shape
carat
color
clarity

Any other adults who don't know how to ride a bike?

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So for reasons that harken back to a really odd childhood (topic for a whole 'nother thread!) I never learned how to ride a bike. I've been toying with the idea of getting a tricycle because I really do think it's too late for me to learn to ride a bike (with any confidence, anyway!).

Does anyone else have an adult tricycle? Any advice in what to look for, especially in terms of size (I'm about 5' feet tall... on a good day). Is this just a stupid idea? (To quote my best friend, there are easier ways to commit suicide that won't make such a mess.) Does something like this automatically come with an AARP card...?

Will be interested in any opinions!

trike.jpg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it! At least you'd get the benefits of cycling without having to worry about balancing a bike.

Have you tried to learn to ride a bike as an adult? I doubt it's only for the young to learn but we were all so fearless when young. I can remember being told by a cousin to get on, keep peddling and don't look back. Don't know why I was so fascinated with what was behind me but it's a surefire way to wreck! I loved riding a bicycle though; something so freeing about it.

I don't think our version is such a bad thing though - could be lots of fun and exercise for you!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
DeeJay, Come out to the suburbs and I will teach you. On second thought, I rode my bike into the side of the house when my dad was teaching me how to ride. If you don't do well on a bike I have a paddle boat in the back yard. You can peddle around the lake in our backyard. You can drink wine and peddle in the boat at the same time!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
That bike is cute and I would ride one! I bought a bicycle - a Specialized mountain bike, back in 2008 after not having ridden one for about 25 years, because DH was riding and I thought it would be fun to do together. Yea...on my first trail ride some a$$shole on a speed bike came racing around the turn on the trail screaming at me "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" because he thought I was over the line (I wasn't) and freaked me out so bad that I went over the handlebars and face planted on the pavement. DH was behind me and witnessed the whole event. It was incredibly painful, not to mention embarrassing. I have the scars to show for it, and almost lost a tooth. The jerk didn't even come back until about 30 minutes later (I was still sitting on the trail trying to get the bleeding on my lip and chin to stop) to make sure I was ok. He's lucky DH was more concerned about my safety, otherwise he probably would have killed him! :angryfire: I won't be getting on another 2-wheeler after that. DH did get me some Tylenol PM, ice cream and flowers, though, to cheer me up! :love:

But yea...I'd totally ride a 3-wheeler!

NOYFB

Ideal_Rock
Calliecake|1436219441|3899625 said:
DeeJay, Come out to the suburbs and I will teach you. On second thought, I rode my bike into the side of the house when my dad was teaching me how to ride. If you don't do well on a bike I have a paddle boat in the back yard. You can peddle around the lake in our backyard. You can drink wine and peddle in the boat at the same time!

That sounds fun! Can I come, too? :wink2:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well... I sort of can. On flat, smooth ground if I don't have to stop. Not so good at getting going either... Or turning.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
D.J
You grew up in the U.S. and you don't how to ride a bike?... :-o

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that's a great idea Dee Jay. Something else you might want to think about is a recumbent tricycle. As we get older back pain can start being a challenge on the road bikes and the recumbent can bring delicious relief. I am looking into getting a recumbent tandem in fact.

http://www.bicycleman.com/recumbents/trikes/recumbent-trikes.htm

http://bicycleoutfitters.net/recumbents/recumbent-trikes/

and just for fun here's a recumbent tandem.

http://www.tandemride.com

Good luck with your search and enjoy! Cycling is (still) one of my favorite activities and it is a freeing feeling when you are out there with the wind in your face. Almost as if you are flying. So much fun. Hope you find just the right trike for you. :appl:

recumbenttrike.png

recumbenttandem.jpg

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Make sure the frame size is comfortable for you. I'm 5' tall, and I've found most of the women's 26" cruiser bikes are literally too much of a stretch from seat to handlebars, and they pitch me forward. The tricycle stands by itself, but if you get a 2-wheel bike, you'll need a small frame size akin to what they use for the 24" kid's bikes at WalMart.

I see no reason why you can't learn to ride a 2 wheel. Try to borrow or buy an old single speed bike and take it to some grassy area and just play with it. Falling on grass is lost softer than pavement. Trying to learn on bike frame that's too big for you is going to be a lot harder than on a smaller one that fits you. Maybe you can get a kid's bike for $25 or so at a thrift shop or pawn shop. Or, as I said, borrow one.

