shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody use a Furminator on their pets?

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got one for Miss Maya - I was tired of ending up with a hand full of fur every time I petted her. I got the "cat" version since, well, that's what she is ;)) and I have to say it's very effective at pulling out that loose fur. The only other thing I've ever found that works with her smooth coat is a very fine-toothed flea comb, and the Furminator easily gets out 2 - 3X more fur with each stroke than the flea comb. Which is great, since she still hates to be groomed and only puts up with it for a short while!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No I heard it can cause skin irritation because of how the blades are (I think I remember reading they're kind of pointy/sharp)? (I'm guessing you're not finding this...)

I use the shedmonster and really like it.

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have two Furminators, one for my long haired cat and one for my Shepard-mix. (the poodle has her own grooming tools.) I've had them three or four months now, and so far am happy with the results. They definitely remove a lot more fur than other tools I've used. I haven't heard about the possibility of skin irritation, but will be on the lookout for that in the future.

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
I use one for my english bull terriers (so they have a short . single coat) and a ton of fur will come off of them. Just don't brush hard, you won't cause skin irritation that way. People have a tendency to brush with more pressure than necessary.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ - the tines do come to a fairly sharp point, and I can see how they could cause irritation. I started out using the same sort of pressure that I'd used with the flea comb, but then quickly figured out that Maya would probably tolerate less pressure better... which would allow me to groom for a bit longer and remove more of that loose fur. Not that she's fooled for long, of course! :wink2: Given her general crankiness, I suspect getting the most fur before her fuse runs out is key. It looks like the shedmonster might be slower but also gentler, which would have been optimal for my cats that enjoyed being groomed. I do like the pricepoint on the shedmonster a whole lot more than the that of the furminator!

I wish they'd some of these tools when my parents had their big dogs - a German Shepherd and a Norwegian Elkhound. My poor father would spend half an hour grooming one of those dogs and declare victory... only to watch my mother run the brush through their coats one more time and come up with another brush full of fur!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have used a Furminator on our cats for years without issue. Works really well. Use it gently and you shouldn't have a problem with skin irritation.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Used it on my Lab. Loved it! I would brush her outside because of the amount of hair that comes off.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, I never even heard of the furminator or the shedmonster. I am going to have to check these out because my furbabies shed constantly. I don't know how they aren't bald yet lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I expected there to be many responses from users, so I didn't rush to post when I first saw this thread. I have used one for years on my Newfoundland, Griffin. (I had never heard it might cause skin irritation so I didn't worry about it. It's a good thing, too, because for years Griffin had to see a dermatologist for allergies. The furminator never bothered him at all, though.) Newfies have two coats of fur, so it's probably hard to press too hard if one is just raking the fur for excess. I like it a lot. Obviously, I get the biggest one made since Griffin weighs 145 pounds.

Deb
:wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Hi Deb! Hug Griffin for me!

One of my cats hates hates to be groomed -- he won't sit still for brushing, no way, Jose, he says. So he barfs up furballs all over the house on my rugs (Petromalt makes him throw up too, so I gave up on that). Does the furminator make noise? I guess from your accounts, not enough to be scary, huh? I'll take a look at both of them.

I still use a double-coat rake on my Siberians, who blow coat all summer long -- it would be terrific to get more off so I didn't have to do it as often. They run ads for the furminator while you wait at the vet but I thought it might be noisy & scare them. No?

--- Laurie

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My pug sheds like crazy and I love the furminator. He loves getting any sort of attention so he likes to be groomed with it. I avoid his face and "sensitive areas" because it does look a little scary. I tried the knock off version because I just couldn't wrap my head around spending that much money on a brush but it wasn't nearly as good.

TC1987

Brilliant_Rock
I didn't buy a Furminator because they are expensive, but I've never heard anything but praise for them.

I have 4 cats. 2 have double coats. I use a shedding blade (looks like a hacksaw blade bent into a loop.) Those cats love it. Their fur is thick and I doubt that they can feel any teeth from the shedding blade. And if they do, they think it's a good back-scratching. They come running if I pick up that tool. and it costs a couple of dollars, and removes loads of hair.

