shape
carat
color
clarity

Anybody Ever Work in an ER or Emergency Services?

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This has been bothering me for a long while, thought I'd take a shot at someone here knowing the answers.

I'm allergic to several medications and pain killers (amoxicillan, codeine, morphine, percocet, nitrous oxide, Tylenol). They cause contra-reactions in me, ranging from hysteria to shock.

If I get in a car accident, and I'm passed out, what is the go-to pain killer that they would give me? My fear is that I die from meds before my family can show up and explain. :rolleyes:

Is this a possibility?

Also, second question; my DH has diabetes, if they give him a glucose IV won't that put him into a diabetic coma?

Final question; where do the med techs look for your emergency info? Or do they even look anywhere? Would they look on my phone? I could put it on my home page.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've worked in a metro ED.

Forgive me for parsing what you posted, but hysteria is an intolerance as opposed to an allergy, just to let you know. It'd be a real inconvenience for the staff there and terribly uncomfortable for you but you would not die from it. Shock is serious and its good you recognize it thusly.

Are you wearing a medic alert bracelet for your medication allergies?

I worked for Mayo Clinic Arizona. If you were a patient at the Clinic, your allergies were already in the electronic medical record (EMR) and were seen when your name and patient number were input into the EMR.

In the area where you live, contact the local hospital/s where you might be taken if you were in an accident and give them your contact information, advanced directives/medical Power of Attorney and your allergies list and your medication list.

The hospital the paramedics take you to would first be the center that can treat your level of injury and the next criterion is the closest center. So prognosticate which hospital based on that.

Talk to your internist about this; there may be something done in your area (I'm trying to remember, is your location Florida?) to address this. Give all this information to the hospital where he/she has admitting privileges.

In my location, the paramedics or fire fighters who come to your house are trained to look for an envelope on your fridge or thereabouts that contains your meds list, allergies list, name of your doc and name of your medical POA and any advanced directives. Some people put a copy in their purse (women). Somtimes the paramedics will check your cell phone for an ICE (In Case of Emergency) listing on your contacts listings.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
This is good info to know, azstonie!

I was afraid the hysterical incidents were a sign of a potentially bigger problem if I was unconscious. I actually beat on and yelled at the dentist when I was coming out of molar surgery. I didn't know I was doing it until I became fully awake after 10 minutes. Poor guy. :bigsmile:

I don't wear any alert jewelry (ick! Where would the diamonds go?) but I think I will find a bright yellow envelope for my purse and put the info on it and in it, including my doctor's name and number. Also, will contact hospitals, excellent idea.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
iLander, design your own bracelet!
bling it out!
and wear it.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
ILander, it sounds like both you and your husband should be wearing either a medic alert necklace or bracelet. My husband wears one daily under his shirts. No one know he has it on.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Calliecake|1423586706|3830291 said:
ILander, it sounds like both you and your husband should be wearing either a medic alert necklace or bracelet. My husband wears one daily under his shirts. No one know he has it on.

+1. I just don't know that I'd be comfortable assuming the EMTs would think to root around in my purse looking for that info. They might but personally I wouldn't risk it.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
In addition to the suggestions here, you may want to consider an Advanced Directive (living will) and filing a copy with your lawyer or person you trust to make healthcare decisions on your behalf. You can note allergies in the document as well as overall treatment requirements and your wishes about extraordinary measures and such. Some hospitals will maintain a copy on file. Every state is different, so check your local laws with respect to living wills/advanced directives.

Good luck!

LuckyKelleyK

Shiny_Rock
iLander|1423583343|3830250 said:
This has been bothering me for a long while, thought I'd take a shot at someone here knowing the answers.

I'm allergic to several medications and pain killers (amoxicillan, codeine, morphine, percocet, nitrous oxide, Tylenol). They cause contra-reactions in me, ranging from hysteria to shock.

If I get in a car accident, and I'm passed out, what is the go-to pain killer that they would give me? My fear is that I die from meds before my family can show up and explain. :rolleyes:

Is this a possibility?

Also, second question; my DH has diabetes, if they give him a glucose IV won't that put him into a diabetic coma?

Final question; where do the med techs look for your emergency info? Or do they even look anywhere? Would they look on my phone? I could put it on my home page.

in response to your question about the glucose, in an emergency situation it would be unlikely they would give your husband dextrose unless he actually did have low blood sugar. When giving dextrose like that they monitor blood sugar frequently.

Oh and btw if you were unconscious they would probably not be giving you any pain meds. If you were screaming in pain it would probably be dilaudid, morphine, or fentanyl

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asscherhalo_lover|1423590553|3830330 said:
I would absolutely find a way to wear medic alert on my person, I think an ID bracelet or necklace can be done very nicely.

Definitely. Even if it isn't something you want to wear as jewelry or whatever, you could still find a way to wear it on your person, either in a silk travel pouch around your neck, in a sewn-in pocket in your bra, or in a pocket. My dad hates jewelry but it's necessary that he wear medic alert tags, so he carries them on a chain in his pocket with his change.

