Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
It is one of my favorite dishes.

I am very lucky that my DW can make it.

:)

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Oohh, yummy, I love pho. Sometimes I get the urge for it and it just doesn't let up until I get a nice, hot, steamy bowl...

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I've never tried it but want to. If you know of a place that has good vegetarian Pho, feel free to post. (New York, Seattle, San Francisco or Portland, Oregon)

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS Admin|1325097285|3090148 said:
It is one of my favorite dishes.

I am very lucky that my DW can make it.

:)
hehe you are making us jealous Andrey! :wavey: :cheeky: YUM

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
I don't think restaurant pho are all that healthy for you. I am pretty sure most places use MSG.

My MIL makes pho at home.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bella_mezzo|1325042202|3089743 said:
:lickout: Love it! Vegetarian Pho, vegetable rice crepe, and iced tea...YUM!!!

Anyone know a great place in NYC? I had several places I loved in Boston, but haven't found awesome Vietnamese in NYC yet (even though i've lived here for 6 years :cheeky: )

Bella, where did you have pho in Boston? I've never had it and I'd love to try it.

mol42

Shiny_Rock
I :love: pho!!!
There is a place in town called "What the Pho?"

Cracks DH and me up.

star sparkle

Brilliant_Rock
mol42|1325111762|3090334 said:

Cracks DH and me up.

Along this line, there's a place here called "Pho King." I laugh every time I see it. :lol:

(And for the record, I've never had pho. You all make it sound yummy, though!)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I love pho. I like it from the restaurant because I can order fried eggrolls dip them in the yummy broth and eat them together. I have made pho at home though, it's pretty tasty, especially when I make oxtail pho :appl:

I miss it so much when I'm on a lo-carb diet. I have been known to bring my own lo-carb noodles (shiraki) to pho restaurants and asked them to substitute the pho rice noodles, but it's just not the same!!

mrs taylor

Brilliant_Rock
I actually find kelp noodles work better as a sub for the rice noodles in Pho.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Andrey, it's very nice to see you post something personal :)

One thing I noticed here in Vietnam, they use coriander aka cilantro in it too.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
This thread is killing me...I'm making hubs bring home pho for dinner tonight!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
it's been almost 10 years since I lived in Boston (i am totally in denial about that!) I loved the Pho and rice crepe at Pho Pasteur in Boston :lickout: We used to get it at a couple other places too in boston and newton, but I can't remember their names now...I'll post again when I remember...:)

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
star sparkle|1325114056|3090355 said:
mol42|1325111762|3090334 said:

Cracks DH and me up.

Along this line, there's a place here called "Pho King." I laugh every time I see it. :lol:

(And for the record, I've never had pho. You all make it sound yummy, though!)

I get it! Now I won't toss my 18 year old out on the lawn when he says he's had "Pho".

cheers--Sharon

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bella_mezzo|1325042202|3089743 said:
:lickout: Love it! Vegetarian Pho, vegetable rice crepe, and iced tea...YUM!!!

Anyone know a great place in NYC? I had several places I loved in Boston, but haven't found awesome Vietnamese in NYC yet (even though i've lived here for 6 years :cheeky: )

Yelp led me to Xe Lua in NYC Chinatown. The reviewers stated that Xe Lua does not use MSG, which i think is true, since I have a tendency to get an unquenchable thirst after consuming food with MSG, and that didn't happen at Xe Lua. Xe Lua is more of an "upscale" pho place - there is a host that takes you to your table, there is interesting tropical scenery painted on the walls and a little land bridge in the restaurant. The bathroom is cleaner than other pho places in the city too (bonus!). It ends up costing you about $0.50 more for those amenities - totally worth it, especially if you're taking some out of towners to try some pho!

I'm patiently waiting for Phoenix's recipe!!!

Also, for grilled pork over the curly rice noodles (bun?) with peanuts, cucumbers, etc. and I like to get the noodle dish with spring rolls added in with the pork, nothing beats Thai son in NYC Chinatown. The pork is marinaded SO perfectly - I used to alternate between pho with beef and the pork+spring rolls+noodles dish. I don't know what it is.... I even went to a Brooklyn branch that was under the same ownership - it just didn't taste quite the same. Mmmm...I don't miss the job in the city, but I sure miss the food! :lickout:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
mrs. taylor|1325095551|3090127 said:
you and me both! I make it for my mother often in the winter, though not skillfully I'm sure! She has leukemia and the holy basil is wonderful for respiratory infections. She gets them often as a result of her immunosuppressed state. Every time she starts coughing I go to the market to get the fixins for Pho. With extra holy basil!

Oh Mrs. Taylor - your mom is so lucky to have such a wonderful daughter like you! :saint: I bet your pho comes out great! :appl: I'm so glad you noted the benefits of the holy basil - yet another reason to consume pho in the winter while my co-workers are all coming down with all sorts of interesting maladies...

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
being Vietnamese, Pho is an absolute staple in my diet! it really is one of the most amazing dishes since it's so simple (rice noodles and slices of meat in a hearty broth), yet so complex in flavors. i really love the fact that everyone preps their bowl in a different way. i load mine up with bean sprouts, Thai basil and a squeeze of lime juice. i don't add the Sriracha and hoisin sauce since i like my broth clean, but i have it on the side to dip the meat in.

