shape
carat
color
clarity

Anyone here ever been to a gem show?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I''m thinking about checking out The Great San Francisco Crystal show which is supposed to have rocks, gems and minerals. Do you people think this could be a good place to purchase gems?
-Kitten

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

I have not been to this particular gem show, but one thing I know is that one must be extra cautious at these shows. You should know what to look for and how much the thing should cost, even more than when going to retailers. If the show is intended for B to B only, so that sellers expect buyers to be relatively informed, things may get better, but I would not venture into a show without ALOT of homeworks done... These being said, shows are exciting places where you can see new things and especially compare a lot of merchandise. If this would be my first attempt to go to a show, I would at least leave my credit card at home the first days and explore, see some pieces and, with the risk to never see the gem of my life again, go home and check all that can be checked about who the sellers says he is. But the only reliable seller is the one who knows less than I about his merchandise! Well, I do not usually rely on meeting any of those...
sad.gif

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
Hi

I've been to a number of gem and jewelery shows, including the big NYC one at the Javits center.

It's been a while but I echo the above poster, you need to know before hand what you are looking for, and the comparative pricing. I've picked up a few literal 'gems' but, the fun is in the looking. For example it was the first time I'd seen bubble sheets of semi precious stones like amythyst, citrine, blue topaz, actually packed in rows of three, individually sealed in bubble packs, with a dozen calibrated stones to a sheet.

Amazing.

win

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Kitten,
I agree completely with the above posts. I frequent the gem and jewelry shows in the Washington, DC, area. Almost all my jewelry has been purchased at these shows, but I would not recommend anyone deal with these vendors without getting educated first. The more you know, the better your ability to make a sensible decision. The shows are also overwhleming with selection, and I would recommend spending your first show just looking with no intent to buy. Like Valeria said, leave your credit card at home! Once you've gotten an education and shopped a couple of shows, then you'll be ready to "deal." The prices at the shows can be exceptional if you know what you are doing. For me, the shopping, comparing, and negotiating is part of the fun. My husband laughs at me because I consider it a "sport."
16.gif

Have fun!

Diamondlil

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look what I found...

http://faycullen.com/discountedringscloseup2.php?id=470

Note: this is no advertisement. The itemis hardly representative for the source, and this seller has been commended before on this forum...

1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Wow you can really see the picture of my little cat T.C well now. His eyes are a little funny cause he's blind if you wondered why they look fuzzy. Isn't he cute!

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
I go to all the shows
1.gif
The grand daddy of them all is the Tuscon Gem show
1.gif
Feb
2nd.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results