I would not rely on carrying a list in your handbag. What if you are separated from your belongings and there is nothing the medics can even search, assuming they actually did? I'm sure they make every effort, but sometimes I'm sure it just isn't possible.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd wear alert jewelry anyway-it's your life/health, you know? If it's in your purse, and your purse gets tossed out the window in an accident or you walk out the door w/out it, then what? I'd hate the thought of the responders needing to take time out to rifle thru your purse, pockets etc, to see if you have any allergies or conditions, when they could just lift a sleeve or look for a necklace chain.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1423587539|3830295 said:
Calliecake|1423586706|3830291 said:

+1. I just don't know that I'd be comfortable assuming the EMTs would think to root around in my purse looking for that info. They might but personally I wouldn't risk it.

And not only that, but in an emergency situation like an accident, a purse might not even be readily available (it might be thrown from the scene, buried in wreckage, etc.). I also suggest wearing some sort of bracelet, etc. if it's medically necessary.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
tennis bracelet could be converted.....

diamonds could be imbedded into a tag....

I believe you can make this work to your advantage bling-wise, iLander!

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After I had a serious medical emergency a few years ago (was unable to speak or write), my doctor suggested I make up a medical emergency card and keep it in my wallet with my health card. I did it on my printer and It has all my meds listed, allergies, medical diagnoses, my doctors, my emergency contact info etc. I made it the same size as a credit card with the med symbol very clear on the front side (card is printed front and back) with a red border so it's eye catching and obvious to medics etc. I went to Staples and had it laminated and made extra copies for my family members. I also attached a card on a necklace when I was out walking etc and not bringing my purse. This little card has come in very handy ever since. I just hand it to doctors etc when needed and they have all the info right away. This is something easy for you to do, is very practical and will give you peace of mind.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you google "medical alert jewelry" you'll see that there's a whole industry out there providing fashion jewelry alternatives to the old steel medic alert bracelet. Here's one line that looks pretty extensive: http://www.laurenshope.com/. Some of this is inexpensive enough that you could have a whole wardrobe - or you could have interchangeable bracelets made to go with your personal medical description tag. You could even have a charm made for each condition, and wear a medic alert charm bracelet (as long as there's also something to let the medics know that's what it is! There are also very nice looking titanium bracelets out there for men.

Less than 1 1/2 years ago my brother was a hospital ER where he should just have been treated for dehydration (a response to chemo-induced nausea) and a doctor decided to also treat for a blood clot he spotted in his leg. This was at my brother's regular hospital, one of the ten highest-ranked hospitals in the country. Had the doctor checked my brother's records -which he apparently did not - he would have seen a history of stomach issues and might not have given him massive amounts of blood thinners - which caused a stomach bleed which led to him being intubated... and cascaded into eight months in the hospital. During which time we nearly lost him more than once (a couple of procedures gone wrong, and he contracted a medicine-resistant infection). He's still being fed via a stomach tube, the result of one of the complications from that time. If you have a condition for which a simple medical error or oversight might turn fatal... I wouldn't count on the medical staff taking the time search through records to figure it out.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, if you are traveling abroad you should keep a list of the meds you are taking with the generic and brand names and dosage. My hubby had to be hospitalized in USSR and they had a heck of a time figuring out the drug names.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
This topic is almost a month old, but I wanted to chime in. I work in an emergency department and have for almost 6 years. There are VERY few places we look for information in a true emergency. Why? We're too busy trying to save your life.

- If registration can identify the person and they have a previous record we'll be able to pull up information from our electronic medical record and use that. HOWEVER, this record is only as good as it is updated. I am in a large inner city area with many hospitals. If someone happened to see us once 10 years ago, but mostly goes to one of the other hospitals in the area, their record and allergies may not be up to date.
- A medic alert bracelet or Road ID.
- Family who is immediately available and calm enough to give information. If they aren't, I'll have social work try to help and hopefully get information in a few minutes

We will not look through your purse or your pants pockets for information for a few reasons. Hospital staff are often accused (usually wrongly) of stealing from people who are incapacitated. We try to avoid going through people's personal belongings. Also, we don't have time if we are actively trying to save your life.

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My brother was just taken to the hospital unconscious this week. He was found in a parking lot or on a sidewalk and no one knew him. I think it was a paramedic checked his wallet for ID but that was it. I asked when I picked him up and was told that they will check a wallet for ID and (later when there is time) may check the emergency contacts on your cell phone.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TooPatient|1425664321|3842878 said:
My brother was just taken to the hospital unconscious this week. He was found in a parking lot or on a sidewalk and no one knew him. I think it was a paramedic checked his wallet for ID but that was it. I asked when I picked him up and was told that they will check a wallet for ID and (later when there is time) may check the emergency contacts on your cell phone.

I'm sure this is a vastly stupid question but in this day and age of finger print unlock functions and PINs how do they get into your phone for this info? I know my phone has a "make emergency call" function that bypasses the finger print and PIN so maybe that allows them to call your emergency contact that way? (Sorry if everyone else already knows how this works, but I've always wondered an never asked!)

