shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody Have a Button Maker?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
My DD would like a button maker (she's over 12, so no kid-crafting difficulties) for Xmas, but I don't want one of those cheesy ones that make "buttons" with plastic borders around them.

Does any have/would recommend one that makes "professional" looking buttons, buttons like you buy in novelty stores?

I've been all over the net, but can't figure out what the final results look like . . .

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This company will send you two sample buttons when you order a "Free" catalog.

This is a professional level machine - so its not as cheap as the plastic ones (but still reasonable cost) - but I believe you would be more than satisfied with it.

http://www.buttonbiz.com/button-maker.htm

Perry

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I do! I have a 1" button maker, it looks just like the one Perry linked to.

I bought mine at least eight years ago. It was $250, it came with the button maker and parts for 1,000 buttons.

The set for $350 in that link looks like a good deal because it comes with a punch. I just bought a $10 1.25" punch that is slightly smaller than 1.313" that you need for a *perfect* size, so the negative is that sometimes my buttons look a teensy bit off center.

It makes professional buttons. I buy a lot of buttons, and can't see a difference between the ones I make and the ones I buy.

Your daughter will love it!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some pictures of finished buttons:
Buttons2.jpg
buttonscloseup.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven - what an incredible collection of buttons and graphic images! Do you make them for their own sake (as little works of art) or do you use them for some other purpose?

(I have to admit that when iLander posted her question, I assumed she was talking about buttons to be used for sewing. :rolleyes: )

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, VR!

I make about 100 buttons every two to four months and attach them to my office door at work so students can take them. I usually make the buttons when I have a reading or writing event to promote, so the buttons draw them to my office door and then they're more likely to see my posters about the event. Or if I'm there I give them handouts. :devil:

The buttons I posted are part of a collage I'm nearly finished creating. I spent a year (or two) collecting the images from magazines, made 1200 buttons, and then arranged them on a 24" by 48" canvas starting with dark red in the upper left hand corner. (It's really cool--dark red to light red to light orange to dark orange to dark yellow . . . ) I need to create about 300 more buttons to complete the collage. This last corner is going to be all numbers and letters, and I haven't decided how I'm going to arrange them color-wise. It's looking pretty awesome, if I do say so myself . . .

I've used the button maker for a ton of other things, too. It's a really fun toy!

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That sounds so cool - would you mind sharing some images with us?

iLander - there is a thread on Etsy discussing Button Makers right now (under techniques)

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1291569195|2787908 said:
I do! I have a 1" button maker, it looks just like the one Perry linked to.

I bought mine at least eight years ago. It was $250, it came with the button maker and parts for 1,000 buttons.

The set for $350 in that link looks like a good deal because it comes with a punch. I just bought a $10 1.25" punch that is slightly smaller than 1.313" that you need for a *perfect* size, so the negative is that sometimes my buttons look a teensy bit off center.

It makes professional buttons. I buy a lot of buttons, and can't see a difference between the ones I make and the ones I buy.

Your daughter will love it!

Awesome Haven - all of you buttons and what you do with them.

But, if iLander wishes to make her daughter feel special - get the 1.25 or 1.5" buttons (because so many have the 1").

Also, I think the Graphic Punch is worth the money. That will make it much easier.

Have a great day,

Perry

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm not sure what size is best for Ilander's daughter, but I chose the 1" because around here, kids think 1" buttons are very cool, while anything larger is VERY uncool. Something to think about!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Should I pop some popcorn for the "Great Button Debate of 2010?" :lol:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Davi: :cheeky: :bigsmile:

I'm just sharing what I know. The kids around here go crazy over my 1" buttons, but they do not wear the larger ones. It's very strange.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Haven|1291585680|2788175 said:
Davi: :cheeky: :bigsmile:

I'm just sharing what I know. The kids around here go crazy over my 1" buttons, but they do not wear the larger ones. It's very strange.
I think that's probably right. At that age I would pin small ones to my backpack or purse, but never the big ones.

And I want to be your student Haven!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haven|1291581564|2788111 said:
Thanks, VR!

I make about 100 buttons every two to four months and attach them to my office door at work so students can take them. I usually make the buttons when I have a reading or writing event to promote, so the buttons draw them to my office door and then they're more likely to see my posters about the event. Or if I'm there I give them handouts. :devil:

The buttons I posted are part of a collage I'm nearly finished creating. I spent a year (or two) collecting the images from magazines, made 1200 buttons, and then arranged them on a 24" by 48" canvas starting with dark red in the upper left hand corner. (It's really cool--dark red to light red to light orange to dark orange to dark yellow . . . ) I need to create about 300 more buttons to complete the collage. This last corner is going to be all numbers and letters, and I haven't decided how I'm going to arrange them color-wise. It's looking pretty awesome, if I do say so myself . . .

I've used the button maker for a ton of other things, too. It's a really fun toy!

Wonderful ideas, all! :appl: How old are your students?

I trust you'll share the collage with us when it's finished! :wink2:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Wow, guys, this is a big help!

I am trying to get through the ETSY thread, thanks, Lady Disdain! :wavey: (I would be through by now, but PS keeps calling me back ;)) )

Haven, your students are EXTREMELY lucky to have you!