The red tabby has thin angora-type fur, and I use an old nylon rat-tail comb on him. He can't tolerate any wire or metal tool. Hates brushes.

The gray cat has coarser hair, the texture of Siamese or Oriental, and he only likes the broom-bristle horse brush. I "broom" him with the horse brush, lol. He won't tolerate any other tool whatsoever.

So, the Furminator is a great fur remover, no doubt. But I suspect that there are some cats that will hate it no matter how one uses it.

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1406788843|3723609 said:
CJ - the tines do come to a fairly sharp point, and I can see how they could cause irritation. I started out using the same sort of pressure that I'd used with the flea comb, but then quickly figured out that Maya would probably tolerate less pressure better... which would allow me to groom for a bit longer and remove more of that loose fur. Not that she's fooled for long, of course! :wink2: Given her general crankiness, I suspect getting the most fur before her fuse runs out is key. It looks like the shedmonster might be slower but also gentler, which would have been optimal for my cats that enjoyed being groomed. I do like the pricepoint on the shedmonster a whole lot more than the that of the furminator!

I wish they'd some of these tools when my parents had their big dogs - a German Shepherd and a Norwegian Elkhound. My poor father would spend half an hour grooming one of those dogs and declare victory... only to watch my mother run the brush through their coats one more time and come up with another brush full of fur!

Yes, mine is so squirmy it's hard to get him to sit still. BUT - I do notice he likes the Shedmonster better and will allow me to groom him longer than when I used to use one of those regular rectangular brushes you get at the pet store.

I don't remember how much the Furminator was but I see several people have mentioned the price point...so I'm kind of happy I never even wanted to tried it. haha Although I am sure it probably does remove more fur than the Shedmonster. It's good to know though that none of you have experienced the skin irritation thing - you're probably right that it's due to people pressing too hard.

Oh - and if you're going to use your cats names we NEED to see a picture. ::)

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
I use one on my pekes. and agree with the not brushing too hard. I get excited seeing all that fur and can get a little overzealous --- but yeah, it's not necessary. I use a regular round hair brush on my pekes too. they love it.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
CJ2008|1406819003|3723747 said:
Oh - and if you're going to use your cats names we NEED to see a picture. ::)

Maya in her favorite pose - sleeping. (She's alive, honest she is!) Even though she's not a fluffy cat and her topcoat looks very smooth, she has a very fine undercoat that seems to shed constantly, and to stick to everything!

photo_1-3_0.jpg

JillyC

Shiny_Rock
I've used a furminator on my cats for several years. Works great, especially now that one is getting on in years and no longer grooms herself as thoroughly as she once did! I think she appreciates it. I use it about once a week unless it's coat shedding season, then I could use it daily.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
I love the furminator (actually I think I have one of the knock-offs but it's the same thing) and my dog loves it too. He's a shiba inu-husky cross which means fur EVERYWHERE, ALL YEAR LONG. Summers are the worst, he's constantly having small chunks fall out. He loves getting his coat brushed but it's difficult to brush him because he rolls around in ecstasy. I brush him outside because the brush takes out so much hair, it gets everywhere.

I agree, people need to post pictures of their pets if they're going to talk about them! Bring it on!

My little guy:

_20906.jpg

_20909.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
That thing is a true god send!!! I use it on both of my dogs and notice a significant decrease in shedding in my English bulldog. It always blows my mind how much hair it gets out!! Holy cow!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So cute!!!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG VR she is SO cute. She's so tiny! Adorable.

And maccers your puppy is such a cutie pie! So cute.

amc80

Ideal_Rock
I have one for my Ragdolls. The amount of hair I can get off of them is amazing- enough to build a whole new cat.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Autumnovember|1406838309|3723976 said:
my bully:

GAH! Adorable! Autumnovember, you should post more pics of your bully. Name?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
maccers|1406904961|3724447 said:
my bully:

Oh, I have so many funny ones! His name is Pumbaa :) Warhog from Lion King!

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Autumnovember|1406924542|3724609 said:
maccers|1406904961|3724447 said:
my bully:

Oh, I have so many funny ones! His name is Pumbaa :) Warhog from Lion King!

So so cute AN! (how come we never get tired of fur baby pictures? :rodent:)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results