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dee*Jay|1425666301|3842903 said:
TooPatient|1425664321|3842878 said:

I'm sure this is a vastly stupid question but in this day and age of finger print unlock functions and PINs how do they get into your phone for this info? I know my phone has a "make emergency call" function that bypasses the finger print and PIN so maybe that allows them to call your emergency contact that way? (Sorry if everyone else already knows how this works, but I've always wondered an never asked!)

I don't know about all phones, but mine has an "emergency call" button on the lock screen. That takes you to the list of emergency numbers. You can go to your contact list and add people as "emergency contact" and anyone you have added shows up on that list and can even be called from there without needing your pin.

ETA: Mine also has a personal info section in that emergency call section so they can get some of your important details. I STILL haven't figured out how to work that part though...

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just going to chime back in and say that the advice offered seems to be based somewhat on where you live. We have provincial health cards in Canada and in Ontario (can't speak for other provinces) they do look for them in an emergency because our hospital records are digital and can be accessed from any provincial hospital (at least in theory!) Our provincial ministry of health is now advertising that anyone with allergies, medical conditions etc get the new free supplemental card that contains all this additional info in case you're injured and not able to speak for yourself. It might be overkill but for peace of mind why not keep this medical info in your cell phone, in your wallet and wear a medical alert bracelet. Chances are better that at least one of them will be noticed.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont work in Emergency but did in the past. If you came in unconscious from an accident, they wouldn't automatically give you pain medication unless your body was reacting to what might be assessed as pain response..ie: elevated pulse, blood pressure, agitation. A lot of facilities follow their own procedure, meaning not all hospitals follow one universal method. The hospital where I worked used Fentanyl ( synthetic) for pain control. Some hospitals might use Morphine. I suggest you have a bright piece of paper in your purse with your allergies written on it. Put it on your phone too so that you will have your info in one spot should you be admitted. I know a lot of paramedics that would do a sweep in pockets & purses looking for information. Mind you, they dont spend a lot of time doing this, seconds really because they need to attend the patient. If wearing a ID bracelet or necklace isn't going to work for you, how about a small medallion type you can have clipped on your watch? Maybe have something custom made with a large lobster clasp that could clip on to the lugs or buckle of your watch, charm bracelet, wallet etc..That way you can move it around with your jewelry.

As for glucose water for your DH, glucose wouldnt be the 1st type of solution he would get. If not normal saline or a combination of salt & sugar water (2/3 & 1/3), would most likely be Lactated Ringers which is a volume expander. A lot of accident victims could have internal bleeding & have blood loss not seen. LR is very common in the Emerg. There isn't enough glucose in 2/3 & 1/3 to make a significant change to blood sugar levels.

There is a lot of science that I'm not explaining. Is pretty complicated. What you need is to have some kind of identifying feature (list, medic alert tags) that identify your allergies.

:))

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys, this is very helpful!

Here's a thought/question :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

What about some kind of tag on my bra? I could get custom cloth tags made and sew them in the spot between the cups.

Do ER workers generally take your shirt off? On TV, they seem to always rip the shirt off, even if you're just waiting in the waiting room. :lol:

Just kidding, but would that work?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can think of instances when you might be taken unconscious to an ER and your blouse wouldn't be removed and even if it was someone might not take the time to check you bra tag because they were involved in saving your life.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they'd just cut off the bra and not pay attention to any sort of label or tag.

Have you thought about a tattoo?

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Clothes are cut off. In an emergent situation where they will attach monitoring leads & get an IV in for fluids/medication administration, no time to deal with flailing limbs & a flopping head.

Apart from a tattoo...there really isn't much unless you wear a medical alert tag of some sort.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I understand the aversion to having to wear jewelry that you haven't carefully selected and curated etc. etc., but this is your LIFE you're talking about. Surely that warrants some small concessions to function over form?

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
iLander|1426253935|3846563 said:
Thank you guys, this is very helpful!

Here's a thought/question :wavey: :wavey: :wavey:

What about some kind of tag on my bra? I could get custom cloth tags made and sew them in the spot between the cups.

Do ER workers generally take your shirt off? On TV, they seem to always rip the shirt off, even if you're just waiting in the waiting room. :lol:

Just kidding, but would that work?

Like moviezombie said, I wouldn't count on them checking there. Get a bracelet or necklace with your medical info. As others mentioned, you can bling it out. If your question is what is the most likely scenario in which your life could be saved knowing you have these allergies, the answer is a by wearing a medic alert jewelry. They aren't going to go through your phone, they aren't going to go through your purse (you might not have it on you in a given emergency) and they may not remove your clothing. If you're legitimately concerned, get a bracelet (like one of the nicer ones that have been recommended).

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it would be more..."standard" I guess, more typical, to have a bracelet or necklace/pendant of some sort. And I think we really need to *have* that b/c otherwise, I can't imagine being a first responder and being like ok, so bracelet, nope, necklace, nope, on the watch, nope, shoot where's the phone, damn, ok, any tattoos, is there anything in her purse, dammit ok, strip her down, lets check her pockets, is there something in her shoe or sock, ok, look in her bra. I'd rather a quick scan for typical/standard emergency bracelet/necklace rather than have to run thru a gamut of 17 different spots there *could* be identifying or life saving information. Seconds count. You would want that info to be front and center if it's something that could potentially save your life.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results