shape
carat
color
clarity

Any one used Invisalign?

manderz

Brilliant_Rock
I need braces. I should have listened to the dentist when I was a kid, and gotten it taken care of then, when the parent's insurance would have covered it. Well, now I'm thinking about going for it. Invisalign would be my top choice, but I wanted to hear some unbiased opinions about it before I schedule an appointment for a consultation. So, what did you think? Are you pleased with the results?

Thanks guys!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I turned out NOT to be a candidate for Invisalign, but my former dentist wore Invisalign and was very happy with the results. You will need a complete consultation to determine whether you will need regular braces or any other dental work before having Invisalign, but I've never heard any negative reviews about it! Good luck! :wavey:

PS: I was an adult (27-28) who ended up in full braces (after oral surgery, to boot) to correct my orthodontic issues! I LOVED having braces, though. You will do just fine no matter what.

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
Hi there, honestly the braces in your youth don't make a different in adulthood sometimes. I had braces from 11-13, wore the retainer, and followed my instructions. Teeth have a natural progression to move forward and get out of place unless you wear a retainer for the rest of your life. Now at 25 I am waiting for my first invisalign to come in. I have heard nothing but good things from people. As long as you remember to brush your teeth before popping them back in (you have to take them out for meals) then they are not really many problems after you get used to them. When I get my first trays they will show me a digital image of what my teeth look like now and what they will look like when it is all done. I can give you a better opinion once I get them!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
My DD (18 yrs old) had regular braces and then a retainer, but even with the retainer she had slippage with one lower tooth. The orthodontist was able to shave down that tooth a little (not enough spcae for the tooth) and gave her an invisalign to use instead of her retainer for the lower teeth. She has been using this invisalign for 3 months and said it is very comfortable and the tooth shifted back into place. She sees the ortho again in August and I am waiting to hear is she will need another lower retainer (she is going to college in the fall) or if she is to continue to use the invisalign.

Someone else we know who also had braces, but did not wear her retainers go the invisalign and she loves them and wears them religiously. She got them the same time my DD got the one for her lower teeth and I saw this girl over the weekend and it seems like her teeth have almost shifted back into place. I think she said she is getting a new set to make sure her teeth are as straight as they can be.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I got Invisalign in my 50s. Very satisfied with the results. I had major lower crowding and had one tooth removed (it was dead) to make room. One thing you must understand. You should wear your retainer religiously for the rest of your life. I wear mine every night. Other people I know who did not, have had their teeth all shift back. I don't know if it has to do with age or what. My son can go without his retainer for a couple days before feeling it. I can tell after about 14 hours that there had been some shifting.

Good luck with your consultation. I believe there is another thread on PS about Invisalign.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Katey is right, your teeth can move over time, mine did. Some people get lucky with that, others don't.

My BIL is an orthodontist and does Invisalign. They are wonderful compared to the old railroad track type. I've had both, and it's a night and day difference.

If you are a candidate (and you'd be shocked at how bad teeth can be and still qualify) I would wholeheartedly say go for it!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I haven't had Invisalign, but I have two close friends who have. One friend hated them and quit wearing them. The other friend wears hers and likes them. I notice that they make her talk funny though, which for me, might be a deal-breaker.

PierreBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just sharing my experience. I had braces as a teen and I'm in my 30s now and though my teeth have shifted slightly, it's still in good shape when I pop in my retainer overnight about every week or so. Just wanted to share though that my husband on the other hand, his orthodontist had wire built in behind his bottom teeth. Never knew that was even an option and thought it would be uncomfortable but he doesn't notice it as he's gotten used to it.

So sorry no commentary on Invisalign but whichever route you take to straighten your teeth, don't let all that effort/money go to waste and wear that silly retainer or get some wiring put in. Good luck with the process!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^I think my husband had something similar. He had braces as a kid and then his dentist wired in some sort of semi-permanent retainer-type thing behind his bottom teeth. Years ago, we ran into his old dentist while we were visiting my husband's old home town and the dentist was shocked to find out that the wiring was still in his mouth, so he told my husband to stop by and he would remove it for him. Now his teeth are crooked again (it started to become noticeable shortly after the removal and gradually got worse over the next few months) :errrr: We should have left it alone...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1471353704|4066562 said:
I haven't had Invisalign, but I have two close friends who have. One friend hated them and quit wearing them. The other friend wears hers and likes them. I notice that they make her talk funny though, which for me, might be a deal-breaker.
Not sure why they would make her talk funny. I never had any problems with that, nor anyone else I knew that wore them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results