niagaracycle.com sells for $85 a set of adjustable training wheels for go up to 26" wheels. You can find similar or same on ebay for $60. There are adult "stabilizer wheels" that fit on either side of the back wheel. Those cost $180 or so.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fit is critical. Best to buy at a reputable bike shop so they can measure you and order the best frame for you and then fit it to you when it arrives. We ordered a custom tandem for that very reason as I have very long arms and legs so needed a custom fit but for your purposes I think a good fit can be had with a non custom order. Just make sure you get it where they will measure you and order the right size bike.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lil Misfit|1436226824|3899684 said:
That bike is cute and I would ride one! I bought a bicycle - a Specialized mountain bike, back in 2008 after not having ridden one for about 25 years, because DH was riding and I thought it would be fun to do together. Yea...on my first trail ride some a$$shole on a speed bike came racing around the turn on the trail screaming at me "ON YOUR LEFT!!!" because he thought I was over the line (I wasn't) and freaked me out so bad that I went over the handlebars and face planted on the pavement. DH was behind me and witnessed the whole event. It was incredibly painful, not to mention embarrassing. I have the scars to show for it, and almost lost a tooth. The jerk didn't even come back until about 30 minutes later (I was still sitting on the trail trying to get the bleeding on my lip and chin to stop) to make sure I was ok. He's lucky DH was more concerned about my safety, otherwise he probably would have killed him! :angryfire: I won't be getting on another 2-wheeler after that. DH did get me some Tylenol PM, ice cream and flowers, though, to cheer me up! :love:

But yea...I'd totally ride a 3-wheeler!

Aww sorry about that lil misfit. You sure you don't want to give it another chance? Don't let one bad apple ruin it for you. It's so much fun. Maybe a trike is something you can enjoy instead if you really don't want to get back on the two wheeler again. Or a road bike instead of a trail bike.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use to ride a bike all the time when I was young even up until I was in my 30's..then I got old...I tried again a couple of years ago (I am now 54)..nope didnt happen, I ended up falling 4 times..I gave up before I really hurt myself lol....yea a three wheeler is the way to go..word of warning I have ridden three wheelers they arent quite as easy as they look, they take a little getting use to..once you get the hang of them they are fun to ride!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MGR, LOL on “don’t look back!” I have tried (rather loosely) to learn as an adult… about 15 years ago… there may have been alcohol involved…

Callie, the first time I tried to ski I ran straight into the lift shack! Paddle boats with wine – now that’s an activity I can wrap my head around though!

Lil M, holy cow, that’s quite an experience you had! As for that whole “on your left” thing – I hate it! People do it in the city all the time; cyclists, joggers, people with strollers and walking dogs. I always have to think it through – are you approach me from behind on my left, or do you want me to move to the left? Needless to say I’ve cut more than a few people off by accident!

TP, flat, smooth ground, no stopping or starting, definitely no turning – I’m good with all that!

DF, nuts, isn’t it? I grew up with my grandparents and we lived on a crazy steep hill. It was bad enough getting the car out of the driveway, let along the idea of riding a bike, so somehow that little childhood skill got skipped.

Missy, that recumbent looks very *technical*! Plus, I’m afraid to be the low because I don’t know that people in cars/SUVs will be able to see me as it is, not to mention every driver in the city is busy texting, painting their toenails, and eating a seven course meal all at the same time behind the wheel so they aren’t paying any attention to what’s going on around them.

Ada, I’ve been reading the reviews and I think a 24” may be the way to go with my size. There are some bike stores around the city and I think I’ll call around and see if anyone even carries a adult trike so I can try it out.

Diamondrnglover, yeah, the “I got old” part is what I’m thinking of here! Last time I went skiing I tore my ACL. I directly attribute that to “I got old” and I am afraid the equivalent of that when you add a road full of distracted drivers to the mix translates to “I got dead”…

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I had been considering getting a bike in the past few months thanks to Missy. I also thought my husband would like it if we got bikes but after hearing diamondrnglover's and Lil Misfit's stories I think I need to rethink that. Paddle boat and a glass of wine I believe is the way to go once you hit 50. I wish I was coordinated and not such a klutz!

Lil Misfit and Diamindrnglover, I'm sorry about your experiences! Lil Misfit your story would never get me on a bike again!

Sky56

Brilliant_Rock
I know how to ride a bike but refuse to get on one. I'm being a wet noodle, but in recent years, 2 people in my life - one a paraplegic and the other dead --adults in bicycle accidents.

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
I fall right over. I am not graceful, or have good balance. which is sad because Id love to ride.

chatbandit

Shiny_Rock
i learned late, being a terribly cautious and fearful kid. And at age 11 when I finally had mastered it, I promptly hit a pothole and went over the handle bars, bruising my chest terribly, getting a wild bump on one eyebrow and permanently messing up one of my thumbnails. So I haven't tried since. I've often gone on tandem rides, but never thought to try an adult tricycle!

iLander

Ideal_Rock
Go to a bike rental place. Get yourself padded up. Gloves too, hands get so scraped up. Spend an hour and learn. You can do it! :appl:

Six year olds can do it. Are they smarter than you? No, of course not!

But then again, you've got the world's awesomest car, who needs a bike? :bigsmile:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reminder. After remembering all the "fun" I just hauled out my bicycle and am headed to sell it.
Don't know what it is worth. Probably not much. 5 speed Huey (heuey?). Brand new condition as I seldom used.... And I always broke its fall :rolleyes:

TooPatient

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander|1436303073|3900064 said:
Go to a bike rental place. Get yourself padded up. Gloves too, hands get so scraped up. Spend an hour and learn. You can do it! :appl:

Six year olds can do it. Are they smarter than you? No, of course not!

But then again, you've got the world's awesomest car, who needs a bike? :bigsmile:

Yes! Better than any bike!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results