shape
carat
color
clarity

anyone have a Mercedes???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
HI,

I recently bought a pre-owned Mercedes ML 430.....and I have a few questions for fellow owners out there....

OK, so these cars have got a warning light for everything....when you need an oil change, when you need brakes done, when you need tires rotated, etc....... and it will continuously flash, until you get the work done and the code is reset.

Do you always take it to the MB dealer to be serviced??? Or do you take it to anywhere thats less expensive???? I wanted to get an oil change.....MB dealer charges $110 for this....Penzoil 10 min Lube charges $70.....BUT, I dont think Penzoil has the computer/code thingy to get all those darn warning lights to stop flashing and shut off.

Is there a way a normal, not mechanically inclined person can reset the code after doing work on the car??? I need rear brakes and rotors and the dealer quoted me $565.00!!!! and another $110 to brake flush..

iiiyaaaaiiyyaaa, what have I gotten myself into????

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/5/2006 6:00:16 PM
Author:jetmal
HI,

I recently bought a pre-owned Mercedes ML 430.....and I have a few questions for fellow owners out there....

OK, so these cars have got a warning light for everything....when you need an oil change, when you need brakes done, when you need tires rotated, etc....... and it will continuously flash, until you get the work done and the code is reset.

Do you always take it to the MB dealer to be serviced??? Or do you take it to anywhere thats less expensive???? I wanted to get an oil change.....MB dealer charges $110 for this....Penzoil 10 min Lube charges $70.....BUT, I dont think Penzoil has the computer/code thingy to get all those darn warning lights to stop flashing and shut off.

Is there a way a normal, not mechanically inclined person can reset the code after doing work on the car??? I need rear brakes and rotors and the dealer quoted me $565.00!!!! and another $110 to brake flush..

iiiyaaaaiiyyaaa, what have I gotten myself into????

Hey Jetmal, I feel your pain. I used to drive a pre-owned Mercedes, and there was always something wrong with it. No, I never took it to the dealer to be serviced. My bf is in the auto repair business, and he says it''s okay to take it to any reputable mechanical shop. I took mine to Penzoil for oil changes, but they charged me $40. Maybe your car is a higher model, so they charge more? Don''t know...we never bring our cars to the dealer, they charge a lot for basic work. I would ask around for recommendations in your area and go from there.

HTH.

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
hello,

you should be fine taking that vehicle to any reputable repair shop. the quick lubes may not be able to reset your maintenance light(s), but if you happen to catch a knowledgable one even they should be able to help you out. you can also check your owners manual (or on-line forums if that fails) for the proper ways to reset your car's maintenance reminders, or talk to your chosen mechanic. the only light you will have problems resetting is your service engine soon light, that will need a special computer to diagnose and reset... that and possibly your tire pressure light, depending on which tire pressure system it is.

your oil change will be a little more expensive than most because mercedes typically hold more than 5 quarts of oil and require a special oil filter (commonly called an "internal" oil filter or "paper" filter).

the mercedes dealership will prove very expensive in the long run.

i manage a midas shop, one of my two "a" certified techs had his start and holds qualifications as a mercedes tech. the other is a ford/lincoln/mercury tech. both are ase certified etc. you may not find this everywhere but if you shop around and ask a couple of questions you should be able to find a local shop that will charge you significantly less than the dealership (typically 50-75% what a mb dealership wants) and have equally qualified individuals to work on your car.

for instance, your vehicles brake flush at my shop would cost $50 compared to the dealerships $110. identical service.

best wishes.

jetmal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ugh, thank you guys sooo much for replying!
well, I guess I will start hunting for a place to take it in....that way by the time its really ready for tghe brakes, hopefully I will have found someone....

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
My hubby hasn''t even had his MB long enough to have it serviced yet, but we live 180 miles from the nearest dealership so we darned well better be able to have the oil changed someplace else!

chansigrilian

Rough_Rock
depending on where you live, you should be able to save at least $100 over the dealership on the brake work. at my shop you''d probably be looking around $450 plus tax, worst case scenario. i''m estimating on the high side, i know what other mb jobs have cost our customers but i haven''t actually checked pad/rotor pricing for your application. best wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results