TravelingGal had it right with the phonetic spelling of "fuh", but it's difficult to write out the correct pronunciation. the way i pronounce it, the "uh" part is dragged out a little bit longer with an up-pitch at the end (like you're asking a question).

my dream is to open a 24 hour pho restaurant and call it "Twenty-Pho Seven". :naughty:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
I've only had it at one place by me thats called "Pho Palace," and it was just ok. I gotta try it at some other places to really decide. I thought it was lacking in flavor a bit.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Skippy|1325089844|3090033 said:
Phoenix|1325087343|3090004 said:
I love it too and so does DH. I'm originally from Vietnam and have been taught by my mom how to make the most delicious Pho. I shall try and post a recipe when I get home (we're having our holiday in VN now actually :)) ).

Yay, can't wait; I am so EXCITED :appl: :appl:

I get home tonight though I prob won't be able to post the recipe until some time next week. FYI, for those who mentioned being thirsty after eating pho, that's def a sign of MSG being used. I use absolutely NO MSG in my recipe (that stuff is so bad for you), just natural goodness! :halo: :wink2:

Pho is actually very easy to make, it just needs a bit of patience since it takes a few hours - beef pho that is. Chicken pho is a lot easier. You all should try and make it. Once you've made your own, there's no going back!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cehrabehra|1325095950|3090130 said:
Phoenix|1325087343|3090004 said:
I love it too and so does DH. I'm originally from Vietnam and have been taught by my mom how to make the most delicious Pho. I shall try and post a recipe when I get home (we're having our holiday in VN now actually :)) ).

Omg really? I'm here too! I'm in danang! And the pho is better here than I've ever had in the USA! The Chinese food is better here than in china too though lol

Also the viet coffee is amazing --- and the reason I can't sleep right now lol I o ly slept 2.5 hr last night and it's almost 1:30 am here in Vietnam... I'm on a caffeine high!

I saw your posting about holidaying in VN - how fun! I was actually born in Danang but haven't visited it as an adult. How do you find it? DH and I have been in Hue, the old imperial city and it's absolutely AMAZING - the place is steep in history! My ancestors were from here so this trip has huge significance for me.

LOL, the pho should be better in VN than in the US! :wink2: I agree with you abt the Chinese food too, since Vietnamese do not like their food (any kind) too greasy.

VN coffee is so strong it can peel off paint, I reckon. I only ever drink maybe one third or one quarter of a cup - otherwise I'd be up all night too.

Re yr other post, yes, holy basil, cilantro/ coriander and spring onions are the usual condiments, on top of beansprouts.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You are all making me hungry! I've never had pho either, but after all of your descriptions, I'm anxious to try it. I looked on urbanspoon.com for some places in Atlanta and came up with a couple, but since they only serve pho, I doubt my kids will eat it. Does it travel well (i.e. could I pick it up and re-heat it for dinner)?

If not, I'll be waiting for Phoenix's recipe and will try it that way (yay for no MSG!).....

psadmin

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Cehrabehra|1325124055|3090468 said:

I have been very busy, but I plan to post a little more as time permits. I am actually with my in-laws and my Mother-in-law made pho the other day. She really puts a lot of love in it. For her pho I hardly add any Sirachi or Hoisin. There is so much flavor in it already.

Thank you

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
PS Admin|1325174008|3090747 said:
Cehrabehra|1325124055|3090468 said:

I have been very busy, but I plan to post a little more as time permits. I am actually with my in-laws and my Mother-in-law made pho the other day. She really puts a lot of love in it. For her pho I hardly add any Sirachi or Hoisin. There is so much flavor in it already.

Thank you

My Vietnamese friends get indignant when anyone puts sauce into the broth. Says the point is to taste the pure yummy goodness and not mask it with hot sauce and hoisin, and I agree! When it's good broth, not much is needed! I do use it to dip the meat though...

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
PHX, looking forward to your recipe!!!

My parents are babysitting so we can have a PHO date! :cheeky: :cheeky:

eta: I don't like sauces in my Pho either :nono:

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Phoenix, there's a few of us anxiously awaiting your recipe :)

When I saw Andrey post, I half-thought we were getting in trouble for making people hungry. :)

I've only had pho in restaurants so would LOVE to try to make it at home. So jealous of all you folks that get homemade pho-goodness.

And VIP, I'd TOTALLY go to your 24 hr pho restaurant!

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
For me to be obsessed with it I'd have to have ever heard of it. :o

ImperfectGirl

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I've never had Pho but you all have convinced me. Found a place in my city with the best reviews and I'm trying it tonight!!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you're a beginner, have Pho Tai.

blueberrydot

Shiny_Rock
Yenny, most places where I am (Socal, where there is a HUGE Vietnamese population) will serve pho to go - they will give you the broth in a separate container from the noodles/meat. Once you get it home, you heat up the broth piping hot then you just drop the noodles in, swirl it around for a few seconds and feast! :)

ETA: Pho isn't really good as leftovers - the flavor is still there but the noodles will get soft and mushy, which isn't to most peoples' tastes and that's why the broth and noodles are served in separate containers when taken to go. But if you like it I doubt there will be leftovers :)

yennyfire|1325170075|3090722 said:
You are all making me hungry! I've never had pho either, but after all of your descriptions, I'm anxious to try it. I looked on urbanspoon.com for some places in Atlanta and came up with a couple, but since they only serve pho, I doubt my kids will eat it. Does it travel well (i.e. could I pick it up and re-heat it for dinner)?

If not, I'll be waiting for Phoenix's recipe and will try it that way (yay for no MSG!).....

mol42

Shiny_Rock
yennyfire|1325170075|3090722 said:

Yenny--
One of my fave pho places in ATL is Pho Bac on Buford Hwy. It's a dive, but IMHO those are the best pho restaurants! No ambience, white walls, folding chairs, little service. Like, you better order PRONTO when they come around cuz they won't come back again. Also, you might want to try the Vietnamese sandwiches and/or the BBQ pork and vermicelli. Yum!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results