful vintage dress (but from the 80's) that I wore last spring to my dh's work gala at the museum of natural history and it was a huge hit. In fact, most of my formal wear is vintage as is much of my everyday wardrobe. However I find good vintage is pretty expensive unfortunately though it's worth it if in good shape. I find my vintage in local shops in my neighborhood - do you have any vintage clothing boutiques near you? I find trying them on in person to be a big advantage.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I give up. I've tried attaching pictures which has crashed internet explorer and ate my reply 4 times now.

It's between the dress clueless found and a red dress I'll try to post pictures of later. My son has lot interest in signing time and I'm about to throw my computer across the room.

Thank you all so very much for your input and help. I'll post again later. But as of now it's taken me 45 minutes to write this-I've repiled to everyone and had very detailed repiles and copied to save the text just in case of crashes but IE won't save it if it crashes. Soooo now it's time to clean up the mess from moving the stairs and the roof this weekend and figure out what I'm doing for dinner.

I really want to reply again to all of you-thank you so much for taking the time to help me find a dress for the party. I'll hopefully be back shortly to show you the red dress that is one of the options-the other one is from clueless (LOVE that dress but it will need to be altered).

Hopefully this posts!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Photos while my computer is working and just before I put my son down :)

Should I go for this one or the black one from etsy? My DH gets the final say but I really like them both! Murder mystery is the theme this year :)

reddresskijiji_1.jpg

reddresskijiji2.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

vintagelover229|1382971612|3546116 said:

Should I go for this one or the black one from etsy? My DH gets the final say but I really like them both! Murder mystery is the theme this year :)

This one! Looks amazing! And the color is tdf and not the all common black if you kwim. It's gorgeous on you!

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Wow!

I love the black one -- it is so classic and elegant. It reminds me of all those old movies with the beautiful woman in the black dress :love:

I love the red one -- it is so NOT black! It is elegant and stunning and won't blend in to the sea of black dresses that will be around that evening. It reminds me of some of the mystery movies & series I've seen - the beautiful woman who comes asking the detective for help. :love:

Ummm....
Is there an option for buy both!?!?
Wear one for this party and one for the next?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the red fits the murder mystery theme well, but I LOVE the black dress. Reminded me of this:

images-3_1.jpg

Either way, you've got a winner!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy|1382972645|3546121 said:
vintagelover229|1382971612|3546116 said:

This one! Looks amazing! And the color is tdf and not the all common black if you kwim. It's gorgeous on you!

Thanks so much for the input :) I should add that the woman in the dress (who does look STUNNING in it btw) isn't me. It's the seller lol!

TooPatient said:
Wow!

I love the black one -- it is so classic and elegant. It reminds me of all those old movies with the beautiful woman in the black dress :love:

I love the red one -- it is so NOT black! It is elegant and stunning and won't blend in to the sea of black dresses that will be around that evening. It reminds me of some of the mystery movies & series I've seen - the beautiful woman who comes asking the detective for help. :love:

Ummm....
Is there an option for buy both!?!?
Wear one for this party and one for the next?

I WISH! If I had sold my burlesque costume I would be all over them both.

Since the red one is local I think I'll go for that one. I know the black one will haunt my dreams though :(( So would this red one but since it's cheaper AND since I don't need to deal with shipping that probably is best.

I do have an idea though-I'm sending an email to the seller to see if she'd be up for a trade.

Doubtful but never hurts to ask!

We just did part of the roof and moved stairs this weekend so I have quite the mess to clean up. I'll come back later!

ETA: I once had a dress made by an overseas vendor (that I found on weddingbee) after a cocktail dress sold on posh vintage. I'm having my dad send it up-we took it once it arrived to an alteration place and they said due to the construction of the dress that it was impossible to alter unless we took it apart and remade it. Here is the inspiration dress-I'll see if I can find the actual dress that was done by the vendor.

I'm having my dad ship that up just in case that place was wrong and see if we can get it altered to work :)

pb466____01.jpg

pb466___.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results