shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone sell your things on ebay? Hobby during cancer....

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Hi!

Do any of you have a mini-addiction to selling on ebay?? Since I am not working, in a new city, and unpacking, I started to notice I have SO MANY clothing (designer), and just things I do not need. So I started selling...with the fees, I make almost nothing but I enjoy the writing up and watching the bidding, am I alone in this???

MrsWhitney (aka UCLABELLE)

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have meant to start selling clothing on ebay or poshmark or somewhere. I have a bunch of unworn or worn-once clothing from decent brands and designers. I would like to make at least a few dollars a piece though and I'm not sure how to maximize that. I have certainly enjoyed selling on ebay the things I've previously sold there, but those were mostly perfumes where I could advertise on a perfume forum and have a built-in audience and a reasonable expectation of what I'd get. With clothes I have no idea.

bbziggy

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I have bought and sold on ebay over the years.Sometimes you can do very well on designer clothing or handbags. Shoes not so much.
I have bought designer handbags preloved and worn them for a bit and then put them back up on ebay . I am not a regular though. It goes in spurts when I get the urge to purge. Sometimes it is easier just to donate and take the tax deduction. It is fun though to watch your things being bid on. I agree with you MrsWhitney. Oh by the way I know you have moved to Knoxville. My sister lives in Knoxville for over 23 years now :) I love going there to visit!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I view ebay resale sort of like recycling. Instead of throwing out things or donating where stuff might end up in the dumpster anyway, someone willingly buys and uses what I no longer need. I recoup very little of original cost but at least stuff is not out there polluting the environment just yet.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's second-hand clothing that could be considered vintage, you could try Etsy.

MrsWhitney

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all...I spent today listing :) Since I moved, I realized I took a ton of things I did not need; more importantly, I have been reading a lot of pseudo self-help books, and with my health on the line, I realize I have a ton of stuff that is good (decent designer), that is NEVER used and I worry about 1) where to put it 2) when I will use it 3) is it going out of style soon....

So I found today therapeutic. I will try Etsy for some of the more vintage items....

One thing I dislike is I feel the fees went up? EBay plus PayPal fees??!?!?!

MishB

Brilliant_Rock
What an awesome idea. Clear out unwanted baggage for a new, fresh start, and maybe make a little pocket money.

I wish I'd thought of that!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your sale! Have you posted a link in the preloved section? That might be a good way to get some items sold because you know PSers love the bling. :halo:

Hoping your treatment is going smoothly and you are feeling well! :appl:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I won't sell on EBay any more after getting burned by a buyer REALLY bad. Buyers have a ridiculous amount of time to file a claim and make a return, so they can use your item for a while, claim something is wrong with it (like it's not authentic, etc.), and EBay protects their buyers in many cases. I ended up losing a lot of money on a brand new, designer item and learned my lesson the hard way:(
Have you seen Tradesy or Lollipuff? Tradesy is nice because you don't have to deal with potential returns from unhappy buyers (buyers can make returns, but it goes directly to Tradesy and you still get to keep the sale). Lollipuff only sells specific brands, but again, it's less hassle than EBay.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
momhappy|1433420645|3885034 said:
I won't sell on EBay any more after getting burned by a buyer REALLY bad. Buyers have a ridiculous amount of time to file a claim and make a return, so they can use your item for a while, claim something is wrong with it (like it's not authentic, etc.), and EBay protects their buyers in many cases. I ended up losing a lot of money on a brand new, designer item and learned my lesson the hard way:(
Have you seen Tradesy or Lollipuff? Tradesy is nice because you don't have to deal with potential returns from unhappy buyers (buyers can make returns, but it goes directly to Tradesy and you still get to keep the sale). Lollipuff only sells specific brands, but again, it's less hassle than EBay.

Nice to know that there are alternatives to ebay popping up, because the unchecked power of the buyer on ebay, while great if you are said buyer, is ridiculous for sellers.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Yes, that's been my experience with EBay too - they protect their buyers at the expense of their sellers. For me, it's just not worth it.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
I sold so much of my lululemon stuff on there this winter. I started the bidding low, but most of it went for close to what I paid, and a few items went for more.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
wildcat03|1433444037|3885196 said:
I sold so much of my lululemon stuff on there this winter. I started the bidding low, but most of it went for close to what I paid, and a few items went for more.

Which place did you sell your stuff? Its hard to tell if you meant ebay or one of the others.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1433449018|3885240 said:
wildcat03|1433444037|3885196 said:

Which place did you sell your stuff? Its hard to tell if you meant ebay or one of the others.

I just used Ebay. Didn't realize there were so many other options!

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
If you are selling designer stuff have you looked at https://poshmark.com

I know this is where I look when I can a hand bag or shoes. I NEVER shop eBay.

Just a though not sure on their fees

:bigsmile:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I went on to postmark for the first time and it seems like a neat site. However, does anyone know if they screen for authenticity? I noticed several listings for fake designer items and I wondered if Poshmark has any rules about authenticity? I know that Tradesy allows only authentic designer items and if a seller gets caught listing a fake, they are banned from the site.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
I used to dress my daughter like a little doll. I was working and she was my world. I became a SAHM for a brief 17 months once I had my next child, and found myself with mounds of clothes and not my own income to buy my husband a gift. He wanted a Playstation 3, (when they first came out and were impossible to find)..I wanted to buy him one in the worst way, but we didn't have the money without two incomes,so I sold my daughters gently worn clothes she had grown out of. I made a lot of money doing so, more than enough to buy him his PS3. And I found one. Seems silly now, but I was proud of it back then. That's when fees were minimal on eBay. And when I was married. Both of those things are history.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results