shape
carat
color
clarity

Any pathologists around?

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Hello all.

I know we have quite a few medical members about. Are any of you pathologists? None of my friends went into pathology and I have a protocol question.

I recently read that pathologists don't quantify/count eosinophils per HPF if just distal esophageal biopsies are taken. Is this true?

Back story if you care: I'm in primary care pediatrics. My son's ENT is suspicious that he might have eosinophilic esophagitis. His GI disagrees because his last scope (which took 2 distal esophageal biopsies and none medial or proximal) read "normal appearing" without providing a count of actual eos. I'm extra suspicious because the macroscopic observations noted "white plaques" throughout the esophagus which were negative for candida. This, in addition to FTT, reflux symptoms unimproved by a dose of Prevacid *i* would take, routine choking/coughing with feeds and feeding aversions have me worried we are missing something more than GERD.

Because I recently read that protocol suggests pathologists reviewing just distal biopsies needn't count eos per HPF, I'm wondering if I should request to have his slides pulled and counted. If this is untrue then I will simply follow up with GI, allergy and ENT as planned.

Thank you very much!!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I work in pathology, but not in that particular discipline, so can't offer much help on my own part. However, if I get a chance I'll pop over to histo/cyto and see if one of the ladies over there can answer your question. I don't know if protocol varies substantially between countries though, so whatever answer I get may not be applicable to you.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
justginger, you are a wonderful example of a pricescoper helping a pricescoper! :appl:

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you so much, justginger! I appreciate that you would even consider asking for a faceless stranger!

justginger

Ideal_Rock
No worries - but now that I'm back to studying full time and working part time, I won't be at the hospital until Friday. I'll ask then and get back to you. :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results