shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone Know Leslie Hindman Auction House?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
My BIL has paintings & jewelry of his mother's that he wants to sell. He is in Denver, where he found Leslie Hindman Auctions & asked if they are reliable. It's good stuff -- Cartier rings & Kandinsky paintings, etc. From their website, Leslie Hindman looks impressive -- has anybody had experience with them or know of them?

Thanks!

--- Laurie

gemmyblond

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I know the firm well (haven't bought/sold there, though) and know of her as well. She's been long-established in the Chicago/Upper Midwest area and is well-regarded there (based on what I've heard from friends there over the years and seen personally). Quite familiar with signed jewelry pieces; I don't know about artwork or silver, etc.

She built her firm up herself, then I believe sold it to someone, then started anew (using her name again) for a second time. I don't know about her reach or longevity in the Denver market, but I can say that in Chicagoland, she and her firm are reliable, well-regarded, and professional imho, and have a strong regional presence (again, just my opinion).

iLander

Ideal_Rock
I remember watching her TV show many years ago, "Leslie Hindman, At The Auction". It's mentioned on their wikipedia page. I think it was in the early '90's? They seemed very credible.

But I did recently go to one of their auction previews and thought the catalog photos were VERY much better than the actual products. Wood that looked like beautiful cherry in the catalog was a grungy brown in real life.

As a seller, I think they'd be fine, but as a buyer, I wouldn't buy without seeing the goods in real life.

You might also consider sending pictures to Christies and Sothebys, they are not as snooty as you would think. I've sent them pics over the years and they were very responsive and helpful with identifying items. They helped my grandmother with some paintings. The estimate was low (around $2K), so they declined her items, but they put the her in touch with the painter's family who were happy to pay her the estimated prices for the works. And it was nice to see them go to back to the family.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, iLander & Gemmyblond. Her website looks like she has sold some beautiful high-ticket stuff. Christie's & Sotheby's lower limit is $5K & my BIL doesn't think what he hasn't already sold will reach that. He says he wants to talk to somebody face to face -- tired of communicating by email & phone, so looked for auctioneers with offices in Denver. I suggested he check w/ C's & S's for when they do appraisal days there also.

This ring is the only piece that would probably be over 5K -- Cartier, not my style by a long way but it's beautifully made & the materials are excellent. Looks like part of the Tutti Frutti collection. Just discovered it's chalcedony. Somebody would love it -- or take it apart & re-set. There's also a Cartier man's watch whose face isn't in top shape, alligator strap, doubt it would be over that figure.

I love this because it's the cutest little thing. He didn't say (he has original purchase receipts for everything) but I assume the gem is a citrine.

There are a few others, a pearl necklace w/diamond clasp & a necklace with carved coral, couple of brooches -- probably all bought between the 30s & 60s.

Your info is helpful -- many thanks.

--- Laurie

p51800012.jpg

p51800213.jpg

p51800224.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
JF thanks for sharing pictures, those are some really interesting and pretty pieces. Best of luck to your BIL in selling them.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, LK. I think he just wants to get them off his hands & not get cheated. His & my sister's son is engaged to a woman they do not like, mainly because she's a self-centered crazy, & he says "she's not even gonna get a look at my mother's jewelry." Can't blame him.

--- Laurie

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Laurie - You might ask Denver Appraiser (Neal Beatty) whom he suggests. I don't know Neil - other than seeing his posts on the boards but he probably would have some insight into who in Denver is tops with auctions. I am in Denver and have seen a number of auction houses go under in the past few years. I know a few jewelers here who he could contact who would not cheat him - but I cannot say he would get top dollar from them either.

Cindy

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, yes, yes! My avatar was a treasure purchased through them last year. :appl: Alex Eblen, the director of jewelry (I believe that is his title) is from my small home town in central Illinois! My sister also has an eternity band purchased through them. Both pieces were exactly as described, and we were able to view them in person in the preview days before the auction. It is fun to watch the auctions, but it is unreal how high some of the items will go for. Many of the signed pieces go for well over the upper estimate. I have had only good experiences with them... as a seller, I know some pieces do have a reserve put on them, some sellers tell Hindman that people can make offers after the auction... I have been tempted to do that! As a buyer, I know I had to really factor in the 25% buyer's premium when I was bidding. Let me know what your BIL decides!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results