I think 1" is the way to go on the buttons, she buys a lot of little 1" buttons and seems to like them.

However, I'm not sure she wants to see such a large chunk of her gift budget spent on the button maker. I suspect for over $300, she'd rather have a better stereo or something glitzy like that.

Is there a cheap (under $50) button maker that works okay? I've seen the one with little plastic rings around the buttons, but that one seems a little lame for her age.

perry

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ilander:

I ask you to reconsider....

A $50 dollar button maker is not going to work as well - or look as good. They also won't last as long.

One thing that personally bothers me is how people skimp on things.... Cheaper - always cheaper... It has an effect beyond just price.

Here is an example: Some years ago a friend asked me if I'd help him put together a telescope for for his son; knowing that I used to build amateur telescopes and that some of my photography is being used by the UW Wisconsin Astronomy Department as standard "slides" for their astronomy classes.

I volunteered to help - and explained that the way to do it was to put together a parts kit so his son could build his own telescope - and focus on high quality optics. I offered to help his son build that telescope.

Well the dad did not see the value in that - or why he should spend several hundred dollars on just a single mirror, and another 50 on a lens - and then a bunch of relatively crude parts. Afterall - he could buy a fully assembled telescope for about $90 - which is what he did.

Of course - that $90 telescope had lousy optics, and a lousy mount - and his son quickly gave up on it (I looked through it - and it wasn't even suitable for looking at the girls next door - blurry and unsteady). I tried talking to his son about astronomy and the interest that existed before christmas was gone.

My first telescope came as a 4 1/4" mirror, an eyepiece lens, and a diagonal mirror, and a book on how to build a telescope. It took me about 5 months to turn that into a telescope - and it had better optics than a $500 telescope of its day. Several years later I helped a friend build his telescope (he supplied the optics and much of the labor - I supplied the know how). When he unveiled his 8" reflector to the local astronomy club everyone marveled at it - and everyone also pronounced it to have a superior image to the rich kids $2500 telescope (this was back in about 1973 when $2500 would buy a new small car). His cost for the optics was on the order of $150.

I have seen the same pattern repeat itself over and over. Give kids junk and they quickly loose interest. Give them something of quality that can do something really well.... and their interest may take off.

In this case - with the button maker. Your daughter could easily make the cost back just by producing and selling buttons . Its a chance not only to give your daughter something that will produce really good results - but also the chance to teach her about business and how to make money. If your daughter doesn't use it - then either you could, or it could be donated to support a worthy cause.

In the end, we all have to learn to shake the money tree to earn an income. Don't miss out on the opportunity to teach your daughter about that aspect of life as well.

Of course - in the end you will do what you will do. But, I had to try.

In my experience: buying quality virtually always pays off.

Have a great day,

Perry

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Hi Perry :wavey:

Thanks for taking the time to write so much, I appreciate it.

I agree with you, that you should buy a quality product if a teen shows a serious interest in a certain direction. Her interest is in music, and I've supplied her with top of the line instruments for the last few years. Professional level stuff that will serve her well her entire life.

If her interest was in button makers, I wouldn't hesitate to buy her top of the line, no problem.

She knows a lot about running a business, we have had a family business for over 20 years, and if she had an inclination to sell these buttons, I would be ALL over that, trust me.

But this is just a little side item, that she mentioned in passing, the way she mentions a new CD or a T-shirt. I don't want the spending on this item to be disproportionate to her interest level.

It is actually my desire to avoid shoddy merchandise that prompted me to start this thread, so you and I are basically on the same wavelength.

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
perry|1291689769|2789485 said:
One thing that personally bothers me is how people skimp on things.... Cheaper - always cheaper... It has an effect beyond just price.

In this case - with the button maker. Your daughter could easily make the cost back just by producing and selling buttons . Its a chance not only to give your daughter something that will produce really good results - but also the chance to teach her about business and how to make money. If your daughter doesn't use it - then either you could, or it could be donated to support a worthy cause.

You're making two assumptions here that are way off:

1. That EVERYONE can just run out and spring $300 on what is essentially a toy.
2. That EVERYONE can make money by making and selling something.

Both put your foot in your mouth. This is a teenager. This is something she wants to do for fun, for herself, maybe her friends. I doubt she is thinking about selling them, and at 50 cents a pop if she's lucky, she certainly won't get rich. It will take eons for her to even make the money back for what the machine cost. Plus, the majority of kids are fickle - she could lose interest in a week.

And why should iLander dump the change for something that may be a passing fancy? As she mentioned (as I was typing this), that is all it was.

iLander, I did a quick search. I found this:
http://www.ecrater.com/p/7920266/1-4-badge-a-minit-button-maker-machine

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
My DD has had a good quality button maker since HS, and she has more than made the money back selling buttons. She sometimes goes with a friend who gets a table at a local craft show, and will display some of her art. The buttons are a consistent seller that a lot of folks will buy, while the art is more expensive and sells slower. My daughter had shown a strong and on-going interest in art by the time she was your daughter's age. The button maker was another way to explore her artistic side, and she had a lot of fun with it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results